Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Ulysses' Duster. :colbert:

Lonesome Road's "box" art has what I guess was an early version of Ulysses' Duster, which was the duster itself worn over a polo shirt with rolled-up sleeves.

A mod re-creates that version by combining Joshua Graham's Armor with Ulysses' Duster, and it is hands-down the coolest armor I've seen in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Lavender posted:

EDIT: I have a question. I missed playing any of the Devil May Cry games. Of the ones on steam is there any must-have or must-avoid? I'm interested in getting something as close to bayonetta or MGS Rising or Godhand as possible. I just don't know how to approach looking for it.

DMC4 is the one to get sine the PC version is the definitive one , at least until the Special edition that was just announced comes out(not announced for PC though).
DMC3 is a pretty bad port, though I think some modders have made it a bit better. You can't rebind a controller and it doesn't really play nice with a 360 controller, though if you have a lot of patience and an external way of rebinding the controller it might work, easier to emulate the ps2 version.
DmC is a different kind of game.
So if you want something like Rising/ Bayonetta and is limited to steam buy DMC4.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

scarycave posted:

There's a Ganado that really likes Leon's jacket, he can be found wearing it in Ada's scenario.

Holy poo poo, which one?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, which one?

He's in the village during Ada's first mission. He's pretty easy to spot and you can even examine his body afterwards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I really love that they let you examine his body. Like, it's a little thing within a little thing.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Devil May Cry 4 is the good one. 3 has an awful port and DMC isn't really a Devil May Cry game.

edit: beaten

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Devil May Cry 4 is the good one. 3 has an awful port and DMC isn't really a Devil May Cry game.

edit: beaten

Note that there's a Definitive Edition coming out for DmC next year with ostensibly a lot of tweaks and bonus content to make it feel more like the old games. Probably worth buying, IMO!

DMC4 is also coming out with a new-gen Special Edition, and it is likely that they'll be adding DMC3 Vergil into the game as a playable character (loving yes)

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Hel posted:

DMC4 is the one to get sine the PC version is the definitive one , at least until the Special edition that was just announced comes out(not announced for PC though).
So if you want something like Rising/ Bayonetta and is limited to steam buy DMC4.

Ah! Thanks so much. I knew I had heard that they were all over the map.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Byzantine posted:

It's not a thing "in" a game, but when I preordered Infamous 2, I got a courier backpack like Cole's, and it's been a drat fine backpack. I've used it for four years now and it's not wearing out or anything.

I bought a Gears of War 2 XB360 bundle back in the day. I played the game for about an hour, but the bundled umbrella is still in top-notch shape.

Content:

Most of the Elite: Dangeous UI is first person. If you navigate, ask for docking clearance or fiddle with your ship settings, your avatar will just look at the side screens and the ship will keep flying in the meantime.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 had exit wounds, made shooting people feel way more visceral. For some reason the wounds in GTAV are very weak looking. Wish games would do more with that, or just generally more body deformation, and I don't mean Fallout 3 style limbs separating and sliding off of bodies like they were stitched together.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Captain Lavender posted:

Ah! Thanks so much. I knew I had heard that they were all over the map.

DMC3 is still a fantastic game, but you absolutely have to get the console version if you get it at all (The Special Edition version is best here). I think most people would agree that it's where the series really found its identity, both gameplay- and personality-wise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JebanyPedal posted:

Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 had exit wounds, made shooting people feel way more visceral. For some reason the wounds in GTAV are very weak looking. Wish games would do more with that, or just generally more body deformation, and I don't mean Fallout 3 style limbs separating and sliding off of bodies like they were stitched together.

Yeah, Max Payne 3's corpsephysics and wounds really made the combat feel extremely brutal. God, I would play the poo poo out of that game again if it wasn't a 35 GB download and had the whole cutscene issue.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm playing AC4: Black Flag right now and there's a lot of little things that make the game feel really immersive like the Sea Shanties. I also like how the game tries to keep continuity as much as possible; when you dock a ship you don't enter a cutscene and have your character walk off the ship, you actually sail your ship up to the dock, your character lets go of the wheel and then you get off the ship. And if you gently caress up you land in the water and have to swim to shore.

