Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I'm surprised Dongmin didn't choose that game first. He must have been confident he could score a win in the first two games.

It was pretty clear he was thinking smart: If he managed to win the game he wasn't expected to be good at, he has a big advantage as he's unnerved his opponent going into the unknown match. If he ends up losing the first one, then he feels he only needs to fight hard to take the second, and in the third he'd be favored. It would only have been a problem if the unknown game heavily favored his opponent. I'd be really surprised if that wasn't adapted from the Black Garnet mission.

I like that they just decided at the end to throw the third place player's garnets into the pot, which was happening anyway all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

redreader posted:

So he took another opportunity on national tv, to call her dumb. Not super classy.

She's not dumb, but she doesn't handle pressure well and what Dongmin said is both 100% true and also hilarious

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm still not sure how much of Ahyoung's ditziness was an act. I think she definitely played it up a bit sometimes to convince people she was a harmless teammate who would do what they wanted. But then again, her performance on the invisible maze wasn't great. I guess I was hoping for another Kyungran.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lancelot posted:

I'm still not sure how much of Ahyoung's ditziness was an act. I think she definitely played it up a bit sometimes to convince people she was a harmless teammate who would do what they wanted. But then again, her performance on the invisible maze wasn't great. I guess I was hoping for another Kyungran.

I think the final episode pretty much proved that she's just the clumsiest person alive.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The opening alone made this by far my favourite of the finals. I felt way more invested this time round, I think because the last two times I backed one contestant all the way.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
For me, I wasn't as convinced that Dongmin won all of that support from simple goodwill. Maybe I could go back and rewatch, and I'd change my opinion here, but it seemed like a matter of courtesy and respect. Like, Dongmin is older (Korea has a weird oppa complex), and he is a very well-established comedian/broadcaster, whereas Hyunmin is the supposedly cocky KAIST student who's younger than literally the rest of the cast. I could see that both as being bitter that he'd beaten them, as well as deferential to a significant figure of cultural influence, so the fact that the advantages were so unilateral kind of left a sour taste in my mouth.

Not to say this was a bad finale. Not at all! It was a lot more satisfying than season 2. It just felt hollow and foregone before it even started.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lancelot posted:

Kyungran was solid throughout the season though. Ahyoung never demonstrated any real abilities and just about should have lost in the first round.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Propaganda Machine posted:

For me, I wasn't as convinced that Dongmin won all of that support from simple goodwill. Maybe I could go back and rewatch, and I'd change my opinion here, but it seemed like a matter of courtesy and respect. Like, Dongmin is older (Korea has a weird oppa complex), and he is a very well-established comedian/broadcaster, whereas Hyunmin is the supposedly cocky KAIST student who's younger than literally the rest of the cast. I could see that both as being bitter that he'd beaten them, as well as deferential to a significant figure of cultural influence, so the fact that the advantages were so unilateral kind of left a sour taste in my mouth.

If the age thing was really that significant of a cultural factor, then why wasn't Season 2's finale just as equally unbalanced?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

qbert posted:

If the age thing was really that significant of a cultural factor, then why wasn't Season 2's finale just as equally unbalanced?

Yohwan wasn't that younger, I'll assume (isn't he 30-something?). Plus, he's also somewhat of a celebrity.

Josh Lyman posted:

Kyungran was solid throughout the season though. Ahyoung never demonstrated any real abilities and just about should have lost in the first round.

Yeonjoo got close to the Kyungran spot, if she didn't choke against Dongmin she might've made the finals on momentum alone.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

So disappointed that it had to be Juri vs Ahyoung in the first deathmatch. Pretty much anyone would have been a more active participant in the games than Ahyoung, though if Juri had won we would not have gotten the hilarity of Dongmin scolding her constantly. Also Juri looked amazing in the finale and let's not pretend that we don't enjoy attractive looking contestants.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Subyng posted:

