Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Night Danger Moose posted:

Naw, I meant this:

The FoST is looking the best to me right now, I'll probably be test driving it today. We don't have a FiST on the lot unfortunately.

Tangerine Scream! The best name for a color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Night Danger Moose posted:

Naw, I meant this:

The FoST is looking the best to me right now, I'll probably be test driving it today. We don't have a FiST on the lot unfortunately.

The Tangerine Scream is a fantastic color. However, the Molten Orange on the FiST looks absolutely incredible in the sunlight. I wish they made both colors available for both cars.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Has anyone spent time in the gtd? How was it for you? I ask because if things work out, I'll need a new or new to me car for a nearly daily 80 mile one way trip in a year or so, so I want to have some good mileage with my fun.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I enjoyed driving the FiST around a race track more than I did a FoST, but I hated getting in and out of it (and it wasn't the roll bar's fault) and I wouldn't want one for a daily driver.

If I won the lotto I would totally get one for track use though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am guessing the new GTI is the roomies of the hot hatches, would it be acceptable for a real tall driver with 2 car seats in the back or is that just insanity?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Atmus posted:

I enjoyed driving the FiST around a race track more than I did a FoST, but I hated getting in and out of it (and it wasn't the roll bar's fault) and I wouldn't want one for a daily driver.

If I won the lotto I would totally get one for track use though.
If I won the lotto I'd be looking at dedicated track cars, not a fiesta.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

priznat posted:

I am guessing the new GTI is the roomies of the hot hatches, would it be acceptable for a real tall driver with 2 car seats in the back or is that just insanity?

I'm 6'2"[190.5 cm] and it feels perfectly fine for me in the SE version with leather seats and a manual transmission.

Back seat is plenty roomy for a couple car seats I assume, I would have no occasion to test that though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hmm good info. I tried out a FoST and it was definitely too small for me even without the car seats. I'm 6'8" so jamming myself in there can be a problem sometimes.

Might go a bit bigger to a wagon or whatever the Benz b class is considered. Definitely don't want a minivan or suv/cuv etc.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

Is it a height issue? I'm 6'2 and don't have any problems getting in or out of my Fiesta. It's actually the first car I've owned in many years that I'm keeping as a daily driver for longer than a year. Somehow I like it better than my 2012 Evo, 2009 STI, 2006 S2000, and 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. As a daily driver.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

priznat posted:

6'3" here but no kids, so I guess it's a question of how far the seats/kids stick past the bottom of the back seat. As long as they're in car seats, I think it'd be fine. I definitely have to move my seat up to get an adult back there, but kids in car seats might be okay depending on age.

e: or if you're like 6'8" or something freakishly tall

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

ilkhan posted:

If I won the lotto I'd be looking at dedicated track cars, not a fiesta.

If I won the lotto, I'd have my own hangar sized garage on my own personal track with several dedicated track cars, one of which being a track modified Fiesta ST.

BoostCreep posted:

Is it a height issue? I'm 6'2 and don't have any problems getting in or out of my Fiesta. It's actually the first car I've owned in many years that I'm keeping as a daily driver for longer than a year. Somehow I like it better than my 2012 Evo, 2009 STI, 2006 S2000, and 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. As a daily driver.

I'm 6'2 as well and it was more of a 'gently caress you for having knees' issue, but it might as well have been a 'gently caress you for thinking you have to fall into a Fiesta the same way you have to fall into a Focus' issue. It could have been that I didn't have enough time to learn how to get in and out of the car properly, as it took me a couple days to get it right for the Focus. Coming from 80's F-series as daily drivers, it took some practice.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
So I took notice of some incentives that Ford is offering at the moment, and am honestly pretty close to going for a Fiesta ST (while I can still get at least some money for my current car). I checked with my Dad, who has a Consumer Reports subscription, and apparently they gave ST a pretty damning review recently. Supposedly they claimed the acceleration is far less than they expected, and it's rife with mechanical problems. He's out of town right now and can't send me the review, so it's possible he wasn't reading it right (like it may have been a review for one of the non-ST trims, though I'd imagine reliability at least would be pretty consistent). Can anyone comment on this review?

I hate to ask this, since this car seems to be pretty universally loved, but is it a reliable car? Especially if I'm going to buy the thing new, I don't want it to crap its pants in 3 years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a CS sub and looked it up, it scores a 74 which is decent:

quote:

Cars that are frugal, affordable, and easy to park don't have to be boring to drive. That's clearly the message of Ford's hot hatch, the subcompact Fiesta ST. It's a sporty makeover of the conventional Fiesta that seems to have had the in-house tuners working late into the night. And the results have given this unassuming-looking mini car a distinctively oversized personality.

