Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Changing my vote from Terror Knight to BLIND ARCHER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
As much as I like ninjas, we already have one and the conservation of ninjutsu would end making both of them collectively weaker than either would be alone.
Archer

DM Zero
Dec 8, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Have to go with Crossbow Dragoon.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Looks like Hobyrim is going to become an archer. Like the good samurai should be.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Good, because he would outshine good ol Prowler, the ninja.

Weird, ninjas is in my dictionary, but not ninja...

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Looks like Hobyrim is going to become an archer. Like the good samurai should be.

That's a shame. There are only a few more characters that are as OP ninjas and they all have their own special class.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 51: Hammer To Fall

Welcome back, everyone. In the last update we fought three unskippable battles while on our way to Barnicia Castle. The last one of which was against a so far mostly irrelevant Dark Knight. Which serves as a nice prelude for next few fights. While all this was going on a still unseen legion of ours was somewhere else drawing the Dark Knights attention. This was all part of Denam's plan to make it to the castle undetected.

Barnicia Castle: Former seat of power in Old Barnicia. Its walls still bear the scars of the "Water that Burns," flaming balls of tar that were used to lay siege to the castle during the war.

I like that the description for every castle in the game is basically, the castle has thick walls that were beat to poo poo in the last war.

Now, on to the castle.

Plenty.

Lower your weapons and surrender at once! Your lives will be spared!

As you spared the lives of Oz and Ozma!? Let's show them Loslorien's true mettle, boys!

Nothing to exciting here. Just a bunch a dudes we got to kill. You might think there is something interesting with those three wingedman up on the wall there. But no. They will just fly down on their first turn.

In addition to the Templars the enemy have a couple Iron Golems. They're pretty beefy, so we put the golemy skill on Voltare that way his hammer will do more damage to the golems. This will make the fight go a lot faster.

This fight is boring, so we're skipping to the end.

Surely that Dark Knight who escaped would have given them warning?

No idea why Andoras would not report back to the rest of the Dark Knights? I can't think of a single reason why.

Congratulations

Someone whispers to the Almoricans?

Who, the regent? That fond of us, is he?

Just a reminder, Barbas is the one who lead the attack on the Rhime at the end of chapter 2. He's a pretty big dude.

Do not be so eager to die, Barbas. They're not the rabble they once were.

You call me weak.

I call you foolish if you think you face children down there.

But face them we must! It's only a question of whether we end this here, or in Heim.

Surely you aren't suggesting we quit these islands entirely? We have not yet lost, and you would leave without a fight!?

I fear that even were we to place Catiua upon the throne, it would not bring an end to the unrest.

Does anyone else think it's awkward that they're talking about Catiua and she is just standing there not saying anything?

Precisely why we must crush them here and now!

Surely you haven't forgotten our true goal, Barbas! The rule of Valeria is but one step along our path. If we retreat now, our losses would be trivial. The high priest has commanded as much!

It seems Barbas does not care for politics or politicians.

Enough, Barbas! Or it may be your head upon the pike.

Bah. Speak the truth, Lanselot! You don't want to lose favor with the Senate.

The magic sword they stole. That's still a plot point.

Speaking of which, I received word from Balxephon.

Again? What would he have us do now? Wrest the firmament from its perch?

Oh, we're here.

Lanselot and Catiua begin to leave. While ignoring Denam of course.

I leave this in your hands.

My hands will be happy to show them the difference between knights... and children.

We leave now, Catiua.

She did it! Catiua managed to not say a single word during the entire scene. Not even a "...".

Barbas doesn't care that he can technically only jump down 3 unnamed height units at a time.

Reinforcements come pouring in.

Look, Denam's trying to :iceburn: someone.

Oh poo poo! He's got a gun in a fantasy setting. He's either has the power of a god in his hand or he's holding a useless trinket.

Of course you do not. This marvelous weapon is called a "fusil," and it's far more powerful than any sorcery!

Trinket it is.

Fie! Worthless, bedeviled contraption! You! Get him out of here.

And by "him," he means the gun. Important lesson: Templars aren't people, guns are people.

As I was saying, contraptions are well and good, but a true knight fights with a sword!

Laughing at his own joke. He's so proud of himself for that one.