So disappointed that it had to be Juri vs Ahyoung in the first deathmatch. Pretty much anyone would have been a more active participant in the games than Ahyoung, though if Juri had won we would not have gotten the hilarity of Dongmin scolding her constantly. Also Juri looked amazing in the finale and let's not pretend that we don't enjoy attractive looking contestants.
I was rooting for Juri during that deathmatch, but then she went and lost to Ahyoung at a game which pretty much ought to have been a lock for Juri, considering her profession.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Best part of that deathmatch is that I was convinced Ahyoung was a good player just biding her time for the next six or seven matches. :v:

Definitely would have liked to see Juri go farther. Ahyoung was good for laughs but Yeonjoo was ultimately a better player, and another good player in the final five could've made the last matchups much more interesting.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
More behind the scenes from the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qSn1uJX-lI

I never thought about this, but it makes sense that people would consciously say stuff just to get edited into the show

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Some quotes seemed to be edited into a a different time then said like Lawyer Kang going 'he will try to win this one' about Dongmin after he lost the first game of a best-of-three match. He's not the greatest Genius but come on.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
EH

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 23, 2014

lfield
May 10, 2008
Open question: if Yeonjoo had held it together against Dongmin and claimed victory, how do you imagine the last two episodes would have went without him?

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012

SnowWolf posted:

More behind the scenes from the finale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qSn1uJX-lI

I never thought about this, but it makes sense that people would consciously say stuff just to get edited into the show

Looks like Titty god really pissed off the producers.

Ahyoung :allears:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

SnowWolf posted:

Guess who just won a ton of money and could probably afford to raise an elephant for quite some time? :allears:
(I never get into shipping but this is too fun)

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cute n Popular posted:

Looks like Titty god really pissed off the producers.

Well, they're not wrong.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I loved how at the end when everyone else were having a good time talking Elephants, Lawyer Kang is just sitting there with a stone-face on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I loved how at the end when everyone else were having a good time talking Elephants, Lawyer Kang is just sitting there with a stone-face on.

He's quite literally to old for this poo poo. :bahgawd:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

CHiRAL posted:

(I never get into shipping but this is too fun)

Stop.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

lfield posted:

Open question: if Yeonjoo had held it together against Dongmin and claimed victory, how do you imagine the last two episodes would have went without him?

If Dongmin lost there, the final match would've been a 2-0 breeze for Hyunmin regardless of who he was up against. If we presume the deathmatch from before still had Hyunmin in it, he would've beaten either Yeonjoo or Mentality King with his strat. If not, the deathmatch may have been a little more up in the air but wouldn't have changed the final result.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It kind of feels like this season, more than the others, just didn't have many surprises. This was basically the story of the two strongest players clobbering their way to the finals fairly effortlessly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yoohyun posted some BTS photos on his twitter:

He also has a very pretty wife:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I love the cast pics, Mentality King has the best hair forever :3:

Joking, Ahyoung deserves someone that would treat her better tbh

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yoohyun seems like a dude I'd want to chill with.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Dealer Nuna :allears:

survivalstrategy
Oct 19, 2012

Let's see how many people you can kill with the power of love.

SnowWolf posted:

I always thought Mentality King was rather bland / wishy-washy during the main show (being overshadowed by Dongmin and Co's antics) but seeing the Behind the Scenes snippets revises my opinion of him a bit, since he seems rather "in charge" of clowning around during Elephant chatter. I dunno, I would've appreciated seeing more personalities coming out during the season. I think it's mostly due to the type of games they played this season. If / When S4 comes, I'm really hoping for more zombie game / food chain forced movement type thing.

Lawyer Kang is consistently Old Man Surly (Genius and Crime Scene). I'm not sure how it was in the earlier seasons but was S3 cast a bit older? I remember some of Dongmin's support coming from members who wanted to "show the power of people in their 30s / older people" etc but I swear S1-S2 cast was generally younger. I hope we can continue the trend of Interesting Older Contestants.

Also my secret wish is whenever the final season happens, Bandage Oppa takes off the bandages and reveals that it was Dealer Nuna all along. :allears:

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

survivalstrategy posted:

I always thought Mentality King was rather bland / wishy-washy during the main show (being overshadowed by Dongmin and Co's antics) but seeing the Behind the Scenes snippets revises my opinion of him a bit, since he seems rather "in charge" of clowning around during Elephant chatter. I dunno, I would've appreciated seeing more personalities coming out during the season. I think it's mostly due to the type of games they played this season. If / When S4 comes, I'm really hoping for more zombie game / food chain forced movement type thing.

