Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I'm guessing stuff like this is how Microsoft plans to make it's money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
A Lego movie? That's STUPID!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

IronicDongz posted:

No, it's actually because it's a really really dumb idea.

A normal response would be: I have no interest in this video game.
Dumb nerd response: THIS IS SO BAD WHY ARE THEY EVEN MAKING THIS?!

For instance, I have no interest in it. And I almost agree that it is kind of dumb, but I am not angry about it. Why would I waste time and energy complaining about something like that? Like I said, it has no effect on anything, unless you REALLY like Telltale games and hate that they are making this instead of something else.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you had told me this was Microsoft's plan back when they first bought Minecraft, I wouldn't have been able to pick it out of the joke predictions at ALL. This is so great - exactly the sort of madness and uncomprehending flailing I hoped we would get to see from Microsoft.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Dumb nerds getting really fought up over this announcement is the best part about the whole thing

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mzbundifund posted:

If you had told me this was Microsoft's plan back when they first bought Minecraft, I wouldn't have been able to pick it out of the joke predictions at ALL. This is so great - exactly the sort of madness and uncomprehending flailing I hoped we would get to see from Microsoft.
This is going to make such ridiculous amounts of money they'd be stupid not to take every opportunity to do things like this. Especially if they're asking community members for help, makes me think they might pull inspiration from the likes of the old Yogscast Shadow of Israphel stuff(nothing related to Yogventures) or, in a perfect world, Captain Sparkles's Fallen Kingdom/Take Back The Night-style world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-sH53vXP2A&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwwl9jiJ1A4&hd=1

I really like the way he gives the Testificates so much more character without really changing them much at all. Very slight depth increase to the models but it makes them much more expressive. That's the type of thing I'd hope they'd do with the Minecraft movie, but isn't that supposedly live-action? Seems like a poor choice to me, but eh.

Tobaccrow posted:

Exactly. It's all in the execution. Regardless of its quality, it's going to sell millions of copies.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

loving perfect

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Harminoff posted:

Hey look a new minecraft story has been announced!

https://mojang.com/2014/12/play-info-quest-ii-you-might-learn-something/

What the?

This is entirely stupid and bad, though. How can you even do this unless all you're doing is making up some random story centered around the handful of minecraft monsters, world stuff, items and make it look like cubes and poo poo? There's absolutely no point in making a game like this unless it's to exploit little kids and other kinds of people who don't think about Minecraft on a deeper level than "is this awesome thing I like" because there's nothing to Minecraft that suggests a story-based game could work. Minecraft can be summed up as "You exist, there's monsters, everything is blocky and/or cubes, and you make stuff."

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

Dumb nerds getting really fought up over this announcement is the best part about the whole thing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I started reading the thread just now and read backwards, saw this, got excited, then read back further and got sad that this wasn't the new thing.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Ahaha, so if you actually go through all the stupid dialog in this annoucment, during their Minecraft 2 joke section at the end they make a jab about the whole "Oh yeah, we bought Bukkit years ago" fiasco. :v:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Cheez posted:

This is entirely stupid and bad, though. How can you even do this unless all you're doing is making up some random story centered around the handful of minecraft monsters, world stuff, items and make it look like cubes and poo poo? There's absolutely no point in making a game like this unless it's to exploit little kids and other kinds of people who don't think about Minecraft on a deeper level than "is this awesome thing I like" because there's nothing to Minecraft that suggests a story-based game could work. Minecraft can be summed up as "You exist, there's monsters, everything is blocky and/or cubes, and you make stuff."

Tobaccrow posted:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Cheez posted:

I dunno maybe the company who makes adventure games for a living is more capable of coming up with ideas than you are. I might be crazy though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not sure you can 'exploit' kids by making dumb tie in crap to their favorite stuff. Kids tend to like dumb tie in crap. I wish I still had my giant millennium falcon.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The sanctity of the Minecraft vision has been fouled

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

The Lego Movie was a stupid idea, and so is Lego's obsession with making every other existing franchise into a Lego franchise. Even dumber? The Lego Movie Lego sets.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure you can 'exploit' kids by making dumb tie in crap to their favorite stuff. Kids tend to like dumb tie in crap. I wish I still had my giant millennium falcon.

I have PTSD style attacks whenever I think about my Ninja Turtle story books or my GI Joe pajamas.

Cheez posted:

The Lego Movie was a stupid idea, and so is Lego's obsession with making every other existing franchise into a Lego franchise. Even dumber? The Lego Movie Lego sets.