Let's go to the map.

Here's the deal. Normally we would need to get our units that currently at point 1 over to point 3 to kill our target. The problem is that all these walls are too tall to jump over. Don't let Barbas base jumping stunt fool you this game does have a maximum jump and fall height for each unit. Everyone on the field, with one exception, has a max jump height of 2. Which means since we can't jump over the walls we would have to take the long way (aka following the green arrows). But that's long and boring. Instead we're going to make Barbas come to us (via the yellow arrow).

Denam starts at point 2 on the map above and away from everyone else because of the cutscene, but we can use this to our advantage. We can use him as a decoy to distract some of the Templars. Also we will send Hobyrim and Buluru over to assist.

Prowler is that exception I mentioned above. He can jump up to 3, but that doesn't matter. He has Leaping Monkey which means he can ignore terrain height any way. Maybe is secretly a ninja.

He's going to be our bait to lure Barbas back to our starting position. He is not going to jump up now because some of the Templers have crossbows, and hugging the walls will keep him out of their firing range.

Since Canopus can fly he could also go over the walls at anytime. However, he doesn't have Steelstance or any other defensive move and there are a lot of Templers up there.

One of the longbow archers attacks Prowler. Feeding him much need TP.

A few moments later, Barbas moves forward and tries his hand at magic.

He's really bad at it.

With our target now in sight it's time to set up the first phase of our trap.

Prowler is into position to lure Barbas and he puts up his guard.

Canopus takes out the injured Templar.

With our bait in position we have nothing to do but sit back and wait.

The enemy assault on Prowler begins.

Steelstance is the best.

On the otherside of the field, Denam and co have been doing their job of drawing attention of a few wayward Templers.

Sometimes attention hurts.

The enemy AI is having a hard time responding to our tactics.

On his second turn, Barbas goes after Prowler and crits. Thank goodness for Steelstance. Without it Barbas's normal attacks were doing about 95 to Prowler. That crit would have flattened him in one blow.

In anticipation we move Mirdyn and Gildas into intercept position.

Prowler falls back to bait our trap.

Now, we wait.

More waiting...

Still more waiting...

What's this! Our trap has caught an unexpected fly.

He and his Rampart Aura are going to be here for awhile.

Here he comes!

He's here! Now we can kill him.

Mirdyn goes first. Unfortunately, he is completely blocked in by that one Templar's Rampart Aura. So he's on heal-bot duty.

Prowler is next.

Barbas is a beefy dude with lots of HP, defense, and a couple ranks in Parry. He's not going down easy.

After getting his swings in, Prowler steps back to let some other people do something for once.

Remember earlier in the update when I said that I put golemy on Voltare. Well to do that I took off Truestrike, and of course I forgot to put it back on before the battle. Needless to say Voltare isn't going to able hit Barbas at this rate.

So, we have him use Instill Light on Gildas. Because why not.

Staticpulse gets a hit in on Barbas.

But Barbas's counter gives back more than he received. Ouch. Now you can see why we're using knights to fight Barbas. Even his couterattacks hurt.

Canopus turns up the drama for this one.

What have you done with Lanselot? What have you done with my brother!?

And Gildas instantly knocks it down.

Quiet, you!

A bird's place is the stewpot, not the battlefield.

I'll peck your eyes out for that! Mind your taunts. They always come home to roost!

We use one of Canopus's skills to give Voltare Truestrike. Mabye now he can actually hit something.

...odd. You'd think such a pock-marked pisswater face would leave a stronger impression!

Xenobian! Why aren't you dead yet?

Did I mention Gildas is the best? Because he is.

Martym...? You speak of Martym! So you're the knight who begged for your life at the point of his sword!

Do you repeat every lie you're told in this fashion? By my honor, if you know what that is, 'twas your fool of a friend who cried mercy.

A fine tale. May it keep you company in your grave!

Gildas's wordplay might be excellent in this fight, but his swordplay is a little lacking.

Rhime? Ah, yes. You failed to defend her, as I recall, knight. How are you with other ladies? You must disappoint them as well/

I'd be more worried about my own fortunes in love, were I you.

Mirdyn for all his boosting is still being blocked by Rampart Aura.

