Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TomR posted:

14 Kerbals on their way home.

I'm actually rather curious how that works. How does it land on its belly and poo poo? It's not a space plane, obv, but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You get your periapsis right above the ground and burn until you are stopped and gently fall to the body. This only works on tiny moons with super low gravity. I also had landing legs for normal landing on the engine pods.

The real payoff from this mission:

14 Level 5 Kerbals. Jeb was there too but he got out and I recovered him on his own.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I think I have an issue, in my VAB I have some weird effects.

1st. Deadly Reentry Continued ablative shield gives off a smoke puff effect.
2nd. Rover Dude's DERP engine does something weird.

Here's a video on the effects I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnJ0uNcxgs

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
When you get contracts for the "Base that holds x Kerbals", do you have to have all the Kerbals in there, or just that number of seats? I assume it counts pod seats, research lab seats, cupola seats. Are external command chairs counted?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Medicinal Penguin posted:

When you get contracts for the "Base that holds x Kerbals", do you have to have all the Kerbals in there, or just that number of seats? I assume it counts pod seats, research lab seats, cupola seats. Are external command chairs counted?

You just need that many seats, they can be all empty. I don't think external seats count.

Also, seriously be careful with those hold prograde/retrograde/target/etc SAS functions, if you do anything that upsets the location of them you will spin out of control.
Let me make a concrete feature request on that: If a targeted marker moves too quickly (e.g. more than 10 degrees in one second) then automatically switch the SAS function to something else, "stabilize"-mode by default. But maybe try being smart, in a way: If a different marker just happens to be right at the current heading switch to that one, if it's supported by the pilot/probe.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
What you are saying is, you want the game to magically know how you are intending to fly your craft, instead of you selecting the proper SAS mode?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

What you are saying is, you want the game to magically know how you are intending to fly your craft, instead of you selecting the proper SAS mode?

More like not completely screw my heading if I overshoot a burn by 0.1 m/s, or if I forget to switch mode before changing control to a different docking port.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

The problem trying to be addressed here is that you can't change the SAS mode without turning SAS on first, so if it was set to "prograde" last time you used it, then you turned it off, then you started to do a landing, and then you turned it back on towards the end of the landing, it turns back on in "prograde" mode and before you can switch it to "stabilize", the rocket tries to flip end over end to aim the nose at the ground and everyone dies.

Similar issues happen during SOI transitions, while doing burns while moving slowly in deep space, or when using "control from here", which causes the markers to move around violently and your rocket to try to torque itself apart following them.

"Automatically switch to stabilize if the vector you're tracking teleports" seems like a reasonable heuristic, to me.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
It should automatically switch to stability assist every time you turn it on. There's really no downside to that.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So now that I've gotten pretty good throughout the day (god drat I put way to many hours into this today) at putting probes into random contract orbits; I thought I'd give making airplanes a try. I must be missing something because even with the most basic plane design I can come up with the thing jumps around like a squirrel on cocaine at the slightest tap of WASD. After like an hour I was able to get something off the ground, but now I can't seem to not hit the ground at 200mph. Any good tutorials on aeroflight, and is there anyway to slow down your controls at all?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone have any advice on doing EVA surveys on Kerbin? I can take off and fly planes fairly reliably now but landing on my wheels without rocking to the side and breaking a wing is still nightmarishly impossible.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ToxicFrog posted:

The problem trying to be addressed here is that you can't change the SAS mode without turning SAS on first, so if it was set to "prograde" last time you used it, then you turned it off, then you started to do a landing, and then you turned it back on towards the end of the landing, it turns back on in "prograde" mode and before you can switch it to "stabilize", the rocket tries to flip end over end to aim the nose at the ground and everyone dies.

Similar issues happen during SOI transitions, while doing burns while moving slowly in deep space, or when using "control from here", which causes the markers to move around violently and your rocket to try to torque itself apart following them.

