Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hobbesmaster posted:

I really just don't "get" doobie or whatever the hotdog stand guy is named. someone wrote a post that got people in gbs to fund the guy's kickstarter. pretty sure this was peak classic gbs. I don't see anything else involved with it being anywhere near as funny as star citizen

someone made an image with :frog: on it and GBS being GBS thought that was the most amazing thing ever here doobie have my kids xmas money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Space-Pope posted:

iirc it turned out that the guy was kind of an idiot. like instead of ordering stuff from a restaurant supplier he just went to walmart and bought all his ingredients so it meant that hot dogs were like $5. also i think it turned out he was racist

a white man in Alabama, racist? I don't believe it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

a guy who lives in Shithole, AL - pop: 314 turns out to be a retarded hick you say! :monocle:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Space-Pope posted:

iirc it turned out that the guy was kind of an idiot. like instead of ordering stuff from a restaurant supplier he just went to walmart and bought all his ingredients so it meant that hot dogs were like $5. also i think it turned out he was racist

I've seen a lot of sam's club stuff at local restaurants

and of course he's racist, rural Alabama right?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

hobbesmaster posted:

I really just don't "get" doobie or whatever the hotdog stand guy is named. someone wrote a post that got people in gbs to fund the guy's kickstarter. pretty sure this was peak classic gbs. I don't see anything else involved with it being anywhere near as funny as star citizen
1. doobie's kickstarter is posted for mockery in the awful kickstarter thread
2. noni writes a "y'know what, this guy has a dream and I can't get mad at him for that, I'm going to donate" post.
3. his overly dramatic wording makes other people say "hey, i should give some money!"
4. it looks like goons might actually hit his goals with a little help, so SpoonMonkey makes a thread in GBS about it
5. things get incredibly dramatic, they start talking about how businesses like this can turn around a small town (this is the dumbest part)
6. (wait no this is) SpoonMonkey starts communicating with Doobie, says he's super ready to run a business, this is largely because SM does not know what it takes to run a business. this added confidence makes more people donate
7. (FUNNIEST THING) some sonofabitch gets his (grown) kids to agree to not get presents this year so they can make hot dog man's dream come true, donates $1000 to a kickstarter that has already met its goal
8. for a long while, it looks like doobie is not going to be successful in opening his restaurant, largely due to vent hood installation costs. he also posts some dad racism to facebook (lol fried chicken type jokes. Not saying it's a good thing, but the dude's not exactly in the klan)
9. the restaurant (surprisingly) opens, the food is underwhelming and somewhat expensive for what you're getting. however, there are few options in Reform Alabama and he has almost no debt so it appears he's doing just fine. there is a noted lack of professionalism in everything doobie does, but he's a redneck named doobie running a hotdog shack, who the hell cares
10. goons seize on every non-professional thing as if it's the funniest thing they've ever seen in their entire lives, for instance did you know that his decor is not very good, and the menu changes font sizes, bolding, and italics almost at random? in other words, the restaurant looks exactly like every great BBQ restaurant i've ever been to in my entire life but the food is like B- quality
11. i write this post and realize way too much of my brain is dedicated to doobiefacts

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
warning: containment failure

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

2. noni writes a "y'know what, this guy has a dream and I can't get mad at him for that, I'm going to donate" post.
3. his overly dramatic wording makes other people say "hey, i should give some money!"
4. it looks like goons might actually hit his goals with a little help, so SpoonMonkey makes a thread in GBS about it
5. things get incredibly dramatic, they start talking about how businesses like this can turn around a small town (this is the dumbest part)
6. (wait no this is) SpoonMonkey starts communicating with Doobie, says he's super ready to run a business, this is largely because SM does not know what it takes to run a business. this added confidence makes more people donate
7. (FUNNIEST THING) some sonofabitch gets his (grown) kids to agree to not get presents this year so they can make hot dog man's dream come true, donates $1000 to a kickstarter that has already met its goal
8. for a long while, it looks like doobie is not going to be successful in opening his restaurant, largely due to vent hood installation costs. he also posts some dad racism to facebook (lol fried chicken type jokes. Not saying it's a good thing, but the dude's not exactly in the klan)
9. the restaurant (surprisingly) opens, the food is underwhelming and somewhat expensive for what you're getting. however, there are few options in Reform Alabama and he has almost no debt so it appears he's doing just fine. there is a noted lack of professionalism in everything doobie does, but he's a redneck named doobie running a hotdog shack, who the hell cares
10. goons seize on every non-professional thing as if it's the funniest thing they've ever seen in their entire lives, for instance did you know that his decor is not very good, and the menu changes font sizes, bolding, and italics almost at random? in other words, the restaurant looks exactly like every great BBQ restaurant i've ever been to in my entire life but the food is like B- quality
11. i write this post and realize way too much of my brain is dedicated to doobiefacts

do you ever get sad

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

please return to the hell thread

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dren posted:

do you ever get sad
i think i am sad always now

ayn rand hand job posted:

please return to the hell thread
i dont like it, they actually care about all the things i posted for reasons i dont understand, i dont know why i know so much about a thing i dislike

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

welcome to the buttcoin thread where we dislike Bitcoins, time to sperg about how change addresses work and the chance of zero confirmation transaction getting double spent.

or goats and ghosts and Latin.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
the fbi is investigating gamergate so here's hoping we get more sa subpoena permas

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

totally forgot this was the buttcoin thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2po40d/since_my_house_is_being_searched_right_now_small/cmyul48
purseio confirm user did in fact get raided by german police, claim their service is totally legitimate

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2psbgk/buying_bitcoin_makes_me_feel/

quote:

Buying bitcoin makes me feel ... (self.Bitcoin) Atyzze
  • liberal
  • free
  • like I'm helping getting rid of corruption
  • like I'm helping getting rid of wealth inequality
  • like I'm helping moving the world to the next level
I like buying bitcoin because I truly believe it's one of the best investments out there, but more so because I feel all the things mentioned above. Give the power back to the people. Get more transparency in governments. Heck, even an autonomous government that is entirely based around bitcoin is possible. Have people vote with their money.

People don't seem to grasp how big bitcoin as a technology can get. It gets rid of the need of a central trust system such as governments, banks ... No longer do we need to give a few people a lot of power.

Bitcoin technology has the power to completely change the world, for the better. Transparency, visibility, traceability and democracy of money and power. It could get rid of a lot of corruption and power abuse, maybe even all ...

How do you feel when buying bitcoin?

If you want to convince people of checking out bitcoin, try appealing to their beliefs and identity instead of the investing potential. The first driver behind why we buy a particular product is self-identity.

spottedmarley 20 очков 4 hours ago*
Wealth inequality is about much more than simply, "I have X amount of wealth and you have Y amount of wealth" .. wealth inequality is an inherent feature of the current global financial system in that there are rules that control who is allowed to attain wealth and who isn't. That is what bitcoin fixes. People want so badly to simplify it down to who has more money than who, but that is only a symptom of wealth inequality. It's not about bank account equality (we all have equal money) its about PEOPLE equality (we are all allowed to to have equal money). In the current financial system, real wealth is not even an option for most people.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wealth inequality won't exist in the bitcoin future

Because all of the wealth will be hoarded by a few bitcoiners and everyone else will be loving peasants begging me for pencil shavings. Equality

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

indigi posted:

gamergate is the only "community" that might have a more tenuous grasp on reality than bitcoin true believers

yes somehow a community committed to harassing women is less crazy then bitcoiners

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
http://www.redditblog.com/2014/12/announcing-reddit-notes.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/redditnotes

:getin:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I mean at least at the heart of bitcoins is a discussion of how technology fits into economics

gamergaters are just straight up misogyny

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

the best part was when someone got him an sa account and he did an ama and turned out to be way less spergy than gibbis

lol you mean the fake as hell sass interview?

doobie has been a font of hilarity, up to and including his 50 cent in da club-backed diss track on gbs posters. the whole thing started because the guy went from "oh bless you kind goons" to "gently caress you got mine, not even gonna pretend to appease you with a relished hot dog named after you" the second he got his money. so the thread went from hugbox to anger dome q quickly, making fun of that somehow entitled hick when he forgot about things like "taxes" and "plumbing"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
people with "theflying" usernames have strong opinions on Doobie, but do not necessarily agree

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Hookworm returning to the south making more sense now

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

the dogs are good btw

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sweevo posted:

zybourne clock 2

no. don't say this, it'll make me want to investigate what it actually is. someone post a theflyingorclike summary of Star Citizen so I don't have to look it up please. on that note,

theflyingorc posted:

this is dumber than anything else in the story. those kids must be used to bullshit like that by now, though.

My Linux Rig posted:

yes somehow a community committed to harassing women is less crazy then bitcoiners

meditate upon the meaning of "more tenuous"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

no. don't say this, it'll make me want to investigate what it actually is. someone post a theflyingorclike summary of Star Citizen so I don't have to look it up please. on that note,

1. do you like wing commander
2. do you like chris roberts
3. do you want to piss away your kids college funds on fantasy starships
4. do you want to play a game

if you answered yes to any of the first 3 star citizen is your game

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

My Linux Rig posted:

I mean at least at the heart of bitcoins is a discussion of how technology fits into economics

gamergaters are just straight up misogyny

agreeing with the undead

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
do you really think the heart of bitcoin is "how technology fits in with economics." do you really think that. isn't it way more likely that the heart of it is "I'm paranoid and don't want the government to tax or arrest me for breaking the law," or that "this will make me rich then I can get Biff to wash my car" is the heart of bitcoin. isn't that way more probable.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

indigi posted:

so far what i've got is it's a crowd funded space MMO for the PC and that it was originally notable for getting a shitload of money based entirely upon the strength of some concept art

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ayn rand hand job posted:

1. do you like wing commander
2. do you like chris roberts
3. do you want to piss away your kids college funds on fantasy starships
4. do you want to play a game

if you answered yes to any of the first 3 star citizen is your game
this is a great post but it neglects the :siren:$66 million:siren: that idiots have funneled into this thing

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Sham bam bamina! posted:

this is a great post but it neglects the :siren:$66 million:siren: that idiots have funneled into this thing

there's a goon who bought ships early and went on to sell them on the grey market. made enough money through paypal he just bought a car with the proceeds.

the 66mil is what idiots have paid to the deveoplers. gullible redditors have paid *way more* than that.

i mean for real it's bitcoin spaceships

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

indigi posted:

do you really think the heart of bitcoin is "how technology fits in with economics." do you really think that. isn't it way more likely that the heart of it is "I'm paranoid and don't want the government to tax or arrest me for breaking the law," or that "this will make me rich then I can get Biff to wash my car" is the heart of bitcoin. isn't that way more probable.

bitcoin does a great job of showing how technological solutions are not adequate to deal with human problems. chargebacks are necessary because you can't write a piece of software to handle every real world situation, you need puny hu-mans

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Iridium posted:

i mean for real it's bitcoin spaceships

except the value of their spaceships won't go UP UP UP, quite the opposite, and RSI has been hilariously up-front about that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I couldn't find the spreadsheet that listed out which goons spent what on this

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
i do not like kickstarter because i legit suspect that people get the same positive feedback from it as they do giving to charity and then dont give to charity

