Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Also, if you're not, you should really use this mod. It makes the game fill way more alive.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101496-0-90-Collision-FX-v2-0-%282014-12-18%29

(Squad should also add it to vanilla, honestly.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That does look neat; some of my "landings" would be pretty ridiculous when friction gets taken into account. Are there effects for different terrains? Like throwing up red dust on Duna.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

One of the first mods I always install is Chatterer. It's somewhat Kerbalese muttering and noise at intervals, but the way it synchronizes with the stuff I'm doing amuses me to no end.

*sends Jeb ragdolling across Minmus after misjudging a landing*
*beep* *mutter mutter mutter mutter* *beep beep*

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think so, no. Things like funky rotational axes or retrograde orbits would be a good way to add more planets and keep them fresh. We should certainly have more than one gas giant.

There's been suggestions that they will add a second gas giant eventually. I hope they do, though I'd like Jool to also have way more moons, including a few tiny ones (Gilly sized, or even smaller than that).

Then again I still can't even reliably make return missions from Jool's current moons so I dunno why I even care that much :v:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Could the engine support a ring system?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Count Roland posted:

Could the engine support a ring system?

There are mods that already have Saturn-like ringed planets, so probably. I believe the main issue blocking the addition of more planets was creating a smarter asset-loading system, since each planet uses up quite a bit of memory.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ok woah. Everyone remember to turn off the "lock to retrograde" SAS mode before taking off again from the Mun. :stare:

I really think it should be possible to change the SAS mode without turning SAS on first.

I think 'motherfucker' adequately sums up my feelings on this issue.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Pre-flight checks?:shrug:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, having played flight sims for years (and then, mostly hardcore single-plane addons) I have gotten used to following checklists. Flying by the seat of your pants is fun and all, but having a checklist makes the catastrophic fuckups a lot less frequent.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Is anyone getting a bug where decouplers (radial and in-line; can only test 1.25m at the moment) just continuously "poof" the decoupling smoke but don't actually decouple? They've got a blank icon in the staging order, and anything below/on the side remains below/on the side. I've got the stock bug fixes installed.

Edit: It was Tweakable Everything. Also drat I'm jumping on the CKAN train, made uninstalling/reinstalling so easy.

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 21, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I put some ion engines on my space station because I thought I might want to use them someday, but now that I’m planning a supply mission I see how expensive the propellant is. Even with the engines and solar panels already in orbit, it would be more economical to send up a Mainsail and a boatload of fuel than to send up enough xenon.

LKO clearly isn’t the ideal case for ion propulsion because there isn’t that much upstream Δv, but when xenon is 0.977/1.05 kN⋅s per Keso with/without tank and fuel & oxidiser is 19.6/85.4, it’s hard to imagine any mission involving enough total Δv for ion propulsion to make sense.

Ion exists for low‐mass challenges, I guess.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Pre-flight checks?:shrug:

Pre-landing check might be better. Once you're a few hundred meters up retrograde isn't that hard to find; flip the pilot to stabilization for the final approach/touchdown. Plus if you bounce, you won't have Jeb doggedly trying to turn the ship upside down 50m from the ground. :jeb:

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

I love this patch. I'm making some weird poo poo

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How are you even supposed to land on things? I can reliably get to Mun, but no matter how much I try to reverse myself, I always slam into the surface at 400+ m/s.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

karl fungus posted:

How are you even supposed to land on things? I can reliably get to Mun, but no matter how much I try to reverse myself, I always slam into the surface at 400+ m/s.

I learned about when to start burning to land by paying close attention to MechJeb and what it did with auto landing enabled for Mun and more or less mimicking it. Mun needs a lot more dV to land than most bodies in the system, so once you get it down pat you can land almost anywhere else.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

karl fungus posted:

1) Slow down sooner.

2) You're probably coming in straight down from a high altitude. Instead, while in orbit, get your periapse to just over the Mun's surface, say 15km or something. Then when you're at periapse, burn retrograde to kill your horizontal velocity. You'll end up briefly stationary over the surface of the Mun, and will fall relatively gently.

But you gotta watch your velocity and judge your altitude. Its all for naught if you try and slow down 5 seconds before impact.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/rsSi9

god drat!

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

karl fungus posted:

Depends on your approach and your landing engines. If you're taking a conventional approach (i.e. getting to low lunar orbit first then landing from there), then either you're burning too late or (most likely) your thrust-to-weight ratio is too low (which would mean you need bigger engines on the lander).

Can you post a screenshot of your approach and/or lander? Default key is F1.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

karl fungus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOMS8Y3ULdY This is part of a tutorial series from February, so it's a little old, but it's a handy-dandy guide to getting from orbit to landing on an airless low-gravity object such as a moon! It's a pity that Minmus is slightly awkward to get to for new players because it really is MUCH easier to land on than Mun - the gravity's even weaker and there's a whole bunch of guaranteed flat spaces at zero-altitude. Watch through this, and if you're still having lithobraking issues with Mun, I'd recommend watching some of his other videos too.

(Do I get money for this, illectro?)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Does he really need that much dV to launch that thing?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

God drat that's loving stock isn't it. 0.90 is so great.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Thesoro posted:

Can you post a screenshot of your approach and/or lander? Default key is F1.