"Automatically switch to stabilize if the vector you're tracking teleports" seems like a reasonable heuristic, to me.

That, and/or allow for mode switching without turning the thing on at all.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hit caps lock to enable fine controls, the lower left control deflection indicators will switch to a light blue-ish green. That can help for docking and flying.

Your craft will tip if it is too heavy. Add more wheels/legs, lock their suspension with the right click menu, and/or find flatter ground.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Is there a page somewhere with an explanation of how skills work? Haven't found one anywhere.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone have any advice on doing EVA surveys on Kerbin? I can take off and fly planes fairly reliably now but landing on my wheels without rocking to the side and breaking a wing is still nightmarishly impossible.

Put your landing gear on your wings. A wider footprint makes it much harder to tip over.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Can't you just turn off your reaction wheels to be sure? Most of the time it's only the command pod that has it, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm still waiting for a main screen radar altimeter in Stock...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Put your landing gear on your wings. A wider footprint makes it much harder to tip over.

gently caress why don't I think of these things. Thanks, mission accomplished :suicide:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I finally finished the mission that I built that dual-payload design for. I won't wall-o-images the thread, but here's the complete album. Procedural Fairings makes it so much easier to do multi-payload missions and they look so good, too.

Sadly, due to a bad interaction between KER and an unusual staging order and root node placement, the dv display is wrong and I must now begin the next mission: rescuing Jeb from orbit around the Mun.

Again.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

karl fungus posted:

Is there a page somewhere with an explanation of how skills work? Haven't found one anywhere.

Here you go. The whole system is kinda half-assed.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How the hell am I supposed to get a station in a 14 million meter orbit? Anyone have any tips on this poo poo? Specific distances are hard as gently caress especially.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

How the hell am I supposed to get a station in a 14 million meter orbit? Anyone have any tips on this poo poo? Specific distances are hard as gently caress especially.

The same way you do anything else. Burn at Periap or from a circular orbit until your apoap is 1400 km. Go to apoap and burn until your periap is the same.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Overwined posted:

The same way you do anything else. Burn at Periap or from a circular orbit until your apoap is 1400 km. Go to apoap and burn until your periap is the same.

And then cry as you encounter the Mun ten times when trying to match it. I also had one highly eccentric orbit to match that was nearly identical in period to the Mun, and phased such that it would encounter it twice on every orbit. I just ate the cancellation penalty on that one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Any good "make KSP really really pretty :3:" mods in CKAN yet?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Roflex posted:

And then cry as you encounter the Mun ten times when trying to match it. I also had one highly eccentric orbit to match that was nearly identical in period to the Mun, and phased such that it would encounter it twice on every orbit. I just ate the cancellation penalty on that one.

Seems like an oversight, that sounds impossible to complete.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'll preface this question with the statement that I have never done any mod work for KSP so I have no idea how this works.

In \Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Strategies there's a Strategies.cfg. I wanted to modify it to make a useful science -> cash strategy. Here's the relevant data from that file:

code:
STRATEGY
{
  name = PatentsLicensingCfg
  title = Patents Licensing
  desc = [snipped because long]
  department = Finances
  icon = Squad/Strategies/Icons/PatentsLicensing

groupTag = Basic,C

minLeastDuration = 60
  maxLeastDuration = 100
  minLongestDuration = 1200
  maxLongestDuration = 1600

requiredReputationMin = -500
  requiredReputationMax = 750

initialCostFunds = 0.0  
  initialCostReputation = 0.0  
  initialCostScienceMin = 135.0
  initialCostScienceMax = 2700.0

hasFactorSlider = True
  factorSliderDefault = 0.05
  factorSliderSteps = 20

EFFECT
  {
    name = CurrencyConverter
    input = Science
	output = Funds
	minShare = 0.0
	maxShare = 1.0	

minRate = 8
	maxRate = 10

AffectReasons = ContractReward, ScienceTransmission, VesselRecovery

effectDescription = gains
  }
}
I assume that what I would need to modify is the stuff in the EFFECT section, namely minRate/maxrate. Now the questions:

