Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

http://www.moddb.com/members/davidme

This guy does TONS of Russian mod translations, so I've kept his page bookmarked for a long time.

Is there a cure for moddb not automatically downloading stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Toiletpaper already posted the link, it's a fairly easy if lengthy install. When you click a download on ModDB, it should pop up in the window and at the top of that pop-up it'll say the standard "click here if this doesn't work"/ pick another mirror or whatever. Make sure you install the save crash fix, might be one more separate DL but I can't remember.

A non-spoiler warning: If you play Geonezis, don't try to force the main storyline. You want to do as many quests to help pretty much anyone as you can. And good luck fulfilling Tremor's order, the same actions that spawn what you need for the quest also trigger his moving to the dock cranes.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've been playing SGM Geonezis all day and can confirm it's great. It felt a little rough around the edges initially (some text is still Russian) but it's fine: I'm loving the new quests and characters, weapons and armors. At first the radioactive water was annoying but now it changes how I approach getting around the zone.

I believe the AIO on moddb has Misery textures included so it looks gorgeous and, for me at least, it performs better than SGM 2.1 as I get a lot fewer stutters.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Welp I've played about 8 hours of Chernobyl and am only at Garbage. Game is pretty great, but drat am I horrible at it.

And then I misclick and hit quicksave instead of quickload a second before death after not doing a hard save for an hour. Gah live and learn.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 21, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, first time through is tough. Once you do make it through things get much easier.
When I did my first play through I thought the lab in Yantar would be this long, drawn out fight through an endless map filled with enemies in the elite to crack range. Pfft, after playing through it's like "that's it?".
Keep in mind that sometimes running like a bitch is a better option than shooting it out, so make sure you get some artifact that increases your endurance.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, first time through is tough. Once you do make it through things get much easier.
When I did my first play through I thought the lab in Yantar would be this long, drawn out fight through an endless map filled with enemies in the elite to crack range. Pfft, after playing through it's like "that's it?".
Keep in mind that sometimes running like a bitch is a better option than shooting it out, so make sure you get some artifact that increases your endurance.

Of course, then you'll make the mistake of thinking the game is almost over once you are approaching the road to the CNPP. Oh, memories :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This is about a week old, but I didn't see a link, so... GSC Gameworld has reformed in some form, still has all the STALKER 2 materials, and is working on a new "old-fashioned, full price game". They also talk about STALKER 2 development, and why it got cancelled in the first place.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Sounds like STALKER 2 was set to be the new SoC. Way ahead of its time but really out of date on release.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone have JIT.1.1.4.dll thingy for download? The links in OP aren't working.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone have JIT.1.1.4.dll thingy for download? The links in OP aren't working.

Here, just download the latest:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!BIISmQgK!KHZR01ljznUqJlcHUax-aQ

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Kins posted:

This is about a week old, but I didn't see a link, so... GSC Gameworld has reformed in some form, still has all the STALKER 2 materials, and is working on a new "old-fashioned, full price game". They also talk about STALKER 2 development, and why it got cancelled in the first place.

I can't wait to see what they come up with. Shame Stalker 2 will never see the light of day, especially since they upgraded from the horrible Xray engine.

I hope with whatever new game they're making they remember the modding community and allow us to edit as much as possible.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Just started playing SoC. Game plays fine, but in menu/backpack the mouse speed is slow as molasses. Like drag the mouse across the desk, lift and repeat multiple times to cross the screen. Not unplayable, but not fun.

I've been googling for a fix but haven't found anything. Anyone else know a way to correct this. I put mouse acceleration all the way up in windows and in game but it doesn't seem to affect menu mouse speed in game at all. :smith:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

The Kins posted:

Woah now that is unexpected, i love that the west game idiots were working on a browser version of stalker.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Swartz posted:

I can't wait to see what they come up with. Shame Stalker 2 will never see the light of day, especially since they upgraded from the horrible Xray engine.

I hope with whatever new game they're making they remember the modding community and allow us to edit as much as possible.

I would be surprised if they abandoned the modding community now. I think they realize that having an extensive community producing content for STALKER is a great way to tide people over until they're ready to push out another complete title.

I'm also somewhat surprised to hear him say that CoP and Clear Sky were more addons than full titles. I suspect some of that got lost in translation but nevertheless that article makes me optimistic for the future :unsmith:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

fennesz posted:

I would be surprised if they abandoned the modding community now. I think they realize that having an extensive community producing content for STALKER is a great way to tide people over until they're ready to push out another complete title.

