Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Merkinman posted:

I wish I worked on more than just one website, otherwise I'd put this code code on every page, always in different colors, just for r0ck0

Its too bad tabs merged with apps just ends up with me having 16 tabs open and none of them ever closing cause that's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

quote:

My only concern is that some sites might be a little obnoxious by turning your status bar some awful color.

What's next changing apps' colors with a simple control panel?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Athenry posted:

Its too bad tabs merged with apps just ends up with me having 16 tabs open and none of them ever closing cause that's pretty neat.

chrome -> settings -> merge tabs -> off

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

GWBBQ posted:

For people with a Nexus 6, is the front-facing camera perfectly centered under the cutout in the glass or slightly off? Mine is just a bit off and while it's not causing any problems, it concerns me a little as far as build quality.

Slightly off here as well. I'm super spergy about build quality and creaks and whatnot but I can't remember any phone (and I had plenty from pretty much every manufacturer) where this wasn't the case so I wouldn't worry too much. The rest of it is just perfectly built.

Had it since Friday now and it's super nice. The screensize is all I ever wanted without knowing I needed it and even with constant 'must touch new phone' tinkering the battery lasted for almost two days straight, so it'll only get better. I really, really like it so far.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nocal posted:

Do you theme gmail too? If so, you're at least Hitlerian.

Nope, no skin in that particular game, just like to point out when RZA takes poo poo way too seriously.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
So after using my N6 for a while I'm totally loving the size. My N5 feels absolutely tiny now. And it's not even remotely difficult to hold the N6.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I finally held a Nexus 6 yesterday and it was exactly the same as my Note 3 with otterbox. Really good build quality too.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

For people with a Nexus 6, is the front-facing camera perfectly centered under the cutout in the glass or slightly off? Mine is just a bit off and while it's not causing any problems, it concerns me a little as far as build quality.

Mine is perfectly centered. I had an issue where it restarted itself a handful of times but I'm not sure what caused it and it hasn't happened in a week or two with nothing having changed. Still on 5.0.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, guys! I need some advice!

I broke my phone's screen about a month ago and heard from various trusted sources including the previous Android thread that the Moto X is pretty great, so I ordered one. That was on November 22. It is now December 21 and I still don't have a phone. I'll spare you the details of the worst customer service experience I've ever had, but suffice it to say I just got out of chat with one of their reps and it's sounding like they cancelled my order without telling me, again, and I am sitting here furious and I don't want a Motorola phone anymore.

Somebody at that company is getting a lengthy letter, if I can find out who to send it to.

Anyway. What's a good Android phone I can get that isn't manufactured by Motorola and won't tie me down to a service plan? The LG G3 looks nice, but is there a way to get it without a contract? Didn't see one on the website. :(

I'm not above taking my ancient N4 into town to get the screen fixed, but if there's a nice new phone I can get, I'd like to know my options.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, guys! I need some advice!

You should get the Xperia Z3, or read the thread.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You should get the Xperia Z3, or read the thread.

The thread so far is mostly about the ins and outs of Lollipop, so not much I can use so far. The Z3 link in the OP leads to a Page Not Found, which was partly why the LG grabbed my attention. I'll Google it though and see what I think.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Julet Esqu posted:

The thread so far is mostly about the ins and outs of Lollipop, so not much I can use so far. The Z3 link in the OP leads to a Page Not Found, which was partly why the LG grabbed my attention. I'll Google it though and see what I think.

This version of the thread is light on it but just got started this week. The last thread is rich with information on this, and yes it should be a Z3 or Z3c.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Z3, note 4, droid turbo (on Verizon), and moto x are the standard recommendations. I wouldn't lock yourself out of getting a moto because you got lovely customer service. Either blast one of their reps til you get it free or buy it from amazon. Moto x is a legit good phone.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
All of the phones listed in the OP are good choices, so far as I know.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just dropped my Z3C, but the tempered glass protector took all of the damage. Best $10 I've spent, time to order a new one! It did it's job admirably!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've noticed on my G3 that if I have my hand anywhere near the proximity sensor when I turn on the display, it shuts the screen back off. Is this typical?

tongboy
May 1, 2003
paid like a dork
Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

chrome -> settings -> merge tabs -> off

Thank you for this! I never researched to see how to get tabs back within chrome. It was bugging me.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

TraderStav posted:

Just dropped my Z3C, but the tempered glass protector took all of the damage. Best $10 I've spent, time to order a new one! It did it's job admirably!

I messed up the adhesive on my Ultimate Shield tempered glass protector. Totally my fault for trying a wet application and trying to wipe dust off the adhesive side. I emailed them to ask if I could do anything to make it look less terrible and they just sent me another one, no charge. Great company.