The Fiesta ST was clearly developed by people who like driving. Even the most diehard enthusiasts at our test track were impressed with its handling, steering responsiveness, and sporty-sounding engine.

Agile handling, especially, is the Fiesta's strong suit, complemented by steering that has immediate and near-telepathic responsiveness. But there's much more. The 197-hp turbocharged four-cylinder engine pulls strongly in just about any gear. The car's amazing braking performance is more reminiscent of a Corvette or Porsche than a small hatchback. And unlike some sporty cars, the ST doesn't beat you up with obnoxious noise levels; it emits an invigorating growl that's music to an enthusiast's ears.

As you might expect with a sporty car, however, the ST's ride is stiff and busy, even on seemingly smooth roads, although it provides token isolation on bumps.

The spirited engine delivers instant throttle response and good fuel economy of 29 mpg overall, which is slightly below the Mini Cooper S's 30 mpg. Take note, though: you can only get a manual transmission, so plan on shifting yourself.

The interior demands some compromises. The Fiesta is a narrow car, so it might be tight for larger drivers. The interior finish is decent, and the attractive optional Recaro seats look cool. The seats hug you tightly in corners, but they're extremely confining for many drivers, who felt squeezed by the aggressive bolsters. So try before you buy.

The Fiesta ST has Ford's complicated MyFord Touch system, which can be cumbersome to use in even the best circumstances. In the ST, the touch screen is 6.5 inches, instead of the usual 8 inches, and it's mounted far from the driver. The smaller screen makes the already small fonts and tightly clustered buttons harder to use while driving, and having to operate them while stretching out your arm and being bounced around by the stiff suspension is especially tough going. You have a better chance of getting the response you want by using the voice controls.

The bottom line? The Fiesta ST is a joy to drive, and zipping happily along a winding back road can make you forget about its few negatives.

The company claims to have made interior changes to help reduce road and wind noise for 2015 models.

Why buy one:
It's a blast to drive. The ST's sheer joy erases most of the reasons not to buy one
Super-agile handling that's secure and forgiving
Instant throttle response
Invigorating sound
Good fuel economy
Slick shifter
Four-door body style adds practicality over its direct rivals
Relatively inexpensive if you don't get any options (which you don't need)
Why not buy one:
Optional Recaro seats don't fit everyone
MyFord Touch controls are poorly implemented
Ride is always choppy and busy, never settled down
Viable alternatives:
Fiat 500 Abarth
Mini Cooper S
Best version/options to get:

You don't get a lot of choices with the Fiesta ST, but the base car comes well equipped. There's only one engine and transmission combo, so if you want an automatic, you're out of luck. And unless you're comfortable in skinny jeans, you may want to bypass the confining $1,995 Recaro seats. The ST comes with a free day of professional instruction at a high-performance driving school, making it one of the least expensive cars to offer that perk.

Seems like a very positive review IMO.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
It's acceleration is excellent - way quicker than anything in it's class, so thats bullshit. It's a 2,600lbs hatchback with 200hp and 220~ ft-lbs of torque, it's slow compared to a real sports car, but it's definitely the fastest subcompact I know of.
As far as reliability, I've done about 15K on mine this year, and not a single problem, and I absolutely flog on mine every time I drive it. I wouldn't trust consumer reports - go with the advice of about every credible automotive journalist who raves about it, and slapped it on just about every "best car of the year" list I can think of.

It's definitely the best car I've owned for sure - I can't think of many downsides - the low profile tires are the only thing I really don't like. It's stiff but thats the way I like my hot hatches.

Just make sure to get the Recaro seats.

edit:

re: the above review - you have to be at least 350lbs not to fit in the recaro seats, and they break in after a month or so very nicely - my ford touch is not bad at all, but the voice commands are absolutely, hilariously useless.

I also average about 20-24MPG because I actually drive the car like it's meant to be driven - I've never even hit 30mpg, let alone average it - so the person reviewing it sounds like a very, very fat person who drove the car slowly.

Voltage fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 19, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The only thing I don't like about the Fiesta/Focus ST is the interior styling - just way too much going on for my tastes. Then again maybe I'm just old and grumpy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I find with the recaro type seats if you're outside the average height the bolsters can be in uncomfortable spots. Don't even have to be too wide, in my case since I'm tall the headrest sides would just dig into my shoulder blades.

Granted I'm well outside the norm height wise but it's a consideration even if you're moderately tall, depends on torso length etc.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I am a skinny bitch so I'm down with Recaro seats, my problem with the interior (granted, FoST) is that it's basically sculpted around you like a cockpit. There is quite a lot going on but there's also quite a bit of wasted space forward of the steering wheel and dash.

