Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

GigaPeon posted:

If Jay was afraid of Adnan, why would they be hanging out together all buddy buddy and making flirty phone calls to girls?

If he didn't play nice the West Side Hitman would get him :aaa:

I get the feeling that despite whether the core "Adnan did it" part of Jay's story is true or not, he's still a habitual liar and filling in parts he can't remember with bullshit/stuff the police "helped" him remember, which is what's throwing everything off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
The State's burden of proof is no longer applicable. "Innocent until proven guilty" applies until a jury says "guilty." After that, it's a lot harder to get someone out of jail. The same protections no longer apply, and the jury's verdict is given a lot of weight.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

It would be, if that was the evidence they convicted him with. They never used it, so that's not really applicable here.

But there was no "evidence" is my point. You have one guys word, and that guy knows where the car is. All that proves is that Jay was somehow involved. Personally, I think Adnan probably did it, but he should not have been convicted on the paper thin case they had.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

TheJoker138 posted:

But there was no "evidence" is my point. You have one guys word, and that guy knows where the car is. All that proves is that Jay was somehow involved. Personally, I think Adnan probably did it, but he should not have been convicted on the paper thin case they had.

It's a legal travesty for sure and I don't think anyone is arguing that. We're just stating the fact that it's a long shot that the DNA evidence exonerates Adnan.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shitshow posted:

It's a legal travesty for sure and I don't think anyone is arguing that. We're just stating the fact that it's a long shot that the DNA evidence exonerates Adnan.

It's honestly a long shot that there's any useful DNA evidence to begin with.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shitshow posted:

I think the reason the innocence project is doing it is because if a retrial is held, there being zero DNA evidence linking him to the crime will sound good to a jury.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
In case you were wondering what Hae was like - insofar as her lacrosse career is concerned - Deadspin/Lacrosse Magazine has you covered.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There is a TV interview with her, possibly the one actually mentioned as taking place that day, up on Youtube (posted by a local news channel a few weeks back).

Link

e: This is the same video that appears in the Deadspin story.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 20, 2014

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

JethroMcB posted:

In case you were wondering what Hae was like - insofar as her lacrosse career is concerned - Deadspin/Lacrosse Magazine has you covered.

That is a really good piece on Hae and anyone who followed Serial should read it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

All in all it was a great series. Though you have to admit when they found the diary, the last entry was pretty damning. "This man of mine may truly kill me."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I would not admit that, because if teenagers committed suicide or murder as often as they talked about it there would be like 5 teenagers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll admit it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, listening to this last episode, this whole thing strikes me as being kind of a waste of time. I never expected it to be solved, but ultimately if I look back at what I got out of listening to it, I didn't really learn anything significant, and in fact a lot about the format and Koenig's narration ended up bothering me.

Like, The Wire is fictional, but I feel like it says more about the failings of the justice system and the mentality of crime than this, and ignoring that, David Simon's Homicide: A Year On the Killing Streets is a far more in-depth and fascinating report on what actually goes on in investigations and trials in real life. This just ended up being a narrow and unfocused view of one case that, regardless of your expectations, still just kind of fizzled out.

What initially drew me to Serial was the way it neatly laid out each element of the case and applied logic and theory to it within the context of a "cast" of characters (and it's not an accident, the show's site even refers to them as characters and the overall story as a "plot"), but that feeling was quickly diluted and I just end up asking myself what the point was. I didn't really change my opinion of Adnan, and there wasn't anything other than him to really latch onto; none of the case's other elements went anywhere interesting. Maybe that was the point? Either way I didn't really enjoy pretty much the whole latter half of the season.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

I would not admit that, because if teenagers committed suicide or murder as often as they talked about it there would be like 5 teenagers.

It's a Gone Girl joke :ssh:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Hakkesshu posted:

Either way I didn't really enjoy pretty much the whole latter half of the season.

I think most people feel the same. The first four or five episodes were really good, but then the whole thing just kind of ran out of steam. The first few episodes felt very focused only for the later episodes to feel rambling and almost incoherent at times.

I plan to check out season 2 all the same. Since season 1 was to some extent a big experiment hopefully they learned from it and will improve.

207-563-5532
Oct 20, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Can someone explain why people are getting unhinged about my opinion of this podcast which others have echoed as well? And explain how writing the username an admin renamed me is relevant?

Its a millennial thing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
The millennial joke is super funny please don't stop doing it except do

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
SNL just had a dead on parody of this.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

There is just zero reason for Jay to have done it...

People keep saying this and it's wrong. Jay had a motive - Hae knew about him cheating on Stephanie. That's as strong a motive as Adnan being jealous.

Also in regards to the DNA - I've never been strangled to death, but I'm fairly certain it is not a passive death. Hae would have fought and in all likelihood may have scratched the murderer. What DNA they find under her nails and on her person is very important to exonerating Adnan. If it's not Adnan's it's a very safe bet to say he didn't kill her. And even if they don't get a match to the DNA, as long as it doesn't match his DNA, they have a very strong case he wasn't there, certainly that he wasn't the one who killed her.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The absence of Adnan's DNA does not prove he was not there - it only really shows they did not have sex that day. The presence of someone else's dna would be substantial, absence no.

Also, you know, the world is not CSI, people who commit crimes don't leave semen everywhere, most convictions are not made on the basis of forensic analysis.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bad day posted:

The absence of Adnan's DNA does not prove he was not there - it only really shows they did not have sex that day. The presence of someone else's dna would be substantial, absence no.

Also, you know, the world is not CSI, people who commit crimes don't leave semen everywhere, most convictions are not made on the basis of forensic analysis.

There's more DNA than just semen, and why would semen be under her fingernails even if they did have sex?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Tell me how to discuss things like an adult, fourms user African AIDS cum

TheJoker138 posted:

Watch out, bro. If you keep making fun of him he'll look at your post history and make fun of the other threads you post in.

ahaha is this loving real

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Oh, sorry, MengeleColonExperiments, I don't understand why you're so disgusted at me replacing baby jesus in the nativity scene with a small hand rounded turd in the nativity tur dthread? why are you even posting here if you hate it so much? Mengele Colon Experiments? Please teach me how to not get antsy when someone criticizes my fecal liturgy, Mengele C Experiments?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

TheJoker138 posted:

There's more DNA than just semen, and why would semen be under her fingernails even if they did have sex?

There is no "skin under the fingernails" - the PERK (physical evidence recovery kit) that they are testing is a rape kit, which was not originally tested because there was no evidence of sexual assault.

This was mentioned on the show. I think, if anything, the Internet discussion over Serial demonstrates that most people are really bad at listening or reading comprehension.

Again, no skin was found, no DNA, no evidence whatsoever that would prompt an expensive and time consuming DNA test. Which is why they never tested the PERK - if you have a guy telling you who did it, where the victims car is, that he helped bury the body, you are not going to spend the time and money on an offhand chance someone else's DNA might show up in a vaginal swab.

If you want to make an informed theory about the murder itself - too much time passed between the murder and recovery of the body to work out exactly how it happened, but it looks like someone slammed her head into something, then strangled her. Also the turn signal lever was broken off, showing something of a struggle, but there is no evidence the perpetrator was clawed or wounded in the attack.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
(Double Post, sorry)

bad day fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 21, 2014

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Also it's likely that Hae had consensual sex with Don within 14 hours of her death, not sure how that factors in.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Anyway, my best explanation for what happened is that Adnan bought some crack in downtown Baltimore the night before, finally reaching Hae on the way home. Who just got home from banging Don, flush with the thrill of infatuation. Her body is full of chemicals telling her she loves Don now. She says this much to Adnan, which makes him really hurt and angry.

The next day Adnan and Jay hang out and smoke crack, then drive back to downtown B-More to buy more. At some point Adnan goes back to school, full of urgency and sincerity. He meets Hae in the library parking lot. He's acting weird, she's not into him anymore, maybe he scares her. She says something and he slams her head into the dash. Maybe she's knocked out, he strangles her, stuffs her body down on the floorboards, and goes to look for Jay. Everything else proceeds like Jay's friends say.

I'm not saying this is true. It's just, to me, this is the only scenario that really makes sense. It also fits the erratic nature of the crime, inability to account for events, and why both Jay and Adnan are (were) lying.

I mean, they're not on junk. And 1990s B-More street dealers didn't sell anything more exotic than coke/dope/weed/rock. And it's not like a junkie on the nod is gonna go around murdering people.

So they were on crack. Probably the only drug people would never publicly fess up to, even though it's just cocaine really. If you are familiar with coke people, nothing about Jay or Adnan's behavior seems out of the ordinary.

bad day fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 21, 2014

Vain
Aug 1, 2005

bad day posted:

There is no "skin under the fingernails" - the PERK (physical evidence recovery kit) that they are testing is a rape kit, which was not originally tested because there was no evidence of sexual assault.

