Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

I like :spergin:

Why do stone go from faster on the burner drill to slower on the electric?

With the numbers not quite rounded, that only matters if you are running hundreds of furnaces, right? If it's stone, you will get a stone or two at the end of a belt, for metals, the last furnace might be out of work for a second. Unless you flood the place with way to much ore, and way to many furnaces, and spend thousands of ores per second. Which you will once you grow a big enough factory!

The formula for mining speed is (mining power - hardness) * mining speed. Coal, iron, and copper have hardness .9, stone has hardness .4 (and all the vanilla resources have a mining time of 2). Burner drills have mining power 2.5 and speed 0.35, electric drills have power 3 and speed .5

So electric stone = 2/((3-0.4)*(.5)) = 4/2.6 = 1.53846...
And electric copper = 2/((3-0.9)*(.5)) = 4/2.1 = 1.90476...

At the kind of scales the exact numbers matter, though, you're likely going to have bigger issues with belt and inserter latency than anything else, which is why it's super spergy to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
All that grinding to get a grey square with "rocket defense" written on it. :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The journey is it's own reward.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yeah, I'm at that point, where I'm wiring up long lines towards alien nests so that I can laser tower them for a miniscule number of artifacts.

I'm disappointed that the tank turns out to be for multiplayer only. On the plus side, I've started seeing up logistics robots at my base, which is pretty spiffy.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I had the tank in single player.

Mk2 power armor filled with generators and shields and a good supply of shotgun shells and you are the tank. Switch to the backup armor with all generators and legs and you're almost as fast as the car.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Holy poo poo the clarity difference on the current resolution versus the detailed skins.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
This game has a goal? I thought you were supposed to cram the world with so much belt hell that your CPU burns up and dies with the heat of a Red Dwarf.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Overwined posted:

This game has a goal? I thought you were supposed to cram the world with so much belt hell that your CPU burns up and dies with the heat of a Red Dwarf.

Thats's pretty much how my "Ten Rocket Defenses Or Bust" games end up

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Overwined posted:

You need to do this to make the rocket defence anyway, as well as killing about a billion alien bases.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Evilreaver posted:

Thats's pretty much how my "Ten Rocket Defenses Or Bust" games end up

My last game the goal was to fill a steel chest with Rocket Defenses, but the game just crawled by the time I had 30 or 40 of them in the chest.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The goal is to make your factory self-replicating so it automatically expands, crushing aliens and slurping up resources until eventually the entire map is covered in machinery.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Neruz posted:

The goal is to make your factory self-replicating so it automatically expands, crushing aliens and slurping up resources until eventually the entire map is covered in machinery.

The true goal of Factorio, to reveal yourself as the enemy

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Neruz posted:

Factorio: Logistics chain and Grey Goo Simulator.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Has anyone tried using efficiency modules on bottling/unbottling to generate free oil?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Assuming you mean productivity modules, productivity is disabled for certain recipes. Barrelling/unbarrelling is not considered an "intermediate product" (despite being in the intermediate tab).

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Anyone wanna try modded multiplayer? I'm using the pack at http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6910 youll need to download the file in the op and overwrite with a fix at the last page. Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/optiquest

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Sure, add me on steam @dipwood or join the Goontorio group. I'm usually around EST 6pm+ but it's better if we plan ahead.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'd love to get some multiplayer in, it's an itch that's hard to scratch. same name as here, dipwood you're already my friend so drop me a message.

which version 11.8?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 22, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I haven't tried the "experimental" version, but the stable version has been insanely functional, I've had it going for a week with no issue. Are the experimental ones just as good at running steadily?

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

I haven't tried the "experimental" version, but the stable version has been insanely functional, I've had it going for a week with no issue. Are the experimental ones just as good at running steadily?

It's a cycle:
Point release (0.X) pushed to experimental: new features, potentially buggy but usually stable enough to play.
Minor releases (0.X.Y): Bug fixes, refinement, maybe some new minor features.
Once that major version is considered stable, it's pushed to alpha and the cycle begins again.

I haven't ran into any issues running experimental builds. The only point where I would hesitate is the first experimental release of a major change (like multiplayer).