I am only 5'10 and I bang my knees on the dashboard when I get in and out because of how the headlight control sticks out. I don't know how else to describe the center console beyond "there's no loving place to put my cell phone" :suicide:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Voltage posted:

I wouldn't trust consumer reports - go with the advice of about every credible automotive journalist who raves about it, and slapped it on just about every "best car of the year" list I can think of.

It's definitely the best car I've owned for sure - I can't think of many downsides - the low profile tires are the only thing I really don't like. It's stiff but thats the way I like my hot hatches.

I know it's a well-liked car; that's the reason I'm interested in it. I just can't help but notice that there's not a peep to be heard about reliability. I know Fords in general have been said to be pretty unreliable recently....is that changing? Granted, the car hasn't been around that long, so long-term data isn't really available, but has anyone seen much info on at least short-term quality?

I really, really want to buy this car, but I'm coming from a car where "scheduled maintenance" means "thousands of dollars", and I just can't afford that on top of monthly payments.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Capn Jobe posted:

I know Fords in general have been said to be pretty unreliable recently....is that changing?

This statement seems misinformed.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Voltage posted:

I wouldn't trust consumer reports - go with the advice of about every credible automotive journalist who raves about it, and slapped it on just about every "best car of the year" list.

This is a pretty comedy statement. Ignoring that CR is really a magazine for appliance shoppers, it's really the only credible automotive magazine there is because it isn't engaged in the racket that is automotive journalism.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I'm a little over 15k miles and I've had no problems. I frequent a FiST forum, and the only widespread complaints I can think of are that some of the very early 2014 FiST's had a clutch that went defective extremely early (within a few hundred miles) and the fact that the "Oil Life" monitor cannot be reset. You are suppose to be able to reset it by following the manual's instruction, but it simply does not work on the ST, so there are alot of us running around with 0% oil life left. I haven't checked if this is something they fixed on the '15, but I would hope so.

e; also brake pads were (are?) difficult to find. Last time I checked, the OEM pads were on 'national backorder' , and the aftermarket doesn't have many options yet.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 20, 2014

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Capn Jobe posted:

I know it's a well-liked car; that's the reason I'm interested in it. I just can't help but notice that there's not a peep to be heard about reliability. I know Fords in general have been said to be pretty unreliable recently....is that changing? Granted, the car hasn't been around that long

I don't know how you're going to get reliability reports on a car that's only been out for a year in the US. Just word of mouth. Mine has almost 9k effortless miles, and I do not treat my cars kindly.

Capn Jobe posted:

I really, really want to buy this car, but I'm coming from a car where "scheduled maintenance" means "thousands of dollars", and I just can't afford that on top of monthly payments.

I opted for the maintenance package. Everything from oil changes to major scheduled service is "free" for 100k miles or whatever the service period is, and it costs $7 extra a month. Skip that extra skinny soy latte once a month and you don't have to worry about "thousands of dollars" of scheduled maintenance.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Our FiST is just about to pass 18k and the only annoyance has been some creaking/clicking of the clutch pedal and some interior rattles. How bad that is depends on the person I guess. Ford replaced the clutch pedal assembly which was a little overkill in my mind and the sound still happens.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

Soiled Meat
Cool, thanks for all the encouragement. I was on the charge last night, and stopped at two dealers on my way home from work, hoping to actually see one. None to be had, though other dealers in the area have them.

Anyway, one place had a pair of very well-equipped 2014 Focus STs. They're still there because they're asking $29-30k for them, which is outrageous. I figure I could talk them down to somewhere in the low 20s. In some ways I'd rather have the Focus, mostly for the storage space, but would rather save a few grand. Supposing I could get one of these at a price comparable to a 2015 Fiesta, is that a worthy option?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Capn Jobe posted:

I figure I could talk them down to somewhere in the low 20s. In some ways I'd rather have the Focus, mostly for the storage space, but would rather save a few grand. Supposing I could get one of these at a price comparable to a 2015 Fiesta, is that a worthy option?

You might get an ST1 for low 20's. A new ST2 or ST3 at low 20's would be an unparalleled deal. Most people don't do much better than Ford X-Plan pricing, which for an ST3 is about $25k (before TTL) give or take ~$500-$1000 in additional incentives.

