Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Couching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I was hoping for techniques that work well on covering surfaces, like an eye or teeth. I guess there's not really a substitute, huh?

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
Ehh, I wouldn't write off embroidery just yet. It sounds like you just don't want to get an embroidery-capable sewing machine, so why not try it by hand? It sounds intimidating, but using chunky embroidery thread speeds things up. Obviously it would be slow for a big piece, but for eyes and teeth it's really not so bad. The WIP plush I just posted has an embroidered face that only took like 30 minutes to finish.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Thank you. I've been told the name before and I always forget it!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Just did my official purchase of Keska's Scrap Cat pattern, so will be working on a Christmas gift from that!

My brother has two cats - Sadie and Link. So, I am making a cat in the colours of Sadie and giving her a Link costume. Should be fun :3

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I was so excited when I saw your order! I hope you have time to take pictures before you give the gift away. It sounds adorable.

I finally shipped out the last of the Sleipnirs for Christmas delivery. Finally I'm free! … well, until after Christmas, anyway. I have another one that has to go out mid January.

I really wasn't expecting a grey eight-legged pony to be the most popular thing I've ever made. Tom Hiddleston fan girls are weird.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Keska posted:

I was so excited when I saw your order! I hope you have time to take pictures before you give the gift away. It sounds adorable.

I finally shipped out the last of the Sleipnirs for Christmas delivery. Finally I'm free! … well, until after Christmas, anyway. I have another one that has to go out mid January.

I really wasn't expecting a grey eight-legged pony to be the most popular thing I've ever made. Tom Hiddleston fan girls are weird.

Did I miss the part where you posted pictures of that?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Comrade Quack posted:

Did I miss the part where you posted pictures of that?

Yeah but it was a ways back.

Keska posted:

Ta-daa!

So apparently this is going to be a Mother's Day present for somebody go goes by the nickname of Loki. :) I thought it was cute. If I make another one of these I think I'll make the legs a little longer and thicker, and narrow the head a bit.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Yup! I think this is my favorite of them, tho:

I keep tweaking the pattern on it because I have to do waaaay too much hand sewing around the bases of the legs to get things lined up correctly.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Finally I have something to contribute! Here's two small plushies I made for my two cousins for Christmas.

The white one still needs eyes while the black one still needs his feelers. I've made a ton of mistakes, some of which are poorly fixed, others are still visible, but everyone says they're great so I'm guessing I'm being negative and my cousins will like them.

I really wish I could make plushies that people would want because they're well done, not because a relative made them, though. Well I guess I can't have high expectations after 5 plushs.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 21, 2014

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

horriblePencilist posted:

Finally I have something to contribute! Here's two small plushies I made for my two cousins for Christmas.

The white one still needs eyes while the black one still needs his feelers. I've made a ton of mistakes, some of which are poorly fixed, others are still visible, but everyone says they're great so I'm guessing I'm being negative and my cousins will like them.

I really wish I could make plushies that people would want because they're well done, not because a relative made them, though. Well I guess I can't have high expectations after 5 plushs.

Small my rear end, they are big enough to break tables.

Are they based on something that I am missing? Cute, though! The white one reminds me of Eve from Wall-E.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Nothing in particular, the black one was meant to look more like a squid while the white one is more of a plush I designed with patterns in mind first, although he looks a lot like the main characters from ilomilo, which I really should make too.

Edit: Also you're imagining things if you think they're huge, they're sitting on my sewing machine next to a pair of scissors. Also, here's the squid next to my hand.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 20, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Some progress stuff. Going with the Wind Waker design for Link's outfit since its... uh. Less painful to do!

Gonna do the shield, sword, and hat next and then gotta go buy some nice big blue buttons for her eyes.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Dienes posted:

Small my rear end, they are big enough to break tables.

Are they based on something that I am missing? Cute, though! The white one reminds me of Eve from Wall-E.

That's what you meant with breaking tables, I thought you meant it literally. Sorry, I was posting from my phone which automatically formats the image so I didn't know it'd be that huge.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Done! The shield was a bitch, but she's done now~~

My brother's cat Sadie, dressed as Link (the name of his other cat). <3

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
Dawww :3: how cute!

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
Made a pug gnome for my mom for Christmas.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

No Egrets posted:

Aaaahahahaha! That is hilarious and adorable.

So great. What did your brother think?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Keska posted:

So great. What did your brother think?

No idea. Christmas was a big dramafest that got canceled and I haven't seen/heard from him since.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So. In case you've forgotten, I'm a terrible nerd. And I've been playing a *lot* of Nuclear Throne. And my favourite character is Chicken!

She's hard to kill.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

No Egrets posted:

This is stinkin AWESOME. I love gnomes.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!
Made my friend a Sam doll from the movie Trick r Treat:

Reference:

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015
Oh man oh man oh man. PLUSHIES!

I only started to really seriously get into sewing plushies over the last year. Made a bunch of poros from League of Legends to sell at a convention and got fancy getting myself an embroidery machine to do better details on more complex stuff since then.

Loving what I've seen in here so far, the range of creativity and detail is awesome. As such, I have got to get in on the show your stuff action.

Poorly Sewn Bee done as a gift for a friend.

Mew plush I made as my first play with my embroidery machine and trying to do something that wasn't a blob.

Morrigan Aesland from the Darkstalker's series done as my very first commission.

Poro, the little guys that really got me started in on this. I'm really looking forward to making more of these guys with my improved skill this year!

And there's a few other things I've done on my deviantArt too.

http://shevmo.deviantart.com/

Personal favourite piece right now: The most recent Poro hat I've made.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Those are lovely!

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I made a little octopus for a valentine's day present

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Do any of you do any commissioned work? A long time ago I got a custom plush made by a goon who posted, and I have 6 to 8 additional things I'd like to get made.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Imasalmon posted:

Do any of you do any commissioned work? A long time ago I got a custom plush made by a goon who posted, and I have 6 to 8 additional things I'd like to get made.

I think there are a few of us who do. What are you hoping to have made and what kind of time frame?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
My sister works for a therapeutic horse back riding charity, and was wanting to get plush versions of the horses done.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

Davedave24 posted:

This is super adorable!!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Davedave24 posted:

I love this guy.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
If anyone remembers that Squishable ice dragon pillow I designed in September, it finally became available yesterday and the first batch sold out in less than an hour

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015
Man I still love this thread. Octopus is cute as hell. <3

Did my first plush since moving and I'm pretty stoked about it. It's plush number four (not counting the bee really) that isn't just some kind of blob.

http://shevmo.deviantart.com/art/Kara-Plush-522383067

If you don't like furries you probably shouldn't lookit. It's someone's fursona. That said it was hella fun to make anyway.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I was hoping there was a plush thread on SA, and I am not disappointed. :)

Plush-knowledgeable folks... long story short: my mom died of a crazy fast-acting cancer, and one of the few things that brought her comfort during her excruciating last days was a stuffed lamb a friend bought, that she snuggled with all day. She was in so much pain, this silly stuffed animal was the only thing she could bear to sleep next to. I inherited Lambie after she died, and slept with it myself for many months while I cried about my mom dying. Needless to say, the poor thing is full of snot and tears. His fluffy fleece is all matted.

I feel terrible that Lambie is in such bad condition. What's the best way to clean him?

The tag is so worn out, all I can tell you is it came from Kohl's. He's got shaggy "fleece" (like, Cookie Monster-length fur) and velvety fabric on his face and legs/hooves. I can post pics if it helps.

Dish soap? Laundry detergent? Woolite? I just don't wanna gently caress up Lambie, he means a lot to me.

TIA for any advice on getting him fluffy and white again. My super awesome crafty mom would give y'all shout-outs. :)

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

If you're super worried about the material, I'd say gentle hand washing in lukewarm water with woolite and a lot of fingerscrubbing is your best bet! Hard to go wrong there, though you may need to do it more than once depending on just how messy he is. Depending on your weather, drying him outside on a few very sunny days is probably the gentlest way to get the water out, but if you're worried about it sitting in the stuffing, a firm pressing between dry towels can help wring out a lot of that. TBH, unless he's made of wool and barely hanging together stitch-wise you're probably not going to mess him up, and if he IS, I've successfully restored delicate wool items with the above approach. I'm sorry for your loss--I hope this helps a bit.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Making a set of plush emoticons for a "GBS Thread of the Week" prize and annoying Sheila all at once. Haven't started on the next two. One's going to be :3:, but I haven't decided on the third.

E: :v: :3: :butt:

Flaccid Trip fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 8, 2015

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Wow, this thread is dead. Just finished a plush of Hōgen from Ginga Densetsu Weed. He's pretty small, since I'd never rafted a pattern for a laying pose, and didn't want to waste too much fabric in the event of a colossal gently caress-up.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Drum posted:

Wow, this thread is dead. Just finished a plush of Hōgen from Ginga Densetsu Weed. He's pretty small, since I'd never rafted a pattern for a laying pose, and didn't want to waste too much fabric in the event of a colossal gently caress-up.

Do you still hand-stitch (I figured it looked that way)? Are you planning on doing a second run of it as well ('cause its cute!)?

And yeah, it is. I've been pretty much 100% burnt out on sewing lately. I get a spark for it like, only twice a year now. Down from a hey-day of a plush every 2 days or so when I was doing it for income.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

I think I'm going to try and sew a cute squishy mothman for my next project, now that I'm free for the summer. I kinda want to try and be better at sewing large, clean shapes with 3d patterns, so I drafted up one along those lines.

I normally go tiny for plushies but I wanna make this guy big and huggable. :3:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

TheAbominableSnow posted:

I think I'm going to try and sew a cute squishy mothman for my next project, now that I'm free for the summer. I kinda want to try and be better at sewing large, clean shapes with 3d patterns, so I drafted up one along those lines.

Oh my lord that is completely adorable. Is it ok if I I give it a shot myself when I have time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TheAbominableSnow posted:

That is adorable and fantastic, and on a weird note, thank you for making it look proper. People give it a head sometimes and it looks totally unlike the weird and wonderful first sketch/sighting of it.

• Locked thread