Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

I had to do a double-take, because I was like "Wait wait is dominatrix lady really walking around topless??!" Maybe her superpower is the ability to not have nipples.

We're going to need a colorized version of her costume in order to un-see her being topless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
http://bato.to/read/_/291261/boku-no-hero-academia_ch20_by_fallen-angels/1

So, is it me, or does every 'issue' feel just on the side of too short? Despite being, you know, all the same size? Because I want more. Three chapters more.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
Hey I'm just happy AM made it through ok. I was sure hand face was gonna kung-fu death grip him this chapter. whew.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

FH_Meta posted:

http://bato.to/read/_/291261/boku-no-hero-academia_ch20_by_fallen-angels/1

So, is it me, or does every 'issue' feel just on the side of too short? Despite being, you know, all the same size? Because I want more. Three chapters more.

Linked one got pulled for some reason. Use http://bato.to/read/_/291262/boku-no-hero-academia_ch20_by_fallen-angels/1

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was a surprisingly complete victory for the heroes, really. They managed to crush Noumu, beat up tons of mooks, and drive off Shigaraki and Black Mist, without anyone dying. Aizawa's pretty hosed up and Deku managed to go and break his limbs again, but All Might and No. 13 both survived despite what you would have expected, and none of the other kids were seriously injured.

I wonder if the video game references were a thing in the original or something this group added. The other translation didn't have them but it was also a bit iffy, so they could have missed it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Roland Jones posted:

That was a surprisingly complete victory for the heroes, really. They managed to crush Noumu, beat up tons of mooks, and drive off Shigaraki and Black Mist, without anyone dying. Aizawa's pretty hosed up and Deku managed to go and break his limbs again, but All Might and No. 13 both survived despite what you would have expected, and none of the other kids were seriously injured.

I wonder if the video game references were a thing in the original or something this group added. The other translation didn't have them but it was also a bit iffy, so they could have missed it.

The series has always had lots of game references. The teacher described the entrance exam a lot like a game, and they even made references to Mario Bros.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aside from the references habds guy likes using game terms. Its his speech gimmick.

having that many hands probably makes you great at the arcades.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Roland Jones posted:

Do not tempt Kohei, he is not afraid of killing people.

Also it's the first real encounter; kinda sets a tone if you have people dying in the first real encounter with the badguys.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mineta looks like a sticky-headed version of Mickey Mouse.

Sticky Mouse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Then there's Noumu who looks like the Maxx.

Digging this series a lot more than I anticipated. Walks a thin line between cliche and comfort food, but the cast is so likable (sans Bakugou) that I don't really mind.

Little disappointed invisible girl didn't get the drop on that last mook, though. Seems like it would've been a natural move for her in an arc where most of the students got a chance to show off their powers.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we haven't seen much of her these last few chapters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Yeah, we haven't seen much of her these last few chapters.

Ouch.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

gnome7 posted:

I guess that's just what 110% looks like.
No it doesn't, since this is 120%:

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 20, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Seafood posted:

Then there's Noumu who looks like the Maxx.

He's not the only one.

I thought of The Maxx as soon as I saw those goofy mask-teeth.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

He's not the only one.

I thought of The Maxx as soon as I saw those goofy mask-teeth.

But those rabbit ears...

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
Now I'm seriously curious. Just what is hand-face's power? It can't simply be kung-fu death grip. Maybe he's actually insanely strong, maybe those hands are there just to hold him back, maybe when he goes to his final form the hands go away.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well he talks all in game terms soooo

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cyrus_zane posted:

Now I'm seriously curious. Just what is hand-face's power? It can't simply be kung-fu death grip. Maybe he's actually insanely strong, maybe those hands are there just to hold him back, maybe when he goes to his final form the hands go away.

When he grabbed Aizawa, the latter's arm seemed to start breaking apart; the clothing just disintegrated or disappeared or something, and his skin started cracking it looked like. Between that and how he somehow tore the gate to pieces (it was a pile of rubble) I think it's a bit more than just super strength.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

When he grabbed Aizawa, the latter's arm seemed to start breaking apart; the clothing just disintegrated or disappeared or something, and his skin started cracking it looked like. Between that and how he somehow tore the gate to pieces (it was a pile of rubble) I think it's a bit more than just super strength.

So perhaps less of a Kung-fu death grip and more a touch of death? Something like a rapid decay ability perhaps?

cyrus_zane fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 21, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

cyrus_zane posted:

So perhaps less of a Kung-fu death grip and more a touch of death? Something like a rapid decay ability perhaps?

Just play this whenever he's on screen.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cyrus_zane posted:

Or whatever he touches becomes incredibly brittle.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
Actually looking back through the chapters any part of hand-face that is actually visible looks kind of old and decayed as well. Obviously there are no hands on his lower body and we've seen the character run on his own, but let's set that aside for now. If you just look at the upper body it looks as though some of the hands are specifically in support positions like the two under the armpits in a position that would support the weight of the torso. In addition the hands on the neck and face could be providing support for the head. As for the other hands it could be that they serve the purpose of both supporting and moving the arms so that he can use his quirk, which does seem to involve him grabbing something. If this is true it would seem to indicate that for some reason he is incapable of moving or even holding up his entire upper body on his own, maybe as a side effect of his own ability? Of course this is all a theory I'm throwing out there to try and grasp why he is covered in hands.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://bato.to/read/_/291575/boku-no-hero-academia_ch21_by_fallen-angels/3 New chapter up! I am surprised none of the students got injured at all. I was sort of expecting one of them to have a war wound to show off/tell a story about.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Best part: the blank spot in the student collage for invisible girl.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

gnome7 posted:

http://bato.to/read/_/291575/boku-no-hero-academia_ch21_by_fallen-angels/3 New chapter up! I am surprised none of the students got injured at all. I was sort of expecting one of them to have a war wound to show off/tell a story about.
They kind of implied that the kids were able held their own but they didn't get hurt because the three teachers all took some serious damage instead.

Its pretty impressive to me!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not to mention Aizawa, No. 13 are known entities with publicized powers and track records, verses a handful of "Terrified" kids just getting their feet wet. I doubt too many of Shigaraki's goons warped in there thinking of them as anything more than potential hostages. Too bad Todoroki's not the kinda guy you want to underestimate.

Get better Aizawa. :ohdear:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm really getting the impression that the 'Sensei' is the detective that was chatting to All Might at the end.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

HiveCommander posted:

I'm really getting the impression that the 'Sensei' is the detective that was chatting to All Might at the end.

Errrr, why exactly? :confused:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That massive group of villains was probably nothing compared to what's coming next...

OH YEAH, THIS IS A SCHOOL!!

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

Oh good, so I'm not the only one. I can't even say why, there's just something shifty about him.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Ah, the tensioooon of a sports festival. Nothin' like it.

(But this is also the nation's top school for producing heroes. A sports festival there has to be intersting. I'd also say a great target, but there's already been one failed attack not too long ago. Probably won't be another, but if there is it's not targeting All Might.)

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno All Might seems like a good judge of character so far. I think the detective is genuine.
Although that super generic look of his might be part of his quirk, the kind that lets him blend into the background.

cyrus_zane posted:

It's basically death touch.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 21, 2014

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Kyte posted:

Although that super generic look of his might be part of his quirk, the kind that lets him blend into the background.
I think he looks generic because he's a detective, instead of a comic book character. He's just this guy, you know?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jazu posted:

I think he looks generic because he's a detective, instead of a comic book character. He's just this guy, you know?

Turns out he's actually Saitama, One Punch Man crossover to follow.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Jazu posted:

Yeah but almost everybody has a quirk and a stealth quirk would do wonders for detective work. Plus, that reasoning doesn't quite work out when his fellow cops are a catman and an ogre.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kyte posted:

Yeah but almost everybody has a quirk and a stealth quirk would do wonders for detective work. Plus, that reasoning doesn't quite work out when his fellow cops are a catman and an ogre.

I'd guess that he has a quirk that's useful for detective work, probably something that can help him gather information.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Errrr, why exactly? :confused:
I can't quite explain it, he just seems a little off. He got introduced as a guy that knows All Might's identity right after we see hands-man talking to this 'sensei' character (who's in-the-know about AM).
It just feels like foreshadowing, but I'm probably wrong. Shounens love throwing out good characters that were actually evil all along, so who knows :shrug:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Boo, no more "Cement. Quirk: Cement."

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Kyte posted:

I want to learn more about Catective and Offogre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why wouldn't All Might have friends in the police? He is a nice guy, and he respects people who can do what he can't.