and at the end of the day we get spaceship games that dont exist

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

we know this message is coming as a surprise to you but listen very carefully my friend, it's in your interest not to make the fatal mistake of assuming this is a joke and ignoring this message at your peril, this is about your life and the life of your family we're loving talking about, ignore this warning at your own risk, you have been advised and warned. This message is directly addressed to you and to no other. There's no need introducing us, we live by the BULLET. We see you, you don't see us, you don't know us. So be careful. Straight to the point, we will shoot to death, you and your family, if you fail to pay a one-time monetary tribute to the Mob within the next 12 days. We don't loving joke. We gat every detail we need to inflict maximum damage so better not gently caress with us. The selection process for this was random and was not triggered by any event under your control, however, once our selection is made and our target chosen, it's made; there's no going back, and we don't loving joke. That's why we're making this effort to formally inform you before it gets loving late for you. We'll give you enough time to comply with the demand of the Bratva, or get killed. You've been tracked, trailed, monitored and noted. We've kept tabs on you and your family in recent days. Believe this or not: we gat every-loving-detail we need about you and your family, we have photos, we know where to get you, we know where you live. Before contacting our target, our job is thorough. Comply with the demand of the Mafia and you and your family will be safe and remain safe, and we will leave you and go our way peacefully. But fail to comply and you won't loving escape been murdered. We can gun you down anywhere anytime just like that, even today. Even in a crowded place a precision snipe from Men will loving take you down. We can kill you in a thousand ways my friend. Don't loving make us take your lives. Foolhardy of you it'll be to take this as a bluff, you'll be treading on deathly paths. Don't take a gamble with your life, and the life of your loved ones. This is the only email communication you will receive from the Mob. The only other communication you're gonna receive from us is a hail of bullets, if our demand is not met before deadline. So listen very carefully my friend and make the best use of this instruction before it's loving late; you're required to pay a one-time monetary tribute of 7 bitcoins (7 BTC) to the bitcoin wallet address below if you care to live. To make this easier for you, use the service of any one of these 3 trustworthy and verified online bitcoin vendors to purchase these coins: coinbase.com, localbitcoins.com, or trucoin.com. Any one of these verified vendors should be adequate for you to buy these coins. We have given you sufficient information to easily buy the required coins and save your life and your family even if you're a novice when it comes to bitcoin. Do not say you were not adequately instructed, when things begin to happen, on failing to fulfil our demand. We're giving you a whole 12 days to buy 7 of these coins and send them to the dedicated wallet address below if you care about your life and the life of your loved ones:
1BHsLvdTYhq54wvJVHtiCihXC1KWpcgWtq
You gat 12 days to pay this monetary tribute. If after 12 days from today the payment is not received, it'll be taken as an affront and an insult to the Bratva, and the consequence is DEATH, and there'll be no going back. It's left to you my friend to decide whether you wanna live or die. Our mode of strike is planned and ready. Once the deadline is crossed, it's our finger on the loving trigger. Know this: you and your family can never escape us, the Mob will always track you down, and when it does, you all are loving dead. It'll be wise of you my friend to quietly pay this one-time monetary tribute before deadline and have your life and safety than to have you and your family mercilessly gunned-down in cold blood by the Violent, you are warned. This is a private message, we're everywhere; tell anyone about this and you're dead. Don't loving put yourself against the Mafia. We gat our ears on ground. We're closer than you think. Every single move you make is strictly monitored. Any loving screw-up results in death. The clock is ticking, we're counting, you gat 12 days. Take this from me: WE WILL SHOOT TO DEATH, YOU AND YOURS, IF THE PAYMENT IS NOT RECEIVED WITHIN THE NEXT 12 DAYS; this ain't a threat my friend; it's a loving promise. Give the Mob it's little one-time due and remain alive and safe, and everybody goes home happy, it's not too much to ask for, you're advised for the very last time. Our demand is nothing compared to the value of your life and that of your loved ones. Don't lose your life and your family over what you can easily afford. Be wise. Pay-up and you will have nothing to worry about my friend; FAIL TO PAY AND GET FELLED BY A HAIL OF BULLETS. 12 days, OVER.
Mob.

I'm the complete lack of personal details.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

indigi posted:

no, that is whats at the centre of bitcoin, the only problem is that everyone involved in the discussion is an ignorant fool

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

did everyone see this http://www.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/2pt25f/announcing_reddit_notes/

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Will I be able to redeem my Reddit Notes for LivingWithStyle Points?

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

[–]ryancarnated 205 points 3 hours ago
reddit recently raised a round of $50 million where the new investors agreed to give back 10% of the shares they bought to the community in the form of a "cryptocurrency" that was to be "backed" by reddit shares. For legal reasons, it is unlikely we will make the cryptocurrency exchangeable for actual shares, since we are not a public company, and therefore it would be illegal to give shares to millions of people. Howevever, we are working on a legal strategy and I'm sure the cryptocurrency will be exchangeable for something of value.
Also, we used the word "cryptocurrency" originally, but a better term is "digital asset", since in many ways notes will not be like a currency at all. For instance, we are not planning on letting users buy gold with the cryptocurrency (although we haven't eliminated that possibility).
The asset will be based on blockchain technology. As I have said in many previous reddit comments, we are not committing to any particular protocol at this time, but our preference is either for colored coins or sidechains depending on the winds of the bitcoin world in the coming months (the bitcoin world changes very, very fast, and we want to be certain we pick the best technology).
We are being intentionally vague right now because 1) we haven't solved every problem, 2) we don't want to make any promises we can't follow through on. This post is just to update everyone on our progress, and to invite people to follow along with the project at our new subreddit: /r/redditnotes

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

im the dude committing to distribute a non-retroconvertible-back-to-stock asset through sidechains or colored coins, which while they are on the wiki...

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

quote:

We are being intentionally vague right now because 1) we haven't solved every problem, 2) we don't want to make any promises we can't follow through on.

already more upfront and honest than bitcoin

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

surebet posted:

We are being intentionally vague right now because 1) we haven't solved every problem
You don't say :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

do sidechains have any implementation at all yet? i'm pretty sure colored coins do but i'd bet whatever ux they have is total poo poo

• Locked thread