Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Dirtballer posted:

Interested to know what is everyone's favourite gig they went to this year? Personally it's Behemoth at the Forum in London a couple of weeks ago.

King Diamond puts on one hell of a show, easily the best I've been to this year, one of the top shows I've ever been to. Right up there with Maiden .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dirtballer posted:

Interested to know what is everyone's favourite gig they went to this year? Personally it's Behemoth at the Forum in London a couple of weeks ago.
Slayer/Exodus/Suicidal Tendencies about a month ago.

Albeit I only went to two concerts this year, the other being Motley Crue/Alice Cooper.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Dirtballer posted:

The most memorable was the tribute show to Selim Lemouchi at Roadburn. Members of The Devil's Blood and Selim Lemouchi's Enemies played a set together and his sister sang. It was only a few weeks after his suicide, and it was a remarkably emotional experience.

Other than that, I'd say YOB in Oslo, where they played Clearing The Path To Ascend in its entirety, Vemod in Trondheim, and Mystifier at the Inferno Festival. All brilliant shows that I'll remember for a long time. I should also mention Black Sabbath, which surprised me by not being awful.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dirtballer posted:

I saw Vektor and Toxik on Halloween at St. Vitus with Bloodfeast and a couple of local (and pretty loving awesome) thrash bands. One of the best shows I've ever seen. All the openers were great, Bloodfeast were a bunch of old road-dog looking dudes who took the stage and proceeded to lay waste, and both headliners were just mind-blowing. All in a room with maybe a hundred people.

Also got to see Arsis play all of A Celebration of Guilt, which is one of my favorite albums, so that was cool. Oh, and Maryland Deathfest was just ridiculous.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 21, 2014

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Dirtballer posted:

This festival called Monsters of Rot 4. Had a great time. It was a day of Ireland and Northern Ireland's best death metal bands. Plus I nearly got knocked the gently caress over by a drunk dude.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I didn't go to as many shows this year as usual, but I think that the best was probably Boris/SubRosa/Atlas Moth. Earth (w/ King Dude) was also great.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Best show this year was easily Gilead in Oshkosh.

Hell, Uzala, Thou, The Body (and a collab set), Ash Borer, Mutilation Rites, Northless.

I mean seeing Sleep twice in Chicago was a loving lifetime achievement too so maybe that should be first.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Dirtballer posted:

Oddly enough for me it was Sabaton and Amon Amarth even though I mainly went for Skeletonwitch and they were a no-show :(
Still a great show.

Also, to that guy who posted about Motley Crue.. dude if I ever told these fuckers in the Metal thread my favorite song ever, every swinging dick in here would laugh at me until they either died of exhaustion or just passed out unconscious.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Top shows would probably be:

Maiden @ Hellfest
Converge @ Scala
Behemoth @ Hellfest
Meshuggah @ The Roundhouse (never really been that into them but jesus loving christ they're amazing live.)
Bolt Thrower @ Damnation

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Went to the Meshuggah show last night and feel the same. I've always found their albums boring to listen to but seeing them play their stuff note-perfectly in the flesh is something else.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Probably Obscure Burial/Possession/Malthusian/Sheol/Zom/Irkallian Oracle/Bolzer in Oberhausen.
Wouldn't say every band was spot on by a long shot by any means, but it was just after the main festival season began winding down and the vibe that night was ludicrously good.

The best performance I've seen this year has been from The Ruins of Beverast, who were absolutely enthralling the three times I saw them. Nifelheim deserve a mention, as do Dead Congregation, Drowned, Saturnalia Temple and Grave Miasma.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Dirtballer posted:

I'll do best, worst, and missed! Saw the Sword at the beginning of the year, I love their studio stuff but they mostly just flanneled about on stage like metal shoegazers. Austin suburbanites have zero game, surprise surprise.

Tyr and Eluveitie in the fall were great. Can't decide who did better but it was a skull slamming double bill.

Missing Sabaton and Amon because they didn't come by me. I'll get to see Sabaton next year though... with Delain and Nightwish.:11tea:

e: and I'm definitely seeing Falconer's final live show in Atlanta at Progpower '15.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 21, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dirtballer posted:

New England Metal and Hardcore Festival. Behemoth, 1349, Goatwhore, Carnifex, and some poo poo I didn't see. Also got to hang out with Goatwhore (bunch of cool guys) and met the guy who played Dante in Clerks. Only disappointing part was that I could only make it to one day of the event, so I had to miss Nile.