Someone in the last thread suggested lining the screen protector up and taping one side down as a kind of hinge so that everything is already lined up when removing the backing on the adhesive side. This works brilliantly; tape it down, flip it over, clean the screen, remove the backing, flip it back, and tap the center. Since glass protectors are rigid, the entire thing adheres if you just apply a little pressure right in the middle.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

TraderStav posted:

Glass screen protectors are the poo poo. I see no reason to not use one.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

tongboy posted:

Thank you for this! I never researched to see how to get tabs back within chrome. It was bugging me.

I really dislike the feature and wonder why it's the default function.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My friend bought an N6 and holy crap it's huge. But it isn't unwieldy. Definitely a 2 handed phone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Variable_H posted:

I've noticed on my G3 that if I have my hand anywhere near the proximity sensor when I turn on the display, it shuts the screen back off. Is this typical?

Yes, because this is exactly what proximity sensors are designed to do.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Variable_H posted:

Cuts down on the pocket dialing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

grack posted:

Yes, because this is exactly what proximity sensors are designed to do.
iPhone never did it, so I found it odd.

Desk Lamp posted:

Cuts down on the pocket dialing.
Ahh, yeah that makes sense. Thanks.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Just turned on ART and holy poo poo this is smooth. I dunno if it's any faster at all, but most of the stuttering that I run into is just gone now. Is there any reason not to use it other than certain incompatible apps?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Hace posted:

Just turned on ART and holy poo poo this is smooth. I dunno if it's any faster at all, but most of the stuttering that I run into is just gone now. Is there any reason not to use it other than certain incompatible apps?

It's the standard from 5.0 going forward which means that fewer and fewer apps will break. Unless it breaks an app you use reeeally often there's no downside.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
I was gung-ho for the N6 for months but I just picked up a Note 4 and coming from a Nexus 4 its quite frankly amazing. The screen is blowing my mind every time I turn it on and everything is incredibly fast. I played with the N6 for a bit in the store and it just didn't compare to the Note 4 in a lot of ways. Never thought I'd have a samsung device but here I am and it's great so far.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My Droid Maxx that I've had for about a year died today? I removed it from the charger and after about a second it turned off. I am unable to turn it back on.

I have attempted to turn it on by itself.
I have attempted to turn it on while plugged with charger.
I have attempted to turn it on while connected to the computer.

I chose to get the Maxx because it had a great battery life. However I was worried because it was the first phone where I couldn't access/remove the battery.

At this point the total battery life was slightly less than it was when it was brand new, but there no major issues to suggest the phone was going to die.

Please advise.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Have you tried holding the power button for ~30 seconds? This has worked for a few phones I've had that seemed bricked.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Lblitzer posted:

Have you tried holding the power button for ~30 seconds? This has worked for a few phones I've had that seemed bricked.

It worked! You are the best. I tried doing it for ~10 seconds based on google stuff. That did nothing, but ~30 seconds did.

Good looks, all around.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nexus 6 wireless charging with the official Nexus charger...anyone had any luck? It's an incredible tiny charging spot I can never seem to hit and only seems to work without a case on :( Nexus 5 had no such issues, with a case.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nexus 6 wireless charging with the official Nexus charger...anyone had any luck? It's an incredible tiny charging spot I can never seem to hit and only seems to work without a case on :( Nexus 5 had no such issues, with a case.

I hope you don't have a Tylt Vu. :(

BTW my N6 just arrived in Richmond. Painful....

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's been over a year, but I finally filled up the space on my 16gb 2013 Moto X. So full apps wouldn't update. Gallery -> Select All -> Delete.

Having all your stuff in the cloud is the way to go, I couldn't imagine having to maintain local data anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Nah, this one:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

The N6 works fine with the Tylt Vu.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

The N6 works fine with the Tylt Vu.

Glad to hear it. Now to just wait another month for that after my month long wait for the N6.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Why is Samsung getting slammed in this thread on the regular? I'm not a cellphone expert by any stretch of imagination and the only Samsung device I've owned is a Galaxy Nexus that I'm writing this very post on.

And this phone is a piece of poo poo that restarts randomly and has insane memory leaks. Is this a regular Samsung phone experience then?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Present posted:

Why is Samsung getting slammed in this thread on the regular? I'm not a cellphone expert by any stretch of imagination and the only Samsung device I've owned is a Galaxy Nexus that I'm writing this very post on.

And this phone is a piece of poo poo that restarts randomly and has insane memory leaks. Is this a regular Samsung phone experience then?

Nope.

That's the *good* Samsung experience.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Present posted:

Samsung getting slammed in this thread on the regular

this phone is a piece of poo poo that restarts randomly and has insane memory leaks

I think you answered your own question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 20, 2018