Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Time Dilation is pretty loving incredible too.

Fugue works amazingly with certain abilities though. The aforementioned Fugue + Light Manipulation rave party slaughters just about anything, and Fugue + Teleport causes your timeclones to spontaneously surround and brutally stomp stuff the turn after you summon them. If you also have Clairvoyance it basically becomes Summon Inescapable Super Ninjas, it owns.

Fugue + Temporal Vortex is crazy in a bad way, but sufficiently hilarious to be worth trying at least once just for the sight of an entire level getting torn to pieces by a half-dozen time tornadoes that keep sucking up your idiot clones.

The biggest piss-off about Temporal Fugue apart from the bad AoE AI is the wonky way it handles ammo. I tried making a gunslinger who summoned a posse to bury big enemies under a pile of lead, but it turns out your clones somehow consume bullets from your guns when they fire theirs, making the pistol posse an outright impossible build. Rated F- would not attempt again :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gunslingers seem impossible in general. Crafting ammo has hilariously low yields and the only normal pistol that's actually ammo efficient is unique. Laser pistols are pretty decent but not half as good as the energy rifles and overcharged laser pistols devour cells for little benefit over the regular ones. It's also kind of expensive to keep buying up As to recharge chem cells with.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fat Samurai posted:

Does anyone have some good starting tips for Qud? I usually have a quick read of early game spoilers each time I start a new roguelike, but I cannot find a good source for this, and don't want to read the entire wiki.

Everybody recommends mutants as a starter so i can offer some contrasting advice. I don't think they're necessarily stronger than a twinked out mutant, but starting as a true man centurion and building toward melee, rifles and tinkering is pretty ridiculous. Tinkering is pretty luck dependent, but if you find some good plans you can do ridiculous poo poo with it. My only real "winner" from long ago was true man centurion tinker who found a blueprint for a good power cell and some crazy ranged weapons, including eventually a phase cannon, i think. Maybe i just outright found a phase cannon, i forget.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The only thing true men really have over mutants is their starting gear and only a few of classes really have that even. The extra stats don't help that much since you'll just go wider, not deeper. The skill points can make tinkering less painful but you don't need to mass produce weapons so the benefit of tinkering 2 and tinkering 3 is pretty marginal in the long run, especially given the rarity of the materials involved. Not to mention that Psychometry is really awesome on a tinker, letting you trivially learn how to make anything you'd want to mass produce.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dis astranagant posted:

Gunslingers seem impossible in general. Crafting ammo has hilariously low yields and the only normal pistol that's actually ammo efficient is unique. Laser pistols are pretty decent but not half as good as the energy rifles and overcharged laser pistols devour cells for little benefit over the regular ones. It's also kind of expensive to keep buying up As to recharge chem cells with.

I've noticed the same. The whole idea with the Pistol Posse was to get around the horrifying ammunition grind by letting my clones shoot clone bullets, but it turns out that clone bullets aren't a real thing and Gunslingers are just not really sustainable unless you play them as knife-fighting Psychometry tinkers who occasionally shoot things. It's a shame, because they're fun as poo poo when they actually have bullets, and the design space for pistols is rad as hell.

Makes me wish there was a pistol skill dedicated specifically to ammo management. Something that gives, say, a 50% chance to recover each slug from the target's corpse, and reduces the rate at which energy pistols deplete cell charge. That'd make them a bit less painful to play. I definitely agree that the yield for lead slug crafting could stand to be much better (also, why the heck does that recipe use scrap electronics and not scrap metal?). It'd be cool to see more variant ammunition types, too; I like the thought of turning scrap crystal into armour-piercing rounds and using phasic power systems to make crazy-rear end incendiary bullets.

dis astranagant posted:

The only thing true men really have over mutants is their starting gear and only a few of classes really have that even. The extra stats don't help that much since you'll just go wider, not deeper. The skill points can make tinkering less painful but you don't need to mass produce weapons so the benefit of tinkering 2 and tinkering 3 is pretty marginal in the long run, especially given the rarity of the materials involved. Not to mention that Psychometry is really awesome on a tinker, letting you trivially learn how to make anything you'd want to mass produce.

Yeah, Psychometry is pretty much The Ultimate Thing for tinkers. Found a thing? You know how to make the thing. Make everything.

If turrets correctly awarded experience to their creators I'd play mutant tinkers a lot more often. As is, turrets aren't even that useful as a panic button to help you escape, since they take several turns to build (and can't be disassembled, as far as I know).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 19, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Well, I just lost my most promising character so far -- level 7 and had visited both the Rust Wells and Red Rock without dying -- to the invalid save issue, so now seems like a good time to round up my notes. That problem is by far the worst bug of this version so far, btw; others are annoying or even potentially lethal but this just straight up ends a character and there doesn't seem to be any consistent way to trigger or avoid it, it just happens sometimes.

Got the save-load bug fixed. I'll post a build later this evening with that + whatever else I can clean up.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

freehold games™ started to address this with cybernetics, but they're right on the fringes of coqs development, and the current ones are not terribly powerful.

still! :ghost:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I've never really had huge ammo problems in Qud, but I mostly only use guns as a fallback when my lasermans run out of eye lasers. And since my espers always start as merchants, and the shop in Joppa usually has a few hundred bullets in stock, I always have plenty of ammo.

I had one guy who started mostly using guns when he randomly got the Force Bubble mutation, since it blocks eye lasers but not bullets. That run was pretty funny because I also had Temporal Fugue and Pyrokinesis. I would summon a few clones and suddenly half the level explode and the other half would be covered in impassable force fields. Sadly, that guy died when he tried to fight some goatfolk at low health and found out that force fields don't stop enemy grenades.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The shop in Joppa usually has a couple dozen bullets of each type, definitely not hundreds. Gotta go to Grit Gate or Goatville for that. We were specifically discussing the gunslinger start, which uses dual pistols and goes through ammo like mad from lack of accuracy and armor penetration. Not to mention the possibility that you'll go through a dozen bullets in a single action.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
[CoQ Steam 12-19-2014]
*Fixed an issue where games failed to load.
*Fixed an issue where sidebar state (i.e. hitpoints) was not correctly refreshed at the start of a turn
*Disabled some debug keys (that were causing the screen to stop refreshing for people)
*Fixed an issue where you couldn't launch on 64-bit Linux from the steam client
*Fixed keypad + and - being reversed in some cases
*Changed options to use a json data file in the save directory instead of the windows registry
*Removed registration check

Have some keys ye scurvy dogs:
V̶L̶F̶H̶W̶-̶L̶8̶M̶B̶Q̶-̶L̶C̶X̶2̶R̶
4̶9̶7̶3̶C̶-̶5̶5̶Z̶G̶R̶-̶W̶E̶Y̶Y̶K̶
I̶X̶Y̶4̶8̶-̶6̶Q̶P̶J̶B̶-̶Z̶Q̶E̶P̶J̶
H̶Y̶3̶J̶P̶-̶W̶V̶V̶4̶6̶-̶X̶E̶7̶3̶W̶
5̶K̶P̶6̶W̶-̶B̶J̶9̶R̶8̶-̶J̶W̶H̶L̶E̶

Unormal fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 20, 2014

full point
Jan 21, 2006

Unormal posted:

Grabbed the last one in the list (5KP6W-BJ9R8-JWHLE) - thanks Unormal!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

[CoQ Steam 12-19-2014]
*Fixed an issue where sidebar state (i.e. hitpoints) was not correctly refreshed at the start of a turn
*Disabled some debug keys (that were causing the screen to stop refreshing for people)
*Changed options to use a json data file in the save directory instead of the windows registry

VLFHW-L8MBQ-LCX2R
4973C-55ZGR-WEYYK
IXY48-6QPJB-ZQEPJ
HY3JP-WVV46-XE73W

Snagged the one in the middle

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Got the one between those two, HY3JP-WVV46-XE73W.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Grabbed the first one on the list. Thanks!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Unormal posted:

[CoQ Steam 12-19-2014]

VLFHW-L8MBQ-LCX2R
4973C-55ZGR-WEYYK
I̶X̶Y̶4̶8̶-̶6̶Q̶P̶J̶B̶-̶Z̶Q̶E̶P̶J̶
HY3JP-WVV46-XE73W

Grabbed one, thanks a ton!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fired it up, rolled an esper with light manipulation and well this happened

Ambient light is toggled on and has 5 charges, not that you can tell here.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Fired it up, rolled an esper with light manipulation and well this happened

Ambient light is toggled on and has 5 charges, not that you can tell here.

[CoQ Steam 12-19-2014]
*Fixed light manipulation not manipulating light

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Does Nuclear Throne have its own thread yet? Now that there's the daily challenges it's probably worth having one if not.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

hito posted:

Does Nuclear Throne have its own thread yet? Now that there's the daily challenges it's probably worth having one if not.
Same question, but for Necrodancer.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe we should just have a roguelike daily challenges thread for all the daily challenges stuff

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tollymain posted:

maybe we should just have a roguelike daily challenges thread for all the daily challenges stuff

Brogue :eng99:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does brogue have daily challenges now?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just started up unreal world and even with the tutorial task things i'm not even remotely sure what all i can do.

e: i don't think i can be a cool wilderness witch and to be honest that's some bullshit

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tollymain posted:

does brogue have daily challenges now?

