Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Chasiubao posted:

My 920 just popped the notification saying welcome to Denim. I'm on AT&T, but I had a preview build cause of the Band. Not through the official developer preview app, mind you, but via the Health app.

Same. I think it's an Extras & Info bug with the recent update.

While the features it provides are pivotal, I am perturbed about Dev Preview for MS Band. Being highly informal next to the normal process, I figured the update was going to be only the little bits of code the Band needs and not a true update. My 1020 runs comparatively bad on Dev Preview and it's a headache to know I have to wipe as soon as the update officially releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

soapgish posted:

While the features it provides are pivotal, I am perturbed about Dev Preview for MS Band. Being highly informal next to the normal process, I figured the update was going to be only the little bits of code the Band needs and not a true update. My 1020 runs comparatively bad on Dev Preview and it's a headache to know I have to wipe as soon as the update officially releases.

Wait what? Fuuuuuuck :suicide:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The Denim rollout list is on the link below for Europe. If you go up a level you should be able to get the rest of the world as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The Denim rollout list is on the link below for Europe. If you go up a level you should be able to get the rest of the world as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-europe/

That says my 620 on Cricket should have Amber, but it certainly came with Cyan.

edit: Ooops I have a 635. Goddamn I hate these naming schemes.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 19, 2014

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
Hell's frozen over.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"What's the absolute least we can do for our users this holiday season"

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

insert_funny posted:

Hell's frozen over.

It's about loving time. I can't believe my phone has been on Black this entire time.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'll believe it when I see it.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

That list isn't up to date because the Lumia 735 is out in the UK now, especially seeing as Microsoft are advertising Cortana everywhere round here.

Get it together, Microsoft!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For a second I thought he meant the Icon was being sold again and I got all excited :(

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

Charles Martel posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

My phone is updating right now and I still don't believe it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

soapgish posted:

I just checked, the Nokia section says I'm on Denim, but the OS version is clearly not that. I'm on the weird Band-OS version after all :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I was reading around and stumbled on the store with this:
Quickplay pro
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/quickplay-pro/52af5709-b1b7-44b1-8598-1b8178205b0f

After some testing this app can play videos, play music through playlists, metadata or folders :tviv: Basically blows all the other apps I was using out of the water.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

Well, a few of my apps now have no icon and I have two Games (one blank and not working) listed in my apps menu. Better drink my own piss get out the recovery tool.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Whatever you do, DO NOT install The Chive's new app (featured on windowscentral.com's home page).

Doing so will gently caress your phone up beyond belief. The only solution is a hard reset/Lumia Restore program full format. The power button will not work and the phone will generally freeze to all hell and back, unresponsive. Uninstalling the app is no fix (I tried it myself - nope, full format to get it working again).

:bravo:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Man, if you read the Chive, you deserve all of that poo poo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So uhhh apparently Snapchat is locking the accounts of 6snap users

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

loquacius posted:

And all the snapchat apps are gone from the marketplace. Don't uninstall 6snap if you want to keep it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Man, if you read the Chive, you deserve all of that poo poo

I don't "read the chive" but installed it for the hell of it. It broke my phone. Was just a PSA.

Also some 5 minute workout app did the same thing. Its more of a concern that a single poorly coded app can cause your phone to freeze and not work. Uninstalling doesn't help. The only solution is to do an entire format, losing everything. That's pretty concerning if you ask me.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 20, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Naffer posted:

And all the snapchat apps are gone from the marketplace. Don't uninstall 6snap if you want to keep it.

I didn't understand the "eliminate third-party apps and don't make a first-party one either" move when Google pulled it and it makes even less sense coming from a company that doesn't directly gain financially from Windows Phone crashing and burning.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

hotsauce posted:

Also some 5 minute workout app did the same thing. Its more of a concern that a single poorly coded app can cause your phone to freeze and not work. Uninstalling doesn't help. The only solution is to do an entire format, losing everything. That's pretty concerning if you ask me.

Here's the thing. It's probably not poorly coded nor their fault. I had the exactly same thing happen with my PSN app, and to this day have no idea why it broke like that. That had zero background tasks, used very little memory (my first thought was maybe it was a memory leak, but the powertools did not indicate that was happening, and it would have crashed if it was.) and I basically ripped it apart trying to figure it out, only to give up and just pull the app. Every time I thought it was X issue, I would release a new version only to see other people still affected by it.

I'm not saying my app, nor theirs is not poorly coded, but my blame would probably go first to the platform itself.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Drastic Actions posted:

Here's the thing. It's probably not poorly coded nor their fault. I had the exactly same thing happen with my PSN app, and to this day have no idea why it broke like that. That had zero background tasks, used very little memory (my first thought was maybe it was a memory leak, but the powertools did not indicate that was happening, and it would have crashed if it was.) and I basically ripped it apart trying to figure it out, only to give up and just pull the app. Every time I thought it was X issue, I would release a new version only to see other people still affected by it.

I'm not saying my app, nor theirs is not poorly coded, but my blame would probably go first to the platform itself.