1) Is there documentation anywhere for what the parameters do?
2) Is the relationship between commitment level and conversion rate always linear? What I would really like to do is make the conversion quadratic (something like the square of the commitment level is how much % of science get converted to funds, so 10% commitment converts 1% of science to 100x as many funds, while 50% commitment converts 25% of science and 100% commitment converts 100%).
3) Is editing the Strategies.cfg in-situ kosher, or should I make a copy and put it in a custom subfolder under GameData? Will the copy override the defaults, or would weird things happen from having two copies of the same config around?

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Roflex posted:

It's a problem for bigger orbits, but 1400km isn't even keostationary orbit, let alone mun altitude.

And, if you do get a contract like you mentioned, you can just get it there for 10 seconds, fulfill the contract, and watch it smash into the Mun. The game only care that you get it into the proper orbit, it's presumably the contractor's problem when the hardware is blown to smithereens. Similarly someone on reddit said they had a contract for a clockwise equatorial Duna satellite at about Ike altitude. Ike orbits counter-clockwise.
EDIT: Or, wait, patched conics would show the moon encounter and deny the contract. Nevermind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is it just me or have the KAC transfer window timings gotten kind of screwed up? I generally plot transfers with manouver nodes, but I use KAC as a starting point, and for a transfer to Duna it's off by 20 days -- which doesn't sound like that much, but it's more than I remember seeing on earlier versions.

I'm seriously considering sending a probe on a flyby of Moho just because the wait for a transfer window to that is only 3 months, compared to 7 for Duna. :(

Thesoro posted:

It's a problem for bigger orbits, but 1400km isn't even keostationary orbit, let alone mun altitude.

They said 14 Mm, not 1.4. The Mun orbits at 11.4 Mm.

I think 14Mm is outside the Mun's SoI. Barely. You just have to time the transfer such that it doesn't smash into the Mun on the way out.

quote:

And, if you do get a contract like you mentioned, you can just get it there for 10 seconds, fulfill the contract, and watch it smash into the Mun. The game only care that you get it into the proper orbit, it's presumably the contractor's problem when the hardware is blown to smithereens. Similarly someone on reddit said they had a contract for a clockwise equatorial Duna satellite at about Ike altitude. Ike orbits counter-clockwise.
EDIT: Or, wait, patched conics would show the moon encounter and deny the contract. Nevermind.

Will it? I think it just checks instantaneous orbital parameters, it doesn't actually trace the orbit.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 22, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I had a polar-orbit contract satellite that I ignored for a while, then came back to notice it wasn't there anymore. Zoomed out to find that it was in an inclined solar orbit because it had been ejected by the Mun.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Thesoro posted:

MIsread that as 14Mm for some reason.

The other problem was actually getting it into that orbit in the first place, because it would always encounter the mun sometime between setting up my periapsis and apoapsis. Maybe I could've launched polar (ap was like 31Mm, so it would've missed above and below the Mun during the encounter time) and then adjusted inclination at apoapsis, but after 3 failed attempts (and several clouds of mun debris) I just decided I needed the free contract slot more than the reward.

e:

ToxicFrog posted:

Is it just me or have the KAC transfer window timings gotten kind of screwed up? I generally plot transfers with manouver nodes, but I use KAC as a starting point, and for a transfer to Duna it's off by 20 days -- which doesn't sound like that much, but it's more than I remember seeing on earlier versions.

I'm seriously considering sending a probe on a flyby of Moho just because the wait for a transfer window to that is only 3 months, compared to 7 for Duna. :(

I posted about something similar a couple pages ago, and it resonates with buggy reports from other people, that bodies are just not in the correct places (possibly related to quicksave/quickload). Mechjeb (2.4.1, haven't tried with 2.4.2 yet), the launch window calendar and the web planner all gave results that were off by as much as 200 days for transfers.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 22, 2014

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Sokani posted:

Seems like an oversight, that sounds impossible to complete.

I've had one where the periapsis was right on the Mun's orbital path and the apoapsis was awfully close to Minmus'. It's probably just something they haven't thought about yet.

Overall, I'm really loving .90 like a lot of people here. The early to early mid game is tense now. You have to either specialize your missions to make money or cram something onto a craft that's already dangerously close to the part/weight cap so that it doesn't lose money.

There's definitely some tweaking to be done here, but finally we have in place all the yins to our yangs that keep the more abstract workings of the game exciting. Good job, squad.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
There's definitely a lot of contracts whose difficulty is out of proportion to the reward. Like the "munar station with 14 kerbals, a lab, and a cupola. 100k reward" types.

Those can be easily ignored and overall the system is great - I've deployed 3 space stations in the last two days after making zero before that with 300 hours played.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Robzilla posted:

So I think I have an issue, in my VAB I have some weird effects.

1st. Deadly Reentry Continued ablative shield gives off a smoke puff effect.
2nd. Rover Dude's DERP engine does something weird.

Here's a video on the effects I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnJ0uNcxgs

Realchutes causes the DERP engine to expand like that for some reason. I don't know why Deadly Reentry is making your capsule fart, though.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Thesoro posted:

There's definitely a lot of contracts whose difficulty is out of proportion to the reward. Like the "munar station with 14 kerbals, a lab, and a cupola. 100k reward" types.

Those can be easily ignored and overall the system is great - I've deployed 3 space stations in the last two days after making zero before that with 300 hours played.

I've been somewhat wishful for a diminishing returns effect in contract rewards since .25. "Science data from space around Kerbin" can come up as often as you want it to (by rejecting pending contracts) and always yields about the same amount of reward, and can be repeatedly fulfilled by a LKO satellite with a temperature probe and an antenna. You could always just opt to not take/fulfill those contracts, but when you're still 500k from the level 2 R&D upgrade, it's very appealing (even if it's a bit grindy). My suggestion (for Squad or for any enterprising modders out there): Implement a "pool" of funds available for each situation (Kerbin surface, Kerbin air, LKO, and each other body with appropriate situations). Contract rewards would scale to be (10% of what they are now + Pool% remaining) so the first contracts would pay slightly more than they do now, but as the pool diminishes, so do the rewards (down to 10% or whatever floor you want to set). So the grind is still there, just much less viable, and players get encouraged to explore farther out sooner, and you won't be 100% completely screwed when you run out of funds (as long as you have an LKO satellite capable of transmitting any data).

I also feel like some of the contracts could use just a little more variety and progression. Station contracts that are required to be at a certain minimum inclination. Surface bases within 100km of a certain site. More varied and more specific parts requirements (a specific antenna instead of just any antenna, after you've launched a bunch with the starter antenna). I understand that this is just the first beta version and little tweaks here and there are going to happen, but there's a huge potential for increased variety and better difficulty scaling.

Contract balance is hit or miss with mods too. Station Science is pretty good about giving commensurate rewards - 250k advance + 500k on completion for plant growth in Mun orbit, for example (on hard difficulty), and upwards of a million for cyclotron-related experiments (the cyclotron is 30 tons, and that doesn't even include the experiment pods you need to launch and recover, so it's fairly balanced). Kerbinside, on the other hand, doesn't really balance too well with contracts. I can take a bunch of kerbin temperature scan surveys, open a base somewhere nearby (on the other side of the planet) for 50k, and rake in hundreds of thousands in rewards for flying a plane around for 10 minutes.

It would be nice if Karbonite had some contracts which, upon completion, "turned over" the vessel to the contracting agency (making it no longer controllable by the player) to balance out the fact that Karbonite is basically free fuel once you have infrastructure in place. There's a good variety of situations you could do as well - orbital fuel station/refinery, surface drilling platform, etc.

