Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

This owns

@NHLFlyera: Told some geese the terms of the MacDonald extension today https://vine.co/v/OX1tW6JrgXB

hahahahaha god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/12/20/nazem-kadri-first-line-material/

here's a nice fancy stats article about primarily Kadri ruling, can't wait for Toronto to trade him to Florida for Dave bolland at the deadline when they're freefalling out of the race

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Aye Doc posted:

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/12/20/nazem-kadri-first-line-material/

here's a nice fancy stats article about primarily Kadri ruling, can't wait for Toronto to trade him to Florida for Dave bolland at the deadline when they're freefalling out of the race

I dunno, I thought the last Kadri article was written better.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Fozzie Bear posted:

I dunno, I thought the last Kadri article was written better.

whoops, skipped over that dudes post entirely

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Aye Doc posted:

whoops, skipped over that dudes post entirely

it's an interesting article, but I wonder how Kadri would do against the top lines of the other teams. Kessels line gets all the unfavorable matchups (except zone starts), to put Kadri in the same conversation as top 8 centers in the league is a bit ingenious, without taking into account quality of competition. I think the last graph takes quality of competition into account, and he drops down pretty far down to 22nd best center (but better than Bozak).

I think Kadri has gotten quite a bit better defensively over the last few seasons, but I don't know if he is good enough to cover up for Kessels lack of backchecking. I think he should be given a 10 game shot at the very least. The big fear is that Toronto becomes a 1 line team and is much easier to shut down completely.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

This Ovechkin fellow has a bright future in hockey.

Crosby had a play that was close to this last night only cooler...except he didn't score. So that make it less cool. But not a lot, because it was still cool.

e: i'm not saying this Ovi one is not cool, it is cool.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Fozzie Bear posted:

I think Kadri has gotten quite a bit better defensively over the last few seasons, but I don't know if he is good enough to cover up for Kessels lack of backchecking. I think he should be given a 10 game shot at the very least. The big fear is that Toronto becomes a 1 line team and is much easier to shut down completely.

Kadri is the best defensive centre on the team, and Kessel is the best defensive player through whatever combination of himself, Van Riemsdyk, Bozak, and Lupupl he plays with. Kessel's also never had any line-wide problems with defence when playing with any centre other than Bozak. Dude rocked a 57% corsi with Matt Stajan of all people.

I don't think that the Leafs problems are critically related to Kessel's defence. While there is a lack of defensive acumen in the top 6 (Bozak, JVR, and Lupul are all varying shades of horrible), the teams problems are still largely systemic. Someone posted a chart on twitter the other day showing teams corsi splits for after faceoff wins, faceoff losses, and "open play" (a set amount of time after any faceoff). The Leafs were good to great after faceoff wins, average to poor after faceoff losses, but dreadful in open play scenarios. This suggests that they have the same old systemic problems where Carlyle's plans for getting to and through the neutral zone are just not any good.

e2: Kessel has actually never posted convincing corsis with Kadri, which was a bit of a surprise. I stand by my analysis, though.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 21, 2014

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Jedimastafez posted:

Gibson left tonights Ads game "feeling nauseous" so um the Ducks mumps curse strikes again?

I don't know if I believe this one hundred per cent. Gibson left the game after a series of saves that definitely tested his groin/lateral movement. Dennis McEwen, who does color for Ads games, mentioned that he saw Gibson slower to get up after each stop in play. Apparently, Gibson was also instructed not to talk to the media and in the postgame skate with fans. Not exactly signs of a dude being sick.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

myron cope posted:

Crosby had a play that was close to this last night only cooler...except he didn't score. So that make it less cool. But not a lot, because it was still cool.

e: i'm not saying this Ovi one is not cool, it is cool.

So basically it sucked because he didn't score.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
there were some strange plays in the preds/wild game last night. fisher got a double minor for hooking shortly after ribeiro getting boarded and ignored. then the strangest, which was this goal:

from everything i saw on tv, the whistle had gone and the play was dead, then they went to review it and decided it was a goal because at the very end you could see roy pulling it out from under jones. they completely ignored the play being over and you never actually see the puck end up in the net.

either way, nashville played really well and outshot a team by a wide margin that usually controls the play. pretty nice to do that without neal.

this is what the goal call was based on:
http://www.gfycat.com/AfraidWhichLcont

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Fozzie Bear posted:

it's an interesting article, but I wonder how Kadri would do against the top lines of the other teams. Kessels line gets all the unfavorable matchups (except zone starts), to put Kadri in the same conversation as top 8 centers in the league is a bit ingenious, without taking into account quality of competition. I think the last graph takes quality of competition into account, and he drops down pretty far down to 22nd best center (but better than Bozak).

Kadri's been getting the tougher matchups at home the last few weeks, the Kessel line is being sheltered as a result.

Also Kessel back checks all the time, mostly to cover up for the fact that Bozak constantly gets caught deep for no reason.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wasn't the game-winner, but put the pressure on the Hawks. First career shootout attempt, too.

FOX Sports Ohio cut to a slightly uneasy-looking Quenneville just before Morin went. http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2014020487-680-h

For some reason I don't think multiple cup winning Joel Quenneville is going to be too perturbed over the prospect of Jeremy Morin scoring a SO goal in a game in December.

Just saying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

myron cope posted:

Can the league rescind diving calls? Since there are fines involved I would think they can. Malkin got a pretty ridiculous one last night

Pretty sure the league can rescind any call, even if it's only symbolic.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Trevor Bird posted:

there were some strange plays in the preds/wild game last night. fisher got a double minor for hooking shortly after ribeiro getting boarded and ignored. then the strangest, which was this goal:

from everything i saw on tv, the whistle had gone and the play was dead, then they went to review it and decided it was a goal because at the very end you could see roy pulling it out from under jones. they completely ignored the play being over and you never actually see the puck end up in the net.

either way, nashville played really well and outshot a team by a wide margin that usually controls the play. pretty nice to do that without neal.

this is what the goal call was based on:
http://www.gfycat.com/AfraidWhichLcont

Yeah that was really dumb

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Also Kessel back checks all the time, mostly to cover up for the fact that Bozak constantly gets caught deep for no reason.

I've noticed more than a few times that the Leafs rotate out the winger on the forecheck for the center, leaving basically a 1-2-2 with the center high. This rarely works and when the opposing team inevitably breaks out, the center is left way behind the play. I have no idea why they do this.

On an unrelated note, goddamn look at Barkov's GF%.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Blackhawks assistant equipment manager, Clint Reif, died suddenly this morning at age 34. :(

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Heaf posted:

I don't know if I believe this one hundred per cent. Gibson left the game after a series of saves that definitely tested his groin/lateral movement. Dennis McEwen, who does color for Ads games, mentioned that he saw Gibson slower to get up after each stop in play. Apparently, Gibson was also instructed not to talk to the media and in the postgame skate with fans. Not exactly signs of a dude being sick.
It's also possible he had a stomach bug and that each test of his "groin" brought him one step closer to Luongo-ing his pants

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Blackhawks assistant equipment manager, Clint Reif, died suddenly this morning at age 34. :(

:( that's always scary, and I turn 34 next year :ohdear:

any news on what happened?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Levitate posted:

I always thought you were like 25

they didn't announce anything yet, the news broke a couple hours ago but it didn't get any real traction until Q did his tribute to him

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Levitate posted:

Chicago Sun-Times posted:

Details weren’t immediately available, other than that Reif, 34, died after the Hawks returned from Columbus, Ohio, early Sunday.

Nothing yet that I can find at least.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Clint Reif is the reason I saw the Stanley Cup for the first time. He was a very nice guy :(

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

dominator posted:

Clint Reif is the reason I saw the Stanley Cup for the first time. He was a very nice guy :(

Was he the one in that blackhawks holiday special? Or was that the regular equipment manager? Either way that's sad :(

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
e: not gdt

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Hi I'm an NHL executive, what time should we have the Winter Classic, keeping in mind that it's the day after New Years Eve so everyone will be hung over or tired or, oh 9:30 in the morning sounds great

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Mike Works posted:

Hi I'm an NHL executive, what time should we have the Winter Classic, keeping in mind that it's the day after New Years Eve so everyone will be hung over or tired or, oh 9:30 in the morning sounds great

Hi, I'm the Devil reminding you that the NHL operates in Eastern time, please act accordingly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boston isn't going to make the playoffs this year.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Chicken Doodle posted:

Hi, I'm the Devil reminding you that the NHL operates in Eastern time, please act accordingly.

You still want to accommodate the western time zone. If you want an afternoon game, a 2 EST (11 PST) start would make a lot more sense.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Winter Classic + New Years' Day = screwed anyway, if you have to deal with hangovers AND the Rose Parade AND the Rose Bowl (or whatever's happening with college gridiron playoffs now man what the hell happened to the NCAA)

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
bring back ties

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Simmonds spin into the crease play is the new Hartnell in the slot play

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Boston isn't going to make the playoffs this year.

finally my sacrifices to the dark gods of hockey are beginning to pay off

I was running out of woodland critters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Excelzior posted:

finally my sacrifices to the dark gods of hockey are beginning to pay off

I was running out of woodland critters.

Your team is going to get swept in 4. Monkey's paw.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
If I were Anton Khudobin I'd demand a trade off this sorry team. The Hurricanes flat out do not show up to play for their back up goaltender. When you let in one goal on 31 shots I'd say as a goalie you deserve a better fate.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Both of your teams will have to withdraw due to the Mumps.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Chuch posted:

If I were Anton Khudobin I'd demand a trade off this sorry team. The Hurricanes flat out do not show up to play for their back up goaltender. When you let in one goal on 31 shots I'd say as a goalie you deserve a better fate.

He looked real good at the end there when the Rangers were shelling him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

dominator posted:

He was only 34 and he had a wife and 4 kids. The way they're being all hush hush about releasing details makes me think it was suicide. :smith:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Obama Yo Mama posted:

bring back ties

this, please

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
http://www.didtheblackhawksgetashutout.com

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger