Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He would have to actively waste it to do that, though. I mean, if he bought 9 more of these in quick succession sure, that'd do it, but somehow I don't think Notch is that stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And on the plus side, it's going to be -hilarious- if he ever winds up broke in afew years from spending it all.

To spend a billion dollars takes $45,000 a day for 60-years (according to a previous post and verified by me with the almighty mac Calculator app)... It would take some incredible spending in order to go broke in just a couple years... the guy has probably $1.5 billion dollars all said and done.... just unfathomable money to us plebes.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Apex Rogers posted:

To spend a billion dollars takes $45,000 a day for 60-years (according to a previous post and verified by me with the almighty mac Calculator app)... It would take some incredible spending in order to go broke in just a couple years... the guy has probably $1.5 billion dollars all said and done.... just unfathomable money to us plebes.

It's doable, just become an angel investor in some of the truly lovely startups out there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CJacobs posted:

I say good for him, there is a very large quantity of people out there that think Notch is undeserving of that money because of Minecraft's simplicity but I disagree, I think he's a smart businessman and he earned that billion and a half. He did get very lucky and found a very good niche market but even despite that it would've taken very little to blow it and sink Mojang, and he didn't fall into any of those pits. I can only ever wish I had enough money to live comfortably like that.

Nah. There's no reason to think he's any kind of businessman or any kind of programmer. He just stumbled upon what turned out to be a multibillion dollar idea. It took a lot more work than winning the lottery, but not a great deal more talent.

The B_36 posted:

Notch has $1.5 billion dollars. $70million of that is 4.6% of his net worth - at a fairly conservative 5% yearly return on his investments, he could buy one of those houses every year forever and his money would still be growing each year. Don't worry guys, he'll be fine. The only way you lose all your money when you have that much is when you buy a business and it fails; Notch doesn't seem like the type to buy businesses. It's impossible to blow thru a billion and a half dollars with hookers and parties.

Two ways to lose that much money: Bad business deals and divorces.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Double Bill posted:

It's doable, just become an angel investor in some of the truly lovely startups out there.

If I was in his shoes (and had some retarded compulsion to "pay-it-back") I would become the angel/demon of Kickstarter, randomly and fully funding the worst game-related projects I could find.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'd build homeless shelters and stuff, but I guess that's just me. I mean I'd also do crazy stuff like buy a nice big house/abandoned missile silo and all, but most of it'd probably go towards improving communities and such.

I'm boring like that. :v:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If the homeless want homes so bad then why don't they just program a videogame and get bought out by Microsoft like the rest of us

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd build homeless shelters and stuff, but I guess that's just me. I mean I'd also do crazy stuff like buy a nice big house/abandoned missile silo and all, but most of it'd probably go towards improving communities and such.

You moron, you're never going to get wealthy with a helpful attitude and stack of good ideas like that.

e: How much does bribing lobbying a member of congress go for these days? Does Notch have like, change part of America money, or is he at that awkward phase where money's no longer real, but doing something really big is still way above his head?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Whalley posted:

You moron, you're never going to get wealthy with a helpful attitude and stack of good ideas like that.

e: How much does bribing lobbying a member of congress go for these days? Does Notch have like, change part of America money, or is he at that awkward phase where money's no longer real, but doing something really big is still way above his head?

Lobbying for something would take up all of Notch's fortune over the course of one year. That's how much money goes into lobbying stuff. Congress could quite literally feed and house all the homeless and poor in the US, but they won't because only communists and hippies do that, and if they want houses and food, they should get jobs and work for it and stop bothering congress and their piles of money :911:.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

UHC S19E06 is pretty boring across the board.

I like watching Baj's videos where he constantly worries over what to throw out of his inventory to make room, somehow constantly missing the red mushrooms and stone sword he's carrying around for no reason.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SugarAddict posted:

Lobbying for something would take up all of Notch's fortune over the course of one year. That's how much money goes into lobbying stuff. Congress could quite literally feed and house all the homeless and poor in the US, but they won't because only communists and hippies do that, and if they want houses and food, they should get jobs and work for it and stop bothering congress and their piles of money :911:.
Oh! Then I don't wanna get into that conversation, because that's way too depressing and I feel bad for bringing it up~

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fuego Fish posted:

I like watching Baj's videos where he constantly worries over what to throw out of his inventory to make room, somehow constantly missing the red mushrooms and stone sword he's carrying around for no reason.
Reminds me of the good old Yogscast days when they'd throw out like 12 iron ingots instead of either of the two separate sticks they had in their inventory.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vib Rib posted:

Reminds me of the good old Yogscast days when they'd throw out like 12 iron ingots instead of either of the two separate sticks they had in their inventory.

