Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, Clark Kent is the secret identity in the sense that Superman doesn't want to be Superman all the time and just needs some down time to feel like a normal person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

CuwiKhons posted:

As for Batman's secret identity, there was some recent comic I didn't read where he did like a press conference as Bruce Wayne and said "So for the record, I bankroll Batman, just an fyi" which was a loving genius move.

I know it's comics, and nobody thinks about this sort of stuff, but isn't Batman still technically an illegal vigilante, and the only reason he gets away with anything is Commissioner Gordon refuses to investigate him? Bruce Wayne just said "I give money to a felon specifically so that he can commit felonies.".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Considering Batman's a part of the Justice League (unless he's been booted off following that Babel comic), shouldn't he have good enough publicity to be able to operate in the city?

Onmi posted:

No I mean think of it as some random shmuck, if you look at a guy with no mask, do you think "Who are you secretly?" no, because Superman isn't hiding anything.

Oh, I see what you mean. Makes sense.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 21, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm not sure vigilantes actually are illegal anymore in the DC universe, considering they pretty openly have stuff like the Justice League and nobody in the government ever goes "hey, no, stop that"

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

I know it's comics, and nobody thinks about this sort of stuff, but isn't Batman still technically an illegal vigilante, and the only reason he gets away with anything is Commissioner Gordon refuses to investigate him? Bruce Wayne just said "I give money to a felon specifically so that he can commit felonies.".

Modern corporations have gotten away with worse. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, Clark Kent is the secret identity in the sense that Superman doesn't want to be Superman all the time and just needs some down time to feel like a normal person.

No I mean think of it as some random shmuck, if you look at a guy with no mask, do you think "Who are you secretly?" no, because Superman isn't hiding anything.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
There's also pic floating around, showcasing the main points of "disguise" - glasses, ruffle up the hair, slight slouch. It's plausible that it has enough differences with the meek reporter personality to fearless invulnerable alien.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I remember watching something from one of the animated series where luthor like mind controls flash, takes off his mask and pretty much goes "I have no idea who this is" :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's a pretty great scene, yeah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Beyond's last episode had a good example of why you shouldn't tell people your secret identity. As to get a child in a burning house out, Terry took off the mask to let him know that yes, he was a human too. Unfortunately essentially a cult found out and started making moves to get this child and torture him till he told them. Terry saved the kid but he makes the point that he doesn't want people to know because even inadvertently it can be dangerous for them.

This isn't the same for everyone. Guy Gardner and John Stewert both forewent a mask as 'Green Lantern' because they had nothing to hide. Conversly, Kyle Rayner wore probably the most concealing mask of a Green Lantern, and double hilariously had the highest amount of people figure it out. In the Nu52 he's actually the only lantern that the Government doesn't know the identity of for a change of pace.

speaking of Kyle another great example of how it can be poo poo to share your secret with friends and loved ones. As the catalyst for him finally taking the GPGR message to heart was his girlfriend becoming the most popular 'stuffed in a fridge' examples. Which I always found annoying because it's not a particularly bad moment storyline wise, but this one gets the focus out of millions of worse ones.

Worse still, they threw out drat near everything else regarding his backstory when they rebooted but they kept that, the one thing I think everyone would be happy they just leave in the past.

But yes, Kyle's loved ones wound up getting put in danger for knowing him, both from earth villains and space villains. Because writers are hacks when it comes to drama they're easy targets. unpowered humans easily become the targets of super powere villains to get to their equally super powered nemesis.

Now mind you... If the freaking world already knows that Superman is in love with Lois Lane and always comes to save her, she's already a target, do her a favor and let HER know at the very least.

Where was I going with this again? Right, it all depends on the story and hero themselves. I believe Wally Wests Flash was publicly known to be Wally West, but as said before, the Rogues do not gently caress with the Flash because that would be breaking the rules.

drat it I really wanted to post a page from Marvel Adventures: Spiderman. Where he's fighting some mobsters and one of them suggests shooting Chat, his girlfriend who speaks to animals as her mutant power. Spidey immediatly stops grabs him by the collar and says "Nobody shoots the girl, just saying that means you don't get to play this game anymore." and then summarily throws said mobster out a window.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

What I like about the cartoons and this game is how ridiculously huge Superman and Batman (and all the other heroes) are. Like at the start of the game Jack Ryder refuses to listen to Bruce Wayne because he's never been in a fight. The dude is almost twice your size and has biceps bigger than your head, he can probably scare some of the criminals off if anything. Same with Clark Kent who is this mild mannered little nerd who is over six feet tall and with arms thicker than Lois Lane's entire body.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Like at the start of the game Jack Ryder refuses to listen to Bruce Wayne because he's never been in a fight. The dude is almost twice your size and has biceps bigger than your head, he can probably scare some of the criminals off if anything.

Maybe Bruce was slouching. :v:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
No challenge video today, just THE END OF THE MAIN STORY YOU GUYS.

The Last Laugh/Polsy - Interview tape: Catwoman 2

Character bios: Clayface

Someone had requested looking at Hugo Strange in detective vision before you break into his glass house. He's talking to Batman like he's the king of the world but it turns out he's kinda nervous.

I picked this picture up at the end of the story in New Game+. Turns out that thugs with knives and ninjas slice REALLY FAST on Hard New Game+. Not fast enough to stop THE BATMAN though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Prime example of the stupidity I keep talking about: Joker chooses to stab batman right in the arm holding the cure.
Not hard to be the world's greatest detective when your opposition is this.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Lex Luthor's blind spot concerning Superman's secret identity was explained to me as Luthor really not understanding why Superman does what he does.

Superman's an alien space god, right? He has all of these super powers. If you were a powerful alien space god, what would you do with your powers? Well, if you're someone like Lex, you'd use them to get rich...well, richer. You'd become powerful, maybe take over a few countries just because you can. Bang anyone you want, and make sure everyone knows that you're the most powerful force on the planet.

The idea that an alien space god would live quietly on a farm in Kansas and then take a job as a simple news reporter while pretending to be meek and wimpy sounds utterly nonsensical to Luthor's selfish logic. That said space god would then put on blue tights and go around helping people for no reward sounds even more unbelievable. Luthor thinks Superman is conning the planet with his "hero"act and proving he's a fake is a challenge worthy of Lex's genius.

I wonder if Batman's identity is protected in a similar way. "Bruce Wayne is Batman? Don't be ridiculous. Bruce Wayne is handsome, rich, and powerful. He has everything you could ever want, why would he go out every night and risk losing it all to a lucky bullet from some common thug?"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, that story was an absolute mess and not nearly as interesting as Asylum. Also, hilarious to have Batman just kinda leave Talia's body to mournfully carry the Joker out. His true love!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
On the other hand, Superman doesn't have obvious motivation to help people like "tortured avenger crying out for mommy and daddy" as Bat-Mite so eloquently put it. From there one could narrow it down to few Gothamites who can bankroll Batman, and plausibly finger Bruce Wayne.

Which is muddled with the aforementioned public announcement in Batman Inc, which makes probably half of citizens possible candidates when Joker has killed ridiculous number of people.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Onmi posted:

drat it I really wanted to post a page from Marvel Adventures: Spiderman. Where he's fighting some mobsters and one of them suggests shooting Chat, his girlfriend who speaks to animals as her mutant power. Spidey immediatly stops grabs him by the collar and says "Nobody shoots the girl, just saying that means you don't get to play this game anymore." and then summarily throws said mobster out a window.
Venture Bros. totally plays off this kind of stuff, taking it to its logical extreme. Supervillians and superheros have overarching organizations that police their own and make sure "protagonists" and "antagonists" play by the rules. The supervillain guild actually financially supports normal human law enforcement, so cops and supervillains leave each other alone. There's even an organization that hunts down supervillains that go rogue. SHPINX

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GuyUpNorth posted:

There's also pic floating around, showcasing the main points of "disguise" - glasses, ruffle up the hair, slight slouch. It's plausible that it has enough differences with the meek reporter personality to fearless invulnerable alien.

