Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

That was definitely a messy main game, but simply because it was messy in a way that ended up almost impossible to exploit, it was a lot more entertaining than some previous poor main games.

I think you can exploit it, it's just that no one made the right connections to do so and all attempts at social play fell apart fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

GraPar posted:

Who are people rooting for? I do like Hyunmin a lot but Dongmin has owned this season on every level - strategic, social and entertainment - so it's got to be him.

In the final I mostly just hope we get to see some actual genius moments. I think Hyunmin is the better player, as he always quickly decides on a simple and effective strategy, but he hasn't been challenged much. Like in the deathmatch today, he goes for an obvious strategy and since his opponent is so weak Hyunmin doesn't even have to resort to some kind of meta-strategy that assumes the opponent will have anticipated his plan.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Titty God returns and almost immediately starts throwing a tantrum, Yeonseung loses deathmatch pretty much instantly, Dongman and Hyunmin going to the finals. The Genius gods have smiled on us this day.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I was really rooting for Yeonseung, but I have to admit that the two players going to the finals probably deserve to be there. That elimination interview though, drat. Is it just me or has the show been way sadder this season?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Mentality King nooooo. On the other hand, if the finale was anything but Hyunmin vs Dongmin, we'd always have wondered "what if".

Subyng
May 4, 2013
That main match was just an absolute mess.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I hope this was the last time we see Titty God on the show, geez :rolleyes:

Mentality King... :(

I'm hoping Dongmin doesn't meltdown in the finals if he loses the first game or something.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Am I the only one who liked Titty God this time around? After feeling reassured he was an enormous boob by the time he left, watching him blunder around the main match switching from pathetic begging for relevance (his pitch to Dongmin a prime example) to inflated sense of importance while remaining absolutely unable to work with any plan whatsoever, even his own, was amazing. The Genius usually has funny stuff but today's main match felt more like a comedy show, and Titty God was the star!

E: Also Yoohyun winning was nice, he definitely felt like one of the overall most competent players to me, he just had some issues with making allies and the one bad breakdown in the deathmatch.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
He was trying too hard to be funny and comedic and ham it up like Dongmin and it was just pathetic.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

He was trying too hard to be funny and comedic and ham it up and it was just pathetic.

I really didn't get that impression at all? He exaggerated a bit with Hyunmin when they were squabling, but pretty much every player has done something like that at some point. And it was more his sentiments and ideas that were funny than the way he delivered them, like the best one was maybe his whispered admittance that he didn't trust Hyunmin which was like the opposite of ham.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I think you were the only one that liked him yes

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

At first I liked how he caught on that Hyunmin had lied to him and that he was holding Hyunmin to account. But then as it went along he just descended more and more into pathetic whining and strange play.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Corn Thongs posted:

I think you were the only one that liked him yes

Yeah, pretty much.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Thoughts on Ep. 11:

Well, I'm getting my wish with a Hyunmin/Dongmin final. I'll be rooting for Dongmin, although Hyunmin is the second coming of Jinho, and I won't be sad if he wins it either.

At first I didn't really get Hyunmin's deathmatch setup, even after the explanation, but I caught on by the third or fourth tile. It now seems like a no brainer, and I wish Mentality King had taken the same approach.

Definitely an entertaining season overall, and this should be a really fun final match to watch.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hweejong tries so hard to not keep re-enacting S2E1 but he just can't stop himself.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Titty God was obnoxious and bad, Hweejong was cocky, Ahyoung was hilarious and Yoohyun won. And they say you can't come home again...

I'm sad about MENTALITY KING... sigh but this really is the final that should be. Yeonseung for returning player next season?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Tonfa posted:

Hweejong tries so hard to not keep re-enacting S2E1 but he just can't stop himself.

They should bring him back every season just so we can watch the spectacular arrogant implosion. It'd be like clockwork.

Also if I don't get some Extreme Ways in the finale... it probably means it was a boring finale.

Also Monorail could totally work for a final game if they add some pieces (in type or quantity).

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe they haven't used Extreme Ways a single time this season. Show isn't the same without it IMO.

Yeonseung should be the returning player next season. Deserves it the most out of anyone eliminated this season.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

He's a cool dude. Though I miss the hair that made him look like Korean Michael Jackson.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I feel like Yeonseung has kind of reached his potential with realizing that he needs to be more proactive and be better at developing socially through the latter half the season. Yeonseung has always lacked tactically and isn't really someone that thinks critically. When his plans falls apart or something doesn't go his way he just kind of accepts his fate rather than finding a way to dig himself out of it.

I'd like to see Yeonjoo back as she sort of realized that she needs to be more confident and that she she does better under pressure than she realized herself before the Genius. She's decent at playing the meta-game when given the chance and is able to think about the games strategically when she has to. Sujin and Yoohyun are both candidates for season 3 imo, they are both pretty calm and decent at playing games. Sujin never really got a chance to shine since she just followed Dongmin, but she's not a bad player usually.