Holy poo poo, though, 1349 opened with Sculptor of Flesh. "Rend the world to your liking!" :black101:

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Seeing Vreid and Valfar's brother Vegard playing Windir songs at Hellfest and at the Underworld in London was a real treat. Cried after both gigs, hugged strangers, really emotional.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
I only went to two metal gigs this year that were particularly memorable -
Gigan/Pyrrhon/Artificial Brain
Carcass/Obituary/Exhumed/Noisem
I've said this before, but Artificial Brain is one of only two death metal bands I've seen whose vocalists sound even better live than on recordings (Vader being the other).

2015's gonna be great, though. Kayo Dot and then the Voivod/Napalm Death co-headlining tour a couple weeks later, and that's just January.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Best gig was probably Beastwars/Windhand(not really for Windhand though since they were kinda boring). Earth, the Skuldom come back gig and Vassafor with some other bands were also cool. Next year will be way cooler though because we're getting Midnight, Suffocation/Decapitated and a two day fest with Impetuous Ritual/Temple Nightside/Sinistrous Diabolus and a few other cool bands.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Now that I can occasionally get paid to go to concerts and write about them (and since I now live in a big city that bands rarely skip), 2015 is looking very enticing. Just through April I have all of these as potential metal shows:

Mayhem/Watain/Revenge
Napalm Death/Voivod/Exhumed/Iron Reagan/Black Crown Initiate
Enslaved/YOB
Electric Wizard
At the Gates/Converge

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Now that I can occasionally get paid to go to concerts and write about them (and since I now live in a big city that bands rarely skip), 2015 is looking very enticing. Just through April I have all of these as potential metal shows:

Mayhem/Watain/Revenge
Napalm Death/Voivod/Exhumed/Iron Reagan/Black Crown Initiate
Enslaved/YOB
Electric Wizard
At the Gates/Converge

Give me your job. :bahgawd:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

UltraVariant posted:

Give me your job. :bahgawd:

It's freelance and pays very little, and many venues don't actually get back to us about press passes so there will be times when I have to pay almost as much as I make on the recap. But it is really cool. I only started last month and the only metal gig I've successfully pitched is Pallbearer, but the press list was full and then the show was sold out anyway.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Midnight/Acid Witch/Shitfucker/Nunslaughter was amazingly fun. MDF was absolutely ridiculous and I was really happy to see so many great bands (particularly Bolzer, Asphyx, Dark Angel, Machetazo, Hooded Menace, Wrathprayer, Coffins, and others). I can't remember if the Abazagorath/Demonic Christ/Ptahil/Prosanctus Inferi show was this year or at the very tail end of '13,but that one was loving ace too. Oh! Abysmal Lord/Embalmer/Sulphuric Blood/Hod was crazy good too.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lord Mantis/Hell Militia and Deicide/Septic Flesh/Inquisition/Abysmal Dawn/Carrach Angren were the only two shows I went to this year, and I loved both of them, but seeing Inquisition and Deicide Live was pretty amazing. So was loosing one of the lenses out of my glasses in the Deicide moshpit. So I'll pick that show even though I didn't really care for the bands that weren't Inquisition and Deicide.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm always really surprised when people tell me that Deicide is still great live these days. The last three times I saw them they were absolutely lifeless and Glen is still a tremendous ball bag as always. I'm just lucky that I was able to catch them when they were touring for "Insineratehymn" with the original line-up and Glen didn't purposely sound like a dog.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fenrir posted:

Also, to that guy who posted about Motley Crue.. dude if I ever told these fuckers in the Metal thread my favorite song ever, every swinging dick in here would laugh at me until they either died of exhaustion or just passed out unconscious.

That's way more interesting than pages of everyone listing shows they went to.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Turk February posted:

I'm always really surprised when people tell me that Deicide is still great live these days. The last three times I saw them they were absolutely lifeless and Glen is still a tremendous ball bag as always. I'm just lucky that I was able to catch them when they were touring for "Insineratehymn" with the original line-up and Glen didn't purposely sound like a dog.

I was really putting that as my top one because I like Inquisition way too much and they sound freaking great live. Deicide was just enjoyable, but Glen seemed kinda nice other then yelling at the sound guy to turn his bass down some after every song.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dirtballer posted:

Death to All / Obituary was the best for me.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the best show I saw all year was Southern Darkness fest. Lots of amazing bands, beer, and Cuban sandwiches.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shakenbaker posted:

Pretty sure the best show I saw all year was Southern Darkness fest. Lots of amazing bands, beer, and Cuban sandwiches.

