Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

For anyone who has a Pixel coming (or, really, any other USB-C device) Nathan K and Benson Leung have teamed forces to give an easy breakdown of what cables and chargers you should buy and which you shouldn't and why.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/1PJZT2g61Ag

The big thing they highlight in the document is which chargers should be considered dangerously out of spec and which chargers do 9v3a for Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel at max rate. They even have a few car chargers on the list. The top Belkin one that google sells is also available from Verizon for 25% off list.

What's interesting is they do actually give both Verizon chargers (car and wall) pretty high marks despite the fact that they are QC 3.0 compatible. The Verizon wall charger is notable in that it also does 12v@2a Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel C at max rate, making it a great travel charger if you happen to have that tablet.

What is it
A sort of open source operating system designed by Google for all kinds of stuff; phones, tablets, wearables, TV's and even some appliances.

What it's good at
Android is available on pretty much any form factor you want. Human sized phones to jort matched phone slabs. Android has also matured quite a bit over the years and offers a wide app selection that lets you replace pretty much everything on the phone if the out-of-the-box functionality is something you want to change. However, there are two things that it really excels at: Google ecosystem integration (Gmail, contacts, calendar, etc) and content sharing (to contacts, between apps, etc)

Version history
- 1.0 & 1.1: Android's initial release.
- 1.5: Cupcake
- 1.6: Donut
- 2.0 & 2.1: Eclair
- 2.2.x: FroYo
- 2.3.x: Gingerbread
- 3.x: Honeycomb (Tablet only, what later versions of Android are based on, abandoned)
- 4.0.x: Ice Cream Sandwich
- 4.1.x / 4.2.x / 4.3.x: Jellybean
- 4.4: Kitkat
- 5.0.x: Lollipop

Should you get a carrier device or a Nexus
This matters a lot less than it used to now that many carriers have begun to subsidize Google Nexus devices. Additionally, carriers and OEMs are getting much better at keeping flagship devices updated in a timely manner. However, traditionally it was/is Nexus devices that are updated as fast as Google can put out code. Honestly, just go to the store and get your goony paws on them to see which you like best.

Rooting
Rooting a device allows a user to access and modify system level files and permissions in addition to installing entirely custom versions of Android. Sound neat? Super. Talk about it somewhere else.

poo poo nobody cares about or cares entirely too much about. Shut up.
- Removable batteries
- SD cards vs cloud storage vs whatever
- Task managers. Do people still do this?
- Console warrior bullshit
- Capacitive vs Onscreen buttons
- Pretty sure it's ok to mock people about physical keyboards though because Jesus Christ what is wrong with you?

Lollipop is here
Official site - http://www.android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/

- Material Design (complete visual overhaul)
- Large changes to how Android handles and displays notifications
- Auto/Manual battery savings mode
- Default device level encryption + Smart lock
- Quick device setup/restoration
- Guest mode
- Quick settings panel changes
- New runtime - Dalvik is now ART
- 64 bit support
- Android TV and Android Wear support

Other Android stuff
- SA Tablet Thread
- SA Forum Viewer
- SA homescreen thread
- SA app thread
- SA Android games thread
- Google Play

Phones that matter

Nexus 6

Nexus 5

Droid Turbo

Moto X (second gen)

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Note 4

Sony Z3 (and compact)

LG G3

Mod note from pervious thread:
If you aren't willing to unroot and un-custom-ROM your phone before asking for help, your question should go to the rooted thread. If you're positive your issue has nothing to do with rooting or your custom ROM, go ahead and post it here. God help you if you're wrong about your custom ROM (or rooting or whatever) not being the issue.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

What do you guys think of capacitive vs on screen buttons?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

XIII posted:

I hate you. So much.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Also:

Phones that matter, but you're poor:

Moto G LTE - Usually around $200 or less.

For use with AT&T/Tmobile/derivatives, not Verizon/Sprint/derivatives.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

XIII posted:

My screen protector gets in the way of the capacitive buttons, luckily I'm rooted, so I can push both volume keys at the same to boot into custom recover and unmount my SDCard.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Civil posted:

Also:

Isn't the 2013 Moto X a better choice?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is this where I can ask for grip tape application advice?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My screen protector gets in the way of the capacitive buttons, luckily I'm rooted, so I can push both volume keys at the same to boot into custom recover and unmount my SDCard.

I need a phone with a nice hardware keyboard on it so I can run my terminal emulator more easily. Anyone have a good suggestion?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Thermopyle posted:

Isn't the 2013 Moto X a better choice?

Yeah, but it's kind of discontinued, and the price is usually well north of $200 when you do find it.

The XT1053 is the best Moto X to get, because it has full support for both Tmo and AT&T on 3G and LTE bands. The XT1058 is usually easier to find, and works fine on AT&T, but is missing 1700Mhz for Tmo HSPA (where LTE isn't available yet).