I posted some shots earlier: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688393&userid=175789#post439193551

Came in, hit a crater sideways, command pod miraculously survived and went into low orbit, had no way to get back to Kerbin so I made my kerbal into a lander and tried to slow my descent with a jetpack.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

karl fungus posted:

I posted some shots earlier: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688393&userid=175789#post439193551

Came in, hit a crater sideways, command pod miraculously survived and went into low orbit, had no way to get back to Kerbin so I made my kerbal into a lander and tried to slow my descent with a jetpack.

Not having a spaceship might be your problem.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh my god I can not figure out how to make planes that work/can even take off either in stock or FAR. :cry:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Oh my god I can not figure out how to make planes that work/can even take off either in stock or FAR. :cry:

You might not have enough lift? I had problems getting planes to go up until I got into using more wing pieces.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

Ciaphas posted:

I don't use FAR, but for stock stuff...

Make sure your Center of Thrust is in line with the Center of Mass.

Add plenty of wings and control surfaces to generate a decent amount of lift, and make sure the Center of Lift is at least a little bit behind the CoM.

Canards in the front help a lot in terms of both stability and maneuverability, but will move your CoL forward so keep an eye on that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Okay, how do you get more pilots? I've killed a bunch (playing on hard) trying to get a surface survey on the side of a mountain, and I can't seem to get any more. The one pilot I have left is up on the space station right now, and I have no one to pilot the next mission.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Roflex posted:

Okay, how do you get more pilots? I've killed a bunch (playing on hard) trying to get a surface survey on the side of a mountain, and I can't seem to get any more. The one pilot I have left is up on the space station right now, and I have no one to pilot the next mission.

Upgrade your Astronaut Complex.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

load ship button stopped working in vab. airplane hangar still works and can load those ships, but launching them on the runway is stupid. any idears?

e: ship file was broken. weird. is my ssd dying?

Gay Hitler fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 21, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Roflex posted:

Kill engineers, roll for pilots. Let the cleansing begin.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ablative posted:

Upgrade your Astronaut Complex.

I don't have that kind of money. I'm grinding up for the level 2 VAB so I can launch something with more than 30 parts (and boy is it a grind).

Also thirding the possible bug that planets might just not be in the right places. The launch window calendar, mechjeb, and that one transfer calculator website are giving me Eve transfers that are nowhere near correct.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I can't figure out how to land. I've got a basic trainer design from some forum, and I can take off and eventually head in the right direction, but landing is a one-in-five thing for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jackson Taus posted:

I can't figure out how to land. I've got a basic trainer design from some forum, and I can take off and eventually head in the right direction, but landing is a one-in-five thing for me.

That's what I'm working on now, too, for those survey missions that require an EVA report. I can get down to below 80m/s but that's all i can manage, and that's just not slow enough for uneven terrain. I'm sort of buggered.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ciaphas posted:

That's what I'm working on now, too, for those survey missions that require an EVA report. I can get down to below 80m/s but that's all i can manage, and that's just not slow enough for uneven terrain. I'm sort of buggered.

OKTO probe core for SAS, have an engineer fly, land via parachute and have him repack.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm trying FAR for the first time. I remember them being mentioned before but can anyone link me to the mod that lowers the performance of stock engines under FAR and the one that updates MechJeb for FAR?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, for me my contracts are down to the survey missions, going to the Mun, or building a space station. Those 2.5m & 3.75m rockets get real expensive real fast though, so I was hoping to do the surveys first.

Tweakables really trivializes a lot of part-testing contracts: you can take a 3m experimental part and downsize it to 1m size making it an order of magnitude easier to get into space and test.

OAquinas posted:

OKTO probe core for SAS, have an engineer fly, land via parachute and have him repack.

Brilliant! Of course now I need to design a plane to carry an OKTO and the gear instead of just nicking some dude's trainer design...

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

Yeah, for me my contracts are down to the survey missions, going to the Mun, or building a space station. Those 2.5m & 3.75m rockets get real expensive real fast though, so I was hoping to do the surveys first.

Tweakables really trivializes a lot of part-testing contracts: you can take a 3m experimental part and downsize it to 1m size making it an order of magnitude easier to get into space and test.

Brilliant! Of course now I need to design a plane to carry an OKTO and the gear instead of just nicking some dude's trainer design...

I have to self-impose limits on using Tweakscale because it makes certain part testing contracts unbelievably easy. I had a contract to test a gigantic KW Rocketry booster clocking in at 30-odd tons of mass on an escape trajectory out of Kerbin, which would have paid something like 900,000 kesos to complete - theoretically, I could empty it of all fuel, tweak it down to some ridiculously tiny size, and do it easily, but with such a ludicrous payout, it really doesn't seem fair.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Mister Bates posted:

I have to self-impose limits on using Tweakscale because it makes certain part testing contracts unbelievably easy. I had a contract to test a gigantic KW Rocketry booster clocking in at 30-odd tons of mass on an escape trajectory out of Kerbin, which would have paid something like 900,000 kesos to complete - theoretically, I could empty it of all fuel, tweak it down to some ridiculously tiny size, and do it easily, but with such a ludicrous payout, it really doesn't seem fair.

90% of my tweak scale use would go away if the KW parts let you swap textures for a given tank size. (Sometimes it has to be VERY big and ORANGE.) Also, the current version induces a bug that will make all your ships bug out and tear themselves apart after a while so watch out.

And big girders. Structural girders and trusses.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The lab and cupola requirements are enough for me to turn down this contract, but you want me to wrangle a class E asteroid as well? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone know of a mod that adds some nice big jet engines? The new plane sizes just beg for a sweet shuttle.