This was mentioned on the show. I think, if anything, the Internet discussion over Serial demonstrates that most people are really bad at listening or reading comprehension.

I think people's reading comprehension is fine.

Sarah Koenig posted:

Enright and her students have a motion in the works to test the DNA from Adnan’s case that wasn’t tested. The PERK kit, that’s the swabs from Hae’s body, the material from under her fingernails, the hairs found on her body.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
But you are assuming they found physical DNA evidence, which they most likely did not. Just because they swabbed her body as a matter of procedure doesn't mean there is anything whatsoever to be found in the untested kits some 15 years later, or that there ever was. My initial response was to the assumption that there was any DNA under Hae's fingernails other than her own boogers.

bad day fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 21, 2014

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bad day posted:

But you are assuming they found physical DNA evidence, which they most likely did not. Just because they swabbed her body as a matter of procedure doesn't mean there is anything whatsoever to be found in the untested kits some 15 years later, or that there ever was. My initial response was to the assumption that there was any DNA under Hae's fingernails other than her own boogers.

Dude, there's nothing wrong with admitting you were mistaken and apologising.

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
I'm not assuming anything, it's you that stated no dna was found, before the PERK kit, fingernails and hair has even been tested.

Vain fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 21, 2014

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

bad day posted:

Anyway, my best explanation for what happened is that Adnan bought some crack in downtown Baltimore the night before, finally reaching Hae on the way home. Who just got home from banging Don, flush with the thrill of infatuation. Her body is full of chemicals telling her she loves Don now. She says this much to Adnan, which makes him really hurt and angry.

The next day Adnan and Jay hang out and smoke crack, then drive back to downtown B-More to buy more. At some point Adnan goes back to school, full of urgency and sincerity. He meets Hae in the library parking lot. He's acting weird, she's not into him anymore, maybe he scares her. She says something and he slams her head into the dash. Maybe she's knocked out, he strangles her, stuffs her body down on the floorboards, and goes to look for Jay. Everything else proceeds like Jay's friends say.

I'm not saying this is true. It's just, to me, this is the only scenario that really makes sense. It also fits the erratic nature of the crime, inability to account for events, and why both Jay and Adnan are (were) lying.

I mean, they're not on junk. And 1990s B-More street dealers didn't sell anything more exotic than coke/dope/weed/rock. And it's not like a junkie on the nod is gonna go around murdering people.

So they were on crack. Probably the only drug people would never publicly fess up to, even though it's just cocaine really. If you are familiar with coke people, nothing about Jay or Adnan's behavior seems out of the ordinary.

This is my new favorite theory lmao

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

This is my new favorite theory lmao

I can't even tell you how many times I've gotten into trouble thanks to my body being flush with thrilling chemicals of infatuation

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XpS6mIZfI
Here's the SNL sketch, I didn't think it was very funny, some of the impressions are well done though

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Were you ever a teenager? You know what i mean. She was head over heels for Don and just got home from banging him, then wrote a gushing entry in her diary. At which point Adnan called her, and they talked for two minutes. Given the circumstances what do you think they talked about?

But I dunno, maybe you didn't get laid as a teen, and spent all your time masturbating to Zelda games or whatever. Perhaps you aren't familiar with the primal rush of two nubile teenage bodies mashed against each other, and the sweatiness and feelings that inevitably ensue. In any case, it's not my place to tell you these things, I'm sorry that your parents failed you.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
That SNL thing was adorable :3:

Lmao the Nisha Call

radlum
May 13, 2013

Hat Thoughts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9XpS6mIZfI
Here's the SNL sketch, I didn't think it was very funny, some of the impressions are well done though

My favorite part was the reference to Miracle in 34th Street and the impression of the lawyer; the rest was OK.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bad day posted:

But I dunno, maybe you didn't get laid as a teen, and spent all your time masturbating to Zelda games or whatever. Perhaps you aren't familiar with the primal rush of two nubile teenage bodies mashed against each other, and the sweatiness and feelings that inevitably ensue. In any case, it's not my place to tell you these things, I'm sorry that your parents failed you.

You're my new favorite poster. The bolded part is the creepiest poo poo I've ever read on these forums, and I've read Aatrek's posts.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

radlum posted:

My favorite part was the reference to Miracle in 34th Street and the impression of the lawyer; the rest was OK.

Let's link the actual video not some crappy re-upload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATXbJjuZqbc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Let's not, remove your link, remove your link!!!!!

• Locked thread