Oh you're doing a thing, nvm, I guess.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Cheez posted:

Like that stopped anyone churning them out. :v:

Some dumb idiot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 18, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cheez posted:

The Lego Movie was good

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cheez posted:

This would be a decent trollbait post if it weren't for this one:

Cheez posted:

:negative:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Well ok then, keep being excited for "Minecraft, but without the part that makes it Minecraft".

I guess you are literally children, and there's nothing I can do to change your mind, because you love tie-in crap.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cheez posted:

Well ok then, keep being excited for "Minecraft, but without the part that makes it Minecraft".

I guess you are literally children, and there's nothing I can do to change your mind, because you love tie-in crap.

:ironicat:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

*hitches up big boy pants and struts into Games*
I'm gonna get really pissed off about a new minecraft game and have strong opinions about the lego franchise sucking and furthermore you people are children

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cheez posted:

Look at this gimmick poster.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think it's a really dumb idea and there's a million better options but I also think TellTale is pretty loving amazing and I have enough faith in them to believe they have the ability to make a great game from a dumb premise.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Eye of Widesauron posted:

*hitches up big boy pants and struts into Games*
I'm gonna get really pissed off about a new minecraft game and have strong opinions about the lego franchise sucking and furthermore you people are children

It has gently caress all to do with any of that. It's a stupid, pointless gesture that only exists to make money, because you could remove all the lego bits from the Lego movie and it would not make a difference. On the same token, you could remove all the minecraft bits from the upcoming Minecraft game and it wouldn't make a difference, because there's nothing there. It all has to be made up from nothing. That's what pisses me off. Telltale's previous games all have the backing of an existing lore, an existing set of ideas and characters and all that poo poo, and they can work with that. Great. But for Minecraft, nothing exists. It's doing it for the sake of being Minecraft. It has all the depth of an internet meme.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Cheez posted:

It has gently caress all to do with any of that. It's a stupid, pointless gesture that only exists to make money, because you could remove all the lego bits from the Lego movie and it would not make a difference. On the same token, you could remove all the minecraft bits from the upcoming Minecraft game and it wouldn't make a difference, because there's nothing there. It all has to be made up from nothing. That's what pisses me off. Telltale's previous games all have the backing of an existing lore, an existing set of ideas and characters and all that poo poo, and they can work with that. Great. But for Minecraft, nothing exists. It's doing it for the sake of being Minecraft. It has all the depth of an internet meme.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Any premise is/can be dumb. Ideas and premises are cheap, execution is EVERYTHING. If you like telltale games and Minecraft, I bet you'll like whatever this is. If you don't like one or the other, you won't. That's about it, really.

Cheez posted:

I... don't think you really get how fiction works. Or the video game industry for that matter. Or at least I would think that if you weren't running a gimmick right now.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 18, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Speaking of Minecraft related things people are getting irrationally angry about.

Mojang is now working in compliance with COPPA, as it is now owned by a US Company. What this means is that for US players under the age of 13 have had their Mojang accounts restricted (Meaning that they cannot chat in Scrolls, make further purchases, change any settings for their account or play on a MC Realms server.. they don't care about privately run servers as its on those server's owners to comply with COPPA, not Mojang) and require a 10 Cent Credit Card fee to prove parental consent (or for the parents to print out a form, scan and email it to Mojang). Now, this is something everyone in the US has to abide by and the 10 cent fee route is what most companies do. It also doesn't even cover the transaction fee and so Mojang is actually losing money on this.

"I tried to play Minecraft today with my little girl who lives in another state with my mother, we only have a limited time to play together every Wednesday. We call it Skype-craft.
Unfortunately, Mojang/Microsoft now charges a parental consent fee of 10 cent per player under the age of 13. My mother isn’t too computer savvy and we never got to play because she spent our 'slotted time' figuring this out. Ah well, we still got to talk, she really loves to play though. :/
Im curious if someone could do the math on this? How many player accounts are under the age of 13/ how much money will they make getting 10 cent from each of those accounts?"

" Im just not on board 100% with things changing just because the name changed hands. "

"I was actually considering buying a realm so that my siblings and I could play together. Not anymore."

"Haha wow, what a crock of poo poo."

"I actually think that the restriction on MineCraft Realms for children under the age of 13 is straight-up dumb and unnecessary. Realms are easy to set-up MineCraft servers which kids would like to play on, On public servers, Kids get grieffed and that upsets them, To restrict children under the age of 13 playing them is complete bullshit."

"And so the nickle and dime-ing begins."

