Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Tenchi Muyo

Now I'm not the most educated in Apocalypse World, but wouldn't having a sex move that just allows other players sex moves to function in a multi-partner situation be just fine by itself? I mean sure you have to avoid the battle babe but it's narratively concise and doesn't require a roll.

That'd be more of a system issue rather than anything a single move could/should solve. The thing is that AW assumes it's always between two people and so the moves are usually worded that way, which makes figuring out what happens in a situation like the Spectacle's a bit weird. It wouldn't take a genius to work out a method to fix it - hell, prioritise PCs over NPCs, pick who you have the highest Hx with. Battlebabe cancels moves aimed at her and not others. I think that'd work fine in most situations. I'm annoyed by how shallow and clumsy this move is, not the idea of multiple partners in AW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

inklesspen posted:

Tenchi Muyo, the show with a million remakes/spinoffs.

Also tree starships are the best thing ever, so there.

It's a pretty goddamn great idea that should show up more in fantasy sci-fi settings.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Kurieg posted:

Now I'm not the most educated in Apocalypse World, but wouldn't having a sex move that just allows other players sex moves to function in a multi-partner situation be just fine by itself? I mean sure you have to avoid the battle babe but it's narratively concise and doesn't require a roll.
Considering that the Battlebabe is the cool sexy badass who seizes protagonism by their very nature, the idea of the No-Battlebabes-Allowed Post-Apoc Sex Club is kinda funny.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

inklesspen posted:

If I ran Tenchi Muyo, it would just be psychic tree space opera.

I like that idea. Also the idea that spaceships can transform into humanoid-scale things (Ryo-Oki I think?) seems like a good fit for space murderhobos. Now you don't have to steal your spaceship back at the end of each session.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

Considering that the Battlebabe is the cool sexy badass who seizes protagonism by their very nature, the idea of the No-Battlebabes-Allowed Post-Apoc Sex Club is kinda funny.

I spent about an hour this morning thinking "wow, gladiator and battlebabe are real departures from teenage monsters, I wonder how this skin book even went over" before realizing that it's just a different -world game. I haven't read any of them so they bleed together real easy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

theironjef posted:

I spent about an hour this morning thinking "wow, gladiator and battlebabe are real departures from teenage monsters, I wonder how this skin book even went over" before realizing that it's just a different -world game. I haven't read any of them so they bleed together real easy.
It's also from the original -world game.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

theironjef posted:

We read Maid. We're joined by a guest podcaster who helps us process exactly how horrible this all really is.

Long live Dolph Gundam, infamous protagonist from WTF, D&D?!'s Maid playthrough!

http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/maid-gross-lolita/1/

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

Long live Dolph Gundam, infamous protagonist from WTF, D&D?!'s Maid playthrough!

Yeah, their review is even less interested in the source material than ours is. Like just aggressively. Like they read the first 5 pages and said "gently caress this we're funny without this poo poo." Which is true, they are. For reals I can't even read the Street Fighter reviews at work, I start cry-laughing everytime.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 19, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I just really want to know who came up with the name "Eric The Red So Fine".

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Deleter posted:

Moves:
So, the Spectacle's main gimmick is they have a big arena they perform in, and a crowd of fans. These fans have a bunch of tags that represent their surplus, for what they do when things are going well, and their wants, which kick in when things go bad. This ties into the first move, Showman, where you roll +Hot at the end of a performance. If you hit, their surplus kicks in, but also a want. If you fail, all of their wants kick in.

The main problem with this move is that your fans have like a billion tags. They can have around 3-4 surplus and wants, and ALL of these trigger depending on the roll. How the gently caress do you resolve that narratively? If your fans have the wants savagery, anxiety and judgment, their entire world breaks down, they begin acting paranoid and hoarding poo poo and they blame you for it. All because you messed up a gladiator performance. That's some serious poo poo and it doesn't match up with what the Spectacle's actually doing. You could seriously divert a story with a bad roll for no real reason. There's also a tag that affects your barter, which means you can generate cash pretty easily.

Maybe it's like when a sports team loses and their fans flip out and riot. Or when they win and the fans also riot :v:

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Maid is pretty creepy sometimes, but I have to say, the mashup I played in last year of Maid with Kobolds Ate My Baby was pretty hilarious. The plot is, a bunch of Kobolds impersonate maids to steal the Master's platter of endless food.
This was streamed live for charity, and this fanart was draw of my character making deals with two separate cursed artifacts:

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but did you guys address the Nun-Approved File?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The Crocodile is almost certainly a reference to Pochi from He Is My Master, a gag/fanservice comic/cartoon about maids. In fact, that comic is probably one of the big inspirations for this thing.
I got 2-3 episodes into that, thinking "it's GAINAX, I know what I'm getting into, it's gotta be good!" gently caress no. Just creepy and horrible, like someone thought Hayate the Combat Butler or Maid Guy needed to be less funny and more catered towards pedophiles.