Not exactly, but I remember they were doing same-seed challenges on the forum, I'm not sure if it became an 'official' integrated feature or anything, would be trivial to set up.

I kind of gave up on Brogue though, it's a great game, but gently caress pet management forever.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

victrix posted:

Not exactly, but I remember they were doing same-seed challenges on the forum, I'm not sure if it became an 'official' integrated feature or anything, would be trivial to set up.

I kind of gave up on Brogue though, it's a great game, but gently caress pet management forever.

I generally ignore the pets, or treat them as expendable eel-distractors in the early game. They're not the game breaker that they used to be, that's for sure.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

victrix posted:

Same, except just for this version of Brogue. Hope they fix pet shepherding eventually. I started playing FTL again, instead, and I'm just as irritated with it as ever, but it's a fun kind of angry. That'll build up, and I'll fire up Spelunky for a month, then try Crawl again, move to Brogue on the new version and the circle will have begun yet again. (Interrupted once I can part with the bucks for Sproggi.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I preferred the ally management before the version where you had to get the special wands to boost their levels. I preferred the seeming randomness (because i never kept track) of when they'd get enough xp to learn a new skill and be stronger to "well i have to find one of those wands or a recharging scroll again".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

[CoQ Steam 12-19-2014]

Lovely :toot:

I will likely be playing a bunch of this over the holidays while out in the boonies with no reliable net connection.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
[CoQ Steam 12-20-2014]
*Fixed liquid volumes not rendering properly
*Fixed gas volumes not rendering properly
*Fixed the unity shell thread not terminating when the gameplay terminates
*Fixed the disable floor textures option not working
*Fixed Clairvoyance not updating properly
*Fixed hidden objects (i.e. young ivories) not being properly hidden
*Fixed night vision goggles not working properly
*Fixed fireflies displaying improperly
*Fixed smoking piles not smoking correctly
*Fixed some quest steps not firing correctly
*Fixed darkvision not working properly
*Fixed a bunch of other things not rendering properly

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
playing sil, i found a 9.5 lb greatsword but i only have 2 strength; other than the strength capstone for the melee skill abilities, is there any other way in the game to gain strength?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
potions will buff it temporarily which can be useful to get out of a tight situation if you happen to be packing a monster weapon you can't usually make the most out of.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Tower of Guns is one of those games that has various silly messages when loading levels. One of them is "Defining "Roguelike..."".

Is the guy that made Tower of Guns a goon? :tinfoil:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The definition of a roguelike has been a Thing since like the 90s, it's not a goon litmus test.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

neongrey posted:

The definition of a roguelike has been a Thing since like the 90s, it's not a goon litmus test.

Speaking of which.
It's not a roguelike if it's not in ASCII.
Imajustsayin'...:smug:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 21, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
How do I get access to the caves of qud beta thing?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Robot Randy posted:

Watch the thread like a hawk for one of Unormal's giveaway posts :v:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Robot Randy posted:

Be a bot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

[CoQ Steam 12-20-2014]

* Delete on the load game screen doesn't do anything but produce an "unknown keycode Delete" message in the log
* Loading this save, which is one of the ones that was unloadable until you fixed that issue, produces four "ThawZone exception on clipboard" messages. The log is included and the four corresponding exceptions are all IO.FileNotFoundExceptions looking for things called "ZoneCache\JoppaWorl.X.Y.Z.Q.R.zone"
* Possibly related to the above: \ is not a path separator on any platform except windows and saving something to "ZoneCache\JoppaWorld.17.23.1.1.10.zone" gets you a file with that name, including a backslash.

E:
* Status effect "frozen" doesn't show up in the sidebar, as far as I can tell the only way to know that you're frozen is to try to move and get the "frozen solid" message
* Harvesting always says "you harvest a <food item>" even if you actually harvested, say, 8 of them
* The resulting food is added to your inventory one at a time, spamming the log with "you take the ____".

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 21, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm no bot and I got in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Tollymain posted:

playing sil, i found a 9.5 lb greatsword but i only have 2 strength; other than the strength capstone for the melee skill abilities, is there any other way in the game to gain strength?

Stat boosts are very rare in sil and str is especially hard to increase. You mostly have to rely on temporary buffs or luck out and find lots of str boosting items. In general you'll never have enough strength to get the full bonus on heavy weapons (except for mithril ones), so instead you need to take advantage of abilities like charge to get the most of it.

You can also use smithing to get huge stat boosts, but you're probably better of stacking con if you go that route.