Same thing with ship battles/boarding. You can swing across on a rope like in a traditional boarding action, or you can have your ship ram it head-on and then leap off your ship's bowsprit (I had to look that up) and do an air assassination on a guy.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Same thing with ship battles/boarding. You can swing across on a rope like in a traditional boarding action, or you can have your ship ram it head-on and then leap off your ship's bowsprit (I had to look that up) and do an air assassination on a guy.

The best part of swinging across is you can totally whiff it and completely miss the ship.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

First time I did that I felt like such a loving bad rear end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just bought Wolfenstein: The New Order, and a little INTERNAL thing I really appreciate is that the game takes advantage of all of the cores of my processor and all of the ram I have to spare on it. All too often I'll get a game that's running way crappier than it should be for my fairly beefy PC, and I'll look in the task manager and see that it's barely utilizing any ram or any of my cpu and I have to either force it to or deal with subpar performance. Wolfenstein TNO does not have that problem.

As for an actual little thing though, I liked that the game's introduction takes place in the 40s and there are entirely different guns with their own entries in the game's collection menu thing. They're the same basic idea; pistol, submachine gun, shotgun, etc. but they have different stats and look more futuristic after the time skip which was neat.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Dec 21, 2014

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Most games are GPU-bound. They're not pegging your CPU because it's your video card that's the limiting factor.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Gunpoint got brought up in the Ludonarrative Dissonance thread and it reminded me of one of the neat little things (amongst the many neat little things) the developer did. You can point out the dissonance in game by saying that you may have killed more people than you actually avenged in the course of the story... but if you manage to kill no more than 2 people through the entire game that line doesn't even pop up - because you haven't actually killed enough people for there to be a dissonance.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pingcode posted:

Gunpoint got brought up in the Ludonarrative Dissonance thread and it reminded me of one of the neat little things (amongst the many neat little things) the developer did. You can point out the dissonance in game by saying that you may have killed more people than you actually avenged in the course of the story... but if you manage to kill no more than 2 people through the entire game that line doesn't even pop up - because you haven't actually killed enough people for there to be a dissonance.

The achievement name for that is pretty great too.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
This was mentioned in the current LP of the Digital Devil Saga series. In the first game, there's a superboss battle with the main character from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. He's equipped with some fairly strong skill and demon allies he'd have in that game, and is notoriously difficult. The game acts as though he has the Masakados item equipped, which will block all physical and elemental attacks against him. However, he can still be hit with earth and gun attacks, because those didn't exist in the game he game from.

The random battle theme from Nocturne also plays during the fight, to show that to his eyes, you're just a random encounter. He accordingly holds back, not blowing his resources, and will only use mid-power skills on your party (those still hurt a fuckton). If you do anything to aggravate him, like nulling an element, he'll do what a Nocturne player would do, and whip out a panic button skill that annihilates you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gamma Nerd posted:

This was mentioned in the current LP of the Digital Devil Saga series. In the first game, there's a superboss battle with the main character from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. He's equipped with some fairly strong skill and demon allies he'd have in that game, and is notoriously difficult. The game acts as though he has the Masakados item equipped, which will block all physical and elemental attacks against him. However, he can still be hit with earth and gun attacks, because those didn't exist in the game he game from.

The random battle theme from Nocturne also plays during the fight, to show that to his eyes, you're just a random encounter. He accordingly holds back, not blowing his resources, and will only use mid-power skills on your party (those still hurt a fuckton). If you do anything to aggravate him, like nulling an element, he'll do what a Nocturne player would do, and whip out a panic button skill that annihilates you.

Speaking of Nocturne and cameos from other games, Dante from DMC appears in Nocturne. He features in the story and is even recruitable. He cannot be fused because he isn't actually the same kind of demon as all the rest and his moveset is unique and based on his abilities in his own game, including the ability to survive any attack with 1 HP remaining (technically he auto-revives). And one of his best moves from DMC, Stinger, deals great damage and can even insta-kill. Awesome.

In return for featuring Dante in SMT, Kazuma Kaneko did the designs for the Devil Triggers in DMC3 and they are gorgeous.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Who What Now posted:

Speaking of Nocturne and cameos from other games, Dante from DMC appears in Nocturne. He features in the story and is even recruitable. He cannot be fused because he isn't actually the same kind of demon as all the rest and his moveset is unique and based on his abilities in his own game, including the ability to survive any attack with 1 HP remaining (technically he auto-revives). And one of his best moves from DMC, Stinger, deals great damage and can even insta-kill. Awesome.