To put it into perspective, I bought a used, but fully-loaded ST3 in 2013 for $23,204 when they were still fairly uncommon and in high demand. My total was $25,200 after TTL.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 20, 2014

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After years of lovely tyres I finally sprung for some Michelin PS3's on my Golf GTI. Feels like a different (and 10x more fun) car.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've made my decision on my next car. In march I'm trading the FR-S for a FiST and getting myself an old early 90s miata as a project car. I test drove the Fiesta ST a week ago and it was so much fun to drive. It was just as fun as the FR-S and much more comfortable. The shifter feels great. Whatever they do with torque vectoring really takes away the boring parts of front wheel drive and makes this car a joy to just whip around. It's going to be a difficult 3 months.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The "reliability" issues with recent Ford's comes from the My Ford Touch malfunctioning. It's the only issue my mom's used '13 2.0 EB Escape has had. Most reliability surveys count all issues the same so a light bulb going out is the same as a transmission failing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SFH1989 posted:

The "reliability" issues with recent Ford's comes from the My Ford Touch malfunctioning. It's the only issue my mom's used '13 2.0 EB Escape has had. Most reliability surveys count all issues the same so a light bulb going out is the same as a transmission failing.

I'm sure that's the case. For me personally MFT has been pretty fine. Has occasional issues with slow responding, but certainly by the time the FoST came out most of the issues were already hammered out.

Also, I suppose if you buy a 2016 model year Ford it will come with whatever new in-dash OS they're using now instead of MFT.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was looking at "mild hatches" because I'm a poor and noticed that ford are being dicks by restricting paint color by trim level. You can only get black, white, or grey on the fiesta S. Also all the other brands I looked at have a 6 speed available regardless of trim, but ford only has the 6 on the ST trim.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Occasionally on mine the MFT would totally lock up for a while, I'm not sure if it was updating or what. Anyway, I couldn't turn the station, adjust the volume or even turn it off. I'm thinking maybe one of the updates fixed this, as it hasn't done it in a while. I was kind of worried I would pick the kids up from school one day and I would be stuck in the car with a couple elementary kids listening to Howard Stern talk about dicks

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

GutBomb posted:

I've made my decision on my next car. In march I'm trading the FR-S for a FiST and getting myself an old early 90s miata as a project car. I test drove the Fiesta ST a week ago and it was so much fun to drive. It was just as fun as the FR-S and much more comfortable. The shifter feels great. Whatever they do with torque vectoring really takes away the boring parts of front wheel drive and makes this car a joy to just whip around. It's going to be a difficult 3 months.

You just stay away from Road America.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I was looking at "mild hatches" because I'm a poor and noticed that ford are being dicks by restricting paint color by trim level. You can only get black, white, or grey on the fiesta S. Also all the other brands I looked at have a 6 speed available regardless of trim, but ford only has the 6 on the ST trim.

Yeah why would you need a 6 speed at all on a 90 hp econo car? And I don't know what you're talking about. I see green and orange fiesta/focuses all the freakin' time. I get excited cause they look like ST colors from afar and then when I get close they aren't.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Why would you do all the mods just to get rid of the car in a few months?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well VW announced pricing on the new R. The dealership I normally use is ordering a bunch but they're only going to be blue/dsg/nav/tech and be around 39600 :( The manual transmission won't be available until 2016. VWOA is so hateful.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah why would you need a 6 speed at all on a 90 hp econo car? And I don't know what you're talking about. I see green and orange fiesta/focuses all the freakin' time. I get excited cause they look like ST colors from afar and then when I get close they aren't.

This is based off of the "build your own" option on ford's site. The non-lovely colors are locked in SE trim and higher. Also the non-ST trims are 120hp not 90, and about the same weight as my zx2, so I would consider them semi-sporty which would be nice with a 6 speed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

If anything the less power you have the more gears you need

lovely cellphone picture:

The 3 is mine, the (old shape) Fiesta ST my dads and the (brand new) Focus ST you can just see the arse end of is my aunts. My mums Swift Sport is there too, but you can't really see it.

Hatches are awesome

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Well VW announced pricing on the new R. The dealership I normally use is ordering a bunch but they're only going to be blue/dsg/nav/tech and be around 39600 :( The manual transmission won't be available until 2016. VWOA is so hateful.

Now you know what it feels like being a Subaru fan. :smug:

Then again, you at least know that a manual AWD hot hatch is in the works so you don't have it nearly as bad. Whereas every official line from SOA and FHI has been that there is no plans to bring back the WRX hatchback. :sigh: I'm fairly certain that they'll do it eventually but will they do it soon enough? Hopefully, they'll have something out by 2016 and throw us a bone in the form of news before this summer.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bovril Delight posted:

Why would you do all the mods just to get rid of the car in a few months?

Mods are fun.

I need a car that is fun but will also fit my wife and rear facing baby seat in it. The FiST without recaros will work just fine for that. The back seat in the FR-S is to small to fit the baby seat and someone in the front seat because it has a tunnel going through the middle of the back seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I really don't think you'll comfortably fit a baby seat into a Fiesta (any Fiesta) - definitely check that out.