Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seconding a small solar charger on the dashboard, as long as you're not parked underground that'll keep it topped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Hey thread, what is the best of these I could get? Is it that one?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 243 days!)

Splizwarf posted:

Hey thread, what is the best of these I could get? Is it that one?

If you get a lot of heat (you probably do), you don't want any of this lot- it'll all warp and eventually crack the cell.

Also, poo poo, your foot is still sitting here. Get me dimensions for the rest? :ohdear:

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

I did, but the accessory socket doesn't stay hot when the car is off and I have no idea how I'd get the lead from the dashboard through to the engine bay to place the alligator clips. Is that doable?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A bit rough but you could connect it to the terminals in the fusebox?

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

NIGARS posted:

I did, but the accessory socket doesn't stay hot when the car is off and I have no idea how I'd get the lead from the dashboard through to the engine bay to place the alligator clips. Is that doable?

I am not certain that will stop it from charging the battery.

SomethingOrAnother
Nov 23, 2013
Im looking at getting a mechanics tool set of my own. For what this is, is it a good deal? Any other comparable sets I should look into over this?

I do the usual stuff: Brakes, alternators, waterpumps, etc etc

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-159-piece-Mechanics-Tool-Set.product.100145342.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SomethingOrAnother posted:

Im looking at getting a mechanics tool set of my own. For what this is, is it a good deal? Any other comparable sets I should look into over this?

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature%E2%84%A2-159-piece-Mechanics-Tool-Set.product.100145342.html

It looks like a good value to me, but I have no idea what the quality is like. Costco had a ~$100 Craftsman set that was decent for the price, but I haven't seen the Kirkland branded one. The main complaint I had with the Craftsman set is that the ratchets felt really loose and sloppy. That could have just been from a bunch of people fingerfucking the displays though.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Id also recommend checking out the Stanley set in the same range. Also husky makes a decent ratchet and tool set. There one of the few ratchets that can fit into any spot thanks to no button on the back for socket release.

Edit: the Stanley sets are cheap at the home depot.
I have the need for a decent crimper for automotive wiring.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Wire-Crimper-and-Stripper-18102/203709055 this is the style I have been using. Is there a better option or should I just keep with this since it has almost always worked for me.

clam ache fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 21, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

Id also recommend checking out the Stanley set in the same range. Also husky makes a decent ratchet and tool set. There one of the few ratchets that can fit into any spot thanks to no button on the back for socket release.

Edit: the Stanley sets are cheap at the home depot.
I have the need for a decent crimper for automotive wiring.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Wire-Crimper-and-Stripper-18102/203709055 this is the style I have been using. Is there a better option or should I just keep with this since it has almost always worked for me.

Thread consensus is to get a cheap ratcheting crimper and a pair of strippers like this. But I like this one personally: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=648778&group_ID=742282

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Chriskory posted:

I am not certain that will stop it from charging the battery.

If the accessory socket is not powered when the car is off, you cannot charge the battery through it as it will not be connected.

Your best bet would be to wire it direct to the battery with a fuse as close as possible to the positive terminal of the battery or wire it into the constant-power circuit of your choice under the dash. There is probably one for the radio channel memory, make sure the wire it uses is fatter than the wire in the solar panel lead before using that one though.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Thread consensus is to get a cheap ratcheting crimper and a pair of strippers like this. But I like this one personally: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=648778&group_ID=742282

So why does everyone recommend that over the one I posted in my link. Also thanks for the snap-on one. The tool guy at my work never has any catalogs for me and I wanna buy more snap on stuff. also my wife gave me a Hundred dollar limit per tool purchase........:getin:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SouthsideSaint posted:

So why does everyone recommend that over the one I posted in my link. Also thanks for the snap-on one. The tool guy at my work never has any catalogs for me and I wanna buy more snap on stuff. also my wife gave me a Hundred dollar limit per tool purchase........:getin:

Ratcheting crimpers are far more reliable and nicer to use (plus they don't gently caress the insulation on the heat shrinkable stuff), and those stamped ones flex all over the place and just are a general PITA. I got by with them for almost a decade but they just suck rear end.
The snappy ones are great for me because a lot of my crimping is done in some extremely tight and awkward spaces. I find I get pullouts more often on the red ones, but for blues and yellows my pullout rate is about 50:1. If I'm doing stuff that requires a red crimp I'll just strip double the length and fold it over into a blue (it's me, I'm the terrible electrical stuff).