Also, look at Christopher Reeve in the movies, he really sells that Clark and Superman are two different people, even though we know they're not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really have no idea what Talia was trying to accomplish. As soon as Batman shows up to save her, she stabs "Joker" in the stomach. It's not like she wanted him to kill Joker to prove he loved her or anything. So why didn't she just do that at the Steel Mill? I can't imagine that she wanted Batman to show he loved her, considering that he saves her from being killed by Ra's earlier.

And then there's the fact that she knew he was dying and that Protocol 10 was about to start, yet she opted to make him come and find her to get the cure even though he literally almost dropped dead on her doorstep the last time he saw her.

Then there's the fact that she says "Ignore him" when Joker tells him to come to the movie theater to save her. Did she want to save Bruce or not? :psyduck:

Really, it just seems like she made a series of bad decisions because the writers wanted to build up the Clayface plot twist. Not to mention that Batman should've checked Joker with Detective Mode at least once to see what was going on considering that drinking a cure, no matter how good it was, shouldn't have magically fixed all of Joker's skin damage and made him look exactly the same as he used to.

And, again, where in the hell was Talia's guard the entire time this was going on? Not to mention the fact that Joker knows what the Lazarus Pit is, where it is, but didn't use it despite the fact that we literally do not see any ninjas nearby to stop him at all. Probably just so the "Will Batman save him?" ending looks more dramatic.

Also, one other thing: the Joker that was shown as Deceased in the chair at the beginning of the game was the real Joker. How anti-climactic would it have been if he just dropped dead right then and there, ruining and his Clayface's plan? :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 21, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Also, hilarious to have Batman just kinda leave Talia's body to mournfully carry the Joker out. His true love!

If he leaves Talia's body, odds are some member of the League of Assassin's will find it and make every effort to get her back. Granted, Batman also just destroyed the only Lazarus Pit he knows about so that might put a damper on bringing her back.

Clayface legitimately surprised me the first time I played through. There's a ton of hints if you care to find them all, but Clayface is one of those villains that I just forget exists most of the time. But even as early as the first time you roll through the Steel Mill you can hear Harley go "Oh, Mista J, you look so much better! Oh wait, it's not you is it?" "Shut up Harley!", and as late in the game as the last romp through the Steel Mill with fake Joker complaining about Lost on camera, and whoever is holding the camera starts coughing slightly, and the Joker not having a skeleton if you use detective vision in the funhouse brawl.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not to mention the fact that Joker knows what the Lazarus Pit is, where it is, but didn't use it despite the fact that we literally do not see any ninjas nearby to stop him at all. Probably just so the "Will Batman save him?" ending looks more dramatic.

With Clayface clogging the works, and Batman destroying whatever that thingy was, the Lazarus Pit doesn't actually work anymore. I don't remember if it's ever mentioned in game, but I definitely remember an interview or something where they said that Lazarus Pit is broken now. And even if it did work, I'm not sure Joker knows how it works. He probably thinks there's some kind of mechanism he needs to activate rather than just taking a nose dive into it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Batman Beyond owned really hard outside of the "conclusion" it was given in the Justice League cartoon (spoilers: it's really retarded and destroys the idea of a self-made hero in favor of the dumbest excesses and cliches of comic books where EVERYTHING was planned in advance).

The Return of the Joker movie was actually violent enough that it got censored for broadcast. Like nothing crazy but definitely a bit of a harder edge than the original animated series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

One neat thing that wasn't mentioned in the video: during the segment where Batman uses the sword, you can actually do variations of Batman's moves. I know for certain that Special Combo Takedown does a new animation and the Bat-Swarm is changed to a wide sword sweep around the room.

Also, Scruffy didn't really zoom in on "Joker" during the video, likely to keep the surprise up, but if you look closely, you can see that he doesn't have a spine or any internal organs during that brief time you see him outside of the movie theater. The same is also true during the Joker boss fight. So, if you accidentally turn on Detective Mode at that time, you can see what the twist is before it happens.

