Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I dropped mine a couple times already. Unless it lands on the screen or you forcibly throw it down, it's relatively safe, the leather is about 1 mm thick..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
So basically who the gently caress knows, right? Depends on how your iPhone lands when your butterfingers drop it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pretty much.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Duckman2008 posted:

This will probably switch everyone from case chat to screen protector chat, but the biggest thing is won't protect is the screen, so the leather case and a glass screen protector would do pretty well. People have different opinions, but I don't notice the screen protector personally.

It'll protect against falls onto flat surfaces; that's what the slight lip on the front of the case extending past the glass is for. That was the whole of the protection offered by the iPhone 4's bumper case.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's my white silicone case that I got on launch day. Still white as hell. I don't know what they're using to prevent it from staining but it works.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Here's my white silicone case that I got on launch day. Still white as hell. I don't know what they're using to prevent it from staining but it works.

Silicone doesn't stain. Everyone else's are leather.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Silicone doesn't stain. Everyone else's are leather.

Everyone that had Apple's first generation cases like this had staining. Including me. Denim especially likes to stain silicone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FishBulb posted:

It's barely there. It doesn't protect.

Sure as hell protected my phone. You can see the gouges in the corners where I dropped the phone a couple feet onto rough concrete - that would have scratched up or dented the phone for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. Same with mine, though one unfortunate drop landed right on the edge of the case where the bottom of the phone is exposed and scuffed it there a bit.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I some some scuffs on the corners of my leather case where it's hit the pavement on a drop. The biggest benefit is extra grip the case provides on the edges.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nickutz posted:

I some some scuffs on the corners of my leather case where it's hit the pavement on a drop. The biggest benefit is extra grip the case provides on the edges.

Yeah, I would prefer to go caseless but the edges of the 6 are just way too slick for my likes. The Apple leather case is the perfect compromise of something that's really thin, yet keeps the thing from sliding out of my hands like a bar of soap.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone know of any iPhone arm bands that work with a phone in a case? I'm looking at a few on Amazon and Best Buy and nearly all these reviews say that you need to take the case off. My wife has a slim case that goes on tight that would be a major pain to remove every run.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
How many years is it going to take before Apple fixes the iMessage bug that causes group chats to splinter into different threads

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The Born Approx. posted:

How many years is it going to take before Apple fixes the iMessage bug that causes group chats to splinter into different threads

Or the one where if a person in an iMessage group turns off iMessage there is no feedback given to anyone else in the group that that person is no longer receiving the group's messages? That burned me earlier this week.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
iMessage in general seems deprecated. Apple started it to give everyone effectively free texts, but all phone plans everywhere now have free texting.

I contemplate turning it off sometimes.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

bobfather posted:

iMessage in general seems deprecated. Apple started it to give everyone effectively free texts, but all phone plans everywhere now have free texting.

I contemplate turning it off sometimes.

Read receipts alone are worth it for me.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bobfather posted:

The idea is to create a draw to buying into the whole Apple ecosystem, since you can message people from any Apple device. And Yosemite/iOS 8's forwarding of SMS messages to other devices now means if your chat partners don't use iMessage, it doesn't limit its utility to you.

It's actually quite nice to be able to receive all my messages on my iPad or my laptop.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Group chats are worth it for me.

I'm surprised carriers haven't hacked group chats onto SMSes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Group chats are worth it for me.

I'm surprised carriers haven't hacked group chats onto SMSes.

You can do a group MMS, which is what iOS falls back to if one or more of the parties in the group don't have iMessage. It's just been only relatively recently that other phone manufacturers treated group MMS the same way as Apple has.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

eddiewalker posted:

Read receipts alone are worth it for me.

That requires the other people to actually have it on though, which most don't in my experience.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there something that I can buy to make my iPhone into a tripod without it being "obnoxious"? I really want to use the lapse timer, but I can't seem to find anything to prop up the phone somewhere nice, without it being like some sort of case / stand hybrid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Photography is a pretty obnoxious hobby in general, so just embrace it and go with the flow. A Gorillapod would probably be a really easy option to set up and lug around.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I used to have one that looked like anal beads and it just snuggly held my phone from the bottom of one side.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Is it actually physically possible for a screen surface to feel rougher after applying glass screen protection then taking it off? It's either that or an incredibly weird placebo effect because other phones I've tried felt smoother.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
What the gently caress happened to my 5s? For the last week or so about every 48 hours I lose all network connectivity. WiFi doesn't work (says its connected), switching to LTE doesn't work. The only way to get things working again is to reboot :argh:

Anyone else having these issues?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Is there something that I can buy to make my iPhone into a tripod without it being "obnoxious"? I really want to use the lapse timer, but I can't seem to find anything to prop up the phone somewhere nice, without it being like some sort of case / stand hybrid.

I have a RetiCAM phone mount which works well if you're just looking for a tripod mount. It'll actually stand the phone up by itself on a flat surface if that's good enough for you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

kitten smoothie posted:

You can do a group MMS, which is what iOS falls back to if one or more of the parties in the group don't have iMessage. It's just been only relatively recently that other phone manufacturers treated group MMS the same way as Apple has.

Can you do this without sending a pic or something? I'm surprised it's not automatic.
(Case study: I sent a message to three of my green bubble "friends" and found out that I had three separate one-on-one conversations going after that.)

obi_ant posted:

GPS mount comes to mind. When you unclip the phone clasp from the gooseneck it's not much larger than a bumper case.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Can you do this without sending a pic or something? I'm surprised it's not automatic.
(Case study: I sent a message to three of my green bubble "friends" and found out that I had three separate one-on-one conversations going after that.)
Yep, you don't need to send a pic to use group MMS. Out of the box, if you send a group message to all green people, or a combination of blue/green, it'll send an MMS. That started with iOS 5, IIRC.

