Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Twitch posted:

Then in Shinji Mikami's next game, God Hand, Gene never goes up or down ladders.

Seriously, if you haven't played God Hand, whenever you press the prompt to climb a ladder, Gene just jumps up the entire length. God Hand is basically Resident Evil 4 but a beat-em-up, and is full of just as many awesome little things.

In The Evil Within, you do get an animation to go up/down ladders, but there's no fall damage penalty if you just drop off the ladder and fall, even from heights that look like they'd be fatal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure there's no falldamage in the game at all actually (if there is, it's very light unless the fall is straight up lethal). If you fall from a SUPER high place while moving, the main character just rolls back to his feet because he's a badass detective cop man.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edmond Dantes posted:

They do say "cerebros": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzvnl-noW2A&t=29s at 29 seconds, and they say "cogeDlo", no "cojerlo", I mentioned both a bit higher in the page.

Spanish is my native language and it just doesn't sound like cerebros to me, the pronunciation is all off.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Alteisen posted:

Spanish is my native language and it just doesn't sound like cerebros to me, the pronunciation is all off.

Mine as well, maybe it's an accent thing, but I just looked up another sound clip and I'm pretty sure it's "cerebros" (you can hear the s at the end of the last time they say it).

Speaking of sound and guns, I don't know if it counts as a "little thing" since it's part of the core gameplay, but I love how guns feel in RAGE. A lot of people have issues with the game (most of them perfectly understandable), but the guns are amazing. Kill a guy who's running towards you, and he'll keep moving forward on inertia while he's going down; shoot a dude on the leg with a shotty and they'll do a wicked flip because of the sheer force of the blast.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mine as well, maybe it's an accent thing, but I just looked up another sound clip and I'm pretty sure it's "cerebros" (you can hear the s at the end of the last time they say it).

Speaking of sound and guns, I don't know if it counts as a "little thing" since it's part of the core gameplay, but I love how guns feel in RAGE. A lot of people have issues with the game (most of them perfectly understandable), but the guns are amazing. Kill a guy who's running towards you, and he'll keep moving forward on inertia while he's going down; shoot a dude on the leg with a shotty and they'll do a wicked flip because of the sheer force of the blast.

Rage would have been one of the best shooters in years if it was all just going through levels shooting dudes. Unfortunately iD overthought the game to a ridiculous degree and made it awful.

The boomerang things were fun as hell to use.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
So plague Inc just patched in a very special holiday scenario.

Adorable :3:

E: Oh man, the scenerio itself is even better.

Sardonik has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Dec 19, 2014

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Chard posted:

You might also like RE: Umbrella Chronicles, it's a straight-up light gun game for the Wii that was an absolute blast to play.

This game is fun but it gets way better with 2p coop. You WILL laugh at each other for loving up QTE's though.

Edit: the knife mechanic is largely useless but is still a blast and hilarious, especially with two people.

WHUPWHUPWHUPWHUPWHUPWHUP

Samfucius has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Dec 19, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Twitch posted:

The boomerang things were fun as hell to use.
I have one of those 'Wingstick' toys, they're pretty cool. If I can find it I'll post a photo.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Whoolighams posted:

When I first played I always sold my flash grenades like a moron because OH FLASH GRENADES JUST STUN poo poo gently caress THAT

Replaying the PC HD version made me see the truth behind those sweet, sweet blue bastards

Also worth mention is that in Mercenary mode Krauser's melee attacks are all tremendously lethal and can kill collaterally so the flash grenades he's showered in make for turning any given stage into an abattoir.

Edit: that and that recharging arm mutation attack of his will instakill a group of ANYTHING, boss creatures included.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sad lions posted:

Also worth mention is that in Mercenary mode Krauser's melee attacks are all tremendously lethal and can kill collaterally so the flash grenades he's showered in make for turning any given stage into an abattoir.

Edit: that and that recharging arm mutation attack of his will instakill a group of ANYTHING, boss creatures included.

While I love a lot of things about RE4, Mercenaries mode is my all-time favourite. I always wondered if the dock level was based off of the huge amount of cut content from the game. Does anyone know?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
While we're on Resident Evil 4, there's a jump-scare towards the end where a burning Ganado runs at you from inside a furnace. Afterwards, you'll get the option to examine the furnace, where Leon will wonder "what was he doing in there?"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Waiting, obviously.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I would say what makes RE4 nice is the variations on reloading the pistols, esp. the Red9 and the Broken Butterfly.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I love that in the Krauser fight the knife dies way more damage to him than anything else. I love that section even if it is a bit Jerry Sandusky with Krauser slowly undressing and cooing "goooooood, Leon"

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

My favorite gun-thing in the game is the Punisher, an FN Five-seveN. A factoid about the proprietary 5.7mm cartridge having such a blistering muzzle velocity that it defeats kevlar much better than usual was half-remembered into "it just punches through dudes and keeps going!!".

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
I could listen to Nightmare's voice all day in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Or Corypheus'. Really, the VA work for both characters is top notch.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rampant Dwickery posted:

I could listen to Nightmare's voice all day in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Or Corypheus'. Really, the VA work for both characters is top notch.

I picked the Illuminati ending to Deus Ex just so I could listen to Morgan Everett some more.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I've been replaying METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE thanks to the Steam sale and, even though there's no indication that it will work, when Metal Gear Ray tries to stomp on you in the tutorial level you can parry the stomp which lets you skip entire stages of the fight since parrying immediately lets you jump into Zandatsu mode and slice off some armor.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I've been replaying METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE thanks to the Steam sale and, even though there's no indication that it will work, when Metal Gear Ray tries to stomp on you in the tutorial level you can parry the stomp which lets you skip entire stages of the fight since parrying immediately lets you jump into Zandatsu mode and slice off some armor.

You can also parry the tail swipe. I won't say what you can do afterwards, but maybe you should try it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not that I don't want another 12 pages of Resident Evil 4 chat (I genuinely do), but I just remembered a thing I love about Mass Effect 2. Whenever you talk to Legion, since he's way down near the ship's engine, you hear a low, quiet drone during the conversation. I find it REALLY suits any discussion you have with him, especially when you ask him why he was wearing your N7 armour, and he can't think of anything to say besides 'No data available' (or something similar.) With the drone sound in the background, it's almost like the perfect score composed for that moment.

Creepy, but also perfect.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A little thing I liked in Spelunky that returned in the HD version: There are monkey enemies that don't hurt you, but jump on your back and cause your controls to wig out before they hop off, which knocks you over and drops a live bomb from your stock. In Spelunky you can toss ropes upward, and if you toss up a rope while a monkey is on your back it'll kill it because the monkey is on top of you. I thought that was kinda neat.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

A little thing I liked in Spelunky that returned in the HD version: There are monkey enemies that don't hurt you, but jump on your back and cause your controls to wig out before they hop off, which knocks you over and drops a live bomb from your stock. In Spelunky you can toss ropes upward, and if you toss up a rope while a monkey is on your back it'll kill it because the monkey is on top of you. I thought that was kinda neat.

It can also kill your friend if you throw a rope up when they're jumping above you!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edmond Dantes posted:

You can also parry the tail swipe. I won't say what you can do afterwards, but maybe you should try it.

I'm too lazy to try and relearn how to play MGR just to see what this is. Care to spoil it?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Len posted:

I'm too lazy to try and relearn how to play MGR just to see what this is. Care to spoil it?

You get a QTE to slice the tail off. There's an achievement for it. Not sure why it's a spoiler, but it seems it is.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Eh, it wasn't spoiler material, but it's a cool little thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmPa2RwAa4&t=1023s
17:02 if you want to see it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
There's a Ganado that really likes Leon's jacket, he can be found wearing it in Ada's scenario.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 03:27 on Dec 20, 2014

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

scarycave posted:

There's a Ganado that really likes Leon's jacket, he can be found wearing it in Ada's scenario.

I wish you could wear that jacket the whole game. In a category I'm surprised existed it is my favorite video game jacket ever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Olaf The Stout posted:

I wish you could wear that jacket the whole game. In a category I'm surprised existed it is my favorite video game jacket ever.

For me the honor of "best cool jacket that you can't wear for the whole game" belongs to Isaac Clarke.

Look at that cool-rear end spacejacket. drat, man.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Olaf The Stout posted:

What, do you hate anime boyZ too much to admit that Dante has the best coat?

Actually, I remember a huge collectors edition of RE4 that had the jacket.
I didn't buy it because it was probably faux leather and poorly made.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Travis touchdown has the best jacket. It's almost cool enough to make you forget about the pedophile t-shirt.

Er, I mean moe~.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Screaming Idiot posted:

Travis touchdown has the best jacket. It's almost cool enough to make you forget about the pedophile t-shirt.

Er, I mean moe~.

She's actually a 200-yeard old vampire
:goonsay:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows may have been a pointless cash-in that tried to awkwardly combine Harry Potter with Gears of War combat but it did have some pretty rad hoodie physics.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I would be all over Harry Potter games made more in line with Bully but it just wasn't to be.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I remember some of the older Harry Potter playstation (PS2?) games were like that? I have no idea if they were good or not, I just knew one of my friends had it.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You can parry pretty much any attack that doesn't flash yellow beforehand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Actually, I remember a huge collectors edition of RE4 that had the jacket.
I didn't buy it because it was probably faux leather and poorly made.

The real reason you didn't buy it is because for the roughly $1,200 USD they were asking for RE6 collectors edition with jacket you weren't buying his RE4 jacket but his RE6 jacket.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's not a thing "in" a game, but when I preordered Infamous 2, I got a courier backpack like Cole's, and it's been a drat fine backpack. I've used it for four years now and it's not wearing out or anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Barudak posted:

The real reason you didn't buy it is because for the roughly $1,200 USD they were asking for RE6 collectors edition with jacket you weren't buying his RE4 jacket but his RE6 jacket.

Oh.
Well thank god for that!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Olaf The Stout posted:

Ulysses' Duster. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I got Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death on Steam. It's a poor-man's God of War clone. I'm not done, but I hear it's about a 4-hour campaign if you're going at a good clip.

It's got some polish problems, and it's not original in any way, but it's totally a serviceable GoW game. There are combos, and magics, and different weapons, all of which you can upgrade, as per usual. It's not the cleverest game with its satire, but it's constantly making fun of the genre - eg. if you have to run through this crazy manufacturing plant, the moving parts will have no discernible purpose, and Marlow will, you know, comment about that and be pissed about it. Things are collapsing and exploding constantly with no apparent cause.

I dunno, it's just a sweet little package. It's totally worth the $5 it normally is, but it's on sale for 99¢ USD right now, so you should by it, definitely. I'm probably let-down, and then impressed, back and forth in equal amounts.

EDIT: I have a question. I missed playing any of the Devil May Cry games. Of the ones on steam is there any must-have or must-avoid? I'm interested in getting something as close to bayonetta or MGS Rising or Godhand as possible. I just don't know how to approach looking for it.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 09:36 on Dec 20, 2014