Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Shadows of Mordor is kind of easy if you've played all the Batman Arkham games because you've basically been practising the combat system for like a 100 hours. If you find yourself kerb stomping warchiefs turning it up to hard is probably a good way to get some stories out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

On Just Cause 2, is it worth sticking with one faction until you've done all their missions, or can you just pick and choose as you go along? And how do you unlock fast travel?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

On Just Cause 2, is it worth sticking with one faction until you've done all their missions, or can you just pick and choose as you go along? And how do you unlock fast travel?

Doing the main missions will unlock a fast travel option relatively early on so do those until you get it. I don't think it really matters which one you do missions for at any given time though.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Anything for Shin Megami Tensei 4?

Don't forget about the street pass stuff! It was talked about a bunch of pages back, but essentially it lets you buff up a certain demon like crazy (white card), or you can let it randomly fuse with passersby in addition to grabbing extra stats and skills (black card). You also get a special multi-hit attack, which maxes out at 12 or 15, dependent on how many streetpasses you've gathered.

Though, like the DLC, it does tend to make an already pretty easy SMT game even easier.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

blackguy32 posted:

Anything for the evil within?

- The game starts out pretty stealthy, and you'll need to be stealthy to survive. This is quickly dropped and you become pretty powerful, but you still need to keep an eye on ammo.
- Upgrading sprint is pretty important. The last level of it, though, maybe not so much.
- I'd recommend upgrading the amount of agony bolt ammo you can carry.
- Feel free to use health boosts whenever you are running a little low - there's never a point in the game that I've found where your health is restored, so it's not like you're 'wasting' them.
- Enemies don't set off motion traps, which is bullshit.
- Run from bosses unless you're forced to kill them. Always run from the guy in the hoodie.
- If you have a few matches, knocking enemies down and burning them while they're still on the floor can save you a lot of ammo. This can take the form of a precise shot to a leg, or simply shooting in their general direction with the shotgun (bonus if their head explodes from it instead).
- The story is nonsense, I wouldn't try to follow it that closely.
- Melee is useless.
- Always be collecting brain juice. Look in every nook and cranny, check if there's a bubbling pile of it left behind from enemies and bosses.
- Also look for keys, which are used to unlock body cabinets in the morgue for sweet prizes. Keys are sometimes out in the open, but most of the time they'll be hidden in little statues of...goddesses? Angels? No idea. Little gray statues about the size of your calf that need to be broken.
- Melee attacks can be used to break boxes and vases and poo poo, which is where goodies hide. If you're holding something throwable, like a bottle, use the triangle or Y button to attack without using the item in your hand (no idea what it is on the PC).

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 15, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything for Hyrule Warriors? The thread is very, very confusing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Morpheus posted:

- The game starts out pretty stealthy, and you'll need to be stealthy to survive. This is quickly dropped and you become pretty powerful, but you still need to keep an eye on ammo.
- Upgrading sprint is pretty important. The last level of it, though, maybe not so much.
- I'd recommend upgrading the amount of agony bolt ammo you can carry.
- Feel free to use health boosts whenever you are running a little low - there's never a point in the game that I've found where your health is restored, so it's not like you're 'wasting' them.
- Enemies don't set off motion traps, which is bullshit.
- Run from bosses unless you're forced to kill them. Always run from the guy in the hoodie.
- If you have a few matches, knocking enemies down and burning them while they're still on the floor can save you a lot of ammo. This can take the form of a precise shot to a leg, or simply shooting in their general direction with the shotgun (bonus if their head explodes from it instead).
- The story is nonsense, I wouldn't try to follow it that closely.
- Melee is useless.
- Always be collecting brain juice. Look in every nook and cranny, check if there's a bubbling pile of it left behind from enemies and bosses.
- Also look for keys, which are used to unlock body cabinets in the morgue for sweet prizes. Keys are sometimes out in the open, but most of the time they'll be hidden in little statues of...goddesses? Angels? No idea. Little gray statues about the size of your calf that need to be broken.
- Melee attacks can be used to break boxes and vases and poo poo, which is where goodies hide. If you're holding something throwable, like a bottle, use the triangle or Y button to attack without using the item in your hand (no idea what it is on the PC).

Also you have the ability to use your stealth kill from the front if you hit an enemy in the face with a throwable item (bottle,brick,ect) then quickly run up and press A (or whatever button is normally your stealth attack) which is useful for saving ammo and honestly is the only use i can see for some of the throwable items even being in certain areas (the game is more like the The Last of Us or Uncharted where you usually aren't expected to stealth kill everybody in a given area, or it's impossible after a certain point)

PJOmega posted:

Some general advice is that you don't have to run for a few seconds to get up to sprinting speed, simply dodge once in the direction you want to move and you'll automatically be sprinting when it's done.

Don't expect your allies to really be able to do anything on their own unless you have high morale which is a mechanic that is never really fully explained. But it essentially boils down to every time you hit a certain number of KO's, one of your allies will comment on it and everybody will get a bit of a boost to morale which i believe it maxes out at 1000 something? There are also times during the missions where events that happen will cause morale on both sides to go up and down, just be careful of high moral enemies as they hit like a truck and can take more damage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PJOmega posted:

Have you played Dynasty Warriors / Musou games before?

Learn your combo attacks (triangle, square triangle, square square triangle, square square square triangle, etc.) and beat up dudes.

When an objective pops up on your map, prioritize that above EVERYTHING else. Don't waste time killing little dudes if there's something to do, do that first. There will always be more dudes to kill. Kill captains and guard outpost dudes in order to cut off enemy reinforcements.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PJOmega posted:

On the adventure mode map, the A-rank requirements are completion in less than 15 minutes, getting at least 1200 kills, and taking less than 4 hearts worth of damage.

Elemental defense badges are important, especially for elements that match a character's weapon types.

When a person or a fort does a "we're in trouble" announcement, they're not immediately in trouble. Alerts will generally start triggering when things are at half-health.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anything I should know as I give Age of Wonders III a try? I've read through some of the thread here, which seems great and full of information, but a little overwhelming. I've got the message that I shouldn't turtle, but I'm wondering what else should I be keeping in mind as I start on the initial campaign? Either nuts and bolts mechanical stuff or high level strategic stuff -- and in particular, are there any bad habits from Heroes of Might and Magic that I should attempt to unlearn as I play this game?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
e: Wrong thread

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

blackguy32 posted:

Anything for the evil within?

Upgrading the crit chance for your weapons is a very, very good idea. It sounds bad at the start, but a 50/50 chance of instakilling an enemy on a headshot with the pistol when upgraded? That adds up fast. Don't be surprised if you find yourself turning down pistol ammo on a regular basis after a while.

By the same token, upgrading the regular harpoons for the crossbow also works out well, since ammo for it is common, and at max level, they gain a fire effect, which can one-shot enemies and kill others surrounding them to boot.

Don't bother upgrading melee at all. At best, you'll knock back an enemy, even upgraded. At worst, game over.

Be prepared to redo large sections of the game. You are fragile and squishy and will die a lot. Checkpoints tend to be far and few between. The sooner you learn to accept this, the better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anything I should know as I give Age of Wonders III a try? I've read through some of the thread here, which seems great and full of information, but a little overwhelming. I've got the message that I shouldn't turtle, but I'm wondering what else should I be keeping in mind as I start on the initial campaign? Either nuts and bolts mechanical stuff or high level strategic stuff -- and in particular, are there any bad habits from Heroes of Might and Magic that I should attempt to unlearn as I play this game?

I hopped right in blind as a HOMM fan and took to it like a fish to water.

The only real thing that kinda caught me is you shouldn't treat tiers as strict power levels like in HOMM where a T2 is almost always stronger than a T1. In AoW3 some races have some really really powerful middle tiers. Your units are partially determined by your race and partially by your class, so you can kinda customize it a bit.

Conquer a bunch of stuff and grow up big. Plays a ton like HOMM. Playing one game is gonna take you such a long time that by the end of it you'll know what you're doing. You'll probably make some mistakes in your first game but you'll learn.

Oh, pretty key is that battles work kinda more like Civ or Total War than HOMM; if you have two units sitting on the hexes next to your base, and your base gets sieged, you can bring all three armies to bear in the defense of your city. (IIRC) so you can do some huge army joint-attacks like that, or set up huge defenses. Make SURE you know you're ready for it before you siege another enemy's capital that has serious defenses. Small sieges aren't bad but fully upgraded castles can be really nasty to take.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Zaphod42 posted:

I hopped right in blind as a HOMM fan and took to it like a fish to water.

The only real thing that kinda caught me is you shouldn't treat tiers as strict power levels like in HOMM where a T2 is almost always stronger than a T1. In AoW3 some races have some really really powerful middle tiers. Your units are partially determined by your race and partially by your class, so you can kinda customize it a bit.

Conquer a bunch of stuff and grow up big. Plays a ton like HOMM. Playing one game is gonna take you such a long time that by the end of it you'll know what you're doing. You'll probably make some mistakes in your first game but you'll learn.

Oh, pretty key is that battles work kinda more like Civ or Total War than HOMM; if you have two units sitting on the hexes next to your base, and your base gets sieged, you can bring all three armies to bear in the defense of your city. (IIRC) so you can do some huge army joint-attacks like that, or set up huge defenses. Make SURE you know you're ready for it before you siege another enemy's capital that has serious defenses. Small sieges aren't bad but fully upgraded castles can be really nasty to take.
I like that until you got to the last paragraph (even though you said "AoW3") I was like "yeah, this IS good King's Bounty: The Legend advice."

"Wait, your ... base? Siege? ... ohhhh"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anything I should know for The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing I?

The game is going to drown you in gold, the rare drop rate explodes when you get near the Palace of the Machines, and you can port your character to Van Helsing 2 once it hits level 30.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
I haven't played MGS1 in over 12 years. I'm about to play Twin Snakes on the gamecube. Anything I should know?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Wegee posted:

I haven't played MGS1 in over 12 years. I'm about to play Twin Snakes on the gamecube. Anything I should know?

The dog tags don't unlock poo poo, don't bother. Also, the cutscenes are more ridiculous then normal but they're awesome so just roll with it.

Also, where did you find a copy of Twin Snakes? I can't find it anywhere where it isn't insanely priced.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Wegee posted:

There is a section near the end of the game where you have to something with a card. There is a section that you can drop down to that allows you to skip backtracking and do it in the same room.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Does Twin Snakes prompt you to save before the torture scene? Because you should definitely save after beating Sniper Wolf the first time.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Anything for Luigi's Mansion? GameCube version

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Wegee posted:

There's a part where the game forces you to go all the way back to the armory to get a sniper rifle. Save yourself 20 minutes of pointless backtracking by just looking around the offices prior to the Psycho Mantis boss fight and you'll find a tranquilizer sniper rifle that will do the trick.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TheHoosier posted:

Press A to Mario

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anything for How to Survive?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, I was weak during the sale.

Anything for 7 Days to Die or Binding of Isaac: Rebirth? (I've played the first BoI to death, if it matters.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Anything for 7 Days to Die

Sleeping bags set your respawn point when you die. You make them from cloth fragments, and you get cloth fragments by breaking down things like beds, sofas, or tents, or making them from cotton.

Crossbows are pretty much god tier early on, and can be crafted with sticks and plant fibers. Always search bird nests for feathers for arrows.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for THE BALL?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Back on 7 Days to Die, can someone break down the basics of the stealth mechanics for me? The Skyrim stealth logo is fitting, because right now, I feel like whether I'm spotted or not and whether I lose them or not is completely arbitrary.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TheHoosier posted:

Make sure your sound system has a good subwoofer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheHoosier posted:

There's a big-rear end flower in the side yard, just outside the kitchen. Water it periodically (I THINK the intervals are the Boss Ghosts) with a Water Elemental for increasingly-larger amounts of cash.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

There is a section near the end of the game where you have to something with a card. There is a section that you can drop down to that allows you to skip backtracking and do it in the same room.

To elaborate on this even further: Ine the same room as Metal Gear REX on the top level on REX's right. If you hang off the ledge you should see an isolated ledge Tricky to pull off but worth it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just started playing Dishonored for the first time.

Given that I usually don't play games more than once, is it worth doing a non-lethal run or am I just condemning myself to a less fun version of the game?

Also, I have the PC version, but playing with a controller. Is KB/M a signicantly better experience?

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Given that I usually don't play games more than once, is it worth doing a non-lethal run or am I just condemning myself to a less fun version of the game?

Also, I have the PC version, but playing with a controller. Is KB/M a signicantly better experience?

Going totally non-lethal means you can't use about 3/4 of your gadgets/powers and only gets you an achievement. If you're only going to play it once I'd definitely recommend just using whatever you feel like, since freedom of approach is one of the best things about Dishonored.

The speed/precision of a mouse will probably allow to do more fancy blinks than you could do with a controller, but if you're happier using a controller it's not going to be a big deal.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Dishonored is most fun when you try for non-lethal but don't revert when you inevitably cock it up, since there are so many combat options.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

IIRC, there's a 'High Chaos' and a 'Low Chaos' ending. You don't have to go 100% nonlethal. Also, there's always a nonlethal way to deal with the mission target, although it's often more difficult.

I did fine on mouse+keyboard.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

If you're going to play it twice at all, do a non-lethal low chaos run first; it makes the changes for going high chaos a lot more distinct, and a high chaos run goes way faster anyway. Please note that low chaos does not mean non-lethal, it just means you aren't killing everything.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gynovore posted:

IIRC, there's a 'High Chaos' and a 'Low Chaos' ending. You don't have to go 100% nonlethal. Also, there's always a nonlethal way to deal with the mission target, although it's often more difficult.

Some of the non-lethal kills for targets are a lot more satisfying though - the game loves its poetic justice - so I'd at least try and go for those.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Tell me stuff about Omerta in a way that doesn't make me feel like I just wasted $5.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

On the no-kill run thing: it is entirely possible to accidentally murder someone without your knowledge (fell off a ledge, drowned, hit by a car while knocked out, devoured by a passing gang of rats, etc.) and it will neglect to tell you until the end of the mission. If you don't mind copious savescumming, it's possible and god knows I tried, but eventually you'll just want to embrace your role as an assassin and do some murders.

If you limit yourself to accidental deaths/chokeholds/tranq dart, then it's pretty easy to get the Low Chaos ending.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Anything on Elite: Dangerous or should I look for the main thread?

Playing with a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

juliuspringle posted:

Tell me stuff about Omerta in a way that doesn't make me feel like I just wasted $5.

I'm sorry.