LuiCypher posted:

Don't forget the last time someone did a "Fatal & Friends" of MAID, where the random character creation came up "Niko Bellic" and "Sebastian from Black Butler".

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

AmiYumi posted:

Don't forget the last time someone did a "Fatal & Friends" of MAID, where the random character creation came up "Niko Bellic" and "Sebastian from Black Butler".

quote:

Our Stress Explosion, what we do when we crack under pressure, comes up 24, for Street Racing.

I got to say that's the most hilarious thing imaginable. Master spurned your advances one time too many? Time to flip out and go Initial D for a few, uh, episodes I guess. Now, don't get me wrong, it sounds like this thing has the potential to be skeevy as poo poo, but I really have to admire how nuts the characters can get by the sound of it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

AmiYumi posted:

I got 2-3 episodes into that, thinking "it's GAINAX, I know what I'm getting into, it's gotta be good!" gently caress no. Just creepy and horrible, like someone thought Hayate the Combat Butler or Maid Guy needed to be less funny and more catered towards pedophiles.

There's your problem, GAINAX has some well-loved series in a sea of awful poo poo, and lot of the good staff left.

Maid is - there's a lot of skeevy poo poo in the examples, but the difference between it and say Black Tokyo is that you can strip out the skeevy elements from Maid and still get a goofy rules-light competitive game based on exploiting quirks.

strip the creep from Black Tokyo - what is there left? the bare bones of a d20 system?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Robindaybird posted:

strip the creep from Black Tokyo - what is there left? the bare bones of a d20 system?

Ya ain't got poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
That is James Desborough in a nutshell, though. If you take away the controversial things he's done in his games and online, he's just a D20 shovelware hack who hasn't done anything noteworthy after the handful of higher-profile titles he worked on early in his career.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ZeeToo posted:

Ya ain't got poo poo.

That goes without saying considering one of the feats involved making GBS threads out a suit of scat armor.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

That is James Desborough in a nutshell, though. If you take away the controversial things he's done in his games and online, he's just a D20 shovelware hack who hasn't done anything noteworthy after the handful of higher-profile titles he worked on early in his career.

I regret to inform you that Black Tokyo is the (presumably one-hand-only) "work" of Chris Field, not Desby.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Kurieg posted:

That goes without saying considering one of the feats involved making GBS threads out a suit of scat armor.

:thejoke:

Yeah, that feat was memorable in the "why did you think this was worth writing down and sharing?" sense.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
You mentioned the V-merang or something in the Maid review and thought Kamen Rider. You may well be right about that being the original source, but my first thought was:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

You mentioned the V-merang or something in the Maid review and thought Kamen Rider. You may well be right about that being the original source, but my first thought was:

The Greenmerang, as it's called in the book. I'll be damned if I can figure out which Sentai character had that first, but I'm sure one of them inspired Viewtiful Joe.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

theironjef posted:

The Greenmerang, as it's called in the book. I'll be damned if I can figure out which Sentai character had that first, but I'm sure one of them inspired Viewtiful Joe.

The "V-shaped thing on your head" is possibly Kamen Rider like you said, but the name itself sound to me like it refers to Himitsu Sentai Goranger (the first super sentai show), where one of the characters (the green ranger, duh) literally has a weapon called exactly that, except in Japanese.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The "V-shaped thing on your head" is possibly Kamen Rider like you said, but the name itself sound to me like it refers to Himitsu Sentai Goranger (the first super sentai show), where one of the characters (the green ranger, duh) literally has a weapon called exactly that, except in Japanese.

Oh man the blue one of that team looks like Cobra Commander and that's awesome.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The other thing is that the Battlebabe can be reskinned very easily into something like a Post-Apocalypse Connery-era James Bond, where you could be clad in nothing but a speedo and your obnoxious chest hair zapping bandits with your Magnums and your unbridled machismo. There's nothing in the playbook that states the 'babe has to be female.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The true archetype of the Battlebabe is Zardoz, actually.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The other thing is that the Battlebabe can be reskinned very easily into something like a Post-Apocalypse Connery-era James Bond, where you could be clad in nothing but a speedo and your obnoxious chest hair zapping bandits with your Magnums and your unbridled machismo. There's nothing in the playbook that states the 'babe has to be female.

If you don't play the battlebabe as a smouldering sexy male that defeats enemies with a glance and a single bullet, I send you a dissapointed letter explaing your poor RPG choices.

I'm not joking. :argh:

Mr. Maltose posted:

The true archetype of the Battlebabe is Zardoz, actually.

THE DICE IS GOOD

THE ABILITY SCORE IS EVIL

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Deleter posted:

THE DICE IS GOOD

THE ABILITY SCORE IS EVIL

What we really need is a die roller in the shape of Zardoz's head that just vomits up a pile of D6s

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

What we really need is a die roller in the shape of Zardoz's head that just vomits up a pile of D6s

You design it, I'll find a 3D printer.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kavak posted:

You design it, I'll find a 3D printer.

I've got one and this sounds like the perfect dice bag substitute to make.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I've got one and this sounds like the perfect dice bag substitute to make.

Add a button to press that makes it spout the quotes and I'd buy it day one.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

The Deleter posted:

If you don't play the battlebabe as a smouldering sexy male that defeats enemies with a glance and a single bullet, I send you a disappointed letter explaing your poor RPG choices.

Oh, good, I'm not going to get a disappointed letter from The Deleter, then!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Oh, good, I'm not going to get a disappointed letter from The Deleter, then!

You're safe as houses, mate. :v:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Halloween Jack posted:

Black Tokyo isn't Desborough, it's Chris Fields.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

The Deleter posted:

If you don't play the battlebabe as a smouldering sexy male that defeats enemies with a glance and a single bullet, I send you a dissapointed letter explaing your poor RPG choices.

First time I played Apocalypse World, the Battlebabe was just a guy who'd seen tapes of old James Bond movies and based his life around that. He was on an eternal quest to find an Aston Martin and spent all of his barter having all the dirt and blood cleaned off his tuxedo every couple of days. I quite enjoyed that character.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Doodmons posted:

First time I played Apocalypse World, the Battlebabe was just a guy who'd seen tapes of old James Bond movies and based his life around that. He was on an eternal quest to find an Aston Martin and spent all of his barter having all the dirt and blood cleaned off his tuxedo every couple of days. I quite enjoyed that character.

I totally forgot that "formal wear" was actually part of their kit until I reread the playbook yesterday.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

The Deleter posted:

Ours was essentially Oscar Wilde with a triple-barreled shotgun.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
In spite of owning it and being a huge fan of Dungeo World and Monsterhearts I've never actually played Apocalypse World, the game which spawned those two. All this talk of Battlebabes is making me want to play it.

Just because of that I started looking at the Apocalypse World playbooks again and something hit me that I hadn't quite realize the first time around: the playbooks are very asymmetrical in terms of how much power they have in setting, but that doesn't translate to disparity in mechanical effectiveness. What I mean is that the Hardholder is literally a guy with a fortress and the Chopper has a gang of bikers, but you could still easily conceive of a situation where a single Gunlugger poses a potential threat to their safety. As some people have pointed out, it actually leads to a very TV-showlike setup. It's great design

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Baker once explained it in terms of a graph, with an x-axis and a y-axis. The x is fictional effectiveness--the Hardholder and Hocus define a lot of the game just by being there with their stuff. The y is mechanical effectivess--the Gunlugger and the Driver have a lot of power to do what they say they're going to do. (He also talked about a z-axis, a third dimension to the graph, which is basically how the Battlebabe has the ability to make the game about themself--seizing protagonism.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Halloween Jack posted:

Baker once explained it in terms of a graph, with an x-axis and a y-axis. The x is fictional effectiveness--the Hardholder and Hocus define a lot of the game just by being there with their stuff. The y is mechanical effectivess--the Gunlugger and the Driver have a lot of power to do what they say they're going to do. (He also talked about a z-axis, a third dimension to the graph, which is basically how the Battlebabe has the ability to make the game about themself--seizing protagonism.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjHORRHXtyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ratpick posted:

In spite of owning it and being a huge fan of Dungeo World and Monsterhearts I've never actually played Apocalypse World, the game which spawned those two. All this talk of Battlebabes is making me want to play it.

Just because of that I started looking at the Apocalypse World playbooks again and something hit me that I hadn't quite realize the first time around: the playbooks are very asymmetrical in terms of how much power they have in setting, but that doesn't translate to disparity in mechanical effectiveness. What I mean is that the Hardholder is literally a guy with a fortress and the Chopper has a gang of bikers, but you could still easily conceive of a situation where a single Gunlugger poses a potential threat to their safety. As some people have pointed out, it actually leads to a very TV-showlike setup. It's great design

One of my friends calls it the 'mo people, 'mo problems scale. That the bigger your footprint in the game is the more the game comes up with problems for you to solve and the less able to solve the in-game problems on your own you are.

• Locked thread