Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Note on racing I learned last night that everyone should probably know about : The Proximity mines totally break GTA races.

Once a car gets a few seconds lead, the leader can toss prox mines on the track at decent locations like inside corners and just gently caress the entire rest of the field straight into a hole in the ground, and there is basically nothing that they can do about it.

On the upside, this will make Horse Factory a hundred times worse next time we play it, that choke point is going to be like AIDS wrapped in Cancer coated in Chlorine Triflouride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Someone please tell me that the Stock Car Racing exclusive isn't single player only!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

BitBasher posted:

I'm going to ask this without honestly trying to sound like too much of a douchebag... Would you prefer I not join in races with you guys? If you want to just race each other I wouldn't butthurt at all if you asked me to gently caress off because I race a lot. I'm not sure I wasn't hurting the enjoyment of races for you guys.

I don't mind at all, don't be ashamed for having some slick racing skills. I'm reaching for anything but last place since I am fully aware of how horrible my racing is, so you're not hurting my fun at all.
And good point about the proximity mines, they could really mess up a race but again, they might make for a really interesting one if the right person got creative in the map editor.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Someone please tell me that the Stock Car Racing exclusive isn't single player only!

Okay, I won't tell you! :v:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Crew challenges are back! There are a bunch for 250k listed under Playlists>Challenges.

Make sure you have 250k to spend, and run them alone. Find one that requires you finish Criminal Records - those are the best. There was one for a five lap CR race that had to be done in under 3:10.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kelly posted:

Crew challenges are back! There are a bunch for 250k listed under Playlists>Challenges.

Make sure you have 250k to spend, and run them alone. Find one that requires you finish Criminal Records - those are the best. There was one for a five lap CR race that had to be done in under 3:10.

What the gently caress. poo poo. I was just about the leave the house. Guess not.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Feenix posted:

What the gently caress. poo poo. I was just about the leave the house. Guess not.

I just did it a three times on the same character, so they must have removed the once-a-day limit.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Kelly posted:

I just did it a three times on the same character, so they must have removed the once-a-day limit.

In other words they screwed up, get it in while you can!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
There's one right now with a 6+ minute 5 lap Criminal Records

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Feenix posted:

I'd settle for just blasting radio even. Or tracks minus commercials.

For an odd reason I think non stop pop would have the same effect as "Ride of the Valkyries".

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm going to guess these crew challenges are PS4/Bone only?

BitBasher posted:

Note on racing I learned last night that everyone should probably know about : The Proximity mines totally break GTA races.

Once a car gets a few seconds lead, the leader can toss prox mines on the track at decent locations like inside corners and just gently caress the entire rest of the field straight into a hole in the ground, and there is basically nothing that they can do about it.

hahahah that's magnificent. lovely, but magnificent.

Also last night while I was waiting around for a special drop, I saw a little red circle with a 4 in it. I was like hmmm ... I'm in a Buzzard.

So yeah, four guys who were full red mental state in a single car on the highway up by the prison. Of course I went after them and got them with a (if I say so myself) very nice unguided missile shot. Whereupon I was immediately told I was a bad sport and my mental state was rising :jerkbag:

Is there any point where you can actually shoot someone who's got a full red mental state dot and NOT get penalized for it?

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 19, 2014

Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010

BitBasher posted:

I'm going to ask this without honestly trying to sound like too much of a douchebag... Would you prefer I not join in races with you guys? If you want to just race each other I wouldn't butthurt at all if you asked me to gently caress off because I race a lot. I'm not sure I wasn't hurting the enjoyment of races for you guys. I was considering dropping out in the middle of the playlist when I won a catch up on/slip stream on race by like 20 something seconds. I would understand if you guys thought I was making GBS threads on your fun or something, and everyone was really quiet.

No, hell no! The best way to get better at a given game is by playing against and with players that are better than you. I didn't have my "A" game last night and I don't think the results would have been any different if I did. I've thoroughly enjoyed the racing of the past week. Last night I came in second last overall but I had fastest lap on 2 of the races and I very nearly had you on that last or second last race. I'm sure some nerds would get a little pissy getting smoked by you every race but I don't think any of guys from last night would. They're a pretty chill bunch I've noticed. CashCamden had every right to lay right into me when I smoked him going into that one corner I thought was a jump ( I was loving baked) but he didn't. As far as it being quiet I can only speak for myself here but I can't chew bubble gum and walk at the same time let alone race and talk. When I'm racing, I need to focus. That and I'm not a real chatty person to begin with so I usually have my headset muted so no one has to listen to me breathe and of course when I do say something I forget to unmute my poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Someone (or many someones) are going to race a 250k Challenge like 30 times and this is why we can't have nice things.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'd have to say they can't be next level better than you. You need to learn how to maneuver and even with collision off it helps to watch how other people handle. Then again you can always get frustrated halfway through and stop racing. But do yourself a favor, spectate the rest of the race, don't just leave. If that is an option.

Also double tapping the E-brake is a godsend. It does something the equivalent of your car shifting down a gear and gives you a shitload of control with minimal impact to speed. It's the brake that's one of the R buttons. For me it's R1 but I have the shooting buttons swapped so I guess it's R2 for everyone else.

Personally love to race, it's just whenever I'm on I'm not exactly in the racing frame of mind typically.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 19, 2014

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NeoSeeker posted:

I'd have to say they can't be next level better than you. You need to learn how to maneuver and even with collision off it helps to watch how other people handle. Then again you can always get frustrated halfway through and stop racing.

But do yourself a favor, spectate the rest of the race, don't just leave. If that is an option.

Also double tapping the E-brake is a godsend. It does something the equivalent of your car shifting down a gear and gives you a shitload of control with minimal impact to speed. It's the brake that's one of the R buttons. For me it's R1 but I have the shooting buttons swapped so I guess it's R2 for everyone else.

R1 is the default on the current gen, X is default last gen. They can be swapped over for people like me who feel that letting go of the accelerator to brake is for people who aren't taking advantage of other road users and furniture to make turns successfully.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
They're gonna take my money away, aren't they?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Bobtista posted:

R1 is the default on the current gen, X is default last gen. They can be swapped over for people like me who feel that letting go of the accelerator to brake is for people who aren't taking advantage of other road users and furniture to make turns successfully.

Are you sure? I thought the X button and the R button brakes were separate? Like one is the handbrake while the other is the typical wheel pad brake.

All I know is one brake can really wreck your poo poo in this kind of situation and the other is much more loose and just gives you more control while slowing you down a tiny bit. It doesn't alter your course at all if you use it right.

Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

Also double tapping the E-brake is a godsend. It does something the equivalent of your car shifting down a gear and gives you a shitload of control with minimal impact to speed.

Personally love to race, it's just whenever I'm on I'm not exactly in the racing frame of mind typically.

I did not know this. The e-brake has always scared the poo poo out of me when racing. I use it, but not very often.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I apparently have been using a combo of two buttons controlling the handbrake and have never used the normal brakes (reverse).

So pump the handbrake a few times and if ever using it to drift use it liberally.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Feenix posted:

I feel like I've already flown under all the obvious bridges. (Down in the industrial/canal area) how many are they? Where are more?

check out this map for all of them:
http://www.powerpyx.com/Assets/Maps/GTA-V/grand-theft-auto-v-under-the-bridge-locations-map.jpg

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

BitBasher posted:

I'm going to ask this without honestly trying to sound like too much of a douchebag... Would you prefer I not join in races with you guys? If you want to just race each other I wouldn't butthurt at all if you asked me to gently caress off because I race a lot. I'm not sure I wasn't hurting the enjoyment of races for you guys. I was considering dropping out in the middle of the playlist when I won a catch up on/slip stream on race by like 20 something seconds. I would understand if you guys thought I was making GBS threads on your fun or something, and everyone was really quiet.