In return for featuring Dante in SMT, Kazuma Kaneko did the designs for the Devil Triggers in DMC3 and they are gorgeous.

They only got to use Dante for the one release of Nocturne, so when it got re-released later on (I believe only in Japan), Dante was replaced with Raidou Kuzunoha. Raidou's pretty much just Dante with new move names and animations in battle, but they do have entirely new cutscenes. Raidou's completely silent in all of them, because he's a silent protagonist in his own games.

Dante doe have a really clever little thing I like, though. The cutscene in which he actually joins you comes down to a coin flip; either you buy his services for an exorbitant amount of money, or for one Macca, depending on if you call the flip right.

Dante has a double-headed coin. Nocturne doesn't tell you that, but the DMC games do.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I've been playing some Elite: Dangerous, and I've discovered a little thing on top of a little thing. The little thing is that, when you use your discovery scanner (something that sweeps your area of space looking for planets and stuff you can get close to and do a detailed scan of for more spacebucks), it makes a foghorn noise not unlike the Inception horn.

The little thing on top of that is, as you charge said scanner, the game sound and music get more and more muted, fading away into total silence... just in time for HOOOOOOOOOOOORN It's a lovely bit of sound design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have now finished Wolfenstein: The New Order and it is a very good game. One thing I liked was the way it handled an incredibly long-lasting choice early on. Even though the game's been out for a while, I'll spoiler tag it because it went on sale on Steam and sales mean new buyers: Early on in the game, you and your war buddies are captured by Deathshead, the antagonist, and are held down at gunpoint by his supersoldiers. Being the sick, twisted man he is, Deathshead tells you to choose one of your comrades to be dissected by him right in front of you. Eventually he will kill all of you, but he wants to set an example. So, you can either choose long-time war buddy Fergus, or new blood Pvt. Wyatt, and the game actually creates two separate timelines depending on what you choose to do. It doesn't change anything plot-wise, or at least, not as far as I have played, but there are a number of gameplay alterations (each character gives you a different perk, like the ability to pick locks or hack electronic number pads) and the character development goes in a different direction for both of them. What I thought was particularly well done about it was that you can replay the game from the chapter select after you've beaten it, and you can see what the chapter is like in the other timeline if you so choose.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gamma Nerd posted:

Just to further how much of a gently caress-you this is; going in with anything that nullifies an element, even passively, will prompt the Demifiend to pop Gaia Rage, which does 9999 straight damage. Your max HP tops out at 999.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just to further how much of a gently caress-you this is; going in with anything that nullifies an element, even passively, will prompt the Demifiend to pop Gaia Rage, which does 9999 straight damage. Your max HP tops out at 999.

Amusingly, Gaea Rage isn't hard-coded to do 9999 damage, which means if you're hit with a defence-weakening ability and then get hit by it, it can exceed 12000.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Last of Us, for all it's faults, is a video game that: does not play an annoying sound, turn the screen black, or mute the music when you get low on health. The worst you get is a bit of red coloring on the edge of the screen.

It works on healthpacks instead of regenerating health though so that may be why.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
As someone who complained about Bonnie's teleportation in the first Five Nights At Freddy's, I really appreciate how in the second one the robots all follow actual paths through the building.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Amusingly, Gaea Rage isn't hard-coded to do 9999 damage, which means if you're hit with a defence-weakening ability and then get hit by it, it can exceed 12000.

Nope! :eng101: There are two versions. One is auto-9999 and is the scripted counter to all "unacceptable" abilities. The other triggers every time Pixie or Parvati is summoned, and does ~8000 without any buffs or debuffs active.

You're just as dead either way, of course.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

If this SMT guy is scripted to one-shot you as a panic attack, what's stopping him from using it when he gets low on health?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

If this SMT guy is scripted to one-shot you as a panic attack, what's stopping him from using it when he gets low on health?

If you want to have some lore excuse, it's more of an :effort: attack, really - he can't be bothered to cycle through your invulnerabilities, so he uses the attack that's can't be voided.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

Nothing. The entire fight is a deliberate gently caress-you for even having the gall to attempt it. To even have a shot at beating him, you need your entire party at level 100. And even then you're gonna get your poo poo kicked in.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So does he use it when he's low on health? That's really the main thing I'm asking here. The impression I get is he only uses it when he's scared. I'm totally down with an unbeatable fight that has that much little details behind it but it just seems a little weird to be that he has a big gently caress-off attack that he wouldn't use if he's about to die.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kaubocks posted:

So does he use it when he's low on health? That's really the main thing I'm asking here. The impression I get is he only uses it when he's scared. I'm totally down with an unbeatable fight that has that much little details behind it but it just seems a little weird to be that he has a big gently caress-off attack that he wouldn't use if he's about to die.

He'll use a variant of it throughout the fight, but the variant can be survived through various means (namely one of the adds casts a debuff and anyone with the debuff on them will survive). He'll only cast the guaranteed :fuckoff: version if you're immune to something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kaubocks posted:

With SMT superbosses I've just started imagining they just want to show off their cool moves but if you stop them they get really pissed and murder you for not being a good sport.

I probably wouldn't have defeated Matador and White Rider in SMT4 if they used 5 Antichthons a round.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

I have now finished Wolfenstein: The New Order and it is a very good game. One thing I liked was the way it handled an incredibly long-lasting choice early on. Even though the game's been out for a while, I'll spoiler tag it because it went on sale on Steam and sales mean new buyers: Early on in the game, you and your war buddies are captured by Deathshead, the antagonist, and are held down at gunpoint by his supersoldiers. Being the sick, twisted man he is, Deathshead tells you to choose one of your comrades to be dissected by him right in front of you. Eventually he will kill all of you, but he wants to set an example. So, you can either choose long-time war buddy Fergus, or new blood Pvt. Wyatt, and the game actually creates two separate timelines depending on what you choose to do. It doesn't change anything plot-wise, or at least, not as far as I have played, but there are a number of gameplay alterations (each character gives you a different perk, like the ability to pick locks or hack electronic number pads) and the character development goes in a different direction for both of them. What I thought was particularly well done about it was that you can replay the game from the chapter select after you've beaten it, and you can see what the chapter is like in the other timeline if you so choose.

Going to put this whole thing in spoilers I guess:

The best part about it is that there isn't really a "right" choice to make. If you save the older guy he spends all his time telling you that he was old enough to be ready for death and being depressed in his room. If you save the younger guy he spends all his time telling you that he's a useless rookie and you would have been better off saving the older guy because of his experience. Either way you go you'll end up with a depressed ally telling you that he should have been the one to die. Also I think the only functional difference between saving the two was whether or not the lock picking mini game thing took the form of safe cracking or hot wiring a thing. I don't think it actually changed what the rewards were, though I might be mistaken about that.

My favorite little thing about the game was that you could go to sleep upstairs in your home base and enter the oldschool Wolfenstein game while still maintaining your current-gen gun model and everything. I don't know if there's anything past the first level since I died on it, but it was a good easter egg.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It doesn't change the collectibles themselves but it does change the location of them a bit, since the hotwiring and lockpicking boxes are not always found in the same places. And no, there is no second classic Wolfenstein level, but all the easter eggs and secrets that were in the original game return in the nightmare (secret walls, the hidden exit, etc.).

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Well, Gaea Rage is a cast from HP attack, it'd be too risky to use it recklessly if he were low on health :v:

The superboss in the sequel does have a dick move every time he's about to die (under 5% HP): he heals to full. Every single time. You have to deplete his last bit of health before he can act.

Gamma Nerd has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Dec 22, 2014

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

It doesn't change the collectibles themselves but it does change the location of them a bit, since the hotwiring and lockpicking boxes are not always found in the same places. And no, there is no second classic Wolfenstein level, but all the easter eggs and secrets that were in the original game return in the nightmare (secret walls, the hidden exit, etc.).

Actually the collactables do change, one timeline upgrades your Hp , the other your armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

Well, Gaea Rage is a cast from HP attack, it'd be too risky to use it recklessly if he were low on health :v:
All the justification I needed. Thanks! :tipshat: