Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Eox posted:

Isn't telltale the one that's constantly biting off way more than they can chew

No they're the ones who constantly create award winning story-games based on garbage (The Walking Dead, Fables)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Is that a wall of jelly bean dispensers?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

mutata posted:

"Minecraft just doesn't have ANY CONTENT!"

*walks down the Minecraft aisle at Toys R Us*

That's about as good an argument as saying the same thing, but replacing "Minecraft" with "Angry Birds".

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
i would buy the telltale angry birds game too bitch

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
let's put it this way: minecraft has a fuckton of content, and basically all of it gets really dumb or kind of embarrassing when taken outside the context of the game itself

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cheez posted:

That's about as good an argument as saying the same thing, but replacing "Minecraft" with "Angry Birds".

How do you survive in a world where a story based Minecraft spinoff game and an Angry Birds movie both exist? You do know they're making a Minecraft movie, right? Are... are you gonna be ok?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Cheez posted:

First off, if you don't think there's just slightly more to work with using Minecraft than there is to Angry Birds, then I don't know what to tell you. :shrug:

Secondly, if a game was made that attempted to use the Angry Birds content, some kind of adventure thing like a Mario or Zelda game and it told a story or whatever, that'd be cool too. There's not as much content to work with as there is with Minecraft, but it's not like "Angry Birds: The Search for the Bomb Bird (or whatever the black explodey one is)" couldn't be well made and fun.

IronicDongz posted:

let's put it this way: minecraft has a fuckton of content, and basically all of it gets really dumb or kind of embarrassing when taken outside the context of the game itself

Well, good thing then that this game will, in fact, be made within the context of a Minecraft game - you know, with the entire point being that it's a Minecraft game.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 19, 2014

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Is that a wall of jelly bean dispensers?

That and M&Ms, funny enough, Notch tweeted in reply to the candy wall that he doesn't even eat sweets.. so he literally bought that just because he could.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Enzer posted:

That and M&Ms, funny enough, Notch tweeted in reply to the candy wall that he doesn't even eat sweets.. so he literally bought that just because he could.

I hope Notch spends the rest of his days outbidding Hollywood starlets for ridiculous luxury items, just because he can.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Notch posted:

so weird. All of this is so weird. I feel so lucky and out of my element, but I thought I should give it a shot.

:allears:

But no, for reals, that house and its interior is loving hideous, but I guess "What is the most garish and ludicrously expensive way we can decorate each room" is a design choice for this kind of thing.

I am amused however that Notch now owns 15 remote controlled toilets that each cost $5,600.

VVVVVVV

Eight bedrooms, so yeah, one for every day of the week plus one on rotation. :haw:

Enzer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 19, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
http://kotaku.com/minecrafts-creator-buy-the-most-expensive-house-in-beve-1672978154
You can take a tour of the house in this article. It's so huge, with so many bedrooms you could probably sleep in one each day of the week...

Unbelievably expensive for something so...plain and expansive though. Pretty empty feeling to me, worse when you're all alone there. Unless Notch has hooker and blow parties regularly, he's setting himself up for a more lonely life, where the neighbors are all strangers and no one really talks to him. I guess programming in the basement of a super expensive home is a goon's dream, but... :smith:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Bel Monte posted:

http://kotaku.com/minecrafts-creator-buy-the-most-expensive-house-in-beve-1672978154
You can take a tour of the house in this article. It's so huge, with so many bedrooms you could probably sleep in one each day of the week...

Unbelievably expensive for something so...plain and expansive though. Pretty empty feeling to me, worse when you're all alone there. Unless Notch has hooker and blow parties regularly, he's setting himself up for a more lonely life, where the neighbors are all strangers and no one really talks to him. I guess programming in the basement of a super expensive home is a goon's dream, but... :smith:

I'm pretty sure he'll have no problems finding people to keep him company there. Some people, Notch included probably, have "friends" and "family".

Plus, the aforementioned hookers...