Comedy option: Dongmin and Ahyoung as a single player and they have to agree on everything they do.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cute n Popular posted:

I feel like Yeonseung has kind of reached his potential with realizing that he needs to be more proactive and be better at developing socially through the latter half the season. Yeonseung has always lacked tactically and isn't really someone that thinks critically. When his plans falls apart or something doesn't go his way he just kind of accepts his fate rather than finding a way to dig himself out of it.

I'd like to see Yeonjoo back as she sort of realized that she needs to be more confident and that she she does better under pressure than she realized herself before the Genius. She's decent at playing the meta-game when given the chance and is able to think about the games strategically when she has to. Sujin and Yoohyun are both candidates for season 3 imo, they are both pretty calm and decent at playing games. Sujin never really got a chance to shine since she just followed Dongmin, but she's not a bad player usually.

Comedy option: Dongmin and Ahyoung as a single player and they have to agree on everything they do.

Dongmin and Ahyoung get married. Dongmin has to bring a guest. He chooses anybody other than Ahyoung. Ahyoung gets invited on anyway. Hilarity ensues. Also divorce.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I turned into Yeonjoo from last week when Yeonseung was going through his betting black and white strategy thinking "why in the world wouldn't he just do straight minmaxing with how folds work" and continued to try and figure out what I was missing until the match started and it instantly became clear that there was no reason whatsoever. Pumped for the final, I'm hoping Dongmin takes it and the chess-type game with the 4x4 grid that's name I forget is one of the matches.

NeuroticLich posted:

Yeonseung should be the returning player next season. Deserves it the most out of anyone eliminated this season.

I disagree, I think Hweejong-type returning players who are going to flame out early but add a lot of flavor to early episodes are the way to go. I'd kinda like to see Titty God crash and burn again, he and Hweejong both have really glaring personality flaws that repeatedly flare up on them in a way that's really satisfying to watch.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Soylentbits posted:

Dongmin and Ahyoung get married. Dongmin has to bring a guest. He chooses anybody other than Ahyoung. Ahyoung gets invited on anyway. Hilarity ensues. Also divorce.

Dongmin brings Dealer nuna as a guest, obviously.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This season owns, Hweejong still owns, Kyunghoon is like a reality show contestant from Survivor who somehow snuck onto set, the final match-up owns, Yeonseung still sucks and can get "bent"

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Did anyone else notice they used music from The Knick in this episode?

It's just cool to me that some Korean person who works on The Genius not only watches a medical drama set in early 1900s New York, but they also recognized how loving awesome that soundtrack was.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

qbert posted:

Did anyone else notice they used music from The Knick in this episode?

It's just cool to me that some Korean person who works on The Genius not only watches a medical drama set in early 1900s New York, but they also recognized how loving awesome that soundtrack was.

I was hoping The Knick would be on AXN Korea and have a trailer like the Hannibal one where it becomes a romantic comedy with K-pop under it but alas.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Power of Pecota posted:

Dongmin brings Dealer nuna as a guest, obviously.

CHINGUYA! :buddy:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
oh yeah, LOL at Hweejong, he had 3 tries and he is just not genius material.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I liked MENTALITY KING but I don't think he should come back.... he's not aggressive enough to make a second showing worthwhile. Yoohyun might be a good option, I feel like he was constantly second fiddle strategically and tactically to the Dongmin/Hyunmin tag team, so if he came back with something to prove, I'd watch.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Glad that we got the final we did AND that bumbdy resumed subbing Abnormal Summit. Seeing Zhang Yuan bomb at pick up lines after dissing Tyler was probably the most satisfying thing I've watched this year.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Titty god for worst genius ever? I thought I couldn't hate anyone more than that lovely lawyer, but titty god seriously titty god how?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sharktamer posted:

Titty god for worst genius ever? I thought I couldn't hate anyone more than that lovely lawyer, but titty god seriously titty god how?
And people were shipping him and Ahyoung. :colbert:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

MoPZiG posted:

Glad that we got the final we did AND that bumbdy resumed subbing Abnormal Summit. Seeing Zhang Yuan bomb at pick up lines after dissing Tyler was probably the most satisfying thing I've watched this year.

That got a full belly laugh from me.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

And people were shipping him and Ahyoung. :colbert:

Titty God was, and then nobody else.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MoPZiG posted:

I liked how they used a new special effect just for that terrible pick-up line.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun
The BTS videos for this episode are pretty funny, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a72wiqxX1fE

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just gonna leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNPDHVi3gM

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Holy crap. I completely retract any negative thought I have ever thought about Anyoung. Holy crap she's talented.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Dammit guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Oh gently caress, I didn't think I could love her more than I already did.