I'm curious - do you still develop for WP for pleasure? Or what keeps you interested in the platform?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm curious - do you still develop for WP for pleasure? Or what keeps you interested in the platform?

To an extent. I am a C# guy; that's the language I'm most conformable with. I still like the platform itself for development, and considering how few apps there are, there is a good shot the one you come up with could be the very first one (Or at least the first good one). It does give smaller developers a shot to get something big out there, compared with the App/Play store where it's so saturated it's drat hard to release something that does not already have multiple variants. Also seeing that Bootleg Robot abandoned his app, I have to keep my Awful app working for people because I feel bad if there was no forums app at all.

Of course, I now work for Xamarin as an ASP.NET developer, so I get access to their tools for free and have started playing around with Andorid/iOS. At some point I will release something for that too, but Windows Phone and Windows 8 are just fun to prototype in. And by starting with a Windows 8/Windows Phone app, I can build the libraries that I can then use in the Android/iOS versions. It gives me a really good base to start from.

And honestly, I still think a good Windows Phone app can look better than an iOS or Android app, when given time and effort. Two things that no Windows Phone developer actually does, because why bother :v:.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Interesting read. Where do you see things going over the next few years for the platform?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

loquacius posted:

I didn't understand the "eliminate third-party apps and don't make a first-party one either" move when Google pulled it and it makes even less sense coming from a company that doesn't directly gain financially from Windows Phone crashing and burning.

This isn't about Windows Phone. Snapchat are clamping down on any and all unofficial apps to avoid further security issues.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Wheezle posted:

This isn't about Windows Phone. Snapchat are clamping down on any and all unofficial apps to avoid further security issues.

It's not directed at Window's phone, but the little issue is Snapchat won't make an official app for the WP platform.

They really should just give Rudy Huyn money for his app and make it the official one. But they won't.

I care not. Never used snapchat in my life because I'm old, but it does seem to be an odd position for them to take. I can understand iOS and Android since they have official apps on those platforms, but to ban WP user's shapchat accounts because they use 6snap while ignoring the platform? Ok.

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

Well, one nice thing to take from the 8.1 update is the TuneIn app is now unborked (at least for me). On 8, it always had trouble with most streams on cellular data; when it wasn't constantly buffering, whatever was playing was choppy and unlistenable.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Naffer posted:

Don't uninstall 6snap if you want to keep it.

Just last night I was trying to buy ad removal, puzzled as to why I was getting an error code. Such an idiotic situation.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

loquacius posted:

I feel like there should be some amazing metaphor here about the widening app gap and winphone being a leap of faith towards the gap

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah it'd be great if Microsoft could expend some of that renowned corporate pressure and get Snapchat to write a goddamn WP app already

Or, y'know, buy them. They could do that too.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I hate to ask this in the WP thread but feel it might be more useful over here than in the Android thread. I snagged a used Moto G for $40 and want to test out this whole Microsoft on Android thing for future recommendations to all the people (including myself) that I know on WP, if they think about switching. If they can switch devices but keep using all the same services they love then it'd be easier on them/me. Basically I have two questions:

*Is there a guide or something on this already that covers using Android without Google, or even specifically with MS? (is this possible?)
*I have an older Google account with a bunch of purchased apps from my Android days and my current Nexus 7. Can I dump gmail and all Google ties but retain those apps?

Just to clarify where those are coming from, I found some things online that say you can delete your gmail account but keep your Google account. I'm tempted to do it but there are so many settings and accounts and poo poo tied together that I'm worried about doing something permanent accidently, not having all the facts. My gmail just forwards to my outlook account, I've never actually used it other than being forced to use it on Youtube and the Play Store in the past. I have 0 Youtube things I care about, I just need the login to watch 18+ videos. I'd love to just use nothing but MS services. No Google+, Drive, Calendar, etc. I have this huge Google+ page filled with news content and I've seriously never set it up or used it that I'm aware of, and that kind of stuff infuriates me. No I don't use Facebook either, I'm a curmudgeon and hate social media (other than Twitter as a news feed).

Like a few others in this thread WP actually works great still for what I want in a smartphone, I'm just being proactive in case the new year brings no good news and people start telling me they want to jump ship, what do I do, etc. Plus this helps with Android tablets as well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

*Is there a guide or something on this already that covers using Android without Google, or even specifically with MS? (is this possible?)
*I have an older Google account with a bunch of purchased apps from my Android days and my current Nexus 7. Can I dump gmail and all Google ties but retain those apps?

Install the Microsoft apps and ignore the Google ones? Not sure you need a guide for that.

OldPueblo posted:

I have this huge Google+ page filled with news content and I've seriously never set it up or used it that I'm aware of, and that kind of stuff infuriates me.

Why would this infuriate you? Ignore it (like I did SkyDrive/OneDrive when using WP!) and stop being an idiot.

E: Do you not realize you can set default apps on Android? You don't have to use any Google service if there's an alternative available. No, you can't use the Play Store without a Google account, just like you can't use any app store without the appropriate account.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 21, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm 95% certain you need a Google account to use Android, definitely to use the Play Store. This does not need to be you Gmail account or anything. You can create a new account just for the phone. Hell, you can have multiple Google accounts at the same time for different services instead of trying it all together.

