Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Maybe I'm lost here but how does one go about getting a "fake" discount? Did you just randomly make up an employee name and ID number that sprint accepted without any type of verification?

Sprint sales reps for the longest time were able to just submit a discount without being asked for verification (you clicked a button saying "yes I verified," with the very wrong assumption that most sales reps will be completely honest). So if I had someone considering 4-5 lines, and if there was sticking point blocking the sale, I would probably offer a 25% discount to buy from me vs say, Best Buy. People handed out discounts like candy.

I worked with a sales rep who got busted because Wells Fargo called Sprint asking why more people in the state of Tennessee had a WF discount than they had employees in the state (something like that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone having issues with wifi calling today? It had been working perfectly fine before, both at work and at home. Today, in two locations where I usually use wifi calling with no issues, it will connect temporarily, then disconnect and say "network connection error, please try again." If I turn off wifi calling and reconnect, it'll work temporarily until it disconnects again. Anyone experience similar issues?

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

td4guy posted:

Flip an iPhone and put the cash towards the Nexus 6 off of the Play store.

I completely forgot about the Play store. Thanks. Is the SERO number in the OP would I would want to call to get it set up once I have it on a SERO account? That or a corporate store? I've never bought a phone that didn't come straight from sprint.

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 2, 2014

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
There was a sprint rep that posted his ID number on his blog a couple years ago, you could use it to get on the EPRP plan. I'm still on that plan (until my T-Mobile nexus 6 arrives anyway). There was even a goon in this very thread that did the same thing. I believe they got something for having as many people join under their name, it was encouraged by sprint at one time.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

FlyingCheese posted:

There was a sprint rep that posted his ID number on his blog a couple years ago, you could use it to get on the EPRP plan. I'm still on that plan (until my T-Mobile nexus 6 arrives anyway). There was even a goon in this very thread that did the same thing. I believe they got something for having as many people join under their name, it was encouraged by sprint at one time.

My wife has this plan and they call it SERO.

I have the old SERO plan from when it was first introduced, so it becomes a bit confusing.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

LorneReams posted:

My wife has this plan and they call it SERO.

I have the old SERO plan from when it was first introduced, so it becomes a bit confusing.

EPRP isn't quite the same thing, it came after SERO died and isn't as good of a deal.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

FlyingCheese posted:

EPRP isn't quite the same thing, it came after SERO died and isn't as good of a deal.

I know, but everyone that I talked to at Sprint calls it SERO and has no idea what I'm talking about when I say EPRP.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

LorneReams posted:

I know, but everyone that I talked to at Sprint calls it SERO and has no idea what I'm talking about when I say EPRP.
I'm on hold right now on the SERO number in the OP waiting for the guy to complete my upgrade order, and he called it SERO when he referenced my account, and I'm on EPRP.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm porting my number out from Sprint. Do I just return my Airave to a corporate store or do I have to ship it somewhere?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
This may be a better post for the Android thread or Android Apps thread, but I'm not exactly sure where the issue lies, so I figured I'd start here. I've got a Note 3 running stock (not rooted) 4.4.4. I can send emoji via the Samsung SMS app just fine, but when my girlfriend tries to send them to me from her Note 4, they just come in as question marks. I've tried receiving via Hangouts as well and get the same result.

From searching, it looks like emoji support was added with Kit Kat, which I'm running, but it seems like it's just not translating on screen. They show up fine when I add them via SwiftKey or even the stock Samsung Keyboard, but they just don't show up in received messages. Any idea where I should look?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Does Sprint's buyback program work if you're leaving Sprint? My wife owes something like 400 on her iPhone5s that she got conned into buying last spring. Would it be possible for her to sell the phone back to sprint for the 200 it's showing as worth online, then have the account close when she switches to Verizon (possibly getting a credit?) and only owe 200ish?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

brc64 posted:

This may be a better post for the Android thread or Android Apps thread, but I'm not exactly sure where the issue lies, so I figured I'd start here. I've got a Note 3 running stock (not rooted) 4.4.4. I can send emoji via the Samsung SMS app just fine, but when my girlfriend tries to send them to me from her Note 4, they just come in as question marks. I've tried receiving via Hangouts as well and get the same result.

