Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

casual poster posted:

who did this?

Anyone planning on going to electric wizard in philadelphia at the end of March? I don't know many people who'd be into it.

Mark Meyer while he was guesting in Milwaukee at Shogun. He ususally is at Proton in DeKalb, IL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

nerve posted:

Mark Meyer while he was guesting in Milwaukee at Shogun. He ususally is at Proton in DeKalb, IL

Nice. I love that dark traditional stuff.

Ummm, so I feel like a loser asking this, but whose a good place to buy tickets from? The last time I bought something that wasn't specifically from a venue was through Ticketmaster. Whose trust worthy now? This place called TicketFly popped up, but they don't go on sale until friday.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

casual poster posted:

Nice. I love that dark traditional stuff.

Ummm, so I feel like a loser asking this, but whose a good place to buy tickets from? The last time I bought something that wasn't specifically from a venue was through Ticketmaster. Whose trust worthy now? This place called TicketFly popped up, but they don't go on sale until friday.

The venue's box office if possible. For most metal shows I just pay at the door anyway. Never run into a sellout.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
Between High on Fire and Electric Wizard my wife says I need a buddy to go to shows with :(

I'll put an ad out on Craigslist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Go alone like the goon that you are. Friends at concerts are just for making the downtime go faster.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a good way to find out what bands are touring another country on specific dates?

Im headed to Japan soon and want to see if theres anyone in town while I am that I can check out. Some of the smaller bands dont make it to Aus.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bandsintown is a good app!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I tried but it doesnt let me specify what dates I want to know about, it just tells me about the 10 gigs for mainstream acts that I dont care about that have been announced or are in the future.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Songkick will usually list any venue that's having a show

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anybody got any sites to recommend where I can get some band t-shirts? All I'm getting is hemp related stuff that is not what I want. Any help is cool.

Hopefully, the OP will add it to the 1st page. Thanks goons.

GORILLA BASTARD fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 18, 2014

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
https://www.allthatisheavy.com has a fair amount. I've ordered a whack of stuff from there, it's a great site.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Is there a reason you can't just go to google and search "[band name] merch" ?

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nerve posted:

Is there a reason you can't just go to google and search "[band name] merch" ?

Like posted before, getting a bunch of hemp related merch instead of band merch.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Like posted before, getting a bunch of hemp related merch instead of band merch.

In that case look for their official Facebook (or other site) and look for a merch link. That should work like 99% of the time

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was going to ask "is it Weedeater" and try to be cheeky but then i realized i wasn't in the general metal thread and realized that it is, in fact, most likely a band closely associated with weed

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's some cool ones:

http://www.nightgauntgraphics.com/
sleep, asunder, corrupted, dystopia etc.

http://www.shirtkiller.com/LiteCommerce/cart.php?target=category&category_id=337
weedeater, buzzoven, black cobra, Harvey milk etc.

http://holymountainprinting.bigcartel.com/
pallbearer, buzzoven, dragged into sunlight

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Just got this done today.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Doom/Bongripper tattoos for liiiiife. Who did it?

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Just a local studio. I don't think anyone here will have heard of them. It only took two hours to do and it'll look plenty better once the swelling goes down and it starts to heal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Seeing Pallbearer tonight. What should I expect as far as the ratio of hipsters to metal dudes?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
They seem to be on everyone's best of the year lists so probability is high?
That new album still doesn't do it for me like the first one and I'm having a hard time understanding all the critical acclaim.
That being said I would definitely go see them if they were coming close to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked the new one better than Sorrow & Extinction but yeah, I don't know how anyone becomes the hipster metal band du jour (although it probably helps that they toured with Deafheaven this summer). I get to cover some shows for a website though, and since we couldn't actually get a press pass I'm gonna write about that phenomenon as well as a review.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gushing Granny posted:

Just a local studio. I don't think anyone here will have heard of them. It only took two hours to do and it'll look plenty better once the swelling goes down and it starts to heal.

It's not about if we've had heard of them, but so we can go look them up and possibly generate more business/get more IG followers

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
The Sword and Pallbearer are playing on New Years eve in Austin, that'd be a fun show.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

ugh hipsters, right guys

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I hope no hipsters ruin my good time at the doom metal show. They might do something bad like headbang in a different way than I am used to or drink PBR with their pinkies up.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Hey nerds, listen to My Friend's doom band called Disrotted http://disrotted.bandcamp.com/

Adam also sings in the grind band Sick/Tired. Good poo poo. Some real Hipster poo poo, imo. LIYL hipster doom

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thats some next level hipster poo poo, dis-prefix band who don't play d-beat

e: also hipsters buy poo poo. they might be tourists who'll jump ship once the next big thing comes but at least they spend money on merch.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 18, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nobody was actually complaining about hipsters, guys

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Phiz triple post in the Stoner thread, gat drat.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ethan posted:

https://www.allthatisheavy.com has a fair amount. I've ordered a whack of stuff from there, it's a great site.

Dyna Soar posted:

here's some cool ones:

http://www.nightgauntgraphics.com/
sleep, asunder, corrupted, dystopia etc.

http://www.shirtkiller.com/LiteCommerce/cart.php?target=category&category_id=337
weedeater, buzzoven, black cobra, Harvey milk etc.

http://holymountainprinting.bigcartel.com/
pallbearer, buzzoven, dragged into sunlight

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like none of these have any women's cuts? Please correct me if I'm wrong - I have tons of men's shirts in sizes that 'fit,' but lately I'm trying to find something that actually fits (especially in the sleeves). Other links are also appreciated.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Turns out Pallbearer sold out. That's never happened to me before, but I guess Chicago concert-going is a different animal than Detroit or Cleveland.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ChickenArise posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like none of these have any women's cuts? Please correct me if I'm wrong - I have tons of men's shirts in sizes that 'fit,' but lately I'm trying to find something that actually fits (especially in the sleeves). Other links are also appreciated.
I'd love to know a good place for ladies' band tops too. It's much easier to find generic/non-band metal tops so it'd be good to get some band tops that aren't just small men's - which don't really work for me being 5'11" :v:

Nightgaunt does women's tops but the choices are a bit limited for my taste.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
bands don't make ladyfit shirts because they don't sell. women don't buy band shirts, or not enough women to make it worthwhile anyway.

here's some tutorials on how to make a mens shirt more tight fitting for girls (my gf uses a technique similar to these):

http://www.andreasteed.com/node/1266
http://www.instructables.com/id/T-Shirt-Mod-Boxy-to-Foxy/

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Crossposting from the general metal thread:

The site I write for requested 30 entries for our end of year-lists this year, here's mine:

1 YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend
2 Earth - Primitive And Deadly
3 Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry
4 Teitanblood - Death
5 The Order Of The Solar Temple - The Order Of The Solar Temple
6 Goat - Commune
7 Blood Of Kingu - Dark Star On The Right Horn Of The Crescent Moon
8 Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials
9 The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li
10 Monolord - Empress Rising
11 Fen - Carrion Skies
12 Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
13 Rome - A Passage To Rhodesia
14 Spectral Haze - I.E.V.: Transmuted Nebula Remains
15 Panopticon - Roads To The North
16 Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate
17 Satanic Warmaster - Fimbulwinter
18 Bong - Stoner Rock
19 Thou - Heathen
20 Bastard Sapling - Instinct Is Forever
21 Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere
22 The Body - I Shall Die Here
23 Midnight - No Mercy For Mayhem
24 Paramnesia - Paramnesia
25 Bongripper - Miserable
26 Bölzer - Soma
27 John Gallow - Violet Dreams
28 Death Penalty - Death Penalty
29 Truckfighters - Universe
30 Tumbleweed Dealer - Western Horror

I know I'm missing a lot of great stuff, but holy poo poo 2014 has been packed with fantastic metal.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
How would you tell the difference between a hipster metal fan and a doom fan? Drinking PBR? Beard? poo poo, I think we're all hipsters...

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

bands don't make ladyfit shirts because they don't sell. women don't buy band shirts, or not enough women to make it worthwhile anyway.

here's some tutorials on how to make a mens shirt more tight fitting for girls (my gf uses a technique similar to these):

http://www.andreasteed.com/node/1266
http://www.instructables.com/id/T-Shirt-Mod-Boxy-to-Foxy/

Thiese are good guides if you know anything about sewing. Sucks that few bands make shirts for girls but with a guy heavy audience I understand why it probably isn't worth it for them. I think best bet for female cuts would be the bands merch site usually under babydoll

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 19, 2014

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
A little late to the party but Pallbearer is pretty awesome.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

ElectricWizard posted:

Crossposting from the general metal thread:

The site I write for requested 30 entries for our end of year-lists this year, here's mine:

1 YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend
2 Earth - Primitive And Deadly
3 Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III: Saturnian Poetry
4 Teitanblood - Death
5 The Order Of The Solar Temple - The Order Of The Solar Temple
6 Goat - Commune
7 Blood Of Kingu - Dark Star On The Right Horn Of The Crescent Moon
8 Sunn O))) & Ulver - Terrestrials
9 The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li
10 Monolord - Empress Rising
11 Fen - Carrion Skies
12 Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith
13 Rome - A Passage To Rhodesia
14 Spectral Haze - I.E.V.: Transmuted Nebula Remains
15 Panopticon - Roads To The North
16 Wovenhand - Refractory Obdurate
17 Satanic Warmaster - Fimbulwinter
18 Bong - Stoner Rock
19 Thou - Heathen
20 Bastard Sapling - Instinct Is Forever
21 Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere
22 The Body - I Shall Die Here
23 Midnight - No Mercy For Mayhem
24 Paramnesia - Paramnesia
25 Bongripper - Miserable
26 Bölzer - Soma
27 John Gallow - Violet Dreams
28 Death Penalty - Death Penalty
29 Truckfighters - Universe
30 Tumbleweed Dealer - Western Horror

I know I'm missing a lot of great stuff, but holy poo poo 2014 has been packed with fantastic metal.

Ailo Ravna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music
Just saw Bongripper in Gothemburg. I'm tingling of joy.