Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

How did you get the panko to stick?

Also, I'm completely unfamiliar with flash frying-any tips?

I pulled them out of the bag after a quick ice bath dunk, dried them off well, then dipped into seasoned flour, then seasoned egg wash, then seasoned panko.

And when I say flash fry I just mean heating the oil up higher than you'd normally fry at. I went a little over 400 but you should be safe(ish) up to 425, and quickly browning the panko. Panko browns quickly which is why I used it. But for this you pretty much want the oil as hot as you can get it without it smoking/spontaneously catching itself on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I've been thinking of trying to make pork katsu using the same sous vide -> flash fry method, glad to hear it works as intended.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Any recommendations to puddle a tri-tip? I did some searching online and the times are all over the place.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Is making black garlic sous vide a thing? I figure it'd keep my house from smelling like garlic for weeks. And the bacteria should die off after 2 weeks of 50C, right?

Had never heard about black garlic before, looks pretty interesting. Does it really need two weeks at 60C? Another thing is drying, a vacuumed bag won't let any moisture out and all black garlic pics I've found look quite dry. I'm up for an experiment though, after new years.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 21, 2014

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Pell posted:

Any recommendations to puddle a tri-tip? I did some searching online and the times are all over the place.

I like them just long enough to come to temp - maybe two hours. After that, it gets mushy without getting tender.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Hmm, I always do my tri tip for 6 hours at 133. Never has it felt mushy.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Got my Anova from Amazon the other day. Tried some salmon filets yesterday, cooking them at 130 degrees for 30 minutes or so, and then a quick sear in my cast iron skillet. They were AWESOME! I'm oven roasting a standing rib roast right now, and I'm using the Anova to make some green beans. Hopefully when I get back home after Christmas I will be able to do some longer cooks on short ribs or tri-tip.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

Had never heard about black garlic before, looks pretty interesting. Does it really need two weeks at 60C? Another thing is drying, a vacuumed bag won't let any moisture out and all black garlic pics I've found look quite dry. I'm up for an experiment though, after new years.

At the very least you can do a week, 40 days is for the full effect.

Yeah, traditionally black garlic is done in boxes or rice cookers with no water, it might be best to do it in a PID setup with a dry rice cooker or slow cooker and thermometer probe (I've seen some setups with wooden boxes like smokers with a PID setup and a hot plate). I don't know how an immersion circulator would be since it involves water and the moisture may or may not cause molding, even if the garlic is in dry jars sitting in the hot water. Who knows?

edit: my mom says if you're going to do it in a dry setup, make sure to put the garlic on top of something like a rack or some stones, so that it's not exposed to direct heat. Also it will smell for the first few days so maybe put it out on the patio or something.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 22, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm starting to wish I'd just ordered the anova one instead of the precision now since I'm still waiting for it to be shipped

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

At the very least you can do a week, 40 days is for the full effect.

Yeah, traditionally black garlic is done in boxes or rice cookers with no water, it might be best to do it in a PID setup with a dry rice cooker or slow cooker and thermometer probe (I've seen some setups with wooden boxes like smokers with a PID setup and a hot plate). I don't know how an immersion circulator would be since it involves water and the moisture may or may not cause molding, even if the garlic is in dry jars sitting in the hot water. Who knows?

edit: my mom says if you're going to do it in a dry setup, make sure to put the garlic on top of something like a rack or some stones, so that it's not exposed to direct heat. Also it will smell for the first few days so maybe put it out on the patio or something.

I have a PID controller and a rice cooker, so I could do it dry as well. But leaving it for hours when I'm at work is not very appealing. This guide: http://www.shinshine.com/my-blog/2014/03/rc-black-garlic.html describes the process in a rice cooker very well. I suppose I could stuff the temp probe in a clove. Not too keen on the smell though, small appartment. I think this will probably go on the back burner until summer when I can leave it outside.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Time to make garum and black garlic on the same balcony. Things will never smell the same again.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Black garlic seems like one of those things that would just be a lot more convenient to buy, cooking garlic for as long as Jesus was in the desert seems like a lot of work.

Made the 72 hour short ribs and had them for dinner with some aligot. Goddamn they were incredible, not just texture but taste, those things were beefy as hell. My mild disappointment with the pork belly is completely gone.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
Did flat brisket for 48 hours at 62C. Pre and post-seared. Rubbed it with a BBQ rub before bagging. Taste and texture were amazing, but it had lost moisture and was a little on the dry side (not too bad though). The bag juices plus some butter made a nice sauce to re-moisten it. I wonder if the rub had too much salt and drew out too much moisture.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
When Anova said the replacement units were better-calibrated and fixed some production issues, they weren't kidding. Got my new unit and the temp is rock-solid and matches my probe thermometer. Very happy, just want the app now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried using my sansaire this weekend and the temp wheel is totally stuck and grinding now and completely nonfunctional. Yay sansaire!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tried using my sansaire this weekend and the temp wheel is totally stuck and grinding now and completely nonfunctional. Yay sansaire!

... that ... sucks? (damnit man, I told you!)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jeoh posted:

Is making black garlic sous vide a thing? I figure it'd keep my house from smelling like garlic for weeks. And the bacteria should die off after 2 weeks of 50C, right?
How did black garlic suddenly enter the public consciousness? I'm actually curious. It's not like it was exactly a secret or obscure or whatever, but it seems like it's suddenly getting a lot more play lately.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SubG posted:

How did black garlic suddenly enter the public consciousness? I'm actually curious. It's not like it was exactly a secret or obscure or whatever, but it seems like it's suddenly getting a lot more play lately.

Was in an episode of bobs burgers? This is like 2 weeks ago or something though

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dane posted:

... that ... sucks? (damnit man, I told you!)

You sure did, so I wan't surprised when it happened. How long is the warrant on these things? Or is it time to get that new Annova?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I think I posted about it a few times in GWS, is it popping up elsewhere?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Has anyone seen this potential sensor probe corrosion issue that some people are having with the Anova One? Mine's in the middle of a 72 hour cook, but I plan on inspecting it carefully once its done.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Seems like. And I don't think it's just me:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I made some sous vide dulce de leche for Christmas gifts, spread a little of the leftover on some panettone this morning and it was awesome. It's so easy.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mons Hubris posted:

I made some sous vide dulce de leche for Christmas gifts, spread a little of the leftover on some panettone this morning and it was awesome. It's so easy.

Did you bother with sterilizing jars or just puddle-in-can?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

SubG posted:

Trader Joes started selling it this year.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You sure did, so I wan't surprised when it happened. How long is the warrant on these things? Or is it time to get that new Annova?

Not sure, but they were really cool about replacing mine at no cost to me, so it's worth a try.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Mons Hubris posted:

Its easier just boiling it in the can IMO. One of the few cases where puddling is actually more difficult, though granted it's still pretty drat easy.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

CrazyLittle posted:

Did you bother with sterilizing jars or just puddle-in-can?

I sterilized the jars first, but honestly I probably wouldn't have bothered if I weren't giving them away.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

SubG posted:

Jose posted:

Was in an episode of bobs burgers? This is like 2 weeks ago or something though

Steve Yun posted:

Gorman Thomas posted:

Trader Joes started selling it this year.

I had to look it up since I had no idea what you nerds were talking about :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_garlic_%28food%29

wikipedia article posted:

It was written up in the Spring 2008 "Design and Living" special section of The New York Times as a "new staple" of modern cuisine (and incorporated into a recipe, "Black Garlic Roast Chicken"); the NYT author, Merrill Stubbs, noted it was being used by chef Bruce Hill of Bix Restaurant, San Francisco.[7] Matthias Merges, executive chef at Charlie Trotter's in Chicago, listed black garlic as one of his top five food finds in Restaurant News in December 2008.[8] The rise of black garlic in the US was called "sensational,"[9] and other trade publications besides Restaurant News have noticed the trend.[10]

It garnered television attention when it was used in battle redfish on Iron Chef America, episode 11 of season 7 (on Food Network), and in an episode of Top Chef New York (on Bravo),[11] where it was added to a sauce accompanying monkfish.[12]

According to Korean Scott Kim he developed black garlic in 2004 and created a distribution company named Black Garlic, which distributes in the US, and is based in Hayward, California.[13]

In the United Kingdom,[5] where it made its TV debut on the BBC's Something for the Weekend cooking and lifestyle program in February 2009.[14] Farmer Mark Botwright owner of the South West Garlic Farm explained that he developed a process for preserving garlic after finding a 4000 year old Korean recipe for "black garlic." BlackGarlic.co

In 2011, it was used on an episode of Food Network's Chopped Champions. In September 2011, it was a mandatory ingredient in the final round of the second episode of Ron Ben-Israel's Sweet Genius.[15]

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE
So last time I posted about doing a beef roast I used brisket and found that 24 hours wasn't long enough. This time I've got a 2kg beef rump roast. I'm getting varying reports from 2 hours anywhere up to 30 hours. I was thinking of doing roughly 24, does anyone think this is too long and 4 hours should be long enough?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mons Hubris posted:

I sterilized the jars first, but honestly I probably wouldn't have bothered if I weren't giving them away.

I want to try leaving them in-can, but the one time I've tried it so far was the whole sterilizing dance.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

I had to look it up since I had no idea what you nerds were talking about :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_garlic_%28food%29

wikipedia posted:

According to Korean Scott Kim he developed black garlic in 2004 and created a distribution company named Black Garlic, which distributes in the US, and is based in Hayward, California.[13]
I must've been hallucinating all those bowls of mayu ramen I ate decades before 2004.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can never trust Koreans.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Apologies if I missed this in the thread. My Anova just came and it's awesome. I saw this linked off of reddit: http://imgur.com/a/pLYdG

I asked the Coleman Customer Service people, and they said the innards are made of polypropylene, which has a melting point of 266F. Has anyone used this for extended 180+F cooks for veggies? I have no doubt that for meats around 140F it would probably be just fine...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Finally broke out the new Anova. Have some pork loin at 140F in one container and carrots at 183 in another.

And I found out I am getting a pressure cooker for Christmas. I am in home cooking hog heaven I tell you whut.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Anyone remember the numbers for the long-cook (I want to say korean style?) hard boiled eggs that start browning? Was it 65@6hr?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

kensei posted:

Apologies if I missed this in the thread. My Anova just came and it's awesome. I saw this linked off of reddit: http://imgur.com/a/pLYdG

I asked the Coleman Customer Service people, and they said the innards are made of polypropylene, which has a melting point of 266F. Has anyone used this for extended 180+F cooks for veggies? I have no doubt that for meats around 140F it would probably be just fine...

266 degrees? You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Even if you set it to boil, the water in a sous vide would regulate the temp and keep it from going over 212 until all the water evaporates.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't deep fry in it though

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

kensei posted:

I've made glazed carrots at 180+ in my (taller, skinnier) Party Stacker several times with no warping, plastic smell or any other adverse effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh my god. I'm making the Modernist Cuisine Pommes Puree. These taste like mashed butter. 40% butter by weight. :eyepop: