Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

ilkhan posted:

I just switched to the $50 simple mobile plan from the nerd plan. Now I get to debate switching up a notch. $10 to triple my full speed data and add rollover aint bad. I need to see how much data I end up using.

Why did you switch from the nerd plan? Did you need the unlimited minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Brock Landers posted:

Why did you switch from the nerd plan? Did you need the unlimited minutes?
New job. I was on a conference call troubleshooting the office phone system on day 4 that lasted 95 minutes.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't AT&T have a patent on the concept of rollover? I wouldn't be surprised if they try to sue T-Mobile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can I see my data stash already? I assume it's not retroactive. Can I downgrade to 1 GB then upgrade back to 3 GB and get the 10 GB stash?

EDIT: Actually bothered to go read the site: Starts with the January billing cycle and all eligible plans get preloaded with the 10 GB data stash, but it doesn't start building until that's used. Seems like a nice way for people to downgrade their plan for a few months to burn through the stash if they use somewhere between their current plan and the next one down.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 17, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Can I see my data stash already? I assume it's not retroactive. Can I downgrade to 1 GB then upgrade back to 3 GB and get the 10 GB stash?

EDIT: Actually bothered to go read the site: Starts with the January billing cycle and all eligible plans get preloaded with the 10 GB data stash, but it doesn't start building until that's used. Seems like a nice way for people to downgrade their plan for a few months to burn through the stash if they use somewhere between their current plan and the next one down.
For phones it only really applies to the 3GB and 5GB plans. Doesn't apply to full unlimited, and doesn't apply to the 1GB. It might be a reason for unlim guys to step down to 5GB, but I wouldn't bet on that.
Its a reason for 1GB people to step up to the 3GB, and the 10GB is a lot of bonus data, but the question there is how much they actually use. Stepping up to get rollover is fine but not very helpful if you are never actually going to use that data.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Especially if all your music streaming is already not counted.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

ruby idiot railed posted:

Especially if all your music streaming is already not counted.

Mine isn't counted, as I tend to use Tune-in Radio a lot - I'm turning into my grandfather and am listening to the local police scanner lots.

I've also been doing a lot more tweeting and uploading of photos that way, so it'll definitely help with that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Endless Mike posted:

You have to upgrade to a 3GB or higher plan before Jan 1st to get the 10GB Data Stash, I think... Then you keep that as long as you stay on a plan 3GB or higher. Downgrade to 1GB, and you lose it.

Data only rolls over for 1 year too.

I've never used more than 1GB, though it's tempting because I'd probably watch a lot more streaming video with it on my train commute to work. Then I did the math and realized I'd be paying for $10 more a month to basically stream 15 minutes of video a day. I could stream maybe 2 movies a month. For $10 I could just rent two movie on iTunes and not have to worry about the hassle of streaming... loving data costs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had rollover minutes with AT&T years ago and realized it was only good for people perpetually on the edge. If you are always going over, it doesn't help. If you never go over, then you keep building in perpetuity and never dip into it.

It's nice to have a buffer, but not something I would pay extra for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a 3 GB plan, so it sounds like I'll get the 10 GB next month.

quote:

Plus, if you have an eligible plan, we’ll pre-build your stash with a one-time up to 10GB 4G LTE Free Data Stash. Once you’ve used up that stash, you’ll automatically start rolling your unused 4G LTE high-speed data into the next month.

ilkhan posted:

For phones it only really applies to the 3GB and 5GB plans. Doesn't apply to full unlimited, and doesn't apply to the 1GB. It might be a reason for unlim guys to step down to 5GB, but I wouldn't bet on that.
Its a reason for 1GB people to step up to the 3GB, and the 10GB is a lot of bonus data, but the question there is how much they actually use. Stepping up to get rollover is fine but not very helpful if you are never actually going to use that data.
I stepped down from unlimited to 3 GB when I realized I was using under that every month, and often below 2 GB since I only stream over wireless for maybe an hour a day. I could easily see people on 5 GB plans who use 3-5 GB a month or even unlimited, but in the 5-10 GB range of usage, stepping down for a bit and burning through the 10 GB before going back to whatever they were at.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The 2 line unlimited special isn't that much more than 2 3GB lines, right?. I was about to switch to the unlimited plan before I heard about the data stash. I thought I rarely use over 2GB anyway, but someone I've gone over 2 GB already this month after getting my new Moto X

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I must be in that rare group because my usage this month is already at 50GBs.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

hiddenriverninja posted:

I must be in that rare group because my usage this month is already at 50GBs.

Your phone is a communications device and you should not be running torrents on it. Oops is the wrong thread for that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

r0ck0 posted:

Your phone is a communications device and you should not be running torrents on it. Oops is the wrong thread for that?

Is there a proper thread for making up nonsense about how people are supposed to use their computers?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Is there a proper thread for making up nonsense about how people are supposed to use their computers?

YOSPOS?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=219

Edit: you mean phones, cause these are not computers.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358561&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=459#post438784521

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 18, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

r0ck0 posted:

I can see myself running over 2/3 GB easily with heavy Ballstreams HD and Plex usage. And if I had unlimited I might not even bother with free Wifi hotspots that end up being only around 1mb

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I have a question. Are the old legacy plans essentially grandfathered in perpetuity?

Versus the new Simple Choice plans.... Are those prices set in stone? Or are there mechanisms for both legacy plans and the new plans that make them easily subject to price increases?

Like I wouldn't mind moving to Simple Choice....

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I can see myself running over 2/3 GB easily with heavy Ballstreams HD and Plex usage. And if I had unlimited I might not even bother with free Wifi hotspots that end up being only around 1mb

Thats basically me except replace free wifi hotspots with crappy office wifi.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Insane Totoro posted:

I have a question. Are the old legacy plans essentially grandfathered in perpetuity?