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Multiplayer has been pretty drat good on a LAN. It sounds like other folks are having a good time over internet too. Our game hit a couple of bad desync loops but an upload of the save and bugreport on the official forums got it fixed in the next release. 11.7 is running well for us and the new car is cool so play in experimental, just be sure to submit bugreports to get your crashes fixed. So far it hasn't been more than a week and a half for something that broke our game to be fixed.

edit: looks like 11.8 dropped today http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7522

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Neruz posted:

You can make it self sustaining by having everything the base is made of being produced somewhere, with enough of a surplus that the robots can replace the broken bits, but it will eventually run out of resources, and there's no advanced robotics that would allow automatic expansion into resource fields.
So the resource location and base building is a manual process.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Edison was a dick posted:

You can make it self sustaining by having everything the base is made of being produced somewhere, with enough of a surplus that the robots can replace the broken bits, but it will eventually run out of resources, and there's no advanced robotics that would allow automatic expansion into resource fields.
So the resource location and base building is a manual process.

There's a mod (that I'm using and it also has some quite nice compact solar additions) that lets you have replicators, so then you can just have a self sustaining base that runs forever by itself with no need for finding new resources.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I created a custom scenario without aliens to try to make a base that uses trains as much as possible, and belts as little as possible. Is there a way to go back into the saved game I am already playing and insert aliens or purple science packs?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

https://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Console/Lua_commands

Particularly

code:
/c game.player.insert{name="alien-science-pack",count=100}
/c may not be necessary depending on version/mode

Or to spawn enemies

code:
 game.createentity{name = "medium-biter", position= {15, 3}, force = game.forces.enemy}
You may be able to change name to "biter-spawner" to get spawners to gen. Or just create a bunch of biters somewhere and they'll slowly generate their own spawners.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Awesome, thanks.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Would it be possible, by mod, to have a technology modify every existing building of a particular type? Or ideally, just every building.

I was thinking about writing a mod that improved the entire factory at once, like Speed Tech 1 improves all assemblers by +5%, with max 20 ranks like Follower Count. Ideally you'd also have Production Tech (+2%) and Effectivity Tech (+4%) all working naturally and in conjunction with inserted modules if present, without the downsides modules have (energy costs/etc). I think it would make an excellent 'future tech' mod as long as the costs scaled up insanely like Follower Count does-- maxing out all three trees would be a good goal for The Maximum Factorio Grognard(s).

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Would it be possible, by mod, to have a technology modify every existing building of a particular type? Or ideally, just every building

Not yet. But this will be a thing.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
I think I overused drones. I had a template that was just an electric miner mining into a provider chest thing , and then another template that was requester chests and electric furnaces. I have 3000 logistics drones fully maxed out on research and theyre' still not coping with the crap I want to do :(

guess I have to use belts

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Fajita Fiesta posted:

I think I overused drones. I had a template that was just an electric miner mining into a provider chest thing , and then another template that was requester chests and electric furnaces. I have 3000 logistics drones fully maxed out on research and theyre' still not coping with the crap I want to do :(

No, you just need more factories making drones.

Requester chest with inserter into roboport, and they are self replicating.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fajita Fiesta posted:

You should probably use belts as much as reasonable, while using logistics bots for things that would require absurd routing. Belts cost no power and can't get detoured.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Been a while since i played this, gonna play a new game and check out some of the new features and also test my luck with some mods.

What is the best/most extensive mod nowadays? Is it still DyTech? I saw it get some criticism for being needlessly complicated

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ineptitude posted:

Been a while since i played this, gonna play a new game and check out some of the new features and also test my luck with some mods.

What is the best/most extensive mod nowadays? Is it still DyTech? I saw it get some criticism for being needlessly complicated

People complain, but when you've beaten the game, all mods can really do is add complexity to create new challenges.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ikanreed posted:

People complain, but when you've beaten the game, all mods can really do is add complexity to create new challenges.

There's good complexity, and then there's tedium. DyTech adds tedium in too many ways for me to find it enjoyable.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

DyTech is Gregtech, and I've already started seeing modders getting upset about modpacks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Krataar posted:

DyTech is Gregtech, and I've already started seeing modders getting upset about modpacks.

Time is a flat circle.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Time is a flat circle.

Carousel buffers can be tricky beasts.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

"Kovarex" posted:

Carousel buffers can be tricky beasts.

Sensors

train station sensor (sends items in the train in the station)
light/daytime sensor
accumulator capacity sensor
electric network energy sensor
enemy sensor
manual switch

Receivers
light, condition can be specified, can be colored depending the singal
gate
electric network switch, can disconnect segments of electric network based on signal condition.
pumps

Yessss, finally an easy way to switch power grids without stupid workarounds.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

"Solar panels take up too much space", said I, "what a chore."

Not shown: another 30 (3 lines) off-screen
Total 270 engines, 137MW

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Evilreaver posted:

"Solar panels take up too much space", said I, "what a chore."

Are you using those boilers as chests? :hawaaaafap: