Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

maybe nws https://i.imgur.com/JxKx2I3.jpg
i don't think this is an effective ad

this ad actually owns but not in the way they meant it to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

i like this ad

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
the part i like is that that ad does not in fact link to chain.com but goes to a bit.ly link that goes to some blockchain.info.something.tld
i guess requiring people to have the real url on an ad is just too high a requirement for google

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Wulfolme posted:

did you know that the romans said a 'w' sound for v's and a 'y' sound for j's?

wini widi wici

Yupiter

Yason and them argonauts

old languages sound even sillier than they look most of the time

well known roman mythological figure jason lmao

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

newreply.php posted:

well known roman mythological figure jason lmao

how did the greeks pronounce "j"?

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

prefect posted:

not like an i thats for sure. closer to a y if you want to compare it to english but for diftongs and such its more like modern germanic languages

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

prefect posted:

they didn't have it but iota and upsilon are basically interchangeable with the roman i/j/y

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
gamma is also close to j or ʝ in many cases

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

newreply.php posted:

for diftongs

more like stiff dongs

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
that is implied when talking about ancient greece

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
greece up your buttholes :xd:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

newreply.php posted:

that is implied when talking about ancient greece

:haw:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

you can't just start inventing letters like that

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
how are you supposed to pronounce

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sniep posted:

"love"

it's literally called "the love symbol"

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I really want him to go to my door and give me some reading materials about Jesus Christ.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sniep posted:

"the artist formerly known as prince"

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Just a "minor" Mycelium announcement ;) [iOS app]
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2pnzzu/just_a_minor_mycelium_announcement/

quote:

cap2002 22 очка 6 hours ago
Will you be implementing Local Trader in the iOS version in the near future?

Rassah [S] 17 очков 6 hours ago
Maybe? This is done by a team that is not part of our core devs. We literally just found out about it from our boss, and are scrambling to learn everything we can about it ourselves.
yeah here's an announcement of our new app, which we know nothing about

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
wow i didn't know furry dog dick table guy was involved

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Wheany posted:

oh im sorry mister central letter committee member ⸮

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

newreply.php posted:

greece up your buttholes :xd:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
there is a conference going on right now

Payments Policy in the 21st Century: The Promise of Innovation and the Challenge of Regulation

Ben Lawsky is the keynote speaker. Check out the livestream:

http://bipartisanpolicy.org/events/payment-policy-in-the-21st-century-the-promise-of-innovation-and-the-challenge-of-regulation/

edit:

Oh poo poo one of the regulators called the blockchain "elegant"

Some of the other guys are saying virtual currencies would need to support stuff like chargebacks and reversing fraudulent transactions in order to be accepted by consumers.

Dren fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 18, 2014

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

haveblue posted:

"the artist formerly known as prince"

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

BITCOIN PANIC SELLING TODAY

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-panic-selling-today/

Damage was done to the charts today. These pages have been speculating/forecasting a $316 low for the past two weeks. $316 was broken today, hitting $305 as of this writing. We continue to believe that 12/22 is the most likely date of the low. 12/22 is still four days away. A lot can happen in four days, particularly if people are panicking.

needs more bespoke log charts and rainbows drawn on the chart.

here's one from 2013 arguing falling from $1200 to $600 on gox overnight wasn't a big deal, because we'd be at least at $1,500 today.

and /r/bitcoinmarkets daily thread is always a fun place to read people's thoughts.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

decentralized alphabet

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Wheel of Coin turns, and Bubbles come and pass, leaving memories that become FUD.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Adix posted:

decentralized alphabet

i'll start the...

http://coinwik.org/AlphaCoin

sinekumquat fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 18, 2014

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
:siren: Ben Lawsky is making a train analogy :siren:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

The Vitruvian Currency

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
i think my favorite bitcoiner delusion is that all these magic lines and triangles they draw on their log charts mean anything at all

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i think my favorite bitcoiner delusion is bitcoins

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i think my favorite bitcoiner delusion is that all these magic lines and triangles they draw on their log charts mean anything at all

there's lies, drat lies and satoshis

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

they keep saying 2014 was a great year for building the infrastructure behind bitcoin, but it all seems to be stuff around using the blockchain less (because it's getting expensive and would be saturated if bitcoin saw any real adoption) or cashing out in new and creative ways.

