Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
https://twitter.com/HannahS597/status/546336919076864000

quote:

Bang Your Drum:
Bang Your Drum, Dead Man Fall | Format: MP3 Music
455,236%
Sales Rank in Songs: 358 (was 1,630,106…

Ha.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

AA is for Quitters posted:

Screw Rod Stewart, I wanna see Craig Ferguson do the Great American Songbook. I knew he could sing, but that was amazing.

Is it just me or the "what did we learn on the show the last 10 years craig" thing morph into lazer cats and "We Are High" in the live broadcast?

Cause I dvr'd it and showed it to a friend for the amazing end scene, and it definitely didn't.

"We Are High" was Thursday
"I Hate Ham" was Friday

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

raditts posted:

Craig would never have taken the Late Show spot.

Yeah, I think the way things worked out for him in getting that 6 (or 10?) million provision for being passed over was the best possibly situation for Craig. CBS would have never allowed him to get away with half of what we came to love him for on the LLS, and he would've ended up hating it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ghostpilot posted:

Yeah, I think the way things worked out for him in getting that 6 (or 10?) million provision for being passed over was the best possibly situation for Craig. CBS would have never allowed him to get away with half of what we came to love him for on the LLS, and he would've ended up hating it.

Yeah, it would have been depressing to see really. In addition to having to be blander due to the earlier time slot, he'd have to work directly for CBS instead of for Dave and WWP, who let him do whatever the gently caress he wanted.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Dr Tran posted:

"We Are High" was Thursday
"I Hate Ham" was Friday

That's right. On my DVR it didn't change at all, it just said "what did we learn on the show the last 10 years tonight Craig?" and then went to Craig introducing Secretariat.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

It's in the top 100 on Amazon right now, and is currently the number 1 most downloaded track in the Rock category.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

It's in the top 100 on Amazon right now, and is currently the number 1 most downloaded track in the Rock category.
Not bad for a send off that one writer on NPR.org said (in comparison to Colbert) "One birthed a future star of the genre and another ended as a noble experiment which never quite lived up to its potential"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd love to revisit that quote in five years just to laugh about how wrong it was. Colbert's not going to be the next great anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

I'd love to revisit that quote in five years just to laugh about how wrong it was. Colbert's not going to be the next great anything.

I'm not gonna go either way on that statement until we see him out of his old character for a while.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Robnoxious posted:

Not bad for a send off that one writer on NPR.org said (in comparison to Colbert) "One birthed a future star of the genre and another ended as a noble experiment which never quite lived up to its potential"

Well, I dunno.

I think Colbert did okay, potential-wise.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Special shout-out to Mary McCormack moonwalking in high-heels while holding the snake mug.

Also, who is it in the field with the drums and the dancing girl?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he'll do. We went to a taping of Colbert Report last year, went through all the same things any other audience would until Stephen came out casually dressed and told us that the taping wasn't going ahead as the episode was a taped interview with Bill Clinton on Saturday. But they still went through all the rigmarole for us (which was cool) and we watched the episode with Stephen. As an apology, he said rather than doing a few minutes of Q&A we'd do a bunch during each ad break instead. As much as I love Colbert the character, Colbert the person is just on another level and the audience were hanging on his every word. Maybe his style will clash with what the brass want, but it'll be at the very least interesting.

----

With regards to Craig, is there any list anywhere of particularly excellent episodes? I'd like to put a little collection together just out of guilt for not having time to watch late night at all really this year (I've got the last week ready to watch at least), and there's bound to be some great times over the last 5 or 6 years that are easy enough to dig up. I particularly remember the WIlford Brimley episode being superb (11/23/11 with Ty Burrell as lead guest) as well as the Stephen Fry interview that had no audience. I'm sure there's *lots* of great pinpointed moments of the show. (I grabbed that 9 hour best of to watch, but Craig works best as an episode in it's whole I find rather than clips).

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

People who haven't seen Colbert out of character enough who think he won't be a slam dunk late night host just haven't seen him work, because the guy is an incredible interviewer, he's always funny and charismatic and a super nice guy. He's perfect.

If you wanna see him do a killer interview, watch his interview with Neil DeGrasse-Tyson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXh9RQCvxmg

Craig is a brilliant interview as well, but Colbert really is about as good as he is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what he'll do. We went to a taping of Colbert Report last year, went through all the same things any other audience would until Stephen came out casually dressed and told us that the taping wasn't going ahead as the episode was a taped interview with Bill Clinton on Saturday. But they still went through all the rigmarole for us (which was cool) and we watched the episode with Stephen. As an apology, he said rather than doing a few minutes of Q&A we'd do a bunch during each ad break instead. As much as I love Colbert the character, Colbert the person is just on another level and the audience were hanging on his every word. Maybe his style will clash with what the brass want, but it'll be at the very least interesting.

----

With regards to Craig, is there any list anywhere of particularly excellent episodes? I'd like to put a little collection together just out of guilt for not having time to watch late night at all really this year (I've got the last week ready to watch at least), and there's bound to be some great times over the last 5 or 6 years that are easy enough to dig up. I particularly remember the WIlford Brimley episode being superb (11/23/11 with Ty Burrell as lead guest) as well as the Stephen Fry interview that had no audience. I'm sure there's *lots* of great pinpointed moments of the show. (I grabbed that 9 hour best of to watch, but Craig works best as an episode in it's whole I find rather than clips).
Paris Week and the Desmond Tutu episode are the pinnacles of Craig's Late Late Show, if you haven't watched those you need to.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I liked Scotland week, too. And his conversation about Sandra Bullock's "area rug."

Monkeyspit
Mar 4, 2004

The fact is: The fish got changed more often than the water

Steve Vader posted:

Special shout-out to Mary McCormack moonwalking in high-heels while holding the snake mug.

Also, who is it in the field with the drums and the dancing girl?

That's Kevin Bacon on drums and his wife Kyra Sedgwick dancing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This is my favorite Craig thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAHSUTB5BJc

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, that was the most magical thing ever.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
My favorite craig moment would be where he just straight up goes "I'm not making fun of Britney for being nuts, because I've been there" and tells the story of what finally drove him to rock bottom. It's not funny, its just straight up heartfelt and hopeful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZVWIELHQQY

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The Brittany monologue is pretty great, but I'll go back even further and heap praise upon the monologue he gave in January 2006, eulogizing his father.

http://youtu.be/oo_9IF_8mtI?list=PL2FF9A81914E1819A
http://youtu.be/veZSUPUwdv4?list=PL2FF9A81914E1819A

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally watched the finale. I'll miss Craig :(.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

The Brittany monologue is pretty great, but I'll go back even further and heap praise upon the monologue he gave in January 2006, eulogizing his father.

http://youtu.be/oo_9IF_8mtI?list=PL2FF9A81914E1819A
http://youtu.be/veZSUPUwdv4?list=PL2FF9A81914E1819A

one of the crazy things there is that he hadn't been doing the show for long at all, and he was already at that level.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Skunny Wundy posted:

one of the crazy things there is that he hadn't been doing the show for long at all, and he was already at that level.

Actually, according to his book, that was when he found his voice for the show, if I recall properly. I think it was Peter Lassally or somebody who came up to him after that and said 'more of that' in a kind of 'be who you are, make this your own' way. Before that, he was the 'cheeky monkey' guy, I think.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gonna miss that fuckin' show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I love that it's saved on Josh's YouTube page so it's never going away. :allears:

e: DIABETUS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDQ38dx21o

e2: Larry King Geoff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXiburHUQg

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 22, 2014

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Pinwiz11 posted:

I love that it's saved on Josh's YouTube page so it's never going away. :allears:

No idea what the contracts say, but considering that most full LLS eps are still on YouTube, AND Craig more or less acknowledged on the finale that the show was cool with it if not outright doing it themselves, AND the whole thing is owned by Dave/Worldwide Pants...maybe The Late Late Show will truly live on in (semi-official) online streaming of its archives.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I could never find the full episode of the anniversary or 1000th episode that was all puppets, is that available online anywhere? That is one of like less than 10 episodes of the show that I missed.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
This bit definitely had to have the producers begging Josh to sign a contract agreeing to stay until the show ends.

Mister Kingdom posted:

We're never going to see anything like this again. Craig came in as an outsider and destroyed his competition. And this coming from a long time Letterman fan.

Dave should have quit 10 years ago.
Dave is definitely old and out of touch, but compared to the perpetual kiss rear end Jimmy Fallon, I kind of appreciate seeing Dave be completely uninterested in random starlets.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My favorite Craig thing was one of Secretariats first appearances, when he ran headlong into the wall on his way out. I can't seem to find it on youtube :(

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

We're never going to see anything like this again. Craig came in as an outsider and destroyed his competition. And this coming from a long time Letterman fan.

Dave should have quit 10 years ago.

it sounds dumb but I think that at least some of it was probably just Letterman wanting to outlast Leno, even if it meant lessening the legacy he would've had if he'd left when he should have.

he's never really struck me as the Leno work-until-I-die type of guy. like that might be there to some degree but not enough to justify going on with a show he clearly stopped caring about years ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fenris13 posted:

I could never find the full episode of the anniversary or 1000th episode that was all puppets, is that available online anywhere? That is one of like less than 10 episodes of the show that I missed.

Do you know the dates off hand?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
December 15th, 2009 according to wikipedia.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Skunny Wundy posted:

it sounds dumb but I think that at least some of it was probably just Letterman wanting to outlast Leno, even if it meant lessening the legacy he would've had if he'd left when he should have.

he's never really struck me as the Leno work-until-I-die type of guy. like that might be there to some degree but not enough to justify going on with a show he clearly stopped caring about years ago.

Not dumb. At least I thought the same thing. It was a gently caress-you-Jay move.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Pinwiz11 posted:

e: DIABETUS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDQ38dx21o

e2: Larry King Geoff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXiburHUQg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJdmmSTvw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7dkK_VKcwk

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 22, 2014

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I watched the Part 3 of Craig laughing and completely forgot about the hot CBS censor lady they had for a while.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

I watched the Part 3 of Craig laughing and completely forgot about the hot CBS censor lady they had for a while.

Yeah, it was one of those bits they tried that didn't really work out, I feel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, it was one of those bits they tried that didn't really work out, I feel.

She was hot, though.

Anyway, I just don't see the new guy being this much fun.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

She was hot, though.

Anyway, I just don't see the new guy being this much fun.

Corden's pretty good in the Wrong Mans (which just started airing Season two), but that's scripted to hell and back. No idea how good this guy is with unscripted stuff that LLS will require of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mister Kingdom posted:

She was hot, though.

Indeed she was.

I liked that phase when Craig did the stuff with the puppets. The couple of times he had Lauren Graham doing puppets with him are some of the funniest moments I can remember. I guess once Geoff came along and became a regular character they became a bit much though.