Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw

Best game.

Literally the only thing dragging it down is that you can miss out on the :krad: lyrical version of Sundowner's boss theme if you play it too well. That and the one cutscene where they reintrodued Sunny from MGS4 was a little too long and boring, and even then they had that weird security guard drooling over anime girls in the backgrounds for laughs so it wasn't all bad.

And also the PC version is like 24 gigs and most of those are uncompressed video files, but as far as Japanese PC game ports go it's still one of the better ones :japan:

No joke, I had no idea that you could even destroy Subdowner's shield panels. I hit them once and they exploded at me, so I figured I wasn't supposed to do that and that obviously I'm supposed to hit him from behind. So I did a small hop over his head, activated Ripper Mode and loving obliterated him. I was really disappointed in his boss and had no idea what the correct way was until Chip's LP.

I really really wish there was A) A boss rush mode and B) I could set their health to be quintupled so the fights last longer without also making them kill me in one hit and be hyper-aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

AH'M FUKKIN' INVINCIBLE!
Sundowner boss had some cool music but ended too fast, I never did figure out why his weapons you unlock were that good either, they always just felt a little too slow and I ended up sticking with either the Sai or the polearm. The polearm/L'Etranger was awesome.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Flipswitch posted:

The polearm/L'Etranger was awesome.

It certainly camus in handy

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

I think I found your problem bud

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It certainly camus in handy
Class. :golfclap:

To add to the thread, I recently booted up my PS3 to play some Vanquish and what drags it down for me is no PC port to play it on. :(

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Flipswitch posted:

Sundowner boss had some cool music but ended too fast, I never did figure out why his weapons you unlock were that good either

During the fight, Raiden outright calls them gimmicky bullshit that shouldn't be used in real combat.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wallriding in Distance loving sucks. It's super inconsistent. Having to rotate your car each jump is kinda dumb, but having to use the right stick to do it is awful because my right hand is already busy with jumping and boosting. Plus you have full rotation abilities with the right stick, which is great when I pitch forward rather than rolling sideways and end up bouncing off the loving wall I'm trying to jump to. Also, while you're on a wall the wall has its own gravity but when you're airborne you're subject to real deal gravity, which is great when you're riding upwards, try to jump to another wall, and end up plummeting downwards mid-jump because gently caress it's stupid as poo poo.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

YggiDee posted:

Does Revengeance have a "whiny baby" difficulty? The game looks awesome as all heck, but I understand it's by Platinum and I am laughably terrible at action games, or any games requiring reflexes. Or really most games.

There is, but Normal difficulty isn't actually all that bad. For me, at least, Revengeance is a lot more forgiving than, say, Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry or even its big sister Bayonetta.

Flipswitch posted:

To add to the thread, I recently booted up my PS3 to play some Vanquish and what drags it down for me is no PC port to play it on. :(

Seconded, buddy. It sucks that we'll probably never see Vanquish II: Revanquish either. :(

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WickedHate posted:

During the fight, Raiden outright calls them gimmicky bullshit that shouldn't be used in real combat.

I call bullshit on that, by the way. According to Colonel Campbell, "I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm, in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hiri-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!"

I mean, c'mon, Campbell's got his ducks in a row.

(I love Metal Gear dialogue.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WickedHate posted:

They have a high learning curve and ruin your combo score, but if you figure out how to exploit their crazy-long super armor and juggling capabilities they'll turn most enemies to mince. I mostly just used the sai, myself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Screaming Idiot posted:

I call bullshit on that, by the way. According to Colonel Campbell, "I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm, in flap-jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hiri-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!"

That actually wasn't Campbell, it was an AI masquerading as Campbell who had just been infected with a virus. So it makes perfect sense that it'd say weird stuff like that.
:goonsay:

Actual weird dialogue from a Metal Gear game: "So, if I ate these mushrooms, they'd recharge my batteries, right?"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

They have a high learning curve and ruin your combo score, but if you figure out how to exploit their crazy-long super armor and juggling capabilities they'll turn most enemies to mince. I mostly just used the sai, myself.

Using the pincer-blades more or less requires the use of blade canceling and other tricks to be viable. Although the slam attack from the air can be used pretty effectively even by scrubs since you're a little safer in the air against some or most attacks.

My problem with all the sub-weapons is first that they replace the heavy attacks with your sword, and there's no way I'm living without foot-stabbing :colbert:. And besides L'estranger they also never really fit in with Raiden's style. The spear seemed to be a logical extension Raiden's moveset, giving him a fair trade off of better crowd-control for less damage, plus you could do breakdancing attacks with it :allears:. But the sai didn't really have a moveset per se and seemed like it would have been better mapped to the button for grenades and rockets and same goes for pincer blades.