I'm also somewhat surprised to hear him say that CoP and Clear Sky were more addons than full titles. I suspect some of that got lost in translation but nevertheless that article makes me optimistic for the future :unsmith:

I believe the modding community is the only reason why people still play this game series. I certainly would have stopped a long time ago if there were no mods for it. Hopefully the engine they use actually utilizes quad cores.

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

http://www.moddb.com/members/davidme

This guy does TONS of Russian mod translations, so I've kept his page bookmarked for a long time.

Holy moly, awesome.

Just for good measure as well, here's a big archive of Stalker mods and stuff, too.

chrome://mega/content/secure.html#F!zEtSxC4J!eRsovn-n098UpRtLDmr5_w

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 22, 2014

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Finally got around to playing TFW mod and I really like it so far. Finally got enough rep to sign up with Freedom (because they're chill dudes). But poo poo, Bandits are loving everywhere. They have owned the entry zone to the Army Warehouses for ages and the northern exit to the zone always gets me killed by pseudodogs mindfucking me. Is this normal? I can sometimes sneak by to the Garbage, but it's a pain in the rear end.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ I've not played it, but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was. Oblivion Lost seems to get a hard-on killing me at the Freedom blockade into the Red Forest. Just about every time I go there at least one controller pops up along with a few fleshes, a couple pseudodogs and a few packs of blind dogs that just pin me in and rape my health and armor while the controllers gently caress my brain.

Monolith. posted:

Holy moly, awesome.

I think you mean "cheeki breeki"

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 22, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Overwined posted:

Finally got around to playing TFW mod and I really like it so far. Finally got enough rep to sign up with Freedom (because they're chill dudes). But poo poo, Bandits are loving everywhere. They have owned the entry zone to the Army Warehouses for ages and the northern exit to the zone always gets me killed by pseudodogs mindfucking me. Is this normal? I can sometimes sneak by to the Garbage, but it's a pain in the rear end.

Look around the base, there should be a rookie willing to join you and soak up fire. If you're having trouble taking a point call a squad from base or a local squad before you start popping off.

Also if you're hard up for cash/good weapons hang out around the base and wait for an army helo to spawn. Some idiot normally gets caught out and eats it.

E: also don't worry about the red forest for now. The garbage has a lot of points to hold so you might be spreading your squads pretty thin but it and the depot work as a hub. Overall it's worth it to take immediately after securing your faction's zone

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 22, 2014

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
It's been a while since I played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. of any flavour and I've just been replaying here and there the last week or so. Man, I have missed it, other FPS games just aren't the same. I noticed this thread doesn't have as many tales from the Zone as it used to :( so...

I'm playing Clear Sky complete - probably a very old version at this point - and trying to just catch up to that Fang guy, let him know that maybe, just maybe, the Zone doesn't want him and his friends at it's heart. I mean, some guy told me a faction up and disappeared, just like that. They thought some Monolith at the nuclear plant was worth protecting or would make their dreams come true or some drat thing so they left past the barrier and no-one's heard anything since. I'm far from home and working this gig to stop this Fang guy, maybe talk to his boss Strelok, see if he's convinced it's all a big conspiracy like the recordings indicate.

Honestly, I've found people aren't so bad - everybody's just too busy trying to stay alive, trying to enjoy a camp fire, play some music, drink some vodka, keep the cold - keep the Zone - at bay. Even the bandits aren't so bad, I keep outta their way, they mostly keep outta mine. I talked to their boss, some guy called Yoga. I don't think he really has anything to do with yoga, man is he angry. The others at the base were cool, just don't flash your weapon around like a novice. They play fun music over the loudspeaker and most just want some weed, some booze, a little coin and somewhere to stay in when the emissions hit.

That said, I left the bandit base, took a left (always go left) and tried to take a short-cut back to Cordon. The bandits at the check point held me up, took all my roubles - nearly 20k! :argh: - and made out like they were doing me a favour by not killing me and taking my poo poo. I got them back, though, hosed their plans with some guy called Stringov, even managed to get paid by them to kill him.

So now I'm in some place called Agroprom, after some old college used to be. Duty took it over. As much as all the non-Dutyers give out about Duty, they've been good to me, money in my pocket and nothing too hard. They even have a weapon smith who'll upgrade LMGs! Can you believe it? I've never even seen an LMG in the Zone. Holy poo poo, if I got one of those and an exo-skeleton, man...