From searching, it looks like emoji support was added with Kit Kat, which I'm running, but it seems like it's just not translating on screen. They show up fine when I add them via SwiftKey or even the stock Samsung Keyboard, but they just don't show up in received messages. Any idea where I should look?

Do you happen to use Sprint's Google Voice integration, by any chance? I had a similar situation and when I turned off the Sprint integration with it, my problem went away. I read somewhere that it sends your text through GV either way, which doesn't support emojis. Anyway, I don't know the specifics, but I know I got my poop emojis back.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I'm switching to T-Mobile as soon as my Nexus 6 arrives. I'm using the Google Voice Integration with Sprint currently, is there anything I need to know before porting my number over? I'd really like to keep GV and the sweet voicemail service.

Also, there's one line staying with Sprint on my EPRP plan, that is not the main line currently, their service/plan won't be interrupted at all, will it?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

iluvpr0n posted:

Do you happen to use Sprint's Google Voice integration, by any chance? I had a similar situation and when I turned off the Sprint integration with it, my problem went away. I read somewhere that it sends your text through GV either way, which doesn't support emojis. Anyway, I don't know the specifics, but I know I got my poop emojis back.

I tried the Google Voice integration with Sprint back when it came out, but the Google Voice app was so spotty for me back then that I eventually went back to normal. As far as I know, all my SMS messages come directly via Sprint now (and have for a long time). I read some stuff about Android switching emoji messages from SMS to MMS, but I guess that's not necessary now that emoji is natively supported. I'm just wondering if my Note 3 isn't handling native emoji sent from the Note 4 in SMS form. I've never cared about emoji before, so I've never bothered to really look into it.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Apparently, Network Vision is "substantially complete":

Sprint CFO Joe Euteneuer posted:

"I think from a network standpoint we have been waiting to get to this point of having a network that is substantially complete," Euteneuer said...Euteneuer acknowledged that Sprint's network has been a weak spot for the carrier, saying that the company had been experiencing subscriber losses "associated with the network."...But much of the pain associated with upgrading the network is behind Sprint, and Euteneuer was upbeat about where things are headed. He cited reducing expenses and churn as the key goals for Sprint going forward.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Sprint-Declares-Their-Network-Vision-Substantially-Complete-131775

And that's why I finally left - I purchased a Spark phone, hoping that going to a Nexus 5 from a iPhone 5 would help, but I still have coverage issues at home and on the road - and while LTE 800 is nice, they still just don't have the tower density to compete where I am. And Band 41 is speedy, but they haven't rolled it out in my area, as well as a few towers that haven't received any upgrades whatsoever.

Maybe in a year or two the network will improve - but till then, I'll just have to stick with AT&T for everything.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Hahaha no. Network Vision is only substantially complete from the point of view that over ~90% of the deployed equipment has been replaced. They're still waiting on tons of fiber rollouts to turn on LTE. And the remaining ~10% of untouched sites lie largely in places that are notorious for government permitting issues: HI, CA, FL, NJ, NY, DC.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm porting my number out from Sprint. Do I just return my Airave to a corporate store or do I have to ship it somewhere?

Two years ago they gave me a shipping label and I shipped it back to Sprint.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
I've been covering for my family for too long. Spending $250~ after discounts per month on a 5-phone plan.

3 of those phones are my relatives who I don't live with.

I want to split off the family plan to a new one for me and my wife.

What's the easiest way to do that? Just go into the store? Phone? Email? I know comparatively my rate will go up, but I can't pay for all 5 people every month. It's just dumb. (Car insurance is next)

And what plan should I go for? Unlimited data is a must. We already have our Sprint phones. No plans to upgrade anytime soon.

And I think Framily won't be an option. I don't want to be tied to them in any way. They can't pay their bills, which is why I was doing it. So I don't want to be held liable if they gently caress up.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The current plans are either the $60 unlimited ($50 for iPhone) individual plan or the Family Share Pack with metered data. Depending on how much you use, and you can check that on the website for the last 12 months, you might save a bit of money with an appropriate amount of data on the family plan.