It felt like they designed all the bosses first and later in development decided it would be cool it Raiden got to use Mistral's spear. And when that worked out well decided to do the same with the other two bosses but either ran out of time or ideas to make them good.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flipswitch posted:

Sundowner boss had some cool music but ended too fast, I never did figure out why his weapons you unlock were that good either, they always just felt a little too slow and I ended up sticking with either the Sai or the polearm. The polearm/L'Etranger was awesome.

The pincer weapons are situational and pretty much require you to already know what a boss or enemy is going to do, but they can one shot most bosses and a lot of the bigger enemies like the G.R.A.D's.

Watch a speedrun of MGR sometime and you'll see how good the pincer's can be, the strats aren't even that hard to emulate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah seriously in the right hands, the pincer scissors can absolutely decimate some bosses, like Sam or Bladewolf, in literal seconds.

LoonShia posted:

That actually wasn't Campbell, it was an AI masquerading as Campbell who had just been infected with a virus. So it makes perfect sense that it'd say weird stuff like that.
:goonsay:

Actual weird dialogue from a Metal Gear game: "So, if I ate these mushrooms, they'd recharge my batteries, right?"

Not seein what's weird about that. :colbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ninjahedgehog posted:

There is, but Normal difficulty isn't actually all that bad. For me, at least, Revengeance is a lot more forgiving than, say, Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry or even its big sister Bayonetta.

Definitely. Unlike Devil May Cry there's no lives or continues system, when you die you can restart from the beginning of the encounter/QTE/boss phase with no penalty aside from the score you get at the end of the level. And since you can fully recover at just about any time by doing a particularly skillful execution it actively encourages fooling around and experimenting instead of turtling and nursing a health bar. And on top of that you can carry healing items that automatically revive you with full health.

If you play it on PC you get all the various DLC from the console versions for free so on top of all that you can buy an upgrade that lets you carry double the normal number of health kits; on normal mode this means that rather than die your health will fully recover automatically 10 times before you die for real so even the final boss isn't too bad.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

on normal mode this means that rather than die your health will fully recover automatically 10 times before you die for real so even the final boss isn't too bad.

Unless Sam pasted you and you enter the final area with no nanopaste at all, which is a very real possibility. It's the reason why my hard mode run has stalled out, I can't even get to Excelsus because I'm completely out of paste.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
People used to laugh at the kid who sat in the back of class eating paste. Then Desperado came.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Something about Rising never clicked for me. I can play DMC and Bayonetta but for some reason I never got good at rising. That's what's dragging the game down for me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Okay, the thing that's dragging down Revengeance right now is that it's 23 goddamn gigabytes, my fragile Canadian ISP can't deal with it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Morpheus posted:

I really enjoy the Monster Hunter series, but holy gently caress the game is probably the worst game to try to get into, and Capcom is simply adamant about not providing any sort of tutorial beyond "Hurrr here's how to swing a sword good luck!" The only reason I got into it was because my roommate basically coached me in how the whole shoddy mess works.
I have no idea how Monster Hunter has become as successful as it has, I played Freedom Unite and I think every single mechanic in the game is unbelievably clunky and awkward and there's a ton of tedious grognard mechanics.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I started playing Psychonauts again yesterday, I think I stopped playing it for awhile because I had to collect everything before going past a "point of no return thing".
It literally took forever to find some of those things because they are goddamn invisible sometimes. There was a few in Black Velvetopia that had me stumped for an hour.

So yeah, I got everything now - and finally made it to the meat circus. I really don't like Ollie.

edit:
Final boss kinda sucked too.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Dec 20, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Okay, the thing that's dragging down Revengeance right now is that it's 23 goddamn gigabytes, my fragile Canadian ISP can't deal with it.

I managed to download 19 gigs at work yesterday before I left for the Christmas break! My home broadband can only hit about 300 kb/s, so it's taking a while to finish.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Bayonetta 2 is a wonderful game. It's technical, it's stylish and fun.

HOWEVER, for some reason vast majority of the enemies are immune to the effects of wicked weaves and launchers unlike in B1, meaning Bayonetta's air game is severely limited. It's painful because you have all the same tools as in the last game, but they are not as useful.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Off-topic but somewhat related. I'm going to start Revengeance soon, is it best with a controller for the PC or mouse and keys? Also what's the best way to use DS3 with steam?

For content: In Final Fantasy X when you're unlocking an ability on the Sphere Grid it doesn't tell you what that ability it'll do. Or if it does then it's awkward to find and equally annoying.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Off-topic but somewhat related. I'm going to start Revengeance soon, is it best with a controller for the PC or mouse and keys? Also what's the best way to use DS3 with steam?

The controller is the best option, in my opinion. Download the Xbox 360 controller drivers and Better DS3 and it should work.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Controllers all the way all day every day. One of the core mechanics involves flicking the left analog stick towards enemies to block and I don't know how well that would work on a keyboard.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've always leaned towards mouse and keyboard as the best controller ever, but investing in a 360 controller for my PC was a pretty great decision. So many games now are designed with it in mind, and you just plug it in and go. I was confused in a Metal Gear Rising video linked earlier when mouse button prompts popped up. Not sure why you would do that to yourself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The controller is the best option, in my opinion. Download the Xbox 360 controller drivers and Better DS3 and it should work.

BetterDS3 requires you to first install the PS3 controller drivers from MotionInJoy, which is a fairly shady program with very wonky drivers people have reported having bad experiences with. Rather than that, I'd recommend just downloading the aforementioned Xbox 360 controller drivers and the Scarlet Crush XInput drivers.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I got the new SSX and I just hate the bottomless pits. I don't see the point of "dying" in those type of games

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Grimlook posted:

I got the new SSX and I just hate the bottomless pits. I don't see the point of "dying" in those type of games

I guess the risk of death is supposed to make it all more "extreme?" It's also hilarious to watch your little guy fall into an abyss, but maybe I'm just a monster.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Professor Wayne posted:

I've always leaned towards mouse and keyboard as the best controller ever, but investing in a 360 controller for my PC was a pretty great decision. So many games now are designed with it in mind, and you just plug it in and go. I was confused in a Metal Gear Rising video linked earlier when mouse button prompts popped up. Not sure why you would do that to yourself.

I'll always prefer M+KB for shooters, but for action games like MGR the analog sticks are so much better it's really no contest.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I assumed it tied into the Deadly Descents thing it had going.
I quite liked the SSX reboot apart from the lack of a city track.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Professor Wayne posted:

M+K is fantastic when you need precision in camera control or aiming, but a controller is much better when you need to have precise control over direction and/or need more than 4 buttons at a time.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ChaosArgate posted:

Ehhhhh there are some minor things like the fact that the mouse cursor always comes back for cutscenes or the fact that the game itself renders at no better than 720p and just upscales to go any higher. Aside from that though, it's a great port and goddammit people who don't have it go buy it right now it's like $6.

Discovered the upscale issue when I tried playing Revengeance on my TV and performance went to poo poo.

For what it's worth I found this thread on the Steam community page and downloaded this guy's homegrown fix, had it for a while and nobody's stolen my identity and my hard drive hasn't melted so it seems fairly legit:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/235460/discussions/0/630802344702757872/

Go nuts guys, the PC port of MGR is fukkin sweet on a 52" screen

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish Skyrim had at least one "OK, go faff around for a while" bit to its main quest.

I get it, the game is designed that you can go do whatever, whenever, but I kinda try to play characters through the prism of someone actually in the world (not sure if that's actually role-playing or not), and every part of the Main Quest has a "dude, get here NOW cuz dragons are killing poo poo left and right" hook to it.

In contrast, Morrowind had the Main Quest guy tell you to go out and do other poo poo with a story purpose ("Dude, you just got off the boat here, go do something else so people don't think you're an Imperial plant"), which I dug.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Flying Cheep-Cheeps in pretty much every Mario platformer. I never played much of the 2D games as a kid, so maybe I'm just bad but no matter what game they are, the original, or NSMBU. They fly out of nowhere and kill me. It's not so bad when you can breeze through the level fast, but if you're trying to grab a star coin or a powerup then they come out and kill me before I even notice.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Austrian mook posted:

Flying Cheep-Cheeps in pretty much every Mario platformer. I never played much of the 2D games as a kid, so maybe I'm just bad but no matter what game they are, the original, or NSMBU. They fly out of nowhere and kill me. It's not so bad when you can breeze through the level fast, but if you're trying to grab a star coin or a powerup then they come out and kill me before I even notice.

Big Bertha scared the poo poo out of me when I was little.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

scarycave posted:

Big Bertha scared the poo poo out of me when I was little.

Same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPiHmqeAe_Q&t=86s

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Grimlook posted:

This right here is the reason SSX3 for PS2 is still the best snowboarding game ever designed by human hands. They came so close to getting it right again, too :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Baldur's Gate 2 is still a fantastic game, but playing through the Enhanced Edition reminded me of some of its annoying parts. Every time a party member has a personal quest, they get real drat insistent about it after a very short time. Actually, it's probably a day or two in-game but since resting is your best bet for free healing, that goes by quick. Yeah, Nalia, I know your castle is being attacked by trolls, but right now our faces are being attacked by very angry guys with swords! Oh, what's that Aerie? Your uncle needs help at the circus? Well, Minsc needs help holding his blood inside his body, so your uncle can wait a few hours.

Also, the game really could use a few more decent Rogue companions. Yoshimo and Imoen seem to be the only two who can pick a lock worth a poo poo, and both of them get sidelined by plot stuff for significant portions of the game.

Edit: also the Enhanced Edition still has Anomen in the game, so it's not very Enhanced imho

Crowetron has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Dec 22, 2014