Lawyer Kang is consistently Old Man Surly (Genius and Crime Scene). I'm not sure how it was in the earlier seasons but was S3 cast a bit older? I remember some of Dongmin's support coming from members who wanted to "show the power of people in their 30s / older people" etc but I swear S1-S2 cast was generally younger. I hope we can continue the trend of Interesting Older Contestants.

Also my secret wish is whenever the final season happens, Bandage Oppa takes off the bandages and reveals that it was Dealer Nuna all along. :allears:

I think season 1 was the oldest with Kim Gura and Jimmy Cha, plus Sangmin is older then most of season 3 as well.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I would love to see Hyunmin and/or Mentality King come back next season :allears:

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I can't get in to this season. Got about half way through and it is now pretty far down the list of shows I want to watch. Not sure why, just don't have a person I want to see make it in to the final like I did in other seasons.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Has there been any word on if/when Crime Scene is starting up again? I watched the first season with a buddy of mine and we always had a good time discussing who we thought was the criminal.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Crime Scene season 2 starts in March! Grabbed this from a link on Reddit, a summary of what the article says:

quote:

sorce: http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=109&aid=0002978124

this article is written in korean, but let me summerize it

1. crime scene s2 is likely to release in march

this is what CP yoon hyeon joon said.

2. in s2 3 members of s1 will remain, new 3 members will be chosen

producttion crews have been finding and asking celebrities to join CS as new members.

Jeon hyeon moo is to be main MC certainly, it is not decided yet whether park ji yoon and Hong Jin ho will get in s2 or not

3. they plan 12 episodes to be on tv and currently they made 6 stories.

I really hope Ji Yoon and Jinho return. I'd rather they return over any of the other members from last year (Excluding Hyunmoo).

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

NeuroticLich posted:

Crime Scene season 2 starts in March! Grabbed this from a link on Reddit, a summary of what the article says:

I really hope Ji Yoon and Jinho return. I'd rather they return over any of the other members from last year (Excluding Hyunmoo).

I wouldn't mind if Yoonji came back, but definitely need Jinho and Hyunmoo.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looks like Bumdidlyumptious's last episode of Abnormal Summit is episode 20. 20+ are now available here from someone else:

http://kvarietyshowmania.blogspot.com

First few episodes are pretty rough subbing wise, as they're soft subs and aren't timed well. Gets better each episode thankfully though.

Hopefully Bumdidlyumptious or someone will pick up Crime Scene when it begins again in a few months.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Teek posted:

Looks like Bumdidlyumptious's last episode of Abnormal Summit is episode 20. 20+ are now available here from someone else:

http://kvarietyshowmania.blogspot.com

First few episodes are pretty rough subbing wise, as they're soft subs and aren't timed well. Gets better each episode thankfully though.

Hopefully Bumdidlyumptious or someone will pick up Crime Scene when it begins again in a few months.

Sangmin is on episode 24 btw.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, he didn't have a whole lot to say, but it was nice to see him.

For anyone following Abnormal Summit, episodes 23 and 24 were hilarious if only for the Enes drama (accused of cheating on his wife) which unfolded around then. He was totally excised from 23 but you could still see him in wide shots. In 24 he was totally painted out Trotsky style.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Is there a reason that some non-Genius show discussion ends up in here instead of the general Korean TV thread?

I'm not trying to be a dick or backseat mod, I'm honestly curious if there's some connection that I'm missing. And I spend no time in the Korean TV thread, so maybe y'all are staying away from it for whatever reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

pokeyman posted:

Is there a reason that some non-Genius show discussion ends up in here instead of the general Korean TV thread?

I'm not trying to be a dick or backseat mod, I'm honestly curious if there's some connection that I'm missing. And I spend no time in the Korean TV thread, so maybe y'all are staying away from it for whatever reason?

Cause its the same subber who is subbing genius and abnormal for us so that's the main point of relevance. Anything else? Nah