Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The best parts of Assault on Arkham were Batman showing up to pull that move from Batman Returns on Zsasz and the implication that Batman goes to Arkham so much that he can tell at a glance from security footage that the Thursday crew was working instead of the Friday crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Completely disagree. It would have been fine as a joke, but they played it straight and it's loving absurd. I absolutely believe that Batman is an anal retentive weirdo who has memorized the Arkham schedules and blows a gasket every time the guards casually trade shifts, but that doesn't mean I want the movie to actually portray him as that guy and act like it's reasonable behavior. Even having him mention it to Oracle and having a brief cutaway for her to roll her eyes at him would have made it more palatable, but instead it comes off as the little kid on the playground going "nuh uh, batman could too survive a meteor strike"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

CuwiKhons posted:

Completely disagree. It would have been fine as a joke, but they played it straight and it's loving absurd. I absolutely believe that Batman is an anal retentive weirdo who has memorized the Arkham schedules and blows a gasket every time the guards casually trade shifts, but that doesn't mean I want the movie to actually portray him as that guy and act like it's reasonable behavior. Even having him mention it to Oracle and having a brief cutaway for her to roll her eyes at him would have made it more palatable, but instead it comes off as the little kid on the playground going "nuh uh, batman could too survive a meteor strike"

That's kind of par for the course with Batman writing though? At least in the past decade or so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair, Batman should be memorizing the Arkham guard shifts because that poo poo goes wrong constantly. I'd remember that before I"d remember Aquaman's phone number.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think it's too unreasonable to suggest that Batman knows their schedules. I mean, they probably print out a weekly schedule for the employees, and Batman's there almost all of the time.

I'm sure he's requested a copy now and then and maybe even some information on which doctors are treating what patients just to avoid any unfortunate mishaps.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Re: this week's schedules
to: admin@arkham.com, j.gordo@gcpd.org, batman@wayneenterprises.com

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I think I was just really, really angry and disappointed in the movie by that point so I was more annoyed by it than I might have otherwise been.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

BCC: ocobblepot@iceberglounge.com waller@argus.gov nightwing@haleyscircus.com

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

That just makes me wonder what Batman names his wifi network.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CuwiKhons posted:

This is actually the reason why Batman is so fuckin badass. In fact it's completely in character and not at all weird. It's weird that you think it's weird. If Batman, the king of preparedness, has years to prepare, he will be insanely prepared.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Canemacar posted:

DefinitelyNotTheBatCave

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Linksys

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

That's kind of par for the course with Batman writing though? At least in the past decade or so.

Just because it's the dominant style doesn't mean it's a good one.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I can't get into this game, it's too edgy and grimdark. It looks like something an emo 16-year-old would think was really cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

circ dick soleil posted:

I can't get into this game, it's too edgy and grimdark. It looks like something an emo 16-year-old would think was really cool.

Which game? Asylum? City? Origins?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Doesn't matter which. You hold him down, and I'll work him over with a tire iron

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is actually the reason why Batman is so fuckin badass. In fact it's completely in character and not at all weird. It's weird that you think it's weird. If Batman, the king of preparedness, has years to prepare, he will be insanely prepared.

Honestly, Batman's portrayal as an 11th dimensional chess master is getting tired as gently caress. I don't mind it if it's used sparingly, but he's basically de facto super powered. It wastes Batman's most appealing characteristic, namely that he has no super powers.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Canemacar posted:

It's a hidden network that doesn't broadcast and you need to know the SSID to connect. That SSID is "FOUND YOU" and if you're unauthorized and connect, when you turn away from your screen Batman will be there to punch you in the face.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Honestly, Batman's portrayal as an 11th dimensional chess master is getting tired as gently caress. I don't mind it if it's used sparingly, but he's basically de facto super powered. It wastes Batman's most appealing characteristic, namely that he has no super powers.

Yeah, the whole "Batman is always prepared" deal is supposed to be that he thinks quick on his feet and is broadly skilled and equipped to handle many contingencies, not that he has literally preplanned all uncertainties out of every possible encounter. I'm glad the Invisible Predator sequences in these games work largely on the former premise and not the latter.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My point originally was that its not unreasonable for Batman to know the shifts of the guards in Arkham. If it is information written on paper, his only superpower is a photographic memory. Super memory.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, the whole "Batman is always prepared" deal is supposed to be that he thinks quick on his feet and is broadly skilled and equipped to handle many contingencies, not that he has literally preplanned all uncertainties out of every possible encounter. I'm glad the Invisible Predator sequences in these games work largely on the former premise and not the latter.

I agree. The Bat-god of planning thing worked well in Morrison's GLA because it was the only thing Batman could believably bring to a team of demi-gods, and because the scope of the conflicts were large enough to justify outlandish feats of superheroics. But in his own stories where Batman is mostly fighting the mob and the mentally unstable it's just overkill. A good story is one where the hero is overmatched and must struggle to achieve victory.

He's a single guy who has personally declared war on every criminal in the thriving underworld of Gotham. Batman should always be the underdog.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Canemacar posted:

He's a single guy who has personally declared war on every criminal in the thriving underworld of Gotham. Batman should always be the underdog.

It is literally impossible for Batman to be the underdog as long as Bruce Wayne continues to be written as the highest-class member of Gotham.

The best Batman stories directly challenge the idea of Batman being a positive force for the city, considering he's a rich man enforcing his will on the city through violence.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

It is literally impossible for Batman to be the underdog as long as Bruce Wayne continues to be written as the highest-class member of Gotham.

The best Batman stories directly challenge the idea of Batman being a positive force for the city, considering he's a rich man enforcing his will on the city through violence.

