Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Librarians airs Sunday nights at 8/7c, on TNT.

What is The Librarians?
The Librarians is a new series from Leverage creators John Rogers and Dean Devlin. It's a continuation of the three The Librarian made-for-TV movies. Noah Wyle, the titular Librarian, heads up a mysterious and massive Library, where magical artifacts are housed. At the show's start, someone is killing off potential new librarians (the library itself chooses them) so the remaining four are gathered together and form the actual main cast. They will, presumably, be guarding the magical treasures contained within, while searching for new ones. Noah Wyle will be a recurring character, as the show will focus on these "new recruits". They will be facing off against an organization called The Serpent Brotherhood, headed up by Matt Frewer.

That all sounds very silly
Oh it is. In the main TVIV thread, poster "muscles like this?" called the show almost aggressively whimsical. The tone, and reverence with which the show treats the title "Librarian", can be easily compared to Doctor Who. Keep in mind I mean this in the best possible way. The first two episodes were fun adventure stories. Doctor Who meets Indiana Jones. (People have also compared it to Warehouse 13, but I've never watched that so I can't comment.)

Do I need to have seen the 3 TV movies for this to make sense?
From all accounts, no. I haven't watched them, so I guess I could be missing out on some things. But from what people who have seen them said in the main TVIV thread, it may help with the basic setting and understanding of the universe, but it's not required. The first episode does a pretty good job of setting up what kind of universe we're dealing with. There's magic, and there's a Library where a bunch of magic artifacts are stored. Boom, you're ready. That being said, I'm probably going to track them down and watch them anyway.

How Leverage is this show?
Very. As mentioned above, John Rogers and Dean Devlin created both shows. But more than that, it feels like the majority of the crew came over as well. It feels shot the same, the music is the same, and the overall sense of fun appears to have been carried over. Not to mention, obviously, the heavy group dynamic. Plus, one major cast member, but I'll get to that later.

Get to it now. Who's in this thing?
These people.

Rebecca Romijn as Eve Baird

A counter-terrorism agent who was chosen by Flynn to protect their new team.

Christian Kane as Jake Stone

An Oklahoma cowboy and a genius with an IQ of 190 and extensive knowledge of art history and architecture. Also, so far, the only returning Leverage cast member.

Lindy Booth as Cassandra Cillian

A mathematician who has the special gift of auditory and sensory hallucinations linked to memory retrieval.

John Kim as Ezekiel Jones

A world-class thief who looks out for one person and one person alone. He is also a "master of technologies" and fan of classic crimes who enjoys playing the role of international man of mystery.

John Larroquette as Jenkins

The new quartet's reluctant, sometimes cantankerous caretaker; he has worked at The Library's branch office "for longer than anyone knows" and has extensive knowledge of ancient lore.

Recurring cast
Mentioned above, Noah Wyle will be recurring in the show as Flynn Carsen the head Librarian, and Matt Frewer as Dulaque, the villainous head of the Serpent Brotherhood. Also possibly showing up here and there (they're both in the first episode) are Jane Curtain as Charlene, a library employee who interviewed Flynn for the Librarian job way back in the first movie, I guess, and Bob Newhart as Judson, a former Librarian who remains hanging around to dole out advice.

Only two episodes have aired thus far, but they can be watched here. Anyway, should be a fun ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm doubting that Bob Newhart will be showing up too much. He's definitely looking his age which is kind of a problem for a character that's supposed to be immortal/a ghost.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

a show with Bob Newhart and the beautiful & handsome Noah Wyle and attorney Dan motherfucking Fielding. this is a TV show made for 11 year old me

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I missed the first two eps, gotta go see if they are online.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

wormil posted:

I missed the first two eps, gotta go see if they are online.

Linked at the end of the OP.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I loved this show - it's got a sense of fun that's really refreshing. Much like Leverage! I have seen the movies but it's been a long time.

Also you can really tell that Noah Wyle loves playing Flynn.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I watched the first two episodes. So far, the acting is pretty bad, the budget is low and the story is unoriginal. Hopefully it gets better later.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

enraged_camel posted:

I watched the first two episodes. So far, the acting is pretty bad, the budget is low and the story is unoriginal. Hopefully it gets better later.

You've seen media where a group of geniuses selected by a magical library try to save the world before? Wow! You must watch a lot of tv! Do you ever leave home?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ravane posted:

You've seen media where a group of geniuses selected by a magical library try to save the world before? Wow! You must watch a lot of tv! Do you ever leave home?

A group of gifted individuals are chasing magical artifacts around the world to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.

Excuse me if I can't suppress my yawn.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

:siren:New episode tonight! :siren:
And the Horns of a Dilema
The Librarians' first solo mission hits a snag when Baird loses the others in a mysterious Labyrinth that magically exists below the skyscraper of a modern corporation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ravane posted:

Warehouse 13

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Warehouse 13

To be fair, the Librarian movies came out before Warehouse 13.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I watched the pilot because I thought Leverage was a fun show. I know this is following up from the movie series but it definitely feels like Leverage except the character archetypes seem so much dumber (socially crippled math genius dying of cancer, really) and the one that is supposed to have the most combat experience doesn't look like she can fight at all. I'm glad Christian Kane is on board because otherwise it would probably be unbearable.

The best thing about Leverage was the interpersonal dynamics and banter though, so I'll probably give this a few more eps to find its footing on that note.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I watched the pilot because I thought Leverage was a fun show. I know this is following up from the movie series but it definitely feels like Leverage except the character archetypes seem so much dumber (socially crippled math genius dying of cancer, really) and the one that is supposed to have the most combat experience doesn't look like she can fight at all. I'm glad Christian Kane is on board because otherwise it would probably be unbearable.

The best thing about Leverage was the interpersonal dynamics and banter though, so I'll probably give this a few more eps to find its footing on that note.

Yeah I thought the pilot sucked too but I also think it was aimed at the people who haven't seen the tv movies. Hopefully the show gets a lot better from here on out.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Something supernatural is trying to eat you and you assume the dudes in the black robes are here to help?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Human Resources as a cavern of skulls is decidedly appropriate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like the whole still stuck in the labyrinth plot.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TheChad posted:

Yeah I thought the pilot sucked too but I also think it was aimed at the people who haven't seen the tv movies. Hopefully the show gets a lot better from here on out.

The TV movies weren't exactly works of art themselves, if you're looking for something that's going to win awards as opposed to being dumb light fun then I think you've got the wrong show with this one.

I liked how Flynn has become a less boring Doctor Who.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Getting a Wolfram & Hart vibe from these bad guys.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Show's fun enough but I really can't help but think that I'm getting conned out of more Leverage directly because of this.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Sighence posted:

Show's fun enough but I really can't help but think that I'm getting conned out of more Leverage directly because of this.

more like you weren't gonna get more leverage anyway, might as well enjoy this as something that can scratch a similar itch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sighence posted:

Why on earth would you think this show would be depriving you of more episodes of a show that ended two years ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Watching the first episode of this show that doesn't have Noah Wyle in it, and I think I'm going to take this off my recording list because boy can these people not carry a show. They seem to have missed the key part of what made Leverage good, which is that the characters were at least interesting and likable. If I have to hear that one douchebag mention how he's a WULD CLAHS THAFE one more time I'm going to throw the remote through the TV.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

raditts posted:

Why on earth would you think this show would be depriving you of more episodes of a show that ended two years ago.

You say that like shows never get brought back from the dead these days. When large swaths of Leverage alums with representatives from both sides of the camera are involved in a show on the same network? Surely you can't begrudge me the whimsy of wishing that what I'd hope you can agree was the better show even at this stage in its run was on in its place.

Don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy this for the Warehouse 13 replacement that it is. A Leverage replacement, however, is a bridge too far - just one all too easily visible given the pedigree of a lot of people involved, and doubly so given the parallels of the character archetypes amongst the Librarians.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

raditts posted:

Watching the first episode of this show that doesn't have Noah Wyle in it, and I think I'm going to take this off my recording list because boy can these people not carry a show. They seem to have missed the key part of what made Leverage good, which is that the characters were at least interesting and likable. If I have to hear that one douchebag mention how he's a WULD CLAHS THAFE one more time I'm going to throw the remote through the TV.

I like the thief well enough, I'm just ticked off that Elliot's leverage role is being taken by Rebecca when he's literally on the show. Doesn't help that she can't act worth a drat.

Write her out, cast another Librarian (or not) and the show would be greatly improved.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Having her as the fighter/guardian works when played against Noah Wyle, but yeah it comes off as a bit odd with Christian Kane on the show.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Her fight scenes are rather painful to watch, especially the first episode. They should have gotten number Six to play that role.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Directed by Frakes and guest starring Bruce Campbell, it is a Christmas miracle!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Somebody jacked Santa's ride :argh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming Dulac is immortal. Also laughed at how the plane's ID was cxm45.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So I'm a little confused. Does anyone on the show have a library science degree from an American Library Association accredited institution or is the place they work for just called "The Library" and has nothing to do with being an actual librarian?

Meaning is the show about librarians fighting evil or is the show just about random people who end up in a place called a library?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ho ho

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Look, I'm just down with the idea of Librarians with guns shooting the aliens or demons or whatever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

. I'm glad Christian Kane is on board because otherwise it would probably be unbearable.

He's great because.. Cassandra is like a Disney version of Winifred Burkle from Angel. Christian Kane was easily one of the highlights of that show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Insane Totoro posted:

So I'm a little confused. Does anyone on the show have a library science degree from an American Library Association accredited institution or is the place they work for just called "The Library" and has nothing to do with being an actual librarian?

Meaning is the show about librarians fighting evil or is the show just about random people who end up in a place called a library?

I realize this may be a fakepost, but I'll bite.

The first guy (Noah Wyle/Flynn Carson, the guy that they took over from) probably did have a library science degree, he had like 25 PHDs or something, he was a professional student until landed the Librarian gig. He was chosen from a pool of hundreds of possible candidates. It's possible that most of those normal candidates do have actual library knowledge, but all the good candidates got killed off before the first episode of this new series, which is why we have these weird reject characters.

The remaining candidates, the characters on the show, are the only ones that weren't killed off - they managed to slip by undetected for just the reason you say, it wasn't even apparent that they would be someone who could take over as a librarian.

I'd imagine that Jenkins guy has some librarian chops.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 22, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Insane Totoro posted:

Look, I'm just down with the idea of Librarians with guns shooting the aliens or demons or whatever.

Assorted nerds in a library annex goon to Canada to start a bad fight with a bunch of hockey stick wielding frostbacks.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Thanks!

It was a serious post....

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

Thanks!

It was a serious post....

You could watch the original movies, I watched them before I saw the new show, they're sorta okay (bright spots and low spots) and I think they helped me appreciate the new series more. They give you background on stuff like this.

For instance, the "Library" is not just a storehouse for books, but for any sort of knowledge, specifically arcane/divine/mystical. So that includes not just books, but a lot of physical items. It's almost more of a museum than a library, really, and the librarian is the caretaker of that collection. So sometimes he may have to go track something down if it gets stolen or whatever. Also supposedly it's a successor of the Library of Alexandria.

tl;dr "Curator" would probably be a better word than "Librarian" but I guess they didn't think that sounded as catchy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Curators sounds like the name of a cover band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Actually, wait, I don't have to guess about this stuff. I just remembered there's a scene in the first movie where all the hundreds of applicants are coming in for the Librarian position, and the Flynn guy is getting interviewed and he does mention that he knows all the normal dewey decimal, library of congress, etc various librarian knowledge type of stuff, and the interviewer says "Everybody knows that, they're librarians."

So yes, it does seem that the applicants all have at least enough knowledge to be a proper librarian, they just don't show it on the show typically.

• Locked thread