Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

President Ark posted:

Melee strategies based on shooting the dudes in the knees -> suplexing them -> knifing them when they're on the ground are pretty drat effective, though.

Also hilarious when you manage to suplex a guy so hard his head explodes.

Also because Leon arbitrarily doesn't remember that he can suplex people until the castle, before that all he does is kick people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
There really is no feeling better than kicking a cultist into his friend so hard he explodes.

Another thing that was great about RE4 was the sound design. Not just the guns, but the enemies themselves. The bug enemies click and clack appropriately, and the chanting of the cultists totally helps set the mood.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
As an Argentinian, RE4 was loving hilarious. As cultists from not-Spain, a lot of the time they're chanting "cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo" which, in Spain Spanish, means "grab him/get him".
In Argentinian slang, however, they're chanting "gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him". :awesome:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edmond Dantes posted:

As an Argentinian, RE4 was loving hilarious. As cultists from not-Spain, a lot of the time they're chanting "cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo cogedlo" which, in Spain Spanish, means "grab him/get him".
In Argentinian slang, however, they're chanting "gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him". :awesome:

Haha, holy poo poo. This is great.

As for the striker's final upgrade, I loved having 100 rounds in that thing :black101:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well I mean, it's Leon, who wouldn't want to hit that. Even zombiemen know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edmond Dantes posted:

IIRC the specific dialog they use when coming up behind you is Spanish for "I'm behind you, idiot".

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

haveblue posted:

IIRC the specific dialog they use when coming up behind you is Spanish for "I'm behind you, idiot".

Pretty much. They're saying "Detrás de ti, imbécil" ("Behind you, you imbecile").

The other phrase they repeat as a chant of sorts is "Morir es vivir" (To die is to live).

The Spanish is correct, grammar-wise, and it's obviously acted by native speakers, but not by Spaniards. It sounds like people from a more neutral-sounding country using Spain slang, if that makes sense.

Sounds a bit weird but you realize the game takes place in not Spain (pesetas), but it's mostly nitpicking on my part.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The headshot sound effect in RE4 may be the most viscerally satisfying clip in gaming history and no I don't care that this sounds weird. SQUISH.

Evil Within used the same sound, I'm pretty sure. Can't blame it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I personally think RE3 had a better head pop sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auopTDzsz28 (video containing like 200 headshots)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

At least for the time, RE4 had the best shotgun SFX. The first time I played it was on my brother's PS2 with surround sound and a meaty subwoofer.
That poo poo knocked me over.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Red 9 and Blacktail have higher damage values in different versions of the game which is part of the reason why some people swear by them while other people went with a different model.

One thing I love about the HD rerelease on PC is that somebody made a trainer so after so many legitimate playthroughs over the years I can finally go hog wild with unlimited ammo/health/money and do things like use the mine thrower as a primary weapon and turn every plagas in my way into a fine red mist. :getin:

You should have gotten it on the GameCube. The action replay let me do that forever ago. I would just load the game up and find some other goofy way to play. It owned.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What were the villagers saying when they said "um yehrnoff" and "ayy ahrgaw"? Spelled phonetically obviously

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

EmmyOk posted:

What were the villagers saying when they said "um yehrnoff" and "ayy ahrgaw"? Spelled phonetically obviously

Those two are probably "un forastero!" (a foreigner!) and "allí/ahí está!" (there he is!). You also have "agarrenlo!" (grab him!).

Oh, and they say "cerebros cerebros cerebros cerebros" (braaaains braaaains braaaains).

/fake edit: Well hello there

Most of those are pretty much spot on, except for one near the ending which they translated to "Quick, use your muscles!" which actually says "quick, there's an intruder!". I have no idea where they got the muscles bit from.

/edit: VVVVVV Detrás de ti, imbécil! :v:

Edmond Dantes has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Dec 18, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

EmmyOk posted:

I don't see any dialogue of theirs that remotely matches that, but this might help.

E: Annnd beaten like a ganado of course. :v:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Pneub posted:

I personally think RE3 had a better head pop sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auopTDzsz28 (video containing like 200 headshots)

The unfortunate thing about this particular video is that all the headshot squishes get covered up by the time-up sound :( but RE3 was actually a pretty spectacular game in itself with the powder-combining metagame element to it. Picking your battles fighting Nemesis and getting access to pretty ridiculous upgrades if you gamed it appropriately, gently caress I miss that now. RE3-Code:Veronica-RE4 was a pretty magical time to be alive.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I really liked the guerrilla guys who sounded like they were yelling about a cookie all the time. I don't remember what it actually was, though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Those two are probably "un forastero!" (a foreigner!) and "allí/ahí está!" (there he is!). You also have "agarrenlo!" (grab him!).

Oh, and they say "cerebros cerebros cerebros cerebros" (braaaains braaaains braaaains).

Most of those are pretty much spot on, except for one near the ending which they translated to "Quick, use your muscles!" which actually says "quick, there's an intruder!". I have no idea where they got the muscles bit from.

Ay Ahrgawh turned out to be "Hey, over there" at 1:03 in the above video. And I think my phonetics sound dead on :goonsay:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
drat, y'all've made RE4 sound very enticing for me. I'll have to pick it up during the Steam Sale.

