Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wade Wilson posted:

A few years ago I bought a bottle of bulletproof black ink called "Heart of Darkness" that came with a pen where the "cartridge" was literally the body of the pen.

Unscrew the tip, use the eyedropper to fill the pen, screw the tip back on, back in business.

Was this their basic "Flex pen" that you find on Amazon?

I'm pretty sure that Heart of Darkness came with an eyedropper-converted Platinum Preppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

A few years ago I bought a bottle of bulletproof black ink called "Heart of Darkness" that came with a pen where the "cartridge" was literally the body of the pen.

Unscrew the tip, use the eyedropper to fill the pen, screw the tip back on, back in business.

Was this their basic "Flex pen" that you find on Amazon?

Nope. If it looked like this, that's a Platinum Preppy. If it looked like the Airmail 69T or 444 or 67T or 90 with a little plastic bit on the barrel end that screwed off and matched the cap plastic? If so, still no, I have no idea WTF that thing is but it's not a Creaper. I've got one though.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Remora posted:

Nope. If it looked like this, that's a Platinum Preppy. If it looked like the Airmail 69T or 444 or 67T or 90 with a little plastic bit on the barrel end that screwed off and matched the cap plastic? If so, still no, I have no idea WTF that thing is but it's not a Creaper. I've got one though.

I've actually emailed Noodler's and Goulet about the free pen that isn't a converted Preppy that comes with some bottles (like Nikita) and it's apparently not available to purchase outside of buying a bottle of ink that comes with one.

Edit: I just looked closer at the Airmail 67T and that's totally it. They must have just bought a bunch cheap and rebranded them.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I would gladly buy the Chaos Skull Insanity pen for upwards of $100, but my mind is simultaneously melted and blown by its actual price.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zorblack posted:

I would gladly buy the Chaos Skull Insanity pen for upwards of $100, but my mind is simultaneously melted and blown by its actual price.

holy loving dicks

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Magnus Praeda posted:

Edit: I just looked closer at the Airmail 67T and that's totally it. They must have just bought a bunch cheap and rebranded them.

Mine has the silver hardware of the 67T but the longer after-barrel section of the 90, and a totally different cap band than either (maybe the one off the 69T?), so it's a little more than rebranding.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

My interest went very quickly from "I want one" to "nope".

Actually... Montegrappa's headquarters are about 30 minutes by car away from where I live.

I'll get my wire cutters and loot bag.

Obligatory disclaimer: just joking.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

My interest went very quickly from "I want one" to "nope".

Actually... Montegrappa's headquarters are about 30 minutes by car away from where I live.

I'll get my wire cutters and loot bag.

Obligatory disclaimer: just joking.

We wouldn't look down on you for breaking in to Montegrappa and looting the place.

We'd look down on you if that was the only thing you took.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My girlfriend got me a great Lamy Safari and I like the body much more than my Pilot Metro. But I like the metro's nib better (and the cartridge converter). Can I pull both the nib and the converter out of the metro and shove them in the Lamy?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

My girlfriend got me a great Lamy Safari and I like the body much more than my Pilot Metro. But I like the metro's nib better (and the cartridge converter). Can I pull both the nib and the converter out of the metro and shove them in the Lamy?

No, they're not interchangeable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there an ink that's garish enough to be paired with CHAOS PEN?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Maybe the J Herbin Anniversary red? It's red...and it has gold in it

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Crush up some gold leaf and mix it with Noodler's baystate cranberry.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grack posted:

No, they're not interchangeable.

Thanks. I'll order a finer lamy nib and a converter.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

blue squares posted:

Thanks. I'll order a finer lamy nib and a converter.

Look at the Kakuno. It has the same nib as the metro (with an added smiley face) and a similar body to the Lamy.

Unlike getting a fine/extra-fine Lamy nib, it is likely that the kakuno will actually be usable.

http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=kakuno

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lord Girlyman posted:

Unlike getting a fine/extra-fine Lamy nib, it is likely that the kakuno will actually be usable.

what does this mean? Sounds like you're saying that a fine Lamy isn't good, but looking online at reviews that say otherwise.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 18, 2014

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
The Lamy F is way scratchier and a bit thicker of a line than the Kakuno F. I've used both at work and I couldn't be happier with the Kakuno (that I shoved into a Metro body).

: )

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh... well I want to use the Lamy she got me. I have never liked the body on my Metro. The Lamy feels great. Medium is just too thick for me, though. I like writing small letters. Once I get my converter in the mail I'll fill it up with my noodler's ink but I doubt that'll make a difference in the weight of the lines.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 18, 2014

surc
Aug 17, 2004

blue squares posted:

Oh... well I want to use the Lamy she got me. I have never liked the body on my Metro. The Lamy feels great.

:iamafag::respek::razz:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ugh bummer, I think the Metro I dropped may actually be busted. I used it some more today and it didn't leak, but the nib was definitely shifting as I wrote and the cap felt loose. Guess along with a replacement Plumix I'll be getting a whole new Metro to put the nib in (because one just isn't enough).

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Swagger Dagger posted:

Gonna get it and then put highlighter ink into it

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

blue squares posted:

Oh... well I want to use the Lamy she got me. I have never liked the body on my Metro. The Lamy feels great. Medium is just too thick for me, though. I like writing small letters. Once I get my converter in the mail I'll fill it up with my noodler's ink but I doubt that'll make a difference in the weight of the lines.

Pick up an F or EF nib from Goulet and try it for yourself. I use an EF Lamy Safari daily and haven't ever found it "too scratchy" or anything of the sort.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I have to thank Mikl for linking this thread in an LP thread. Thanks to you, I have a Metro and a bottle of Iroshizuku kon-peki. I am both excited and terrified at this turn of events.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Magnus Praeda posted:

Pick up an F or EF nib from Goulet and try it for yourself. I use an EF Lamy Safari daily and haven't ever found it "too scratchy" or anything of the sort.

Yeah, I got an EF black nib/body Safari just for the looks and I was surprised how well it wrote. It doesn't have as nice of a writing experience as a Metro but it starts reliably and performs well enough that I carry it often, and probably more than either of my Metros.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

Literal blood. Just cut yourself and syringe your veins into the pen

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Llab posted:

I have to thank Mikl for linking this thread in an LP thread. Thanks to you, I have a Metro and a bottle of Iroshizuku kon-peki. I am both excited and terrified at this turn of events.

One of us, one of us :unsmigghh:

(You're welcome.)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

Literal blood. Just cut yourself and syringe your veins into the pen

For ~$66,000 it better damned well come with a vial of Stallone's blood for ink.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Llab posted:

Those are both really great choices, good job.

I think I linked this thread in the Wet Shaving Thread and snagged some people that way, but there was a decent fountain pen derail going on in there at the time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Remora posted:

It actually looked more like the Wality 54FP.

I'm a bit pissed about it because I came back from work after the Thanksgiving break to find that the cleaning crew had broken it by somehow knocking it off my desk and then trying to vacuum it up. Hope they like having that black bulletproof ink all over the carpet!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Bought a Lamy Scala (black, fine nib) for £85 ($140?) and some Waterman intense black and Diamine quartz black and Three Candles paper. Haven't used it much but seems lovely. It hasn't got much flex but that's fine. I'll probably buy something cheaper with an italic nib for variety but that is for the future. Thanks for the advice.

E: Three Candlesticks no longer has watermarks on its paper. Booooo! :(

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 23, 2014

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

It hasn't got much flex but that's fine.

Is it meant to have any?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

chippy posted:

Is it meant to have any?

No. It is just I mentioned in an earlier post wanting to have a nib with flex and I decided (after trying a few pens in the shop) to go for something more rigid. This time, at least.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

No. It is just I mentioned in an earlier post wanting to have a nib with flex and I decided (after trying a few pens in the shop) to go for something more rigid. This time, at least.