Do you have MMS group messaging turned off in Settings > Messages > Group Messaging?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep, you don't need to send a pic to use group MMS. Out of the box, if you send a group message to all green people, or a combination of blue/green, it'll send an MMS. That started with iOS 5, IIRC.

Do you have MMS group messaging turned off in Settings > Messages > Group Messaging?

Interesting, this is exactly what I'm struggling with right now. I switched from iphone to android recently, and all of the group messages I'm in with iPhone users have since refused to text me at all in group texts. Everyones iPhones can text me individually in not iMessage, but as soon as a group starts the phones attempt to only send in IMessage, even though MMS is turned on. Any idea what else might be going on?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Quandary posted:

Interesting, this is exactly what I'm struggling with right now. I switched from iphone to android recently, and all of the group messages I'm in with iPhone users have since refused to text me at all in group texts. Everyones iPhones can text me individually in not iMessage, but as soon as a group starts the phones attempt to only send in IMessage, even though MMS is turned on. Any idea what else might be going on?

Have you tried this? https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Use the 2nd option, obviously.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Quandary posted:

Everyone in the group using an iPhone needs to delete the group conversation from their iPhone. Then when someone restarts the group it will detect you as MMS instead of iMessage. Good luck!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

This is likely a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I have an iPhone 6+ and a pair of bt headphones, the JBL E40BT. They are comfy and the fidelity is nice, but I feel the volume could be louder. Is there a way to make this happen, or are these just abnormally quite headphones?
Not sure if it's the case with those headphones, but with the BT audio stuff I've had there's two volumes, the iPhone volume and the BT device volume. So if you haven't yet, just try maxing out the iPhone volume and then the headphone volume.

(Well there's also the BT headset/speakerphone profile that has a shared volume setting...and in devices that have both, well volume is annoying :downs:)

obi_ant posted:

Could get a small portable folding thing like the Joby GripTight Micro, I think the XL size is required for iPhone 6 with a case though going by the specs, and I'm concerned about the reviews saying the holder part broke, but the tripod itself is fine.

I got that tripod recently for :10bux: on Amazon (well it was $9 a few days ago), and for the tripod mount I got this Square Jellyfish one, not big...but not all that small either, and doesn't fold all flat together with the tripod like Joby's thing. If you separate them you can kinda jam them flat together though v:shobon:v. It's got a bigger phone size range than the Joby ones though and seems pretty solid. There's also a shitload of cheaper and different ones out there of course.

Mest0r posted:

I have a RetiCAM phone mount which works well if you're just looking for a tripod mount. It'll actually stand the phone up by itself on a flat surface if that's good enough for you.
Oh neat, I was looking into that one but I was too cheap to spend the extra $10 :v: (well all of it x3 since I got them for my brothers for Christmas too).

Back to obi_ant, the RetiCAM is more secure since it locks in the phone vs the Jellyfish's spring loaded mount. Like the latter is fine for static usage and light movement from what I can tell, but for heavier movement mounted on whatever else the RetiCAM would be a better choice. Unless you want to do portrait video for some reason, I don't think it's possible with the RetiCAM without some fancier tripod that pivots sideways 90˚.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Avocados posted:

For those with the leather cases, how do they handle drops? I'm still on Otterboxes as I'm absolutely horrified of screen breakage, but I'd like to enjoy sleekness again.

I managed to get my 6 airborne after accidentally flinging it out of my pocket and having it perform perform 5 360s before landing on concrete corner first.

Not a single dent/chip, had the leather case on. I do have Applecare+ though, so if I do shatter my timbphone, it's only $59 to replace anyway.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

awesome-express posted:

I do have Applecare+ though, so if I do shatter my timbphone, it's only $59 to replace anyway.

$79 now, but yeah.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I used to be one of those "16GB of storage is good enough for me" people. Then I swapped my 16GB 6 with a 64GB 6+. Not having to juggle storage for apps, games and photos around makes the phone so much more useful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

shodanjr_gr posted:

I used to be one of those "16GB of storage is good enough for me" people. Then I swapped my 16GB 6 with a 64GB 6+. Not having to juggle storage for apps, games and photos around makes the phone so much more useful.

Yep I ended up eating crow on that one as well, and I was very vocal about "the cloud!" and "workflows!"

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

shodanjr_gr posted:

Agreed. For some reason Apple pushes 16GB super hard though. That is all every store had in stock here for the most popular color, steel gray, including ATT. I had to special order a 64GB one from Apple and they shipped it from China directly to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

Agreed. For some reason Apple pushes 16GB super hard though. That is all every store had in stock here for the most popular color, steel gray, including ATT. I had to special order a 64GB one from Apple and they shipped it from China directly to me.

I think they're pushing it is because no one wants it. So for a company that prides itself on a extremely lean and best in class JIT supply chain, that poo poo is clogging the tubes.

Far be it from me to lionize they guy, but this 16GB poo poo would probably not have happened with Steve at the helm.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

flosofl posted:

I think they're pushing it is because no one wants it. So for a company that prides itself on a extremely lean and best in class JIT supply chain, that poo poo is clogging the tubes.

Far be it from me to lionize they guy, but this 16GB poo poo would probably not have happened with Steve at the helm.

Yep. There was a looooong wait here if you wanted a 6/6+, "unless you want a 16 gig, we could give you one of those today." I think people woke up and realized poo poo is just too small and no one wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Is it fair to say Apple is dead at this point?