Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Maxmaps posted:

Hey RoverDude, anychance you got a Skype or something we can talk over?

I have Skype if you want to talk...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Any way to toggle surface attachment in the new stock KSP editor? Only real thing I'm missing, along with vertical attachment hold.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Why does MKS in CKAN require toolbar? I've so far avoided the evil that is toolbar this version.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Geirskogul posted:

Any way to toggle surface attachment in the new stock KSP editor? Only real thing I'm missing, along with vertical attachment hold.

Hold down Alt.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Geirskogul posted:

This is sorely needed, yeah. I checked the Editor Extensions thread and it appears that it's been abandoned for 0.90.

The stock editor has vertical snap if you use the offset feature and manually count the "snaps" but being able to quickly hit "V" or "R" for vertical snap / surface attach was one of the main reasons I used that mod.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For some reason the "explore the Mun" contract isn't triggering for me. It's meant to show up once you complete "Orbit Kerbin", right? I wonder if I broke it by launching all of those sounding rockets, they seemed to confuse the early contracts a bit.

Spookydonut posted:

Why does MKS in CKAN require toolbar? I've so far avoided the evil that is toolbar this version.

Because it required toolbar in an earlier version and the netKAN file hasn't been updated to reflect that it doesn't anymore, presumably -- I did some cleanup on USI mod dependencies earlier today but must have missed that one. You can always install it and then manually delete the toolbar dll in the meantime.

I'm down to just one mod that wants toolbar, TAC LS. Hopefully the dependency gets removed as part of the 0.90 updates.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Luneshot posted:

Hold down Alt.

Alt toggles "attach only to node" mode. I'm talking about like in editor extensions, where you could make ANY part surface-attachable if you wanted to.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Maxmaps posted:

Hey RoverDude, anychance you got a Skype or something we can talk over?

Resistance is futile.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
I love the new experience for Kerbals, Maxmaps. Are there plans to give bonuses to all three classes at all five levels?

edit: Come to think, I'd love for the level 5 on all three to be some silly useless thing that everybody REALLY wants and tries to get. For example, the engineer could change the color of landing lights midflight (i.e. they finally learned how to change a lightbulb)

Thesoro fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 18, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Thesoro posted:

I love the new experience for Kerbals, Maxmaps. Are there plans to give bonuses to all three classes at all five levels?

edit: Come to think, I'd love for the level 5 on all three to be some silly useless thing that everybody REALLY wants and tries to get. For example, the engineer could change the color of landing lights midflight (i.e. they finally learned how to change a lightbulb)

There are plans to make all 5 levels meaningful! The level 5 idea is dorky but I like it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CKAN keeps listing NEAR in my 0.90 mod listing, but when I launch KSP it whines that NEAR is incompatible. What gives. :(

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I would imagine that they will somehow incorporate the new Engineer class into KAS-esque systems, or require their use for resource extraction, etc.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Maxmaps posted:

There are plans to make all 5 levels meaningful! The level 5 idea is dorky but I like it.

Level 5 pilots can induce slo-mo, which of course triggers a wailing guitar solo for the duration.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

CKAN keeps listing NEAR in my 0.90 mod listing, but when I launch KSP it whines that NEAR is incompatible. What gives. :(

The AVC compatibility check has been broken and useless since it was implemented. Ignore it,

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ToxicFrog posted:

The AVC compatibility check has been broken and useless since it was implemented. Ignore it,

There an easy way to tell if NEAR is actually working, then? The atmosphere feels as soupy as ever.

(edit) Put a pod on the starter booster, should have gotten to insane speeds almost right away but got stuck at 200m/s for a while. Definitely not working :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

There an easy way to tell if NEAR is actually working, then? The atmosphere feels as soupy as ever.

(edit) Put a pod on the starter booster, should have gotten to insane speeds almost right away but got stuck at 200m/s for a while. Definitely not working :(

I don't use NEAR, but with FAR at least if it's working a new toolbar button appears.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Giving a mission to rescue a kerbal in orbit before having the ability to actually TARGET him for intercept is just mean.

There really needs to be some gates on these missions. Two stars my rear end. I don't even know if it's possible to rendezvous without targeting. I know it's not possible for ME.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bhodi posted:

Giving a mission to rescue a kerbal in orbit before having the ability to actually TARGET him for intercept is just mean.

There really needs to be some gates on these missions. Two stars my rear end. I don't even know if it's possible to rendezvous without targeting. I know it's not possible for ME.

It's totally possible, it's just really goddamn hard.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Love the new XP system. I overestimated my piloting abilities and ended up about 100 DV short on a minmus land and return mission. Now I have to mount a Jeb rescue mission for that sweet, sweet XP, where previously I would have been all "I'll totally rescue Jeb! Later... not now" and then never done it. I respond to incentives.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The limitations are basically forcing me to send unmanned craft to different bodies outside of Kerbin's SOI right now since probes are so much lighter and require so fewer parts. I'm sure you can design a 140 ton craft of 30 parts or less that could make a return trip to Gilly, but I sure as hell can't, so instead I'm actually landing probes. I never really did that before.