He likely won't live there fulltime - a place like that is for entertaining people anyway. All the tables and lounging areas and kitchens and dining rooms have a dozen seats set up. It's a party pad. He just spent less than 10% of the money he made in the sale, that's not much for a fancy show off place for when you want to have a weekend bash.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 19, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Enzer posted:

:allears:

But no, for reals, that house and its interior is loving hideous, but I guess "What is the most garish and ludicrously expensive way we can decorate each room" is a design choice for this kind of thing.

Oh thank god I'm not the only person thinking that.

I mean, it's OK, but not what I'd spend a squillion quid on.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

On the other hand, all that crap can be thrown out and the house design itself is still sound.

Its not like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsJ-oREpzq4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whether you're in or outside of Minecraft, some of the most elaborate houses you'll ever see are just big ol rectangles.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Enzer posted:

The house came furnished with the candy room, so it's not like he went out and bought that specifically.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

ToastyPotato posted:

A normal response would be: I have no interest in this video game.
Dumb nerd response: THIS IS SO BAD WHY ARE THEY EVEN MAKING THIS?!

For instance, I have no interest in it. And I almost agree that it is kind of dumb, but I am not angry about it. Why would I waste time and energy complaining about something like that? Like I said, it has no effect on anything, unless you REALLY like Telltale games and hate that they are making this instead of something else.

We'll get a Telltale Tron game someday.....

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

On the other hand, all that crap can be thrown out and the house design itself is still sound.

Its not like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsJ-oREpzq4

"The Jungle room is perfect for kids or for your caretaker", said room is covered in tacky jungle wallpaper and probably counts as torture in some countries.

My god, that house has more colored LEDs and lasers than clubs I've been in. Is this some sort of 90s interior design horror flick? Also, how the hell does a house look simultaneously so generic and bland and yet tacky and over done at the same time? It's a complete mish-mash of ideas. If you thought you could escape the colored LEDs from the inside though, you'd be very wrong. Even the outdoors is teaming with that poo poo.

I'm sorry, it's just...that house. You should trigger warn that for designers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bel Monte posted:

Spoilers: Notch is going to have hooker and blow parties regularly.

And trust me, no billionaire that's ever lived has ever had a problem with not enough people wanting to talk to him. He'll have armed guards whose specific job is to prevent people from talking to him.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bel Monte posted:

"The Jungle room is perfect for kids or for your caretaker", said room is covered in tacky jungle wallpaper and probably counts as torture in some countries.

My god, that house has more colored LEDs and lasers than clubs I've been in. Is this some sort of 90s interior design horror flick? Also, how the hell does a house look simultaneously so generic and bland and yet tacky and over done at the same time? It's a complete mish-mash of ideas. If you thought you could escape the colored LEDs from the inside though, you'd be very wrong. Even the outdoors is teaming with that poo poo.

I'm sorry, it's just...that house. You should trigger warn that for designers.

I take it you didn't get far enough for the narrator to start speaking about the guest house on the banks of the Mississippi, which immediately tells you it's in a wrong state. Doesn't matter which one, it's wrong.

On the other hand, if you're looking for inspiration for your next build, this video is for you.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I hope the new game includes Herobrine!

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Spoilers: Notch is going to have hooker and blow parties regularly.

And trust me, no billionaire that's ever lived has ever had a problem with not enough people wanting to talk to him. He'll have armed guards whose specific job is to prevent people from talking to him.

Even lavish parties regularly cost quite a bit. I have to imagine that'd just burn through his money. Eventually he'd have to stop...right? Or is he actually just that rich?

pseudorandom name posted:

I take it you didn't get far enough for the narrator to start speaking about the guest house on the banks of the Mississippi, which immediately tells you it's in a wrong state. Doesn't matter which one, it's wrong.

On the other hand, if you're looking for inspiration for your next build, this video is for you.

The guest house was the only normal part of that place, and yet I bet it still had more colored LED lights than a christmas tree.