Anyway, I went by the Freedom base, the sworn enemy of Duty - just over a hill! Like thirty seconds sprinting! Unbelievable! The Zone man, the loving Zone! They're cool, too. I just try to get on, in all the ways, y'know. So I figured, they have all these dogs over one side of the Freedom base, furthest away from Duty. Them dogs get in a big enough pack, they'll go for anything food. Maybe I take them out, the guys at Freedom base give me a better price for things, maybe let me sit down at one of their fires, swap some vodka and tales. So I get up early, thinking I wake the base up with my Toz. I love that Toz, had it upgraded since forever. Duty gave me a free - FREE! - SPAS to do some poo poo for them but it's heavy and my Toz has much better range and I like the sound, beautiful weapon. So, yeah, I go out with my Toz, gonna destroy the pack.

I gunned two down, the rest started running around. Man, I didn't know there was so many! Out of all the shrubs, behind trees and rocks they started running around, snarling, yelping, barking. I missed the next couple and they ran off a bit so I ran up into their den, climbed a rock so they couldn't get me and started picking them off. Then there's this guy, didn't see him until he was like ten feet away. Poor bastard was walking through to, I suppose, the Freedom base, then he's hip deep in angry dog pack. He got two and then they had him. I didn't have a good shot but I had a good view. Poor bastard didn't even have time to draw his side arm and blow his brains out, just got chewed to death.

Right after, his friends - didn't even see his friends - gunned down most of the rest. The last dog kept trying to fight but it's legs weren't working anymore. Still wouldn't die but couldn't fight, couldn't really move. I walked over and finished it off with my Beretta.

His friends, they didn't say anything to me. Ignored me. All "Hold on men, it isn't over" then it was and they just straightened up and walked off. Left their friend, left his stuff. I don't see why the Zone gets to be the only one that takes so I waited a minute and then searched him. He had some stuff, nothing fantastic. Problem was, according to his PDA, his name was Timor Dogman.

Watch what you name yourself, stalker, the Zone doesn't give notice but it surely takes it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Another word of warning to anyone playing Geonezis or any other mod with GOTZ: Don't use the cheat teleporter to get to a place you need to frequent on foot. It fucks up the game by treating spaces within that area as a level changer.

I'm stuck unable to access my stashes in Skadovsk and Yanov station, and now I've deadended the storyline because I can't get into the Scientists' Bunker.

If any of the more knowledgeable modders know of a way to fix it, I'd love to hear it.

Edit: Found a workaround by using the more specific coordinate-based porter to get through the level changer zones.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 23, 2014

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Why does Wolf have a billion and a half health on this Genosis SGM mod.

Also what is this magical forcefield preventing me from getting close to any NPC?

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Can you actually kill him, or do you need to plug a gauss round through his noggin?

I went up to him figuring I'd blast him with my shotgun, but all that happened was me going "I'M REALLY MAD AT YOU AND-" :commissar:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Monolith. posted:

Also what is this magical forcefield preventing me from getting close to any NPC?

I just noticed your name doesn't match your avatar and neither match your quote

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm planning a first full run of SoC with ZRP/Absolute Nature/Structure/Shaders, which seems to be recent consensus here. What's a good weather mod to add to the above and is one needed? I'd just like a good variety in weather, not looking for a mod where it's some particular type of weather all the time.

Does Autumn Aurora change missions or muck about with enemy types and placement to where it's really aimed at a veteran player? If not, it sounds like it could be a good base for a first run.

I just finished a first complete run of FC3 with Ziggy's on master (very good) and am now playing through FC2 with Dylan's on infamous (brilliant, one of the best games I've played) and I'm looking for that kind of gameplay for the next game: tough but fair with plenty of oh gently caress, things are spiraling out of control ... hey, I survived! moments.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Monolith. posted:

Wolf and his guys are immortal until you talk to him.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

v1ld posted:

Does Autumn Aurora change missions or muck about with enemy types and placement to where it's really aimed at a veteran player? If not, it sounds like it could be a good base for a first run.

Autumn Aurora changes enough that I wouldn't recommend using it in a first playthrough. It's not an overhaul but it adds things like new monsters, fucks with the overall atmosphere (everything is, well, greyish/brown), changes how common some weapons and armors are, implements emissions, has some bugs not present in vanilla, etc.

A first playthough with vanilla+ZRP (it already has plenty of optional things built-in that you may want to use) is really the way to go. Not because I'm a narrow-minded purist like some fans of the franchise, but simply because it's the best option to get a general feel of the game.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Basically just play through with the ZRP until you find something that you feel would be neat if it was expanded upon and chances are incredibly good there's a mod out there that does it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Autumn Aurora really changes the HUD, removing ammo counters etc and also includes 'animations' for eating/using bandages and medkits, so you have to wait a few secs after using an item before you can shoot. Especially during the added emissions, using anti-rads at the wrong time can be a death sentence, especially as you have to wait for a bit before using anything else. It does also change the gear various enemies have, particularly the Monolith from my experience with it.

I had played a bunch of COP before playing SOC so it didn't bother me too much, but if it's your first foray into The Zone then maybe just use ZRP and the shaders/textures as AA does add some difficulty.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Does Geonesis have an expanded armoury? would it benefit from one?
Bonus question, i need to muck about with the traders to have them accept more beaten up guns, I am stupid and forgot where they are in cop...? any ideas?
Edit: SGM GEO\gamedata\configs\misc\trade Derp.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Help, I have bugs.

quote:

xrEngine.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stalker Call of Pripyat\bin\xrCore.dll" at 0023:0077E12E, xrDebug::backend()+174 byte(s)

EAX=70A4DB48 EBX=FD8531B0 ECX=70A4DB50 EDX=70A4DC44
ESI=007A88C8 EDI=00000001 FLG=00000212
EBP=001834AC ESP=001824A0 EIP=0077E12E
CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=0053 GS=002B

Two stack traces pointing to xrcore.dll and one two the lua.jit.

Seems my quicksaves are bugged since I last entered Zaton/told Gonta about Magpie and I can't examine the Iron Forest wreck (despite having the key and already havng done the Swamp one).

I think I may have borked my game.

Edit: Got a different crash, also after the Magpie quest. Told Gonta, returned to Yanov, Flint is still there. Trying to talk to him crashed the game. It looks like any save made after telling Gonta about Flint is corrupted.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 23, 2014

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Wolf and his guys are immortal until you talk to him.

Yeah, I did. Then he got all cheeki breeki and I managed to stun lock him with my knife for a minute until he one shot me. Apparently headshots do next to nothing no matter what ammo I uses and rifle grenades just make him yell and get even more angry.

SocketWrench posted:

I just noticed your name doesn't match your avatar and neither match your quote

:spooky:

staberind posted:

Does Geonesis have an expanded armoury? would it benefit from one?
Bonus question, i need to muck about with the traders to have them accept more beaten up guns, I am stupid and forgot where they are in cop...? any ideas?
Edit: SGM GEO\gamedata\configs\misc\trade Derp.

I saw a dude with a FAMAS so I would assume so.

v1ld posted:

As someone who adores the Autumn Aurora mod, I'd say that its probably not a good choice for a first play through. Bullet damage is knocked up several notches and it changes a couple things; you can't see your ammo, medkits and bandages take time to use and you drop your weapon, etc. It's a great mod though but otherwise its fairly barebones with only a couple new weapons and stuff.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 24, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Geonezis has an insanely massive arsenal, way bigger than SGM 2.1 or 2.2 by far. There's even a Gauss pistol that I came SO CLOSE to letting myself cheat spawn.

With Wolf, as with Chepaev and most other "boss" type enemies, you usually have to kill all their dudes before they'll go down. This doesn't always hold true, for example I managed to dorp Phantom with an F1 grenade before taking his two buddies out. It is still a general rule though; for Wolf, I got luck in that he came out to the edge of the dredge station dock, I did the dialogue, then immediately sprinted northwest past the tree, breaking LOS, went west a bit, then looped back up to the big rock formation just southwest of the dredge station. If you're lucky, you can snipe off one or two dudes from there before the grenade rain starts. After that I sprinted back to Skadovsk and fought the rest off from the top deck.

It's really difficult because you're hours away from getting a suit that prevents instadeath from a single rifle burst, and there's precious few vantage points nearby. Too far north and you'll run into an Alpha Squad, west is all swamp, east is a waste of time, and south is a ridge that skylines you.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah apparently because an emission forced him off the Dredge and to the Skadavosk it made him invincible or something. So I shot all his dudes and then he went down.