I have no problem at all and the races being ones I created I like to see them run by those who can drive them better than me. I think I could have given you a better race with the one that started at the observatory, but I missed two check points while looking at you through the rearview. The last one I just got sloppy and realized the one checkpoint in the garage is facing the wrong way completely. I'll have to figure out how to fix that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NeoSeeker posted:

Are you sure? I thought the X button and the R button brakes were separate? Like one is the handbrake while the other is the typical wheel pad brake.

All I know is one brake can really wreck your poo poo in this kind of situation and the other is much more loose and just gives you more control while slowing you down a tiny bit. It doesn't alter your course at all if you use it right.

Positive. Default on current gen was R1 for handbrake and X to duck down in your seat and I know this for certainty because I spent the whole of the first Franklin mission wondering what the gently caress had happened to my brakes until I found the menu option to swap them back.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hey thanks! :)

[edit]
4 is the limit on challenges per day.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Bobtista posted:

Positive. Default on current gen was R1 for handbrake and X to duck down in your seat and I know this for certainty because I spent the whole of the first Franklin mission wondering what the gently caress had happened to my brakes until I found the menu option to swap them back.

Duck down in your seat?

I'm looking at the controls right now. They're the same for alternate and standard. X button functionality remains the same. I'm guessing pressing X was simply for a contextual action. You use it to manipulate your phone in the car.

It's also the handbrake for both layouts.

So basically, never use the real brakes and if you are afraid of the handbrake take a nice car out to a landing strip and practice. It helped me shitloads. It also helps to do this in single player.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 19, 2014

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I am not joking when I say that my face hurt from laughing at that kid in the lobby earlier. I was all talked out when we started the races.

I also don't care about losing the races - I am in it for the fun. One thing I do enjoy about the goons who play GTA is that no one is uptight.

Feenix posted:

Hey thanks! :)

[edit]
4 is the limit on challenges per day.

This is what happened last time - it was 4/day for day or so, the 1/day then they were gone.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

NeoSeeker posted:

Duck down in your seat?

I'm looking at the controls right now. They're the same for alternate and standard. X button functionality remains the same. I'm guessing pressing X was simply for a contextual action. You use it to manipulate your phone in the car.

It's also the handbrake for both layouts.

So basically, never use the real brakes and if you are afraid of the handbrake take a nice car out to a landing strip and practice. It helped me shitloads. It also helps to do this in single player.

When I say X I'm talking about PS4. The default in car action for X is to duck down in your seat. You switch to alternate handbrake and that moves to R1.

If you are also using alternative drive by then R1 would be your trigger when aiming with L1, otherwise it's duck. Ducking is a new gen version only thing.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 19, 2014

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Kelly posted:

I also don't care about losing the races - I am in it for the fun. One thing I do enjoy about the goons who play GTA is that no one is uptight.

Except the ones that just randomly walk up to you and kill you.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

geeves posted:

Except the ones that just randomly walk up to you and kill you.

Yes, though I will give NachoAficionado a pass because I had a bounty one of the times. Maybe he's our "wild card" goon.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'd do those crew challenges but it takes forever to join a lobby, or re-join a lobby, like after you find out an invite was to a bad sports only match :argh:

And then the lobby you get is ungodly laggy.

(and I will check my audio, heard nothing in the party)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 19, 2014

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Kelly posted:

Yes, though I will give NachoAficionado a pass because I had a bounty one of the times. Maybe he's our "wild card" goon.

With bounties all bets are off, especially if they're shared after.. Except when we're trying to lure pubbies to us.

Trashing KingReid and Submariner (the worst marvel hero) was great.. Submariner was just getting more and more upset each time I sniped him. "Just leave me alone, god! I just want to get my car!"

GOt to jump on in a few to do those crew challenges that will pay for my 3rd property. Also, I bought and filled up on proximity bombs,,, they were instantly gone from my inventory,,, not that I used them, just never there.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

People get real mad if you hit them with a homing rocket I've found. Some dude blows past you in a super and he thinks he's far and away and -WOOSH- into the back and dude is furious.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Prokhor posted:

People get real mad if you hit them with a homing rocket I've found. Some dude blows past you in a super and he thinks he's far and away and -WOOSH- into the back and dude is furious.

This is why we need a PA system people can talk poo poo over.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Ain't feeling this combo, but the Gingerbread Man and helmet is more like it!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

geeves posted:

With bounties all bets are off, especially if they're shared after.. Except when we're trying to lure pubbies to us.

Trashing KingReid and Submariner (the worst marvel hero) was great.. Submariner was just getting more and more upset each time I sniped him. "Just leave me alone, god! I just want to get my car!"

GOt to jump on in a few to do those crew challenges that will pay for my 3rd property. Also, I bought and filled up on proximity bombs,,, they were instantly gone from my inventory,,, not that I used them, just never there.

Yeah, I have had my poo poo just disappear. Just did the crew challenges and got a quick 800,000. The only criminal records one I found only paid out 207,000 each time. Oh well, thats still quite a bit.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It's a steal. That much is worth around ten dollars with shark cards isn't it?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

NeoSeeker posted:

It's a steal. That much is worth around ten dollars with shark cards isn't it?

I believe so. Right now, its just money to blow, since I am content with my 1 apartment and 10 cars and the few Pegasus vehicles I have.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I must have saved hundreds by actually playing the game.

Make your money R*, just not my money.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I like making the citizens of LS kill each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2-0_kYihAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7EUQP82ki4

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

Is there any point where you can actually shoot someone who's got a full red mental state dot and NOT get penalized for it?

Almost assuredly the pilot was straight red but not everyone in the helicopter was, which is why you got a mental state bump. Counterpoint: Who gives a gently caress whether or not your mental state goes up or even cares what it is?

Thaxxas posted:

I very nearly had you on that last or second last race.
Oh hell, that race was incredibly tense. I was having so many problems catching you, you were staying just out of reach and drafting does dick with all the turns. I consider that one mostly luck.

NeoSeeker posted:

Counterargument: Basicaly never handbrake. The only time I ever handbrake is at hairpin corners. Instead use L2 to conventionally brake before the corner and lightly accelerate through the corner. Don't mash the throttle, give it like 25% throttle to make sure your car is slight accelerating instead of decelerating. This game (amazingly) models weight distribution and traction during weight shift, so lightly accelerating through a corner shifts the cars weight to the rear tires giving the them more traction and allowing you to corner faster because you won't fishtail as easily.

If you are braking instead of accelerating, then when you go around the same corner you are decelerating, the weight shifts to your front tires instead giving your rear tires less traction and making them far more likely to lose grip and go rear end out. Likewise if you aren't braking or accelerating and cruise through a corner hitting nothing, then your car is still decelerating because of engine braking and friction which is shifting weight forward again, taking weight off the rear tires and making you lose rear wheel traction. The handbrake binarily locks up the rear wheels loving your rear wheel traction. Except in very specific circumstances ALWAYS brake with L2.

All of this works in the game just like real life because it's a proper physics simulation on all 4 tires traction instead of faking it like The Crew. Amazingly, each car in GTA actually has functional gear ratios and a gearbox with a set number of speeds, a working throttle power band, and working differentials for traction. This is when you gas a car at low speeds while turning you can get only the inside wheel to lay rubber. This game has way, way more physics simulation than is apparent. AWD cars even have varying levels of power distribution to front and rear wheels depending on the model, which is why you can get the Elegy and Sultan to do 4 wheel burnouts but the 9f never will, because the Sultan and Elegy have a much closer distribution of power to front and rear, rather than the 9f which is like 80% rear.

Fake edit: ...And gently caress I wrote a phone book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 characters... 4 runs each. I just went from 1 mil to 3 mil in an afternoon.

A good day.

• Locked thread