It's definitely a fine line the writers have to walk. It's easy to have Batman come off as a classist, facistic douche. I prefer the depictions that show Wayne using his influence behind the scenes to try and fix the institutional problems that are the root cause of crime in the streets. I haven't read the Court of Owls yet, but a friend made it sound like it's Batman vs. the other old money families in Gotham. Which I think is a great idea. They're the ones who profit from the status quo just as much as the criminals; it would make sense that they would rally against this newcomer who threatens to overturn how things are run.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Canemacar posted:

It's definitely a fine line the writers have to walk. It's easy to have Batman come off as a classist, facistic douche. I prefer the depictions that show Wayne using his influence behind the scenes to try and fix the institutional problems that are the root cause of crime in the streets. I haven't read the Court of Owls yet, but a friend made it sound like it's Batman vs. the other old money families in Gotham. Which I think is a great idea. They're the ones who profit from the status quo just as much as the criminals; it would make sense that they would rally against this newcomer who threatens to overturn how things are run.

That's not a bad approach either, but then you run the problem of Batman becoming an absolutely perfect character, like a Gary Stu or something. The Nolan movies weren't great because they were "dark and gritty," they were great because they directly challenged the idea of Batman being a super-rich vigilante who enforces his own political viewpoints on everyone else through the power of his wealth. The whole "Batman is just as crazy as his villains" schtick is an indirect way of tackling this, as best shown in A Serious House on Serious Earth (the most underrated Batman story, imo.)

The Arkham games are absolutely fascinating from a gameplay perspective - they did for the PS360 generation what Resident Evil 4 did for the PS2/Xbox OG/GameCube generation - but their writing has always been lackluster, to be generous. Numerous times Batman pretty much rudely brushes off everyone's advice, only to have it... Not bite him in the rear end at all. In fact, he pretty much always wins, probably because of the dumb "I'M BATMAN" meme. One of the reasons I'm excited for Knight is because it's the first Rocksteady game that ISN'T written by Paul Dini.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 22, 2014

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Pirate Jet posted:

In fact, he pretty much always wins,

I don't know, man. What happens at the very end of Arkham City probably felt like a huge failure to Batman.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Batman-Arkham-Knight-Limited-Edition-PS4/40572761

Walmart is selling Arkham Knight Limited Edition for 62 bucks.

EDIT: Apparently it's out of stock already. Sorry, suckers! FYGM :q:

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 21, 2015

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Oh yeah, I forget who, but some site offering the LE preorder possibly spoiled the end of Arkham Knight:

The statue plaque originally read "In memory of The Gotham Knight." It was edited to just say "The Gotham Knight."

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

Oh yeah, I forget who, but some site offering the LE preorder possibly spoiled the end of Arkham Knight:

The statue plaque originally read "In memory of The Gotham Knight." It was edited to just say "The Gotham Knight."

This'll be the one game that you have to finish all the side quests before the end of the main story.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

poonchasta posted:

I don't know, man. What happens at the very end of Arkham City probably felt like a huge failure to Batman.

Arkham Origins has consequences for Batman and he undergoes character development as well. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So has there been ANY news on this game not about the Batmobile or the Arkham Knight? :stare:

The other games at least teased a few villains, but we know about as much about this game as we did when it was announced.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So has there been ANY news on this game not about the Batmobile or the Arkham Knight? :stare:

The other games at least teased a few villains, but we know about as much about this game as we did when it was announced.

I mean, on the one hand, what more do you need to know? It's Batman, but prettier and with a car. They don't really need any more publicity than that, especially this far from release.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The game was pushed back several months wasn't it? I imagine they won't start up the hype train again until they know the release is coming. The initial hype was probably with the assumption it wouldn't have been delayed, so now there is this weird gap.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, just from the trailer last year or whatever, we know Two-Face, Penguin, and Harley are in it. Harley's even a DLC character, so presumably she's not just a story NPC and has a more robust role. Also, Walter Bishop is trying to do fear stuff, so there's that.

But yeah, feels a little light on the details.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
You can do environmental takedowns (like throwing guys into electrical outlets or the ceiling fan which looks super deadly but apparently is not), there's some sort of "highlight multiple enemies and then take them all down in quick succession" thing available in the predator sections which I think you build up and use in a similar way to the combo things from the freeflow combat and there's more options for using the gadgets in midair, think you can casually fling the batarangs while gliding now and that sorta thing.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Those videos that came out around Christmas did absolutely nothing to get me more excited about the game. I'm still looking forward to it, but yeah. They haven't done much to build hype recently.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Arkham City is one of my favorite games of all time but a car is basically the last thing I want out of this series. What a bummer, I'll keep an open mind but it's hard not to feel like the series peaked, especially after the dismal Origins. Rocksteady is still rad though, and I'll always have AC!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My advice: trust Rocksteady. I think they've earned it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My advice: trust Rocksteady. I think they've earned it.

This. I only plan to use the Batmobile when it's mandatory unless it winds up being really fun to use. I like the idea of Batman patrolling a huge city from the rooftops, even if it doesn't match the "all hell broken loose" angle they're going for in Arkham Knight.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mogomra posted:

Those videos that came out around Christmas did absolutely nothing to get me more excited about the game. I'm still looking forward to it, but yeah. They haven't done much to build hype recently.

Like all WBIE games I'm gonna wait and buy the complete GOTY whatever reprint in a couple of months. I'm sure the game will be excellent though. I had little complaints with all of Rocksteady's other games but in general thought they were fantastic. Even Origins was really good despite it being a b-team with some silly design decisions that made the city more "accurate" but not as much fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I still want to see the regular combat for this game. It's the reason i keep going back to combat challenges in the arkham games.

• Locked thread