Content: in older versions of Stepmania, by default, every 250(?)-arrow streak you get where your timing is perfect(/excellent/marvelous, whatever the equivalents for those two levels are), you'll get a quick popout of a character to commemorate this, accompanied by the soundbite "Toasty!"

I need to get a theme for 5.0 that has this feature.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

graybook posted:

drat, y'all've made RE4 sound very enticing for me. I'll have to pick it up during the Steam Sale.

It is really one of the greatest games ever made and anyone who hasn't played it definitely should.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have fond memories of shooting the lake for the first time.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

It is really one of the greatest games ever made

Seconded. I love the way leon never goes down ladders ever.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I've never checked in all these years but what do the chaingun enemies actually say? My friend and I always joked that they were screaming "Potata Potato!"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
"Matálo!" is a pretty popular thing for the Ganado to say in the second and third acts ("kill him!")

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Chard posted:

God yes. :allears:

For those not aware:Sometimes in RE4 you come across fish in small rivers or whatever and you can shoot them to get them as healing items; they're not space-efficient (some can take up like a fourth of the starter inventory) but they're useful in a pinch.

About a third of the way through the game you find the cultists dumping bodies into a lake where there's apparently some sort of creature living. After the cutscene, as you approach the lake, there's the usual pre-boss recharge stuff... and a bunch of fish in the shallows! So you can actually shoot a few and get some to top off your health, but if you shoot the lake too many times the lake monster pops out and kills you instantly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can sell fish to the merchant, I think he'll give you a couple thou for the big ones.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I think the best way to play RE4 is on the Wii, using a gun controller. It makes the game into a light-gun shooter, improves your accuracy infinitely, and just feels great. I kind of wish I hadn't sold my Wii now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Leon Kennedy: Zombie survivor, secret service agent, badass, fishmonger.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Accordion Man posted:

I've never checked in all these years but what do the chaingun enemies actually say? My friend and I always joked that they were screaming "Potata Potato!"

I'd be happy to translate if you can find me a clip, I can't remember off the top of my head.

EmmyOk posted:

Ay Ahrgawh turned out to be "Hey, over there" at 1:03 in the above video. And I think my phonetics sound dead on :goonsay:

I didn't remember that particular line, but it's closer to "acka" than "argh". :colbert:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ignite Memories posted:

Seconded. I love the way leon never goes down ladders ever.

Then in Shinji Mikami's next game, God Hand, Gene never goes up or down ladders.

Seriously, if you haven't played God Hand, whenever you press the prompt to climb a ladder, Gene just jumps up the entire length. God Hand is basically Resident Evil 4 but a beat-em-up, and is full of just as many awesome little things.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Squidster posted:

I think the best way to play RE4 is on the Wii, using a gun controller. It makes the game into a light-gun shooter, improves your accuracy infinitely, and just feels great. I kind of wish I hadn't sold my Wii now.

It does make the game into a light-gun shooter, but there is plenty of light-gun shooters. Gaining mastery over the interestingly-limited laser sights felt really badass when you clear the shooting range and can reliably shoots axes out of the air. I played the wii version when it came out, but any other playthrough the gamecube controller jut feels so right for this game. Oh well, different opinions!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How many lightgun shooters give you completely free navigation and let you suplex the enemies?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

Interesting "cheat" for this part: If you drop a flash grenade into the water you kill enough fish to completely fill your inventory and then some. However this only seems to work on the gamecube version. I tried it recently on the HD 360 version and it didn't work.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edmond Dantes posted:

They don't say cerebros, they say cojerlo cojerlo cojerlo, as in grab him.

They also say morir es vivir(dying is living)

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet
I always just harpooned the fish after killing the boss to save ammo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fibby Boy posted:

Interesting "cheat" for this part: If you drop a flash grenade into the water you kill enough fish to completely fill your inventory and then some. However this only seems to work on the gamecube version. I tried it recently on the HD 360 version and it didn't work.

Flash grenades also instantly kill any ganados with exposed plagas parasites, which makes them way more useful than you'd expect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Flash grenades also instantly kill any ganados with exposed plagas parasites, which makes them way more useful than you'd expect.

This carries over to later games too. Flash Grenades are absurdly useful, arguably the best kind of grenades period besides maybe ice grenades.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
When I first played I always sold my flash grenades like a moron because OH FLASH GRENADES JUST STUN poo poo gently caress THAT

Replaying the PC HD version made me see the truth behind those sweet, sweet blue bastards

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm buying the PC version when it goes on sale. I've beaten the game before but what is the most absurd way to cheat through it?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Squidster posted:

You might also like RE: Umbrella Chronicles, it's a straight-up light gun game for the Wii that was an absolute blast to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Alteisen posted:

They don't say cerebros, they say cojerlo cojerlo cojerlo, as in grab him.

They also say morir es vivir(dying is living)

They do say "cerebros": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzvnl-noW2A&t=29s at 29 seconds, and they say "cogeDlo", no "cojerlo", I mentioned both a bit higher in the page.