Not going down without a fight Barbas uses one of the hammer finishing moves to take out Leal and severely hurt two others. It's a pretty good finisher.

Thoroughly buffed, Voltare shows what our hammer Knight can do.

Truestrike makes all the difference.

Air-touched helps too.

Wait, Barbas!

With that Barbas flees.

Congratulations

At this point I realized I forgot something. I redid the fight the long and tedious way. Making sure to kill the Templar that Barbas handed the fusil to.

Look out world. Things are going to be different now. We got a gun! That no one can equip or use.

Next Time: SISSSTTTTEEEEERRRR!!!!!!! Also Lanselot.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

At this point I realized I forgot something. I redid the fight the long and tedious way. Making sure to kill the Templar that Barbas handed the fusil to.

Fffffffffffffff

I never thought of that :smith:

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
There's only one or two classes that can learn the Fusil skill. Also, you need to be level 15 to learn the Fusil skill unlike every other weapon skill. This is because the lowest level gun you can equip is at level 15.

So yes, any class that can learn to wield guns can't actually start out using guns but instead crossbows or swords.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
God I love the Barbas fight in all versions of this game solely for the :iceburn: quotient.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

...odd. You'd think such a pock-marked pisswater face would leave a stronger impression!

Xenobian! Why aren't you dead yet?

Did I mention Gildas is the best? Because he is.

:black101: TEAM XENOBIA :black101:

I'd love to see remakes of the other OB games with this attention to detail. With all the stuff they did for LUCT, these bits of character dialog are just fantastic.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The original quotes are pretty great, too:

PS version posted:

So, you are the Roslolians that I heard about! The Knights who invaded Rime and murdered innocent people! Not only that, you even attacked my blood brother! Where is Lans!?

Excuse me!? Since when did our leader become your blood brother!?

What else should I call him, a blood dad!? I'm not that old!

What the hell is that duck quacking about!? Shoo, before I turn you into Peking Duck!

Duck!? Who are you calling a duck!? I'm pissed! At least I don't look like a baboon!!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Staticpulse posted:

There's only one or two classes that can learn the Fusil skill. Also, you need to be level 15 to learn the Fusil skill unlike every other weapon skill. This is because the lowest level gun you can equip is at level 15.

So yes, any class that can learn to wield guns can't actually start out using guns but instead crossbows or swords.

Unless you scavenge the skill from someone's corpse :kheldragar:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, that was a great opening cutscene. I can just imagine the look on Barbas' face as the gun kicks in his hand and takes out a friendly.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Fights like these are when i am so happy to have a stock of Wheel of Fortune tarot cards. Seriously, i wish i abused them more instead of going RPG hoarder mode. The ability to blink walk, spelcraft, and healcraft (hahahaha no one uses healcraft) are really OP if you actually use them.

Also i have a new found love for theif traps, even though they require so much work to make happen.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

My favorite scene from the original version of the game. I played the SFC version--which was all Japanese, of course--but you don't need to be able to read what he's saying to know he done hosed up.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Why does Gildas shut down Canopus like that?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
Because Gildas gives no shits like that. Teammate, foe, he'll diss them all.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It's heavily implied in the PSX translation that Gildas did lose to Martym.

But yeah, this is such a great fight, from the comical friendly fire to the banter.

e: vv yes, I know, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers?

FairGame fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 19, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Petty sure he more than loses since if you go Chaotic-Lawful for your choices to run the neutral route you end up fighting Nybbas's zombies which include Gildus and he drops the Isleberg when you 'kill' him :smith:

I'm not entirely sure the PSP version doesn't imply he lost as well. It seems like he got called out on losing and basically did a "NO U :smuggo:" response.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Ninja

"I am skilled in all three forms of ninjutsu: having more turns, more move, and more damage output."