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

and those stamped ones flex all over the place and just are a general PITA.

I have bent them many a time. and am now on my third pair and I just thought I was a brute to those things. I had a nice pair with black handles that owned BONES. But alas it was one of the things the fuckheads at my old dealership lost/stole.....oh well I wanted to give the old snap on guy some money so im gonna order those snap on ones because they look sturdy and like they have some leverage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tommychu posted:

Ratcheting crimpers are far more reliable and nicer to use (plus they don't gently caress the insulation on the heat shrinkable stuff), and those stamped ones flex all over the place and just are a general PITA. I got by with them for almost a decade but they just suck rear end.
The snappy ones are great for me because a lot of my crimping is done in some extremely tight and awkward spaces. I find I get pullouts more often on the red ones, but for blues and yellows my pullout rate is about 50:1. If I'm doing stuff that requires a red crimp I'll just strip double the length and fold it over into a blue (it's me, I'm the terrible electrical stuff).

This is exactly my experience. Like, to a letter, except the snapon part because I am cheap. And I fold that poo poo over too, nothing wrong with that IMO.

I solved my pullout issues with blue and yellow by adjusting the crimp tightness all the way up on the crimper. Also, if I am on the low end of the scale (smallest wire that a terminal is suitable for) I will usually use the next color down if possible or the next slot down in the crimper if not. Have had zero issues with this. It is possible, but hard, to overcrimp, while it is very easy to undercrimp.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

Like, to a letter, except the snapon part because I am cheap.

Tools are like Steam, what you want always goes on some crazy sale eventually. I got mine for like $30.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Tools are like Steam, what you want always goes on some crazy sale eventually. I got mine for like $30.

Except I bet you've used all the tools you've bought, unlike steam games :haw:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Tommychu posted:

I got one of these when they were released. It's replaced all my other electrical related tools 90% of the time. Love em.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cakefool posted:

Except I bet you've used all the tools you've bought, unlike steam games :haw:

poo poo, I haven't even used all the (cheap) HF tools that I've bought! Though I'm bringing my big loving hammer with me over Christmas break, so hopefully that'll get a good workout, finally.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 hours!)

Anyone have one of these Craftsman torque wrenches?
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-3-8inch-drive/p-00931423000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
What your opinion of them? They seem to be a pretty good price right now at $40. But that also seems to be a little too good to be true. Are Craftsman made in China now? It looks like it only gets a 1 year warranty.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Charliegrs posted:

Anyone have one of these Craftsman torque wrenches?
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-3-8inch-drive/p-00931423000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2
What your opinion of them? They seem to be a pretty good price right now at $40. But that also seems to be a little too good to be true. Are Craftsman made in China now? It looks like it only gets a 1 year warranty.

I have an old one that I got through purchasing junk at an estate. It is a 1/2", and works pretty well, but is only about as good as my Harbor Freight set. With a coupon, you can get the same basic wrench with +- 4% for $10, with a lifetime replacement warranty at any HF.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 hours!)

Viggen posted:

I have an old one that I got through purchasing junk at an estate. It is a 1/2", and works pretty well, but is only about as good as my Harbor Freight set. With a coupon, you can get the same basic wrench with +- 4% for $10, with a lifetime replacement warranty at any HF.

Craftsman torque wrench as good as Harbor Freight? I guess the Craftsman brand is not so great anymore... Anyway so on the subject of torque wrenches can anyone recommend a good one for under $100? This would mostly be used for weekend use and not too often at that. Not everyday professional use so I don't think I need something like a Snap-On.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Charliegrs posted:

Craftsman torque wrench as good as Harbor Freight? I guess the Craftsman brand is not so great anymore... Anyway so on the subject of torque wrenches can anyone recommend a good one for under $100? This would mostly be used for weekend use and not too often at that. Not everyday professional use so I don't think I need something like a Snap-On.

Believe it or not, the HF torque wrenches are actually rather good. I used the Craftsman once (to test against the HF one of the same size that I have). I have no issue with HF wrenches. Their screwdrivers, not-trickle chargers, cheap air compressors, and cheap socket sets are complete crap, though.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Sears often has brick&mortar sales on the Craftsman torques for $40. I bought the inch/lbs version last time. Craftsman may not be what it once was, but I like to think it's worth the extra ~$20 over the HF price. I waste that much cash on a good burger+beer these days anyway.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
My favorite go to ratchet is my HF composite... My craftsman poo poo has been ending up in my junkyard box lately. Most of their poo poo is just... poo poo.

Though I have been pretty impressed with the Master Force brand Menard's carries. Its not perfect or tool truck quality, but works really well for what I do.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Viggen posted:

Believe it or not, the HF torque wrenches are actually rather good. I used the Craftsman once (to test against the HF one of the same size that I have). I have no issue with HF wrenches. Their screwdrivers, not-trickle chargers, cheap air compressors, and cheap socket sets are complete crap, though.

I've had three HF torque wrenches. Friends have several 3/8-1/2 and the general real world- engine building- wheel torquing concensus is they are terrible. All three of mine have broken. All my friends have broken. I'm now using a ~10 year old Snap-On and several 3/8"/ 1/4" CDI torque wrenches, because I really don't want to snap studs.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My favorite go to ratchet is my HF composite... My craftsman poo poo has been ending up in my junkyard box lately. Most of their poo poo is just... poo poo.

Though I have been pretty impressed with the Master Force brand Menard's carries. Its not perfect or tool truck quality, but works really well for what I do.

I have no experience with MF- but the composite and the new pro ratchets are pretty awesome.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

kastein posted:

If the accessory socket is not powered when the car is off, you cannot charge the battery through it as it will not be connected.

Your best bet would be to wire it direct to the battery with a fuse as close as possible to the positive terminal of the battery or wire it into the constant-power circuit of your choice under the dash. There is probably one for the radio channel memory, make sure the wire it uses is fatter than the wire in the solar panel lead before using that one though.

Thanks, I'll look into it. If I've got any more questions I'll take it to the general thread.

Final post on my battery woes: I found a Teng 3/8 drive metric 6-point socket set (not a brand I think you really see in the US, but has a good reputation in NZ) for a decent price and picked that up. The 10mm deep socket worked so perfectly on the battery clamp and terminals that I can't shut up about it. I thought I'd managed to get the terminals reasonably tight with the crescent wrench, but using the socket revealed that they were just barely past finger tight. Having them properly fastened is a good start, and I reckon I can do a complete battery swap in 5 minutes now. Thanks to everyone for the tool suggestions and other help.

NIGARS fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 22, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Don't know if you bought anything yet, but I'm pretty sure this is the kit that I have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-201-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/21930758. I've beaten the poo poo out of drat near everything in that box (minus the screwdriver bits) and haven't managed to break anything yet. It's a hell of a starter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

With Lampert running sears into the loving ground, I no longer trust sears to still be around to honor my warranties for more than a couple years, and with their ratchets going from good to garbage, that means I don't buy their stuff anymore. HF ratchets are actually pretty nice, at least the one I have... got it free in a junkyard, found on the ground completely seized and caked in mud, freed it up via bashing it against poo poo and hosing it repeatedly with wd40. I've done some pretty stupid poo poo to it and it still has a better ratchet action than my craftsman ratchets.

This one here, item 62312: http://m.harborfreight.com/14-in-x-38-in-dual-drive-extendable-ratchet-62312.html

I can't really vouch for HF's other ratchets, haven't used em, though their 3/4 ratchet (while functional) is roughly as janky as a craftsman when it comes to jamming, randomly deciding to freewheel, not ratcheting well, etc. Still works, though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

NIGARS posted:

Thanks, I'll look into it. If I've got any more questions I'll take it to the general thread.

Final post on my battery woes: I found a Teng 3/8 drive metric 6-point socket set (not a brand I think you really see in the US, but has a good reputation in NZ) for a decent price and picked that up. The 10mm deep socket worked so perfectly on the battery clamp and terminals that I can't shut up about it. I thought I'd managed to get the terminals reasonably tight with the crescent wrench, but using the socket revealed that they were just barely past finger tight. Having them properly fastened is a good start, and I reckon I can do a complete battery swap in 5 minutes now. Thanks to everyone for the tool suggestions and other help.

Teng Tools are loving rad, I have a composite ratchet similar to yours, in ½", and that was instantly promoted to favorite ratchet.

Careful with the tightening, too loose isn't good, but there's also such a thing as too tight. If you're just starting out, I recommend getting some spare nuts and bolts and trying to overtorque a few different sizes to get a feel for how much is too much, and how it feels when things go from springy to doughy.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

the spyder posted:

I've had three HF torque wrenches. Friends have several 3/8-1/2 and the general real world- engine building- wheel torquing concensus is they are terrible. All three of mine have broken. All my friends have broken.

I still have three, and the only one I have broken was the 3/8s that rolled off the cart and smacked the floor just right. They still replaced it and the replacement has given me no troubles. v:shobon:v

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have one Craftsman torque wrench. I had it for a while before using it, used it once, but it back in its case, and when I pulled it out a few months later, there was a pool of oil in the bottom of the case.

My HF's haven't had any problems so far, though the ones at my place haven't been used extensively. The one at my dad's place has been fine for a few years, now.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My friend's Civic has _hundreds_ of miles on my HF torque wrench.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Viggen posted:

I still have three, and the only one I have broken was the 3/8s that rolled off the cart and smacked the floor just right. They still replaced it and the replacement has given me no troubles. v:shobon:v

I had the same problem with a 3/8 torque wrench. but I was desperate and my only nineteen to remove the tires was a 3/8. needless to say it was still replaced under warranty. Most people who complain about breaking there HF torque wrenches probably have broken other decent tools and are genuinely bad with tools. I have had plenty of HF tools that are great. I borrow them to one single person and they break it. Then blame it ON CHINAAAA. when I had used that tool hundreds of times with no breakage.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I think this was mentioned several pages back before it was released, but Lowes has now their Kobalt Direct Drive ratchet on sale. http://toolguyd.com/kobalt-direct-drive-gearless-ratchet/

It's awesome and its on sale right now for $9.98 marked down from $30. When I was playing with it in the store I was a little unimpressed because the "try me" plastic bit had quite a bit of play and couldn't tell if it was from the plastic or tool. But once I got it out of the packaging and played with it further it worked as well as advertised. Smallest arc I could manage will increment the ratchet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_607976-22029-86777_0__?productId=50283595 (With bonus palm ratchet, if in stock)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_607975-22029-86773_0__?productId=50283593

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sbyers77 posted:

I think this was mentioned several pages back before it was released, but Lowes has now their Kobalt Direct Drive ratchet on sale. http://toolguyd.com/kobalt-direct-drive-gearless-ratchet/

It's awesome and its on sale right now for $9.98 marked down from $30. When I was playing with it in the store I was a little unimpressed because the "try me" plastic bit had quite a bit of play and couldn't tell if it was from the plastic or tool. But once I got it out of the packaging and played with it further it worked as well as advertised. Smallest arc I could manage will increment the ratchet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_607976-22029-86777_0__?productId=50283595 (With bonus palm ratchet, if in stock)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_607975-22029-86773_0__?productId=50283593

Just came to post this. :10bux: will spent. Feels really solid.

Also Mike Holmes book "the Holmes Inspection" is 5 bux.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Anyone want to pick me up two of those Kobalt Direct Drive ratchets for a bit of additional food/booze money? I'd like one myself, and one would make a good present for a buddy- and no Lowes within 100 mile radius has them (and they won't ship). :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Viggen posted:

Anyone want to pick me up two of those Kobalt Direct Drive ratchets for a bit of additional food/booze money? I'd like one myself, and one would make a good present for a buddy- and no Lowes within 100 mile radius has them (and they won't ship). :ohdear:

I will be trying to buy one tomorrow, I'll see if they have extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I take it the sets with the bonus palm ratchet are impossible to find? I typed in a couple zip codes but can't find any stores with stock.