I had a chance to go to this but went to a beerfest at a science museum instead. I knew that no matter which one I went to I would regret not going to the other. But it's hard to go to shows now because they're all on weeknights up in ybor or st. pete.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Highlight for me was seeing Yautja live. They rule. Death to All was cool too, especially because I got to see Steve DiGiorgio & Hoglan play together live.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fenrir posted:

Oddly enough for me it was Sabaton and Amon Amarth even though I mainly went for Skeletonwitch and they were a no-show :(
Still a great show.

I forgot we had to be trve kvlt nordic warriors in this thread... I remain unrepentant however.

I redeem myself with this classic Testament cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL59jXlpMWk

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

I had a chance to go to this but went to a beerfest at a science museum instead. I knew that no matter which one I went to I would regret not going to the other. But it's hard to go to shows now because they're all on weeknights up in ybor or st. pete.

Yeah, I don't know why everything seems to fall on a weekday. I say reschedule all the ska shows to weekdays, not like they'll lose out on alcohol sales.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Dyscrasia posted:

King Diamond puts on one hell of a show, easily the best I've been to this year, one of the top shows I've ever been to. Right up there with Maiden .

Yeah, I saw King Diamond in Dallas and they were fantastic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God I hope our local metal booker gets him - King Diamond posted yesterday two emails to contact for booking and I forwarded em to our guy. He was supposed to come here years ago but his back went out. :( I'll lose my mind if I got to see the master live, especially singing anything from the Mercyful Fate days.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7dlvcwln_M

Not sure how this flew under my radar all year, but it's some great old-school sounding death metal. Real raucous with some great riffs.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euzd-Om57vM

Next year is shaping up to be pretty sweet.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Dirtballer posted:

My favorite gigs in 2014:

1. Lamb of God in Tilburg, Netherlands
2. Amon Amarth at Wacken Open Air
3. Bolt Thrower at Baroeg Open Air
4. Opeth at Graspop Metal Meeting
5. Ledz Zep at Wacken Open Air
6. Gorguts at Neurotic Death Fest
7. Dordeduh at Wacken Open Air
8. Behemoth at Tilburg 013
9. Nile at Graspop Metal Meeting
10. Black Sabbath at Graspop Metal Meeting

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I'm boring and didn't see any metal gigs this year, but I do love how all of the "best of 2014" write-ups are coming out of the woodwork and introducing me to awesome poo poo I somehow missed. Probably fits the black metal thread more, but I can't get enough of Thantifaxath's album. Man, it's competing hard for my #1 spot. And this is a year that gave us more Yob, Blut Aus Nord, Eyehategod, Nux Vomica, and a thousand loving others.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Crazy Larry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euzd-Om57vM

Next year is shaping up to be pretty sweet.

That's a fuckin' workout song right there. :black101:

Time for a Melechesh binge.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I almost saw more shows this year than I had seen in total prior. I wasn't much of a concert guy and living in the armpit of new england didn't help. Now in the south a lot of shows skip us but I had a good year despite that. A few stand out. The yautja show was really cool being in a small intimate setting and I got to photograph all the bands sets. I was glad Amon Amarth came back and Sabaton was great live. But I had the most fun at the Eluveitie/Tyr show, probably because I got pretty drunk and sang about swords and mountains.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fingers McGee posted:

I almost saw more shows this year than I had seen in total prior. I wasn't much of a concert guy and living in the armpit of new england didn't help. Now in the south a lot of shows skip us but I had a good year despite that. A few stand out. The yautja show was really cool being in a small intimate setting and I got to photograph all the bands sets. I was glad Amon Amarth came back and Sabaton was great live. But I had the most fun at the Eluveitie/Tyr show, probably because I got pretty drunk and sang about swords and mountains.

Tyr owns and the last time I was gonna see them I just missed them and ran into Heri in the lobby and he was like "hey man catch us next time, no big deal". Such a nice dude.

Next time around I'm gonna get drunk and try to sing in probably hilariously mispronounced Faroese along with Regin Smišur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I went through a bunch of 2014 metal top lists here and there looking for poo poo I'd missed and holyshit this Inferi album is incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOx0ZAD05jw&hd=1

http://inferi.bandcamp.com/