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-32GB-Developer-Edition/dp/B00HOKAKYU/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Civil posted:

Yeah, but it's kind of discontinued, and the price is usually well north of $200 when you do find it.

The XT1053 is the best Moto X to get, because it has full support for both Tmo and AT&T on 3G and LTE bands. The XT1058 is usually easier to find, and works fine on AT&T, but is missing 1700Mhz for Tmo HSPA (where LTE isn't available yet).

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-32GB-Developer-Edition/dp/B00HOKAKYU/

I have 2013 Moto X that I am no longer using, but it was through Sprint. :/

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
80 hours of uptime and not a single launcher redraw or very recent app falling out of RAM. I'm pretty confident in saying that 5.0.1 fixed the awful memory issues on the Nexus 5.

Just gonna wait to see what else Google breaks. Cellular? The ability to turn on? Only time will tell.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 19, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android 5.0.2 spotting

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

loving :lol::lol:

Edit: vvvv Black because reasons?

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 19, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Why doesn't android have a built in theme manager like windows? I should be able to change the default colors especially with material design apps. Who said gmail has to be red and hangouts green? Why can I make all the apps the same color that I get to choose?

Which apps would you change, and what color would you change them to?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is this where I can ask for grip tape application advice?

Apply it to your cardboard cutout first as a test.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RZA Encryption posted:

Which apps would you change, and what color would you change them to?

Gmail being red gives me an anxity attack that I have to read all my email RIGHT NOW, hangouts being green makes me a little nauseous. I would like a pastel color pallet, is that too much to ask. It wouldn't even be a huge thing to implement, all the apps using the material design have to support changing the top bar, just expand on that to allow a theme manager to set the color of the app. Oh if its not needed on android why is it needed in windows? We should all use the same wallpaper while we're at it. Its a phone not a computer so deal with it isn't the answer either.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

r0ck0 posted:

Gmail being red gives me an anxity attack that I have to read all my email RIGHT NOW, hangouts being green makes me a little nauseous. I would like a pastel color pallet, is that too much to ask. It wouldn't even be a huge thing to implement, all the apps using the material design have to support changing the top bar, just expand on that to allow a theme manager to set the color of the app. Oh if its not needed on android why is it needed in windows? We should all use the same wallpaper while we're at it. Its a phone not a computer so deal with it isn't the answer either.

I can't tell if this is a fakepost or not.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nimper posted:

I can't tell if this is a fakepost or not.

It's not, and he's not the only one that feels this way.

To be clear: I don't feel this way, he and his ilk are loving crazy sperglords that have to control every aspect of their device or else they feel oppressed.

Read the root thread sometime to see this attitude in larger numbers.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not, and he's not the only one that feels this way.

To be clear: I don't feel this way, he and his ilk are loving crazy sperglords that have to control every aspect of their device or else they feel oppressed.

Read the root thread sometime to see this attitude in larger numbers.

Oh, I do read the root thread... this one seems over the top even for the usual XDA sperg.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Hello pot, let me introduce you to kettle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

r0ck0 posted:

Hello pot, let me introduce you to kettle.

Both have a black color scheme, approved for my use case!

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
There's really no reason not to have the option to, I doubt it would be too complicated. Then again there's no reason on screen buttons shouldn't be customizable either yet they aren't.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm not going to cry for a completely theme-able OS, but I would like an option for a dark theme for apps. I've stopped caring enough to flash/install themed versions (because gently caress that), but I've also started opening Gmail in place of toggling on the flash so I can find my way around my apartment at night

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Maker Of Shoes posted:

80 hours of uptime and not a single launcher redraw or very recent app falling out of RAM. I'm pretty confident in saying that 5.0.1 fixed the awful memory issues on the Nexus 5.

Just gonna wait to see what else Google breaks. Cellular? The ability to turn on? Only time will tell.

After about 60 hours the redraws started again for me, so I wouldn't be to confident.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...kind-of-a-jerk/
Some emails between Cyanogen and OnePlus got leaked today

I found this one amusing

quote:

From : Kirt McMaster Date : Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 2.59 PM Subject : Cyanogen termination To : Carl Pei Cc: Vikram Natrajan , Frank Montes
Carl….Any and all communication in regard to oneplus and cyanogen must go through vik and myself.
We will halt support for oneplus devices immediately…..I am also requesting that oneplus stop using the cyanogen brand in any marketing collateral or communication in India. [sic]
Frank also cc’d is our general council. If you have any specific questions send them to all of us.
K
Sent from my iPad

Cyanogen's CEO won't even touch his own bullshit on a tablet

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

There's really no reason not to have the option to, I doubt it would be too complicated. Then again there's no reason on screen buttons shouldn't be customizable either yet they aren't.

Too much choice is a bad thing. Not many people want to get lost in a sea of options when trying to use their phone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

As a developer, every time I hear this I weep.