Of course, Batman is canonically ignorant to that fact, so it's just a neat Easter Egg.

CuwiKhons posted:

With Clayface clogging the works, and Batman destroying whatever that thingy was, the Lazarus Pit doesn't actually work anymore. I don't remember if it's ever mentioned in game, but I definitely remember an interview or something where they said that Lazarus Pit is broken now. And even if it did work, I'm not sure Joker knows how it works. He probably thinks there's some kind of mechanism he needs to activate rather than just taking a nose dive into it.

No no, I mean before Clayface fell into it. He knew what it was the moment he saw it somehow. So Talia must have told him the location.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 21, 2014

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

He still doesn't necessarily know how it works. Which really just makes him shooting Talia that much dumber.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Talia's actions seem illogical because they are. She wants Batman to prove he loves her enough to come charging to the rescue even though he's had the crap kicked out of him and been blown up, because that's how they met and that's what she loves about him. She was always going to give him the cure.

Joker just shot her because he was a dick. He probably got her to tell him where the pit was, because to her he's a complete non-issue that can be killed at her convenience. Talia, of course, fails to realize how unpredictable Gotham and the Joker can be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I really have no idea what Talia was trying to accomplish.

Well, you know. There was an empty refrigerator and she just couldn't let that stand.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Another thing that confuses me about this abysmal plot, why didn't Joker use the cure as soon as Harley stole it from Freeze? :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Another thing that confuses me about this abysmal plot, why didn't Joker use the cure as soon as Harley stole it from Freeze? :psyduck:

He never had it.

Harley stole the cure, got intercepted by Talia (which is why she's tied up in the Steel Mill), and then Talia hides it from both Batman and Joker for the whole game.

I'm rather curious why Talia went through all of the trouble to tie up Harley rather than killing her and hiding the body, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Harley didn't get it back to Joker; she was tied up because Talia caught her.

Also, meanwhile, I just imagine Nora defrosting quietly while Freeze taps his foot, wondering where Batman is with his wife.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So, you gotta wonder if there is something significant about the cure ending up in the other hand when Batman wakes up.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He never had it.

Harley stole the cure, got intercepted by Talia (which is why she's tied up in the Steel Mill), and then Talia hides it from both Batman and Joker for the whole game.

I'm rather curious why Talia went through all of the trouble to tie up Harley rather than killing her and hiding the body, though.

:downs: Well that completely flew over my head. I thought Joker tied Harley up out of sheer amusement.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 21, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't think this game's plot is the best, but I love that Clayface reveal. It was such a good "Holy poo poo" moment for me the first time I played, and the way it flashes through all the moments while playing clips like The Usual Suspects just makes me wish Batman had a Bat-coffee mug to drop during that scene.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

:downs: Well that completely flew over my head. I thought Joker tied Harley up out of sheer amusement.

Well that's not out of character for him, granted.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005
Maybe I missed something, but if they are out of cure, then what about all the people with Joker's blood in the hospitals? I guess they are all dead or something since the rest of the cure is on the ground?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pretty much, Moot.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This game has a number of unfortunate implications actually.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want to know how many political prisoners died considering that most of them were aboveground.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So, you gotta wonder if there is something significant about the cure ending up in the other hand when Batman wakes up.

I'm willing to bet it's just a continuity error.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
I like how they quietly imply that the fact you were fighting Clayface is why you couldn't actually bring the Joker down during the Brawl.

TheOneTrueKing posted:

I'm willing to bet it's just a continuity error.

I disagree. It can be noted that the vial was full before the blast, and was half full after. Batman was cured by someone while he was out of it. Though that quickly turns things into wild mass guessing territory trying to figure out who did it, personally my money's on Talia. I mean come on, why wouldn't she have bullet-proof armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Because there's no way she can have anything bigger than a kevlar bra in that outfit.

• Locked thread