Watching Baj is kind of weird because apart from a vague scare early on, he hasn't met anyone at any point. Not so much as a whisper on the wind. If the Anderz/Avidya/Milbee group meet up with him, blue's got it in the bag.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Wait, so who was the mysterious person on the horse that MC and Seth saw a couple of episodes ago? That was a frustrating moment because it exemplifies the kind of mistakes we were talking about them making. So you are on a horse, and you see people who aren't. And they are busy. And you are in a team game with positional voice chat. Why would you run away before verifying that they are on your team?

Seth seemed convinced it was a teammate, so I am going to assume he was correct.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ToastyPotato posted:

Wait, so who was the mysterious person on the horse that MC and Seth saw a couple of episodes ago? That was a frustrating moment because it exemplifies the kind of mistakes we were talking about them making. So you are on a horse, and you see people who aren't. And they are busy. And you are in a team game with positional voice chat. Why would you run away before verifying that they are on your team?

Seth seemed convinced it was a teammate, so I am going to assume he was correct.

Pakratt

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Catching up with Seth, got to the point where he kills Coestar and then almost yelled at the screen when he decides to leave the nearly-new iron sword and pick behind in favour of the busted-rear end nearly-broke ones.

I guess I can't blame him too harshly given the stressful situation, but on the other hand yes, yes I can. He was doing so well with inventory management up until that point, too.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
Watching UHC is my favorite thing about minecraft, and it still hurts me to watch my favorite players fail utterly to manage inventory correctly. Why does everyone carry like three stacks of cobble and a stack of dirt and never dump that poo poo when they are trying to free up slots? Why is it that when someone gets a kill they don't instantly craft some chests and sort things in a small fraction of the time they spend tossing one item after another? Stuff like gold bars get left behind, and these ~professional video gamers~ run off with four different kinds of food in their inventories. Ow my stupid OCD guts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd build sweet-rear end public buildings and parks, play minecraft in real life.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fuego Fish posted:

Catching up with Seth, got to the point where he kills Coestar and then almost yelled at the screen when he decides to leave the nearly-new iron sword and pick behind in favour of the busted-rear end nearly-broke ones.

I guess I can't blame him too harshly given the stressful situation, but on the other hand yes, yes I can. He was doing so well with inventory management up until that point, too.

Seth is usually not that bad. In fact he's usually one of the best about inventory, but this time... I think he was seriously rattled by being alone for so long. It annoyed me, too, and he seriously just needed to take like, ten seconds to just breathe, settle his nerves, and then deal with inventory.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
My cows still escape their pen every time I leave and come back. :negative: How many patches is this going to continue for? I have never had this problem elsewhere. I am going to try ONE more thing to see if it fixes it.

Edit: I have been so numbed by the bad inventory management on these videos that Seth's video didn't even get a reaction out of me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

My cows still escape their pen every time I leave and come back. :negative: How many patches is this going to continue for? I have never had this problem elsewhere. I am going to try ONE more thing to see if it fixes it.

I just put my animals in a hole or a room with a regular door.

Hermsgervørden posted:

Watching UHC is my favorite thing about minecraft, and it still hurts me to watch my favorite players fail utterly to manage inventory correctly. Why does everyone carry like three stacks of cobble and a stack of dirt and never dump that poo poo when they are trying to free up slots? Why is it that when someone gets a kill they don't instantly craft some chests and sort things in a small fraction of the time they spend tossing one item after another? Stuff like gold bars get left behind, and these ~professional video gamers~ run off with four different kinds of food in their inventories. Ow my stupid OCD guts.

I think it was Coestar this season that was pretty self-aware of this, making bemused commentary about himself as he kept putting stacks of cobble into chests, calling it a "key strategy in UHC" or something like that.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

He even calls himself out on it with his post game text commentary. He clearly recognized who the players were, he just managed to convince himself that they weren't on his team. I'll be curious to see at what point in the live commentary he finally realizes his mistake.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think it was Coestar this season that was pretty self-aware of this, making bemused commentary about himself as he kept putting stacks of cobble into chests, calling it a "key strategy in UHC" or something like that.

Coe's commentary this season was the best because it was post-commentary due to his mic failing to record/broadcast. This bucket has wheels!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

ToastyPotato posted:

Edit: I have been so numbed by the bad inventory management on these videos that Seth's video didn't even get a reaction out of me.

Just a theory but maybe try putting the pen all in one chunk. Including the walls I mean.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This season of UHC could have really used a shrinking border or something. Nobody can find anybody now, friend or foe.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jamesman posted:

This season of UHC could have really used a shrinking border or something. Nobody can find anybody now, friend or foe.

The shrinking border can be a touch unfair sometimes, at least in my opinion, but it's true that they do need some way to get people closer together as the game progresses. Usually they just make a gentleman's agreement to head to 0,0 to end it all, but maybe if there were more obvious spots on the map for people to congregate, sites of interest that would draw players in, it could work out better.

Although considering every time anyone sees a village more than 5 minutes into the match their reaction is to run in the opposite direction for the rest of the episode, that seems like it'd be difficult.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
You realize its because they make their living off minecraft and dying in their most lucrative video series fucks with their money.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Fortune favours the bold.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In this case, however, fortune favors those who spend a million episodes in the series doing nothing because that's a million episodes people will click to give them money.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not as much as if they dare unfairly kill Guude or Etho.

Killing pakrat or the other smaller youtubers is fine and funny though, naturally

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"ultra hardcore" doesn't sem to be geared towards fairness :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or really anything to do with minecraft combat to be honest

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

You realize its because they make their living off minecraft and dying in their most lucrative video series fucks with their money.

Considering how much hype there was for the 'spectator mode' that never got used during the live UHC event, you'd think they would eventually find a way to roll that into the pre-recorded series to give the players who get eliminated a way to continue providing content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"What's up Youtubers this is JimButtBallsack and welcome to Let's Watch Minecraft UHC Part 17, part 3. You may remember I was eliminated in episode 2 of the series, well don't worry, in this next half hour or so you'll get MY perspective on what's currently happening in the UHC world. Looks like Popular Minecrafter 1 is mining some cobblestone so he can make more furnaces..... looks like Popular Minecrafter 2 is creating a bench right now..... according to my exclusive spectator mode stats, generic white guy in his mid-20s to early 30s #3 is only 40 km (Kraftmeters) away from 1 and 2! RIVETING STUFF."

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

"What's up Youtubers this is JimButtBallsack and welcome to Let's Watch Minecraft UHC Part 17, part 3. You may remember I was eliminated in episode 2 of the series, well don't worry, in this next half hour or so you'll get MY perspective on what's currently happening in the UHC world. Looks like Popular Minecrafter 1 is mining some cobblestone so he can make more furnaces..... looks like Popular Minecrafter 2 is creating a bench right now..... according to my exclusive spectator mode stats, generic white guy in his mid-20s to early 30s #3 is only 40 km (Kraftmeters) away from 1 and 2! RIVETING STUFF."

Like and Subscribe, it really helps me out!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Haha, basically. They might be able to make it interesting if they introduced some sort of afterlife mechanic though, like repawning them outside the wall, where they have to compete to build the biggest cobbledong or something.

I watched (skimmed) most of the interesting E07 PoVs, one ended on Vechz's teammates building a portal, one going through just as the ep ended and it being trapped, though he's not tried to cross the lava yet. Also, mcgamer and Seth met up with Anderz's crew, so there's now five of them together, should be able to steamroll the others.

CJacobs posted:

In this case, however, fortune favors those who spend a million episodes in the series doing nothing because that's a million episodes people will click to give them money.

You could make one really awesome edit of all the PoV's together (I've seen a few relatively short, half-assed ones) with a good narrator providing commentary, but yeah, there go all them views for the individual streamers.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

They ought to start UHC like 2-3 beers in to lower their give-a-poo poo, and have to drink another one for each teammate they lose.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
I'm feeling a touch nostalgic about minecraft right now just having re-watched the original Minecraft Interstate video (I'm pretty sure I found it in this thread) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asImTDkPWKA. What are the super nostalgic minecraft defining videos?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Old Yogscast stuff before it turned into an awkward extended RP session and it was just a couple of british guys dicking around.

Also that exact video holy poo poo.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I'm feeling a touch nostalgic about minecraft right now just having re-watched the original Minecraft Interstate video (I'm pretty sure I found it in this thread) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asImTDkPWKA. What are the super nostalgic minecraft defining videos?

I bought minecraft before the nether came out and things like fences were added. I feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

SugarAddict posted:

I bought minecraft before the nether came out and things like fences were added. I feel old.

:hfive: buddy I remember when there was no multiplayer and it was you versus a planet the size of Jupiter. I still think dogs and villagers are dumb.