Yes it would be complicated.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Let's discuss SD cards shall we?

Best SD card for my Galaxy S5?

:getin:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Many apps already let you choose what color to flash on the led notification light and what sound if any to make. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to let you change the color, especially if it was built into Android itself.

I don't know if I'd use it myself, but I can certainly understand the people who want it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Civil posted:

Also:

Eh, 5.0 really hosed with the Moto G's. Multitasking is pretty much impossible on one now - I have a 2014 Moto G and after Lollipop simply cannot keep both Play music and Maps open. A loving travesty really, especially when my Razr M that had the same amount RAM had absolutely no problems doing such simple things like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Eh, 5.0 really hosed with the Moto G's. Multitasking is pretty much impossible on one now - I have a 2014 Moto G and after Lollipop simply cannot keep both Play music and Maps open. A loving travesty really, especially when my Razr M that had the same amount RAM had absolutely no problems doing such simple things like that.

There's a lot of that going around with lollipop, not just with the Moto G.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

After a day with a Nexus 6 my only complaint is the viewing angles on the screen are pretty bad with a lot of yellowing after 30 degrees or so.

Main concern going into it was the size of course as I have pretty average man hands and not giant's hands, but a lifetime of PC gaming and piano playing has prepared me well and I have no issues.

Otherwise really enjoying it, huge upgrade over my S3.

0zxy
Mar 21, 2011
I went into a Verizon store today to play with the Note 4, Droid Turbo, and Moto X. The Moto X was unusable because if I tried to leave the VZW demo video the launcher would crash. I didn't notice the capacitive buttons on the Turbo as much as I thought I would. The Note 4 flew and had a slightly better screen. However, I'm currently holding into a Galaxy Nexus so everything seemed amazing to me. I was hoping to be able to walk out knowing whether I wanted the Note 4 or the Droid Turbo, but I'm still confused. I think I might go with the Note 4 just because I'd like to take an entirely different approach to using my phone with the S-Pen whereas the Droid Turbo would just be more battery and faster I guess.

Also, the rep at the store came over to speak with me and her first question to gauge me as a customer was "What are you going to be using for your phone for?".

She also asked if I really wanted to keep my unlimited data.
:smugbert:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

0zxy posted:

"What are you going to be using for your phone for?".

Did you tell her the right thing and say it's solely a communications device :colbert:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

There's a lot of that going around with lollipop, not just with the Moto G.

Which is a pretty poor showing considering that Lollipop was billed as an update especially built for lower-end devices. The aggressive App culling is something that should really be fixed, especially since it doesn't seem necessary at all - I have a poo poo-ton of Apps open on my N6 and even so I'm a hair under 1 GB RAM used typically (unless Muzei decides to run crazy and blow up to 300 MB).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OG Nexus 7 (the WiFi-only version, anyway) now has 5.0.2 (LRX22G) available for sideload direct from Google. I don't know if it's available OTA; someone else will have to check that.

I can report that, at least as a :pt: sideload, it's finally ready for prime time (insofar as a 2012 Nexus 7 ROM can be).

Note that installing this the way that page tells you to will wipe goddamn everything, including the user storage.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 20, 2014

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

OG Nexus 7 (the WiFi-only version, anyway) now has 5.0.2 (LRX22G) available for sideload direct from Google. I don't know if it's available OTA; someone else will have to check that.

I can report that, at least as a :pt: sideload, it's finally ready for prime time (insofar as a 2012 Nexus 7 ROM can be).

Note that installing this the way that page tells you to will wipe goddamn everything, including the user storage.
The default flash-all.bat script always does that.
You can edit the file by the removing the "-w" tag to keep your data intact.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Well of course, but

1) it's never a bad idea to warn people about loss of data when messing with system updates,
2) cleaning out the old userspace/Android folder's probably a good idea, and
3) not backing things up is a calligraphed invitation for chaos to ruin your entire day anyway.

Also this is likely to draw in anyone that knows what dir or ls do and want to get the jump on making their tablet last maybe one final year. They may not even know how to deal with command scripts. They should probably wait for the OTA, but lots of people like living dangerously and wouldn't normally think about root, and we don't know when Google's going to drop an OTA.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 20, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Should I not expect Moto Voice to read my text messages if I have Hangouts as the default text messaging app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Decius posted:

Which is a pretty poor showing considering that Lollipop was billed as an update especially built for lower-end devices. The aggressive App culling is something that should really be fixed, especially since it doesn't seem necessary at all - I have a poo poo-ton of Apps open on my N6 and even so I'm a hair under 1 GB RAM used typically (unless Muzei decides to run crazy and blow up to 300 MB).
Pretty sure is was KitKat that was billed for lower specs.

Also the aggressive app culling is a bug (system memory leak) rather than just a poor design choice, tons of people are suffering it across different devices.