You can configure that account to sync different things, so just turn that all off.

I don't think there's an easy way to uninstall the Google Apps, but you can hide them in Lollipop (which I think the Moto G is running).

Otherwise, you just add you MS account and use that for those apps. I don't use the Office apps, but that's how OneDrive works.

You can always ignore the Play Store and use 3rd party app stores (like Amazon's). Or, since it should be easy on the Moto G, wipe Android off of it and install CyanogenMod or some other fork of the OS.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

I hate to ask this in the WP thread but feel it might be more useful over here than in the Android thread. I snagged a used Moto G for $40 and want to test out this whole Microsoft on Android thing for future recommendations to all the people (including myself) that I know on WP, if they think about switching. If they can switch devices but keep using all the same services they love then it'd be easier on them/me. Basically I have two questions:

Just to clarify where those are coming from, I found some things online that say you can delete your gmail account but keep your Google account. I'm tempted to do it but there are so many settings and accounts and poo poo tied together that I'm worried about doing something permanent accidently, not having all the facts. My gmail just forwards to my outlook account, I've never actually used it other than being forced to use it on Youtube and the Play Store in the past. I have 0 Youtube things I care about, I just need the login to watch 18+ videos. I'd love to just use nothing but MS services. No Google+, Drive, Calendar, etc. I have this huge Google+ page filled with news content and I've seriously never set it up or used it that I'm aware of, and that kind of stuff infuriates me. No I don't use Facebook either, I'm a curmudgeon and hate social media (other than Twitter as a news feed).

Like a few others in this thread WP actually works great still for what I want in a smartphone, I'm just being proactive in case the new year brings no good news and people start telling me they want to jump ship, what do I do, etc. Plus this helps with Android tablets as well.

I just signed in with my gmail account, (which also forwards to outlook.com) and just installed the various apps that I care about. All I use my google account for is the play store. My youtube account is still separate, and I don't give a poo poo about google+.

You can remove most of the google apps/widgets and throw whatever in there, although Google Now is useful enough that I leave it in place. This is probably still pretty close to what I use: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/android-windows-guy-microsoft-apps although I have added the new MSN apps to the mix.

Most of the Microsoft apps can hook in deeply enough to be full fledged replacements for any of the Google Services, but I do use Nine for activesync for work (which is a paid app). Hopefully Microsoft purchasing accompli helps in this regard.

Contacts blow on android (and iOS too for that matter) compared to Windows Phone, I haven't honestly found a good replacement for that. With the right widgets, you can get a fairly minimal homescreen setup that's not 500 pages of icons and is still fairly useful, although Android really wants you do everything through the notification center.

Honestly, going from WP to iOS or Android is really not too painful, Microsoft has done a good job of supporting both of those platforms, I just look at the initial ecosystem specific sign-on as being for the store, as I don't really give a poo poo about any of their other services.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 21, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Contacts blow on android (and iOS too for that matter) compared to Windows Phone, I haven't honestly found a good replacement for that.

Can I ask what you're looking for? Is it something to just bring all your various contact lists under one umbrella?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Uthor posted:

Can I ask what you're looking for? Is it something to just bring all your various contact lists under one umbrella?

I really loved the aggregation of services into the people hub in windows phone. Unless I don't understand how contacts work on Android, it doesn't seem to offer any of that, just a fairly boring view into the data in my contacts list. I thought Windows Phone did a really good job of stitching together all of that data into one unified view for a person, beyond just "phone number", "email address".

iOS seems to try slightly harder, but its facebook and twitter integrations just don't work for the vast majority of my contacts.

I've found 3rd party programs on each platform that make the experience slightly better, but in both cases the OS designers for iOS/Android don't really seem to be envisioning a use case beyond an electronic version of a paper address book.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, okay. I haven't really seen much other than aggregating info from different services. And, personally, I just want a meticulously curated paper address book because that's just how I roll.

Contacts+ seems to do a little of that. I haven't used it, but from a video I saw, I'm guessing that it just acts like a browser to link you directly to the various services' web apps.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.contapps.android&hl=en

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

Most of the Microsoft apps can hook in deeply enough to be full fledged replacements for any of the Google Services, but I do use Nine for activesync for work (which is a paid app). Hopefully Microsoft purchasing accompli helps in this regard.

I've been using Acompli at work (connecting to Office 365) and so far I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing is that it keeps its own calendar, e.g. it doesn't integrate right now with the stock Android Calendar, at least on my Moto X.

Disclaimer: I work for MS, nothing to do with phones or Acompli, and nothing I say is the official or unofficial opinion of MS, Satya, or anyone else.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I woke up and was kind of surprised, this is still way more support than my last two verizon phones received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

MyFaceBeHi posted:

That list isn't up to date because the Lumia 735 is out in the UK now, especially seeing as Microsoft are advertising Cortana everywhere round here.

Get it together, Microsoft!
I'm really perplexed as to why this phone available in the US. T-Mobile's current windows phone choices are either the $600 HTC or the Lumia 635, and there is no way anyone should be buying a 512 MB WP at this point.