Races: Human
RT: 22 Move: 5 Jump: 3/4
Weapons: Some Daggers, 1h Katanas, blowguns, 1h bows, 1h crossbows, some throwing weapons
Armor: Medium
Magic: Ninjutsu
Support: Counterattack II, Knockback II, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Spellcraft IV, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight IV, Spellstrike IV, Dodge IV, Sidestep IV, Spell Ward IV, Constitution IV
Other: Double Attack, Parry, Deflect, Overpower, Swiftfoot II, Jump II, Wade II
Action: Evanescence, Concentration, Steelstance
Special: N/A

Ninja's fuckin' broke. RPGs keep giving ninjas high speed and it turns out having a lot of turns is good. They keep getting high movement ability and it turns out being able to get into position before everyone else and take extra routes is good. And for whatever reason they keep getting to swing two weapons and never get a meaningful drawback applied to this ability, so they just deal twice as much damage as everyone else, and it turns out that's good.

I mean I suppose they're frail. Ish. Not very particularly, but they get Steelstance to make up for it. By all objective measures Steelstance is a pretty bad skill, since it isn't that significant of a decrease in damage, but it's patching up the one weakness they may have had. It's not like killing endlessly with melee attacks doesn't fill up TP nigh instantly.

Ninjutsu is kind of bad. Ninjas don't have the intelligence to use low-rent summon spells adequately and besides that you're taking time to do that instead of murdering with two swords. It's a false flag. A smokescreen. A red herring. Assign double attack and thresh your foes as though they were wheat.

Do I have to explain that dealing 200% damage is good? No? Thanks. You made this easier. They do that and have other advantages and their drawbacks are covered by their advantages.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I love how ludicrous leaping monkey can be in maps with high terrain. There's nothing funnier than seeing a ninja nonchalantly jump up a castle wall to murder an archer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I did like using the bind ninjutsu, though I pretty much had to also use the skill that makes ininjutsu's hit for 100%... so I had to use 2 skill slots to do one thing well. And required burning TP

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ninja

Ninjutsu is kind of bad. Ninjas don't have the intelligence to use low-rent summon spells adequately and besides that you're taking time to do that instead of murdering with two swords. It's a false flag. A smokescreen. A red herring. Assign double attack and thresh your foes as though they were wheat.

I would just like to note that Ninjutsu is a bit of a magikarp thing. First off - the level 2 ninjutsu are easily obtained if you know where to look, and don't require post-game/bonus dungeon shenanigans to acquire unlike it's mage counterparts. Second off - Equiping baldur equipment and elemental augment weapons x2 (earth and water are easily gained through crafting if you know where the gear books are) plus a choker once you get access to them can turn a ninja into a magical death dealing machine. Ninjutsu WILL outpace double attack in usability if not sheer damage (which becomes less important since overkill's not very useful) eventually.

And while their power will pale when compared to an endgame mage, their kill count will be MUCH MUCH higher if only because they have supreme maneuverability.

And as a bonus, you can still keep double attack for targets that will take little damage from your magic.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 20, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Huh, really? The only place I've seen the II ninjutsus is in enemy spell lists. I might give it a spin if I ever get out of the PoTD since Hobyrim already has over 4000 SP to spare.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Huh, really? The only place I've seen the II ninjutsus is in enemy spell lists. I might give it a spin if I ever get out of the PoTD since Hobyrim already has over 4000 SP to spare.

They're drops in some of the (more easily accessed) chapter 4 optional fights.

Mechanically their power level is between a summoning 1 and 2. So if you can get a ninja with decent augment gear and some int, they WILL oneshot anything but monsters. Combine that kind of firepower and their rediculous movement (their base movement and ninjutsu that increases said movement) and you're talking about some serious pain. Even early on, when you're still trying to get gear, they will have a great chance of one shotting low hp, low mind enemies (archers, ninja, and rogues come to mind) and will seriously hurt anything else that's not a monster assuming all baldur+ gear.

Also ninja can use up to spellpower 3 which helps. They have to learn it from a different class though obviously.

I earlier listed specifically which fights, but I figured that might be spoilers.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 20, 2014

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

mauman posted:

I would just like to note that Ninjutsu is a bit of a magikarp thing. First off - the level 2 ninjutsu are easily obtained if you know where to look, and don't require post-game/bonus dungeon shenanigans to acquire unlike it's mage counterparts. Second off - Equiping baldur equipment and elemental augment weapons x2 (earth and water are easily gained through crafting if you know where the gear books are) plus a choker once you get access to them can turn a ninja into a magical death dealing machine. Ninjutsu WILL outpace double attack in usability if not sheer damage (which becomes less important since overkill's not very useful) eventually.

And while their power will pale when compared to an endgame mage, their kill count will be MUCH MUCH higher if only because they have supreme maneuverability.

And as a bonus, you can still keep double attack for targets that will take little damage from your magic.

I got human female ninja because I think the sprite is amazing. Sounds like i know what she will learn and do off and on over the next year.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So I have a terrible idea that for the new year I want to try an all title run of Tactics Ogre. :shepicide:

With all the other games I have and need to play please convince me this is a terrible idea.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

waah posted:

So I have a terrible idea that for the new year I want to try an all title run of Tactics Ogre. :shepicide:

With all the other games I have and need to play please convince me this is a terrible idea.

I don't see how that's possible on one save file, for one, as looking at a list of how to acquire titles in LUCT, there are several that are mutually exclusive, including forbidding use of the CHARIOT system.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Grinnblade posted:

I don't see how that's possible on one save file, for one, as looking at a list of how to acquire titles in LUCT, there are several that are mutually exclusive, including forbidding use of the CHARIOT system.
code:
What you have to do is this:

A) beat the game on any alignment without

-having anyone die or get knocked out

-retreat from any battle

-use chariot on any battle

Doing so nets you the Concord King Unbloodied title, which is probably
the second hardest one to get

B) Mop up all the different spoiler bits involving a certain character 
   because now it doesnt matter if people die.  
   This is when you:

-abuse the scavenge system

-Have the ability to use the "World" chariot system which 
         is different than the battle chariot

-World chariot allows you to collect all the recruitables 
         you want so that you can prepare for

*All iterations of the story line battles in the 
                        Palace of the Dead

*All story line fights in the post game
                        dungeons

*Grind grind grind some more for:

C) The Soul Crushing Original way to get drops

-If I want you know who I am going to hate my life
             because there is no "quick" way to farm pumpkins

-Same with any Palace of the Dead drops: either you 
             get them all on one map and save scum the whole battle 
             or run the Palace of the Dead even more times

D) Very, very, very, small victories:

- By the time for PoTD, your units can die or be 
              knocked out

-withdrawing from areas doesn't count, so at 
             least you dont get "I want to kill myself" screwed if 
             you hit Floor 85 and realize you just dont have the 
             supplies to finish out

-you can always save scum for crafting

E)  The hardest part of all, beating the entire game without 
    retreating from any random battle at all, or using chariot 
    at all.  

-for now this is fun, its better than easy mode of just go 
           forward and smash

-consumables that grant healcraft/spellcraft/dodge are
           utterly amazing at low levels.  Knowing I have to exploit 
           *everything* is causing me to use stuff I never would have.  

-Philtres of Ashes (grants an extra level of side step
            at low levels most enemy archers will only have 25% 
            chance to hit you) are god sends.

-army composition matters as do all of those "useless" 
           light/fire/etc attuned and adverse affects.

*again more so at lower levels.  As far 
                   as I can tell these effects add/nullify
                   a level of augment element

*A class we will get before the game is 
                   over has a "useless" ability to tell the 
                   state of the elements on the battlefield.  
                   By the time i get it, it will be useless but 
                   the idea stands that I will want to stack the 
                   elements in my favor as much as possible.  That
                   means trying to match up an army of all say 
                   water and air, or ice and lightning.  The more
                   an element is cast in battle the stronger it 
                   becomes.  If you cast the opposing element 
                   then both elements become weaker.  So you 
                   can use this defensively in a known 
                   elemental battle, or you can skew for one 
                   element and have your wizards and weapons 
                   doing more damage overall (i dont have 
                   numbers but it can become pretty noticable)

F) Finish all the way through the Coda and the (already hard with 
   Chariot final fight of the Coda without using battle chariot 
   or retreating
So follow all those rules for 70 hours, then the bottom "half" for another 300 or so and you get someone who needs professional help.

Edited to not break the tables

waah fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 30, 2014

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I refuse to do an all title run. I'm already kinda crazy for doing stuff like legitimate crafting and other super-grindy stuff.

If I wasn't able to use Chariot I would probably :shepicide:

If it wasn't obvious, my advice is save your sanity. It's not worth the titles.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I beat the game without using CHARIOT, that's more than enough for me.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

The Monkey Man posted:

Thats probably as far as I get before I go crazy.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

The Monkey Man posted:

I too beat the original PSX version.

...While using the occasional save state. :ssh:

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 2, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I too beat the original PSX version.

...While using the occasional save state. :ssh:

I beat the original. On a Playstation, via the neutral route, and while keeping Kaucha, the wonderfully broken Princess alive when you have to fight them. Several of my units could one-shot the idiot with 100% success when attacked. I have never had to reload save files so often in a single fight. :negative:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Some of the protect the guest missions in the original are just obscene. Like "here is a charmed and naked person way on the other side of the map and also surrounded by dark knights."

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 52: God Save The Queen

Last time we successfully made it past the gates of Barnicia Castle in our attempt to rescue Catiua. The Dark Knight put up a fight, but in the end most of them ran away. Including Barbas who led the attack on Rhime.

A story tells that the former master of this castle, Duke Clemont, was assassinated as he walked up these stairs leading to the throne room

Catiua, we return to Heim! This decrepit castle crumbles around us.

She finally speaks.

You must heed me!

Catiua runs away.

How many times has Denam ran into a room and yelled "Sister!" at this point?

Catiua stops dead in her tracks. Also check out all those Templars in different shades of blue. In that group there are about four different "classes" of Templar. Good luck telling them apart.

Since we're finally fight the big guy let's take a look at him. He's a Death Templar because I guess Dark wasn't edgy enough.

Remember back in update 49 when we told papa Forehead that we couldn't fight our sister. Well it turns out our reward for saying that is having to fight her. If we had chosen the other option she would have ran away before Denam arrived and not be on the field. That said we aren't actually going to fight her. She too far away and the fight will be long over before we could get to her.

But if we did attack her.

She will pull out one of those teleport crystals...

Sister...? No!

What? Catiua!

To be needed.... As a sister, as a friend, as...family.

Um, Catiua aren't you going to use the crystal.

Oh... :smith:

An ill-favored day, this is. This is what comes of looking down at your own feet and ignoring the horizon.

No.... You did this to her. You did this to all of us!

It was you who killed Catiua! You called her sister, and you murdered her! She was our last hope for lasting peace on these islands. That hope died with her.

Lanselot teleports away.

Sister...

Then the fight ends and the game continues.

However, back in the universe where Denam isn't an rear end in a top hat.

Here is what we're up against. The two Templars on the left have longbows and two in the main group have crossbows. Needless to say their starting height is going to give them the range advantage. The main group also has some clerics, a few terror knights, and a couple of swordmasters of all things.

They care nothing about restoring your throne. They seek a relic left by the Dynast-King. Only one of Dorgalua's blood can help them grasp it... They're using you!

Do not lend him your ear, Catiua! Think on how you've been betrayed. By King Dorgalua, Abuna Prancet, even your brother! That's right. Your dear brother betrayed you. Have you forgotten your pain so soon!

So they serve their own ends. What of it? It is a fact of life and war that men use others... even as I will use them to defeat you. At least here I know I am needed.

The plan is to send our main force up the stair in the upper left corner. While also sending a small group up the stairs that are just off screen to the right to flank the enemy.

Turn 2 starts with more dialog.

Release her? She is with us of her own accord. And who are you to demand anything of the monarch of Valeria?

You brought war with you when you came to these islands! Valeria needs you not at all, and my sister needs you even less.

The main group is at the base of the stairs.

Up above, the enemy crossbowmen start taking pot shots at us.

Canopus is making a beeline for the two archers on the left hand side.

Another turn latter, Hobyrim is ready to the new archer thing. He had enough SP to learn the Bows and Trueflight skill, but no Tremendous Shot.

Time for more chatting.

You brought war with you when you came to these islands! Valeria needs you not at all, and my sister needs you even less.

Oh? It was none other than the Bakram regent who summoned us here. Your very uncle, Brantyn Morne! We are not invaders, but mediators. It is you who insists upon war! If you truly wish order for the islands, then you will follow Lodis!

I have no desire for order born of irons and bonds!

Hmph. You remind me of another. Yes, he said much the same as you! Talk of "freedom." "People have the right to live out their own lives," was it? Very well. You may share his fate!