:allears:

https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1780997-mojang-account-users-under-13

Enzer fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 18, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cheez posted:

It's a stupid, pointless gesture

Much like your posting.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Enzer posted:

Speaking of Minecraft related things people are getting irrationally angry about.

Mojang is now working in compliance with COPPA, as it is now owned by a US Company. What this means is that for US players under the age of 13 have had their Mojang accounts restricted (Meaning that they cannot chat in Scrolls, make further purchases, change any settings for their account or play on a MC Realms server.. they don't care about privately run servers as its on those server's owners to comply with COPPA, not Mojang) and require a 10 Cent Credit Card fee to prove parental consent (or for the parents to print out a form, scan and email it to Mojang). Now, this is something everyone in the US has to abide by and the 10 cent fee route is what most companies do. It also doesn't even cover the transaction fee and so Mojang is actually losing money on this.

"I tried to play Minecraft today with my little girl who lives in another state with my mother, we only have a limited time to play together every Wednesday. We call it Skype-craft.
Unfortunately, Mojang/Microsoft now charges a parental consent fee of 10 cent per player under the age of 13. My mother isn’t too computer savvy and we never got to play because she spent our 'slotted time' figuring this out. Ah well, we still got to talk, she really loves to play though. :/
Im curious if someone could do the math on this? How many player accounts are under the age of 13/ how much money will they make getting 10 cent from each of those accounts?"

" Im just not on board 100% with things changing just because the name changed hands. "

"I was actually considering buying a realm so that my siblings and I could play together. Not anymore."

"I actually think that the restriction on MineCraft Realms for children under the age of 13 is straight-up dumb and unnecessary. Realms are easy to set-up MineCraft servers which kids would like to play on, On public servers, Kids get grieffed and that upsets them, To restrict children under the age of 13 playing them is complete bullshit."

https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/1780997-mojang-account-users-under-13

Sorry if I come across as a complete idiot, but does this COPPA thing only affect specific games? I've never heard of this before. Like I don't recall you needing to pay a parental consent fee for things like the WoW free trial and stuff. I can understand being annoyed by this as I haven't heard about it before (although even still, I can't imagine it's a complicated process to deal with)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cheez posted:

Yeah gently caress making poo poo up from nowhere, that is totally unfaithful to the VISION of minecraft, a game made up from nowhere about making your own poo poo up when you play it. gently caress creativity.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Enzer posted:

I have never heard of this law until just now.

"Any U.S. company who operates a commercial website or an online service that collects, uses, or discloses personal information from U.S. children under age 13 and who is directed to children under 13 or has actual knowledge that a user is under 13 must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act."

How does MC in anyway do this? Just enter a fake age or something. MC doesn't check ID. This is dumb and I am pretty sure no one will actually have to paay this. I don't remember my Mojang account asking me my age.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 18, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

"Any U.S. company who operates a commercial website or an online service that collects, uses, or discloses personal information from U.S. children under age 13 and who is directed to children under 13 or has actual knowledge that a user is under 13 must comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act."

How does MC in anyway do this? Just enter a fake age or something. MC doesn't check ID. This is dumb and I am pretty sure no one will actually have to paay this. I don't remember my Mojang account asking me my age.

It has been a thing for ages and yeah, most websites get by it by asking you your age and not giving a poo poo if you lie, they're considered to have done their due diligence by asking.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Sorry if I come across as a complete idiot, but does this COPPA thing only affect specific games? I've never heard of this before. Like I don't recall you needing to pay a parental consent fee for things like the WoW free trial and stuff. I can understand being annoyed by this as I haven't heard about it before (although even still, I can't imagine it's a complicated process to deal with)

It only effects games owned by US companies.

COPPA is kind of a weird law that a lot of companies are not very happy with:

COPPA posted:

1. What is the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule?

Congress enacted the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) in 1998. COPPA required the Federal Trade Commission to issue and enforce regulations concerning children’s online privacy. The Commission’s original COPPA Rule became effective on April 21, 2000. The Commission issued an amended Rule on December 19, 2012. The amended Rule will become effective on July 1, 2013.

The primary goal of COPPA is to place parents in control over what information is collected from their young children online. The Rule was designed to protect children under age 13 while accounting for the dynamic nature of the Internet. The Rule applies to operators of commercial websites and online services (including mobile apps) directed to children under 13 that collect, use, or disclose personal information from children, and operators of general audience websites or online services with actual knowledge that they are collecting, using, or disclosing personal information from children under 13. The Rule also applies to websites or online services that have actual knowledge that they are collecting personal information directly from users of another website or online service directed to children. Operators covered by the Rule must:

Post a clear and comprehensive online privacy policy describing their information practices for personal information collected online from children;
Provide direct notice to parents and obtain verifiable parental consent, with limited exceptions, before collecting personal information online from children;
Give parents the choice of consenting to the operator’s collection and internal use of a child’s information, but prohibiting the operator from disclosing that information to third parties (unless disclosure is integral to the site or service, in which case, this must be made clear to parents);
Provide parents access to their child's personal information to review and/or have the information deleted;
Give parents the opportunity to prevent further use or online collection of a child's personal information;
Maintain the confidentiality, security, and integrity of information they collect from children, including by taking reasonable steps to release such information only to parties capable of maintaining its confidentiality and security; and
Retain personal information collected online from a child for only as long as is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected and delete the information using reasonable measures to protect against its unauthorized access or use.

2. Who is covered by COPPA?

The Rule applies to operators of commercial websites and online services (including mobile apps) directed to children under 13 that collect, use, or disclose personal information from children. It also applies to operators of general audience websites or online services with actual knowledge that they are collecting, using, or disclosing personal information from children under 13. The Rule also applies to websites or online services that have actual knowledge that they are collecting personal information directly from users of another website or online service directed to children.

3. What is Personal Information?

The amended Rule defines personal information to include:

First and last name;
A home or other physical address including street name and name of a city or town;
Online contact information;
A screen or user name that functions as online contact information;
A telephone number;
A social security number;
A persistent identifier that can be used to recognize a user over time and across different websites or online services;
A photograph, video, or audio file, where such file contains a child’s image or voice;
Geolocation information sufficient to identify street name and name of a city or town; or
Information concerning the child or the parents of that child that the operator collects online from the child and combines with an identifier described above.

The amended rule that includes screen or user names now being considered personal information (under the old ruling, user names would only be considered personal information if the username granted access to the child's email contact).

General google searching shows that a lot of App developers have been upset about the changing of this law and that MS seems to be rushing to make sure everything they own is in compliance so that they don't get fined heavily.

It might be a thing where people are still catching up to the changes. I tried checking against Blizzard and all I'm seeing is a post from 2008 stating that they are in compliance with COPPA, but that was under the old rules.

If you go to Microsoft's support page for XBOX Live they state the same information as well: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/xbox-live-membership/charged-create-child-account
That said, MS charges 50 cents in order to not lose money on the transaction fee.

My guess is that this is typically tacked onto the first month's payment on most MMOs and is why they generally require you to provide a credit card when you first make an account even if you plan to pay via Time Card.

Also, don't most MMOs require you to confirm that you are over a certain age to make an account anyway? The company only has to comply with accounts they know are under the age of 13, so if they say you have to be 18 or over in order to make an account and the child lies about their age, then the company isn't responsible.

ToastyPotato posted:

The FTC has been more proactive with this law only within the last year or so, so its starting to creep up a lot more.

That said, while you don't need to verify you age when you make a MC account, because Mojang considers the game to be single player with access to third party servers (which Mojang isn't responsible for), however when you sign up for Realms, you do have to verify you age, since those are servers that Mojang runs and by the law has to be responsible for.

And you are right, Mojang does not have to verify the age of the user, if you lie about your age, then that is you who gets in trouble. But if someone does enter an age under 13, they do get hit by this if they get restrictions on their account (cannot chat in Scrolls, cannot make further purchases, cannot change any settings for their account or play on a MC Realms server) until they verify and yes people are already paying the fee which is what is getting people pissy.

Parents can avoid the 10 cent fee by printing out the form provided by the FTC, filling it out, and scanning the form and emailing it to Mojang.

Just silly to see people getting upset at Mojang for having to now comply with some of the more crazy US laws.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 18, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah gently caress making poo poo up from nowhere, that is totally unfaithful to the VISION of minecraft, a game made up from nowhere about making your own poo poo up when you play it. gently caress creativity.

Good job missing the point. Reading is for idiots!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Minecraft Among Us is going to be really dumb but I can't wait to watch a playthrough of it anyway to see what neat things Telltale manages to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I was part of a writing group for a while, and we would occasionally pass out a random insane writing prompt, and have to try to make a good story out of a genuinely terrible plot premise. It never failed to amaze me how some of the better members of the group (not me) could take a really bonkers prompt and actually make something good out of it.

Anyway, Telltale is good at what they do, and I hope they pull this off somehow.