And now I have a VSS.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Will hold off on Autumn Aurora till a later run, which it sounds like a good fit for - thanks for all the detail. Will stick with ZRP fit this run.

How's Stalker Weather Overhauled 3.1.1 compared to vanilla SoC weather? I saw a post from the lead ZRP dev saying the two are compatible.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's pretty good. It basically overhauls the weather system to look more realistic.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Behold, the rare and elusive Ostrich Bloodsucker

Results of mag dumping a bloodsucker in the top of the tower only to do a header straight down.
This statue didn't last long as another came around soon after and i made use of the fuel drum a few flights up which managed to glitch both bodies into the wall and launch them into the atmosphere. they landed in the Freedom base.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I think I've hit a brick wall in this mod. Is there a guide for the genozsis addon?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I was working on something for Lost Alpha. Still banging my head against the brick wall that is implementing the AO weapons in TFW.

In the meantime, I'm uploading the Lost Alpha addon. Uses a lot of features from OGSE. Some of the better ones.

Pretty limited at the moment since I can't unpack the all.spawn for some reason, but here's the list of options to get an idea of what you can expect:

quote:

[td_options];Options for customizing the Tourist Delight experience.
guns_can_explode = true ;Guns will explode if not maintained.
horror_time = true ;Enables "psychic sickness"
suithud_enable = true ;Enables dynamic hud
blurs_enable = true ;Enables blurring/breathing effect on certain helmets.
breathing_sound = true ;Enables "breathing sound" when wearing helmets with mask.
blood_enable = true ;Enables blood splatter on screen during close-range kills.
bleed_enable = true ;Enables bleeding effect when bleeding heavily.
amk_style_hit = true ;Enables AMK style damage effect. Animation and possible weapon drop when heavily damaged.
shoot_enable = true ;Enables Rulix' shoot effects, recoil animations based on weapon type.
broken_nightvision = false ;Enables 'broken nightvision' effect. Possibly does not work, use at own risk.
glass_sound = true ;Enables sound of breaking glass when suit is damaged. Only for suits that have glass masks, obviously.
food_spoilage = true ;Enables food spoilage when exposed to radiation. Applies to both your food and npc food. Don't be surprised if the only clean source of food you can find is sold by traders.
actor_zombification = false ;Enables the zombification of the player when psy-health is low, or exposed to an emission. Currently has no way to become human, so use at own risk. It will eventually kill you completely.
horror_time_proshow = 10 ;Amount of surges/psi-storm before horror time is forced. Is obviously useless if horror time is disabled.
sanity_effects = false ;Enables augmented reality side effects from the Black Parasite. Black Parasite not really implemented. Doesn't work (yet)
verbose_article = true ;Enables messages when you get a new encyclopedia/pda article.
easier_loadout = false ;Enables extra items in Sidor's drawer when you start. Not currently implemented.
digital_nightvision_always = false ;Enables permanent nightvision effect on weapons that support it. Else, only turns on at specific times.
digital_fov = 35 ;FOV that needs to be 'active' to enable Digital Nightvision. Play around to get the effect you wish.
dn_lumscale = false ;Enables the ability for Digital Nightvision to affect lumscale values. This is based around the default LA r2_sun_lumscale_amb value of 0.4 and may break your user.ltx - use at own risk!
populate_stashes = true ;Enables stashes being 'populated' at the start of the game. Should fix annoying problem where you find a stash, usually after considerable work, and it's empty. Only works with new game start!

It also has the customization pack integrated, which vastly improves the variety of stalkers you'll find while still making factions recognizable (basically changes the face models so you'll still have rookies with rookie outfits, but they'll all look different). There's a few changes to minor aspects of the game, like the Serious pack is the basis so you'll have a few new extra weapons to play around with, and a few bug fixes. There's also minor changes to certain NPCs, so you can find the guy who rescues you if you look around a bit etc.

My connection is currently metered until tomorrow so don't expect it until then :(

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Monolith. posted:

I think I've hit a brick wall in this mod. Is there a guide for the genozsis addon?

What's the issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Vorenus posted:

What's the issue?

Well, I figured it out as I didn't talk to the scientists after getting the new faction quest. Still, a lot of stuff is pretty cryptic and it sucks if you picked up the Informant's quests and then forget where you're supposed to look.