Keep in mind how anything can "flex" if enough pressure is applied to it :v:

Whether or not you can un-flex it after is another story though. I think if you're curious about semi-flex there's always dip pens which offer max flex but not terribly expensive too.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Alder posted:

Keep in mind how anything can "flex" if enough pressure is applied to it :v:

Whether or not you can un-flex it after is another story though. I think if you're curious about semi-flex there's always dip pens which offer max flex but not terribly expensive too.

I used dip nibs a lot but was always frustrated by running out of ink early and cleaning every 15 min (using India ink). Also, using fine nibs on rougher paper (for drawing) is a nightmare with the tip snagging on fibre. Also it is hell writing anything at length if you are dipping every 1-2 lines. But in terms of flex and variety of line, yes, dip nibs are awesome. :)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My handwriting is horrendous still. So fun.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Luisfe posted:

My handwriting is horrendous still. So fun.

Good lord man, were you in some sort of accident?

My parents are both doctors and their handwriting is better.

Incidentally I have that exact model of Jinhao 599 and it writes smoother than any Lamy Safari/Al-Star/Vista I've ever tried.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

rjN4lYZzGmkyBC0CX9Zz
jyMDJ8DfH0EB0ZNtxHei
dteBj1HqGzMqwkZWXJms
sYR1vUEuVuEKhYawX7vr
pcg3954hdyvVhLeJ4W9Q
uewM1Aopstw0v518vm8L
J2NE7hSeRufjLVuc8YsC
6k8fDmCtD0pmLLKJgcGu
6Xyll6PP2fZ34wQD0mOQ
F6HcDNCaSW3rDzA2qpAF

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 28, 2023

rio
Mar 20, 2008

From what I can find online, the pen takes standard international cartridges, but a couple places specified that it had to be the long cartridges like a Waterman because they are a little narrower. So you could go for a Waterman converter. The thing that sucks with them is that you can fit so much more ink into the long cartridge that you might as well just keep refilling one with a syringe rather than use the converter. At least that's what I do. For what it's worth, the converter is built well. It is also glass (which I found out after dropping my first one).

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Zero Gravitas posted:

Its been a while since I've been in this thread, I turned to the dark side when I found Pilot V-Ball 0.5 pens. Now, I'm back and after a bit of advice.

Recently I've had a lot of hassle with Amazon with their suppliers not being able to tell the difference between Vball 0.5 and Hi-tech point 0.5s (I mean, its written on the side of each and every single loving pen! how hard can it be? I digress) so I've dug my old obsession out, but in the course of moving to a new house I'd managed to lose my small ink collection - the only bottle I have is a bottle of Parker red.

So off to Cult Pens I trundle, looking for a reasonably dark blue or blue black ink and a new line of Platignum pens catches my eye. I've always been short of cash and unable to drop loads of money on fountain pens (my go to pen is a £4 Parker Vector that I've had for six or seven years), but every so often I like to see what I can get for about £15 or so. In the past I've bought a couple of Platignum pens around this mark and they've been pretty great. Their original No.5 pen with incredible art deco styling was really good and the No.4 with a hooded nib was again a really good writer, but both these pens are surprisingly heavy. Also, these pens are now pretty much discontinued with the more recent version of the No.5 (sometimes marketed as the Studio) no longer having that art deco styling which is actually kind of a pity as it looks fantastic (GIS image:)

Anyway, I ended up getting a Platignum Vibe in black. Its only £10, has the kind of slim, minimalist styling I like and its a pretty smooth nib right out of the box. If they had a larger marketing budget they could probably dent Parker's dominance in the UK quite a bit with this.

The largest downside I've got with this pen is that it doesnt take either my Parker or my Faber Castell converter that I've previously used with my Platignum pens - the body is really narrow and the ink cartridge it came with is a snug fit. Does anyone know of a particularly slim converter? Otherwise as much as I like it, I'm never going to use it as its been a really long time since I've found a colour of ink I like that comes in cartridge form.

If you want to treat yourself to a cheapish upgrade again at some point, I went from a Parker Vector to a Lamy Safari and was amazed at the difference.

Incidentally thanks to whoever recommended I floss the nib of mine with a brass sheet after sodding it up by doodling on keyboard. It's sorted it out a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

There's also the thread title, which is there for a good reason.