Was this part of some sort of series or something? How do you find such monstrosities? I need them for...uhh...minecraft inspiration. For friends.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bel Monte posted:

Even lavish parties regularly cost quite a bit. I have to imagine that'd just burn through his money. Eventually he'd have to stop...right? Or is he actually just that rich?
He is a literal billionaire.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So did he take the money in us currency and move to the us to avoid the high Sweden tax rate?

But yeah, he is worth like 1.5 billion

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Vib Rib posted:

He is a literal billionaire.

But that came from no source of income other than "just sold a thing". That money's going to disappear fast and we'll see hobo Notch on the streets because he's never going to get that much again and he seems desperate to spend as much of it as possible.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

whalestory posted:

what if they incorporated stuff outside minecraft like famous streamers as characters :-) think about it

That would be terrible, imagine the adult horror walking into a small house in a village to find Lewis , Honeydew and Sips all in bed together...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think you underestimate just how far you can stretch a billion fuckin dollars. He could spend thousands every day for the rest of his life and not run out of the funds he got from sales of Minecraft, and that's if the game for some reason stopped selling today.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cheez posted:

But that came from no source of income other than "just sold a thing". That money's going to disappear fast and we'll see hobo Notch on the streets because he's never going to get that much again and he seems desperate to spend as much of it as possible.

Then he'll sell his 70 million dollar house and buy a 2 million dollar house and live in luxury for the rest of his life anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I think you underestimate just how far you can stretch a billion fuckin dollars. He could spend thousands every day for the rest of his life and not run out of the funds he got from sales of Minecraft, and that's if the game for some reason stopped selling today.

More specifically, if he lives for 60 more years starting from one billion dollars, he could spend 45 thousand dollars every single day.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As long as there are Beyonces and JayZzes in the world, he hasn't spent jack poo poo on that house. That's the fun thing about paying cash for property.

Edit: Aside from your occasional real estate crash, but then at the 70mil bracket that probably doesn't matter much.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MikeJF posted:

More specifically, if he lives for 60 more years starting from one billion dollars, he could spend 45 thousand dollars every single day.
Jesus Christ when you put it like that it makes me really uncomfortable.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

KoB posted:

I think The Walking Dead Season 1 was a fluke judging from the following two games they did though.

That's probably because the lead producers on Season 1 left to start their own company before Season 2.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I actually liked Wolf Among Us.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MikeJF posted:

And with things like interest and investments, it's probably literally impossible to run out of money if you're that rich. He could lose almost all of it and still be incredibly rich.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

MikeJF posted:

On the other hand, the more expensive things he buys the bigger his upkeep becomes. Just consider how much it costs to keep that new house of his stocked, clean and maintained.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I have a feeling those costs are well within the "45 thousand dollar" range.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Notch has $1.5 billion dollars. $70million of that is 4.6% of his net worth - at a fairly conservative 5% yearly return on his investments, he could buy one of those houses every year forever and his money would still be growing each year. Don't worry guys, he'll be fine. The only way you lose all your money when you have that much is when you buy a business and it fails; Notch doesn't seem like the type to buy businesses. It's impossible to blow thru a billion and a half dollars with hookers and parties.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

On the other hand, the more expensive things he buys the bigger his upkeep becomes. Just consider how much it costs to keep that new house of his stocked, clean and maintained.

He can hire someone to do that, give them a living wage, and leave the budget open, and that's like 2 days out of the year for that $45,000.

Notch is set for life in a way that he could easily make a dozen other people set for life on a whim.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I say good for him, there is a very large quantity of people out there that think Notch is undeserving of that money because of Minecraft's simplicity but I disagree, I think he's a smart businessman and he earned that billion and a half. He did get very lucky and found a very good niche market but even despite that it would've taken very little to blow it and sink Mojang, and he didn't fall into any of those pits. I can only ever wish I had enough money to live comfortably like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And on the plus side, it's going to be -hilarious- if he ever winds up broke in afew years from spending it all.