Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
lots of new posts. all of them bad.

let this new page mark the end of the discussion of the rapper known as j cole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New Spooky Black, or Corbin as I guess that's what he will be going by now. A bit different from his other stuff

https://soundcloud.com/spookyblack/corbin-worn-prod-by-wedidit-thestand4rd

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I at least appreciate the attempt to engage a bit more. Don't ever hedge or anything about actually trying to express an opinion.

And I think the comparison Noz was making was more with pre-MMG Wale, who was quite a bit different. As far as being relatable, his stuff doesn't seem to do enough to draw me in so I don't relate to much of what he says. I just don't find him good enough at his "thing" to make me care at all. Like I look at a dude like J.Cole, then I see someone like Kendrick (which is an admittedly high standard) and it just makes Cole's stuff look even more dull and empty. Or the album I've talked about constantly-"Dark Comedy". It's just way stronger in terms of what's being said than most of anything I've heard from J.Cole, and since dude's also not busting out crazy lyrical gymnastics or w/e there's nothing there to make me listen. I do appreciate what he's doing, and he's not "bad", but it's just kinda...there. He's probably a better "rapper" than a lot of dudes I listen to and like, but he doesn't make music I can recommend at all.

And as for some of the more "street" stuff-most of the dudes I actually like who are more lyrical or w/e are good enough to make me be able to relate, even if I'm not involved personally. Like, they don't need for you to actually have experienced what they're saying-they'll pull you into their world. Alternately, they have other things that make the music enjoyable. Nothing Migos say is particularly revealing or new content-wise, but the way they say it I find extremely interesting.

That's assuming you even need to "relate" to something to enjoy it. Like I'm not an asexual glam spaceman but I'll listen to Ziggy Stardust and enjoy it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
J cole is eeyore

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The only people that like J Cole are girls. Everyone else is really confused.

I hate when people throw around the positive or conscious label as a reason why someone is good or should be listed it. Those terms are descriptions but thoughtful music doesn't have more merit than anything else. But what insults me is that J Cole isn't anything special. There are plenty of rappers past or present that have "deepness" or whatever attribute people are attributing to him. So why should I continue to care about this dude just because he made a protest song? I respect it but I don't have to care. Kanye made an album last year that was basically kill whitey for 50 minutes and people didn't like his "dubstep" sounding production. Its marketing that puts Cole on a pedestal when Kendrick was already up there. Hell, Lil B makes some deep positive music. Nobody gives a gently caress. I'm not obligated to fall in line behind Cole because he has the Roc Nation hype train carrying him. I think Roc Nation buys all their artists records anyway.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

J cole is eeyore

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

i can only assume from that intense diatribe that you've been deeply scarred in the past by being physically forced to listen to, respect and appreciate J Cole so I'm sorry for your baggage

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Full (and still censored) version of Noisey's The Rap Monument is out now.
Uncensored version coming soon though probably.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Calico Heart posted:

i can only assume from that intense diatribe that you've been deeply scarred in the past by being physically forced to listen to, respect and appreciate J Cole so I'm sorry for your baggage

Yuzenn posted:

I think it would be interesting to have an actual discussion on why people think the album is bad instead of just jumping all over people's posts as soon as someone says they like the album.
Oops I long posted in the rap thread. Sorry for your finger need to roll the mouse wheel an extra 30% south. Lets all be snipping passive aggressive posters.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it wasn't even a long post it was like 6 sentences.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Cool Buff Man posted:

J cole is eeyore

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

temple posted:

Oops I long posted in the rap thread. Sorry for your finger need to roll the mouse wheel an extra 30% south. Lets all be snipping passive aggressive posters.

I was more talking about how in your post it the way you phrased it made it come across as if you literally couldn't escape J Cole or discussion about J Cole in your day to day life

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
J Cole has like what, three number 1 albums in a row now?

I still can't name a song.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

I at least appreciate the attempt to engage a bit more. Don't ever hedge or anything about actually trying to express an opinion.

And I think the comparison Noz was making was more with pre-MMG Wale, who was quite a bit different. As far as being relatable, his stuff doesn't seem to do enough to draw me in so I don't relate to much of what he says. I just don't find him good enough at his "thing" to make me care at all. Like I look at a dude like J.Cole, then I see someone like Kendrick (which is an admittedly high standard) and it just makes Cole's stuff look even more dull and empty. Or the album I've talked about constantly-"Dark Comedy". It's just way stronger in terms of what's being said than most of anything I've heard from J.Cole, and since dude's also not busting out crazy lyrical gymnastics or w/e there's nothing there to make me listen. I do appreciate what he's doing, and he's not "bad", but it's just kinda...there. He's probably a better "rapper" than a lot of dudes I listen to and like, but he doesn't make music I can recommend at all.

And as for some of the more "street" stuff-most of the dudes I actually like who are more lyrical or w/e are good enough to make me be able to relate, even if I'm not involved personally. Like, they don't need for you to actually have experienced what they're saying-they'll pull you into their world. Alternately, they have other things that make the music enjoyable. Nothing Migos say is particularly revealing or new content-wise, but the way they say it I find extremely interesting.

That's assuming you even need to "relate" to something to enjoy it. Like I'm not an asexual glam spaceman but I'll listen to Ziggy Stardust and enjoy it.

Yeah I know, I'm aware you don't have to relate in order for it to be vivid and have the picture painted for you. I think that's what you are eluding to, that's kind of the point.

Hell, Pusha-T is my favorite rapper and don't have much in common outside of being Black; but it's his delivery and flow that are dynamite every single time for me, no matter what subject matter. Plus the man makes drug dealing sound so loving cool :worship:.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Cool Buff Man posted:

J cole is eeyore

I sincerely wish he would quit making music.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
J. Cole is a boring rapper and he let nas down.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cole had a few decent tracks on his tapes and even on the first album. Everything since then has been a snooze

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

ok

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Don't feel insulted cause ppl don't like your favorite rapper lol

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

i saw this in the music video on MTV Jams when it came out and tbh i didn't know anyone else remembered this face. sorry RG3 but j cole is the original cornball brother

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah like someone else said his music is a little toooo personal and he comes off as whiny. Like his music is made for HIM and about HIM. His ego doesn't match his music. Hes like a Drake without the self awareness. That one mixtape he did was nice tho.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Haha

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Whose fans are more easily riled up: Drake or J Cole?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

j cole easily

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah, drake fans are anything but insecure.

it's the same answer to the question: whom would you rather listen to - drake or j cole?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

dayquil v nyquil

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
I don't know any J. Cole tracks besides the Let Nas Down.

Angryhead posted:

Loved the switch at 10:30ish, quite like her delivery too.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
drat, $2 million bail for Bobby Shmurda. Indicted on a couple counts of conspiracy, reckless endangerment, posession of a gun and a count of attempted murder and attempted assault.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

keevo posted:

attempted assault.

what? like shadowboxing? being unable to complete an insult due to a severe stutter?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Marching Powder posted:

what? like shadowboxing? being unable to complete an insult due to a severe stutter?

maybe it's when you're about to throw down outside a club but then the other guy runs inside and you get carded and you can't get in because you're only 20

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Feds saw him dancing and thought he was trying to fight someone.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Just in case you missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4GQv5OMk_w

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Fashawn X Alchemist FASH-Ionably Late (freEP)

:getin:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

keevo posted:

drat, $2 million bail for Bobby Shmurda. Indicted on a couple counts of conspiracy, reckless endangerment, posession of a gun and a count of attempted murder and attempted assault.

Did you see the pic of the weapons the police confiscated from his crew? It was loving insane, I'd say nearly every one was holding, no way they weren't about to do something serious.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

What do you mean do something serious? Lot of crews like that carry semi automatic weapons, or at least get the weed/pistol holders to carry them. Also his label is posting his bail which is good but he's hosed either way

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Kevin Gates' new poo poo is dope.

Denzel Curry's new video is dope.

Imma go see Yung Leany this Saturday.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Angryhead posted:

i hope big krit wasn't invited so he can make another really good angry track like mt olympus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005