Versus the new Simple Choice plans.... Are those prices set in stone? Or are there mechanisms for both legacy plans and the new plans that make them easily subject to price increases?

Like I wouldn't mind moving to Simple Choice....
I'm not sure there's a legal requirement for grandfathering unless you're under contract, but T-Mobile has already done their biggest (yet) push to move customers off legacy plans and it was nearly always to equal or better plans at equal or better prices. A tiny handful of edge cases were a bit worse off, but most of those had customer service options to correct this. There are exceptions like $2.99 unlimited T-Zones that worked for smartphone internet for a while, but that wasn't a reasonable expectation anyway.

If Simple Choice is a better fit or price for you, you can pretty safely move to it. If T-Mobile totally changes course and screws you for as much money as possible with plan changes, grandfathered plans aren't any better than current ones (and are probably worse, since fewer customers would be affected and there'd be a bigger PR mess).

In most cases, Simple Choice or Nerd Plan are pretty good.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody know if it's possible buy a phone from T-Mobile without a service plan?

I'd like to buy a Note 4 (GSM) from T-Mobile because it has an unlocked bootloader, but I plan to use it with AT&T.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Does anybody know if it's possible buy a phone from T-Mobile without a service plan?

I'd like to buy a Note 4 (GSM) from T-Mobile because it has an unlocked bootloader, but I plan to use it with AT&T.

I don't think any carrier allows this actually. I could be wrong, but I'm sure at the very least Verizon doesn't allow this in stores at least.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

r0ck0 posted:

It's really not hard to use a ton of data on "normal" stuff. I ride a commuter bus an hour each way to/from work and stream Netflix (usually only in the morning) which gets me to 20-30 gb/month quite easily.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Vinlaen posted:

Even if you had a friend on a Tmo plan buy it, you'd still need to sim unlock it, which Tmo might or might not do immediately at purchase. They've had some sort of undocumented 60 or 90-day use policy before they issue an unlock code. I bought a G2 from them this last summer, and they sent me a code after the time was up.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

The only way to do this would be to pay full price for it and sign up for the cheapest simple choice plan (no contract, so no ETF when you cancel in month 2). T-Mobile will unlock a paid-off postpaid device after 40 days so you'd be paying for a month and a half of service in addition to the phone. Is ~$80 worth the unlocked bootloader? that's up to you.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

heffray posted:

I'm not sure there's a legal requirement for grandfathering unless you're under contract, but T-Mobile has already done their biggest (yet) push to move customers off legacy plans and it was nearly always to equal or better plans at equal or better prices. A tiny handful of edge cases were a bit worse off, but most of those had customer service options to correct this. There are exceptions like $2.99 unlimited T-Zones that worked for smartphone internet for a while, but that wasn't a reasonable expectation anyway.

If Simple Choice is a better fit or price for you, you can pretty safely move to it. If T-Mobile totally changes course and screws you for as much money as possible with plan changes, grandfathered plans aren't any better than current ones (and are probably worse, since fewer customers would be affected and there'd be a bigger PR mess).

In most cases, Simple Choice or Nerd Plan are pretty good.

So basically a carrier is under no obligation to honor a monthly price once the actual two year contract is up?

And having a more up to date plan is actually far more beneficial for preventing a surprise price hike?

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Any idea if Amazon prime music is covered by the not counting against data yet? Or if it ever will be?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Insane Totoro posted:

So basically a carrier is under no obligation to honor a monthly price once the actual two year contract is up?
I'm not sure if this is a real question, but in case it is, that is true. Once the contract is up, neither party is obligated to each other beyond the implied "month to month" payment arrangement. Either party can propose changes to the previously agreed upon terms, and if the other party declines to accept, they simply walk away from the entire thing.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
T-mobile sent me an email saying that my data will start rolling over to the next month. Why do they tease? I'm on the dork plan, any chance this will apply?

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/data-stash-customers.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not unless the nerd plan somehow became a postpaid Simple Choice plan.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
So, I'm in the process of switching over and found out the hard way that our Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't support wifi calling (didn't know) or 4G LTE (did know). Does T-Mobile sell pre-owned iPhone 5s or is there a reputable place to buy a used T-Mobile one?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Does T-Mobile sell pre-owned iPhone 5s or is there a reputable place to buy a used T-Mobile one?
Sometimes, but I don't see any inventory currently on their website.

Haven't had a reason to use it myself but I see swappa mentioned here every so often.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Thanks for both. I'm going to assume some will show up on both after Xmas.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Endless Mike posted:

Not unless the nerd plan somehow became a postpaid Simple Choice plan.

Just like they said about streaming music stuff not counting against your data?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm currently doing a T-Mobile test drive (for the next 6 days) and I'm thinking about transferring in 2 lines on that $100 Unlimited Everything plan. It's for a limited time only, and I don't know when it's ending.

Does anyone have any insight? Perhaps a T-Mo employee? :ohdear:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Once the promotion ends, you keep everything you have, you just won't be able to pick it up on any additional lines.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

FordPRefectLL posted:

Once the promotion ends, you keep everything you have, you just won't be able to pick it up on any additional lines.

Do you know when the promotion will end though? I just care about bringing in 2 lines, for unlimited everything for 100 bucks

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

r0ck0 posted:

Just like they said about streaming music stuff not counting against your data?

I tried a bunch of the services on the list and they all count against my data, which really sucks since my new phone doesnt have an sd card.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

How did you check if they counted? My phone says 1.2GB used, t-mo's account page says 200MB.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
by streaming music and watching the counter on the app go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Ads, metadata and such all still count, but Spotify definitely isn't hitting my nerd plan data bucket to the full extent that it would without "music freedom."