If the billing is already in your name you should be able to just call in or chat on the website and have them adjust your plan. They can also cancel your moochy relatives' lines. No need to go into a store.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Two years ago they gave me a shipping label and I shipped it back to Sprint.

Sprint Chat told me I could return it to a store. I've just been too lazy to do it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sprint Chat told me I could return it to a store.

That sounds like a good way to end up being billed the full price and sent to collections, relying on some disinterested salesperson's accounting of your auxiliary device return. I'd call and ask for a prepaid shipping box or label.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.

SamDabbers posted:

The current plans are either the $60 unlimited ($50 for iPhone) individual plan or the Family Share Pack with metered data. Depending on how much you use, and you can check that on the website for the last 12 months, you might save a bit of money with an appropriate amount of data on the family plan.

If the billing is already in your name you should be able to just call in or chat on the website and have them adjust your plan. They can also cancel your moochy relatives' lines. No need to go into a store.

It's not in my name, but I am the master account and have access to all that information and have been paying the bill.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
This may be of interest to any of you on legacy plans like my EPRP Everything Plus 1600 plan.

I upgraded to an iPhone 6 today, and was given the option of leasing it for only $5 a month instead of buying it for $200, without requiring any kind of plan change. Its $20 minus a $15 credit I was offered for having a legacy plan. Total cost was $148.80 (w/ tax) over 2 years vs $212 to buy it with a 2 year upgrade contract. You then trade in after 24 months, or buy it out for $200 over another 10 monthly payments.

I didn't end up leasing because of the forfeiture of the phone and any residual value after 2 years. But if you want to avoid the headache of selling or trading (and betting on iPhones having a lot of residual value) after the 2 year upgrade cycle, its an interesting proposition. Also, its an honest to god lease underwritten by a bank with a financial contract and a credit check, unlike EasyPay and the other 0% installment plans the other carriers are doing. I wouldn't be surprised if the lease shows up as a line on your credit report.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, but what happens if you break or lose the phone? Best case for the consumer, they have to re-up and get a crappy $0 phone on their newly signed contract, PLUS have to continue to pay for the lost/broken phone? I guess you could have insurance on the phone, but they don't cover everything.

I mean I guess you're paying for the phone one way or another, but I know the $5/month would appeal to a lot of people.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

My family and I are paying for too much plan on our Everything Data 1500 plan right now, but I can't pierce the complicated veil of these different ways of paying for phones now without going all :psyduck:.

Why can't they just have European-style Bring Your Own Device plans where it works out cheaper and simpler to pay up front for a phone using saved up money, a concept I realize is lost on a lot of Americans? If it weren't for network roaming limitations, I'd look more into moving my whole family to an MVNO plan.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 12, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

My family and I are paying for too much plan on our Everything Data 1500 plan right now, but I can't piece the complicated veil of these different ways of paying for phones now without going all :psyduck:.

Why can't they just have European-style Bring Your Own Device plans where it works out cheaper and simpler to pay up front for a phone using saved up money, a concept I realize is lost on a lot of Americans? If it weren't for network roaming limitations, I'd look more into moving my whole family to an MVNO plan.

You answered your own question. That sort of plan just doesn't work in the U.S. at least not right now. We are use to two year contracts and carriers are just now starting to move over to other different types of ways to pay for your phone. There is a lot of experimentation going on from all of the major carriers, seeing what does and doesn't work. Sprint has gone through I think a half dozen different plans that they introduced and then killed off in just the last year alone.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

SpelledBackwards posted:

My family and I are paying for too much plan on our Everything Data 1500 plan right now, but I can't pierce the complicated veil of these different ways of paying for phones now without going all :psyduck:.

All of the carriers now have those European style plans.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Biodome posted:

All of the carriers now have those European style plans.

Whether or not people know about them or actually want to use them is a different story.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Did Sprint get rid of two year upgrades or something? I can't find on my account when I am eligible for a two year contract phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Did Sprint get rid of two year upgrades or something? I can't find on my account when I am eligible for a two year contract phone.

On the main page when you login, I think each line has a link that says 'contract details' or something similar, and should tell you that information. If you're eligible, it usually has a green exclamation icon on top of the phone image on each eligible line too.

edit: or you can just go to https://www.sprint.com/upgrade and click check eligibility.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

My wife and I have a Everything Plus Family 1600 plan, that costs us $140 a month or so, and it may be upgrade time. Is there a better plan out now that we should be shooting for? I also have a SERO plan on the same account that I gave to my Mom.