like, a big thing they say is that big stores/brands are accepting bitcoin payments. through coinbase or bitpay. who cash it out to fiat, and will do everything in their power to keep that transaction off the blockchain.

or there are sidechains, which seem to be a complicated scheme to discourage altcoins and get transactions to happen off blockchain. or colored coins, which looks like the equivalent of "if i mail myself a copy of my idea and keep the postmarked envelope sealed, i can sue anyone who copies my idea without having to deal with a pesky lawyer!"

it's as hard to buy bitcoin as ever. you either go with localbitcoin and get mugged or in trouble for helping somebody else launder money, or you go with a more legitimate place. coinbase or an exchange, you give them a ton of personal information and still need to wait 2-3 days for a bank transfer. a bitcoin atm is faster, assuming it works, although they seem to require just as much information, and you need to wait around a coffee shop an hour or two while they verify your info.

my personal bitpay business model theory is this:

quote:

bitpay: we offer a way to convert bitcoins to fiat for merchants. if you don't invest in us, you might miss the boat.
vc 1: okay, here is some money.
bitpay: thanks, man! [pockets money, putting a small percentage away in a business account on the off chance someone uses bitcoin]

merchant: hi everyone, because we've been getting spam for months about this bitcoin crap, we're taking it. looking forward to your business!
[bitcoiners buy a bunch of stuff one day]
merchant: bitpay, here is a bunch of bitcoins from customers. get rid of this gross poop and give us real money.
bitpay: okay, here is some cash from the venture capitalists. [puts bitcoin away, writes check]
[bitcoiners never shop there again, or if they do, they use fiat rather than lose their precious butts]

bitpay: [at a hot disruptive vc event] so as you can see, we connect major brands to the new decentralized economy. plus, vc 1 invested in us.
new vcs: poo poo, we are missing the boat. better invest now.
bitpay: ty for ur investment. [hands vc 1 some of the new investors' cash to pay off dividends, puts most in pocket, some in business account]

[doomsday scenerio]
bitpay: oh no, someone used buttcoin and a merchant wants more fiat than we have on hand.
[dumps bitcoins on the market all at once, getting some cash while causing a crash and killing bitcoin usage for a few months]
bitpay: heheh, two birds, one stone.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

all the '2014 was about infrastructure i look forward to 2015' talk is exactly the same as they were saying last year too

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Realistically the end game of bitpay is they are going to be a minor paypal clone that co-opts a bunch of bitcoin language and grows more and more distant from any use of bitcoin in any step of their operation.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/digger/wp/2014/12/17/the-districts-first-bitcoin-atm-arrives-at-the-diner/

woah, 10 transactions a month as the only game in town in a metropolitan area! once they get wind of this on embassy row, watch out western union.

quote:

Most customers eye the large gray machine with curiosity. Others, mistaking it for a regular ATM, jam their credit cards in it.

And then there are those like the man sitting at the bar on a recent morning: Completely oblivious.

“I didn’t know there was one,” he said of the bitcoin ATM that was yards away. He took a bite of eggs, toast and potatoes and added, “I don’t have a lot of faith in the currency yet.”

The District’s first bitcoin ATM arrived quietly at the Diner, a 24-hour eatery in Adams Morgan, the week of Thanksgiving. Since then, about 10 transactions have taken place at the machine, which allows customers to buy or sell the virtual currency.

The bitcoin ATM, one of only a handful in the country, is a last-ditch effort by John McKee to revive sales at his one-man ATM business in Fairfax. Revenue has been flagging in recent years as customers increasingly use credit cards, mobile apps and yes, bitcoin, to pay for purchases. Rising regulatory costs and increased competition have also taken their toll.

“The ATM is at the end of its cycle,” said McKee, 45. “You can see it going the way of the pay phone pretty soon.”

But he thinks there might be an opportunity for bitcoin machines that allow users to trade cash for the virtual currency. Purchasing bitcoin online requires users to use their bank accounts for purchases, which means transactions can easily take three to five days, sometimes longer if using two-step identification.

it makes me happy to know those lovely unbranded atms that charge you $5 to get cash are doing badly, and that it's bad enough their owners want to touch the poop over it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
has boom august started yet?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

boom august did happen, but it boomed the wrong way and the blockchain kind of disrupted its pants.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

mystical economic thinking is amazing

"Well last year August was booming ERGO HITHERTO QED VIS A VI"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Mido posted:

ERGO HITHERTO QED VIS A VI

• Locked thread