ScanSat doesn't have any contracts and the science rewards for scanning have been seriously nerfed since late .24 days. Used to get 60 per scan for Kerbin and 120+ for Mun/Minimus, now it's around 12 and 24, and I can't really think of many contracts that would be too useful to do (for the player or for the contracting agency) once you've mapped a body completely. Although, perhaps it could be tied in with the surface exploration contracts: "Scan for anomalies on the surface of <body>" with procedurally generated "anomalies" that would act much like the current surface exploration contracts, and partial completion for each anomaly discovered and explored.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So I just just got back into this game after a hiatus of about a year or so, ever since I heard the new patch came out I redownloaded the game and have gotten started on a new career mode game!

I've kind of hit a wall. And it's an early mission too! I must not be getting something here, but I have a mission where I have to test one of the LTA boosters. The conditions are: 450-780 m/s, 3200m - 63000 m. Only I can't quite seem to get it. Is the idea that I have to get to that specific altitude range and that specific speed before firing the stage with the test booster in it? I can't seem to make it with the basic starting tools, for some reason, as I always keep running out of fuel before hitting that speed target. Altitude is no problem, but when should I start turning in order to make sure I reach that speed?

This game has gotten a lot harder since I last played it!!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Part testing contracts come in two flavors: Activate the part in staging, or perform the Run Test action on the part's right-click menu. You can see which one a specific contract is, in the [+] Note part of the contract foldout.
Booster tests seem to always be staging tests, so you need to set your craft up so it can reach the required altitude + speed before activating the booster.
A good tip/trick for testing solid boosters is to tweak their fuel amount to very little or zero in the VAB, that makes them much easier to lift.

But some contracts are just not reasonable. It's okay to reject those!

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
For those parameters, I'd probably just go straight up until apoapsis was 70km and then activate it on the way down.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
As its a Liquid booster (and thus able to be restarted) I'd use it to get speed to that altitude, then right-click shutoff, create a new stage above the current one, drag it into there, then quickly stage to it. Boom, done.

SRB testing though...that's a bit tougher since you can't cheese the restage. But they get a bit easier when you empty them of solid fuel.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
GUYS I DID MY FIRST MUN LANDING :jeb:

Kerbol came up over a crater! Auspicious!

I learned how to slow down from orbit!

I landed on my nuclear engines!

gently caress WHY DIDN'T I ADD A LADDER

YES (but sorry you're stuck there)

The other two Kerbals lifted off but they didn't have enough fuel to get back to Kerbin, so they ended up crashing into the dark side of the moon.

Hudory Kerman is still up there, on the Mun, waiting for rescue. Now to figure out how to improve my lander with more fuel (or getting there more efficiently) while also adding a cabin for him to climb into, and a ladder.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

OAquinas posted:

As its a Liquid booster (and thus able to be restarted) I'd use it to get speed to that altitude, then right-click shutoff, create a new stage above the current one, drag it into there, then quickly stage to it. Boom, done.

SRB testing though...that's a bit tougher since you can't cheese the restage. But they get a bit easier when you empty them of solid fuel.

You don't have to shut engines off to re-stage them. Just create an empty stage at the bottom of your list and mash space. Nothing more is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

karl fungus posted:

Hudory Kerman is still up there, on the Mun, waiting for rescue. Now to figure out how to improve my lander with more fuel (or getting there more efficiently) while also adding a cabin for him to climb into, and a ladder.

Press R when EVA'ing. On most low-grav moons that's enough to fly back to your pod to activate your Super-SAFER/MMU. Hudory could have died with his friends! :911:

Edit: Huh. I thought it just checked "staging? Turned off? Good enough!" but I guess the test was even simpler. Welp, there you go.

Edit2: I just looked up the delta-v of the MMU and SAFER units. The Kerbals have 500 m/s dv in their little packs. The MMU had 25, and the SAFER pack has a whopping 3 m/s. drat.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 22, 2014