You speak of Lanselot...

ON the right, the flanking team, is almost in position.

While on the left, Gildas is ready to take on all comers.

In the mean time Arycelle sneaks a quick shot in.

Not that it matters much because the enemy clerics are bringing their A game.

So we just need to hit them some more.

Even then they just keep healing.

For the moment the longbow archers are free to target whoever they please.

Until Canopus gets up there...

And targets the clerics down below. The clerics are way more annoying than the archers. So we'll let them have a field day for all we care. Just as long as we stop the healers.

The other two archers team up.

Then, hit Hobyrim with two consecutive Tremendous Shots.

Followed by some more healing.

:argh:

Let's put a stop to this.

There is a Templar blocking the other team's path. Since he can't move into stabbing range Denam attacks and charms this Templar.

She responds by throwing a rock at him.

Lanselot gets in on the healing love fest. Of course the Death Templar can use divine magic. Makes perfect sense.

Fire! Fire will put a end to all of this cleric nonsense.

And what fire doesn't cure, a good spear will.

But a Templar puts a stop to that by petrifying Buluru.

The charmed Templar Alyne is doing a good job attacking her samefaced allies.

Cressida and Canopus take down two of the Templars.

Way in the backfield, Catiua decides to do something.

Somehow that hits. Even though the attack animation is a good ten feet above him.

Another round from the crossbow twins. This time they go after Denam.

Lanselot jumps into the fray. He attacks Mirdyn, who is behind a pillar. Those pillars have been getting in the way this entire battle. Not gameplay-wise but screenshot-wise.

Okay Mirdyn has broken free. Now it's time to encircle Lanselot and go for the kill. Unfortunately, Denam can't get a hit in on him this turn.

Hobyrim has found himself a good hunting spot.

So did Arycelle.

Doomfunk goes back to using status magic and puts one of the few remaining Templars asleep.

But our charmed friend immediately wakes him up with a good wack to the head. He did sleep through his last turn and will be dead before his next. So it was worth it.

With Lanselot breathing down his neck, we heal up Denam so he doesn't die in one hit.

One of the archers undoes some of that healing.

Then, it's Lanselot's turn but it looks like Denam is going to survive this.

Nope. Did you forget Rending Gale hits twice? For a moment there I did.

It's no time to dwell on what is done. Let's hurry up and end this. First, Arycelle puts down our temporary ally. Sorry.

Lanselot has the next turn so reviving Denam right now would be pointless.

So Cake Attack, well, attacks.

Lanselot, on his next turn, goes after Hobyrim.

Hobyrim returns the favor.

Mirdyn moves into view and two hits later Lanselot is down to single digit HP.

You know what that means.

What!? And leave me here?

Lanselot your internal voice is kind of loud. We can all hear what you're thinking.

(And make ruling them a far more difficult proposition. No, we trust to Catiua... for now.)

Lans out.

Congratulations

The game then prompts us to save. It's like something important is going to happen. Also, ignore the date on the save data. My PSP doesn't understand how time works. Every time I turn it on I get to play the "What month is it now game." Right now it thinks it is February.

*We fade in on Denam entering a side room.*

It's rude and other people would like to enter the room to you know.

Do with you? I'm here to help you, sister.

I am not your sister. I am Versalia, rightful ruler of Valeria.

No, you will always be my sister.

We lived our whole lives together. One day you may be Queen of Valeria, but you will always be a sister to me, blood be damned!

A lie. What brother would abandon his sister as you did?

Alright. This is a big one. It might not seem like much but this choice is huge. Like that time we decide not to commit mass murder huge. That means it is up to all of you. What will Denam say to his sister. Will it be choice 1: " I never abandoned you," or will he take the more pragmatic approach of choice 2: "I did only what I had to do."

:siren:Voting will end Saturday at 7 pm est!:siren:

Helmet 10 Warehouse fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 4, 2015

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I love the firestorm animation. :allears:

Denam only did what he had to do, right? Right? Even though really Catiua walked out on him, I mean.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

This Denam was never a pragmatic person. He never just did what he had to do. And he never abandoned Catiua.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Girl, you get hit in the head? I never abandoned you, you abandoned me you big fat jerk.

• Locked thread