This update is awesome.

e: in fact this is the first time I have ever landed anything at all, unmanned or otherwise, on the surface of Eve :getin:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 18, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bhodi posted:

Be true to yourself and never give up, and all that after-school TV special stuff.

e: it is possible, otherwise they wouldn't have offered the contract (unless it is a bug). It is a way for the devs to push you to grow, without making it an absolute requirement to continue.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 18, 2014

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Bhodi posted:

If you can get within about 100km, you can target the kerbal in staging view, but getting that close is tricky. It reminds me of trying to do rescue missions in 15.3.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What is the difference between NEAR and FAR?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Perception mostly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Both change the aerodynamics (in the same way to a point, they're by the same guy) so that fairings etc work, and you get surface effects from wings and poo poo strapped to the outside of your rocket. FAR goes further and changes aerodynamics accordingly above Mach 1, and disassembling your craft due to aerodynamic limitations/features (high angle of attack ripping wings off, high pressure breaking nosecones and leading-edge parts, etc). NEAR doesn't do any of that other stuff.

Personally I use NEAR.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Thesoro posted:

Level 5 engineers could flip 2.5m docking ports the right way...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just got a contract to test a launch clamp on the Mun. Wasn't this supposed to be fixed last version? :colbert:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Man, hard mode is pushing my piloting and design skills to new levels. With FAR installed, I've been getting to 100km orbits around Kerbin and deorbiting with just 3,000m/s dV. Sometimes with crazy single-stage testing rigs so I don't get docked for dumping liquid fuel engines and tanks everywhere, like this stupid poo poo to test a BACC SBR in orbit:

I gently splashed it down with 600m/s still in the tank, just off shore of KSC. I couldn't have pulled that off a week ago, simply out of :effort:.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Thesoro posted:

You know that red zone at the top of the navball throttle gauge? Level 5 Engineers should throttle to 110% safely. :black101:

A good engineer knows precisely how to maximize performance from every piece of equipment at his disposal. Not what it was rated to do, but what it can do.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FAR models the strange aerodynamic effects that occur around mach 1, and also simulates aerodynamic failures (I believe this can be turned off though) Far also includes a thing in the editor to display a bunch of magical engineering numbers, like coeffiecients of blah. NEAR Doesn't model these things, and I don't believe it gives you those numbers.

There's a perception that NEAR is easier and more forgiving than FAR, but I don't know if that's true, especially if you turn off aerodynamic failures. If you design something that looks identical to real supersonic aircraft, there's a very real chance it will work better in FAR than in NEAR because it's designed to take advantage of transonic shenanigans. I haven't ever tried NEAR though, as I don't think FAR's more realistic model makes the game too hard, IMO it makes designing planes much easier.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

fosborb posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unrelated, when Engineers get the repair parachutes power, is that the same as re-packing your chutes? How well does it work with re-staging them now?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Can't argue with that!

To the point, I'd suggest that people not be too intimidated by FAR. I think it gets over-hyped as a super-difficult mode full of impenetrable numbers. In my experience it doesn't really make things much harder - some things are actually easier - and while there are impenetrable numbers available if you're interested in trying to, uh, penetrate them, you can actually get by while almost completely ignoring them. There are two graphs (which are really the same graph) that it's handy to be able to use, and that's usually enough. Oh, and put your CoL behind and above your CoM.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Level 5 engineers ought to be able to wizard up some extra resources like RCS or electric charge, a limited amount of times per flight.

:jebstare: Uh, Bob, we're out of maneuvering power and about to re-enter sideways :supaburn:

:jeb: No problem man, I'll just wire my headlamp into the control board and tape my eva pack to the door

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Supraluminal posted:

Can't argue with that!

To the point, I'd suggest that people not be too intimidated by FAR. I think it gets over-hyped as a super-difficult mode full of impenetrable numbers. In my experience it doesn't really make things much harder - some things are actually easier - and while there are impenetrable numbers available if you're interested in trying to, uh, penetrate them, you can actually get by while almost completely ignoring them. There are two graphs (which are really the same graph) that it's handy to be able to use, and that's usually enough. Oh, and put your CoL behind and above your CoM.

Yeah agreed, though I don't even use the graphs: I just press "test", make sure the numbers are green, set it to a higher speed, press "test" again, and make sure only one or two numbers are red. If it fails this test, I make it look more like a plane.

The only thing FAR makes much trickier is launching, you don't do the sharp 10km turn anymore, and if you try it you will destroy your rocket. You start turning as soon as you launch, but very slowly. You basically need to stay within the prograde velocity marker or you'll flip out of control and come apart.However, getting to orbit requires heaps less fuel (as the atmosphere is more realistic, and thus much much thinner) to the point where there's a supplementary mod to make it the engines less efficient so that the game isn't too easy.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So, has anyone figured out how to do these experiments? (Kerbin Shores aside)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bootcha posted:

So, has anyone figured out how to do these experiments? (Kerbin Shores aside)

What's hard about them? Build a nice low-power rocket and hover over the appropriate buildings/terrain features.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

ToxicFrog posted:

What's hard about them? Build a nice low-power rocket and hover over the appropriate buildings/terrain features.

Hell, time it right, you don't even need to hover.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh, so they don't revert to "Kerbin's Shores" when you're a meter off the ground anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I think I love you.