Unlimited data is the most important thing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Last week I got a letter in the mail from the new Sprint CEO (well, the offices of, I assume) thanking me for my loyalty and letting me know that as a reward, my 4 line share plan had been upgraded to unlimited talk (was 1500 minutes before) and that I'm eligible for a $15/mo "loyalty credit" toward the purchase of a new iPhone of Galaxy S5 (bringing the lease price to $5/mo). If anything, I'd want a Note 4, but I can't tell if that reward extends to other phones. The website makes it look like I can only use it for one of like 4 devices.

Has anybody else gotten this before?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

brc64 posted:

Last week I got a letter in the mail from the new Sprint CEO (well, the offices of, I assume) thanking me for my loyalty and letting me know that as a reward, my 4 line share plan had been upgraded to unlimited talk (was 1500 minutes before) and that I'm eligible for a $15/mo "loyalty credit" toward the purchase of a new iPhone of Galaxy S5 (bringing the lease price to $5/mo). If anything, I'd want a Note 4, but I can't tell if that reward extends to other phones. The website makes it look like I can only use it for one of like 4 devices.

No, but I hope I do, I want in on this.

[edit]
Just tried to get a Galaxy S5 and it still shows at $20 a month in my cart.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 15, 2014

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

brc64 posted:

I just assumed everyone got this, both my parents and I got a similar letter. Galaxy S5, which Samsung can't even give away? Pass.

Now, if I could keep my Everything Data 450 plan and pay $5/month over two years for a Note 4 or a Nexus 6... now you're on to something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bugged Sprint Customer Support and they gave me the $15 loyalty credit for the Samsung S5. Upgrading from a 2013 Moto X.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

goku chewbacca posted:

This may be of interest to any of you on legacy plans like my EPRP Everything Plus 1600 plan.

I upgraded to an iPhone 6 today, and was given the option of leasing it for only $5 a month instead of buying it for $200, without requiring any kind of plan change. Its $20 minus a $15 credit I was offered for having a legacy plan. Total cost was $148.80 (w/ tax) over 2 years vs $212 to buy it with a 2 year upgrade contract. You then trade in after 24 months, or buy it out for $200 over another 10 monthly payments.

I didn't end up leasing because of the forfeiture of the phone and any residual value after 2 years. But if you want to avoid the headache of selling or trading (and betting on iPhones having a lot of residual value) after the 2 year upgrade cycle, its an interesting proposition. Also, its an honest to god lease underwritten by a bank with a financial contract and a credit check, unlike EasyPay and the other 0% installment plans the other carriers are doing. I wouldn't be surprised if the lease shows up as a line on your credit report.

You can do this at best buy for $1/month.

I grabbed two iphone 6's, one for my daughter and one for the girlfriend. $48 for 2 iphones for 2 years.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I've gotten a few emails (and snail mail, including an Xmas card) from the (office of) Sprint's CEO in the past two weeks. What's funny is I switched to T-Mobile two weeks ago, but everything from Sprint still refers to me as an existing customer. I get that all their databases haven't been updated yet and some of these mailing lists were probably put together weeks ago, but the timing amuses me.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nokia-Lumia-635-is-Sprints-first-Windows-Phone-8.1-handset--Boost-and-Virgin-Mobile-will-also-sell-it_id63873

Good news! Sprint is finally releasing a modern tri-band LTE Windows Phone. :)

Bad news: It's a low-end budget phone and you probably shouldn't buy it. :(

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I feel like I'm slumming in this thread as a former Sprint user currently on T-mobile. I want to rescue you all from the incompetent clutches of sprint and set you free in the land of milk and honey that is the t-mobile dork plan. Its even better than the original sero plan since t-mobile has better coverage (at least for me) than sprint ever did or ever will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any good 3rd party alternatives to the $11 a month insurance for the Note 4 out there? I was tempted to get it, but the salesperson I'm on hold with (25 minutes now) for Telesales has been beyond pushy on it so I'm not going to get it.