Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

sweat poteto posted:

Had a spare potato and half a zucchini so.... latkes

Everything you make always looks so delicious!

roasted parmesan garlic acorn squash

easiest black beans and rice (used canned beans, still awesome)

butterfinger cookie sandwiches

miso kale salad with roasted tofu and walnuts (aka best kale salad ever)

And I made this veggie platter for a party. the dips are romesco, hummus, and then the easiest but best dip ever---a ranch dip packet mixed with sour cream and green onions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

sharkattack posted:

Everything you make always looks so delicious!

Oh you :3

That kale & tofu looks really good, will do that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

sharkattack posted:

That looks INSANELY delicious and thank you for always linking the recipes embedded in the photo. Also the tofu and kale salad looks bomb.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Dessert, not dinner but...

Sourdough cranberry orange rolls. It's just the KAF cranberry orange rolls recipe with the addition of half a cup of sourdough starter (because I needed to feed it and can't stand to throw any away). :saddowns: Also, used orange marmalade and dried cranberries for the filling.

My shaping sucks but they are tasty.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Made Kenji's tikka masala and it was delicious, as in motherloving restaurant quality:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

IT BURNS posted:

Made Kenji's tikka masala and it was delicious, as in motherloving restaurant quality:

I want that straight into my face.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Bad lighting, great food ;-)

Steak with the sides wrapped in cured ham, underneath baked mushrooms and a port/honey sauce,
with potato gratin and cauliflower in a pumpkin puree

And the next day we had a brussel sprout mash with potatoes, bacon and cheese, with smoked sausage...and a beer

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Pigs feet in aspic for christmas eve dinner. My aunt used to make this every year for christmas, but she passed away last year. So my mom is teaching me how to make it for the family. Fantastic stuff, I hope it sets up nicely.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hell yeah. You know that next you gotta make head cheese too.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Killed a pumpkin and had it as a soup with chicken stock, coconut milk, spanish peppers, red pepper flakes, lemongrass, ginger, onion, garlic and spring onion

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Today's lunch - beer-steamed clams topped with Panko and pepperoni (didn't have chorizo) and blanched haricot verts with lemon, butter, and toasted almonds

Being on vacation is awesome

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Everybody's gonna eat my nuts on Christmas.

Masala chai roasted walnuts, pecans, and almonds.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Ground turkey and lentil shepherd's pie, half sweet potato and half yukon gold.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Casu Marzu posted:

Everybody's gonna eat my nuts on Christmas.

Masala chai roasted walnuts, pecans, and almonds.

Wowzers, I definitely wanna swallow your nuts

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Laminator posted:

Today's lunch - beer-steamed clams topped with Panko and pepperoni (didn't have chorizo) and blanched haricot verts with lemon, butter, and toasted almonds

Being on vacation is awesome

Agreed, one of the best parts of vacation is spending the day cooking. It's so much more satisfying when you can take time to enjoy the process instead of the usual "OH gently caress IT'S 7:00 PM AND I HAVEN'T STARTED MAKING DINNER YET!"

franco
Jan 3, 2003
You

guys

kick

rear end

:love:

(and the rest of you too, but I have to cherrypick or else I'd just quote whole pages ;))

Screw you for making me so hungry when my cupboard is bare though - the perils of using things up before you go away for Christmas tomorrow :argh:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

sharkattack posted:

Awesome recipe. Now preparing for small diabetic coma.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Did a much smaller portion of the serious eats sous vide porchetta

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Christmas dinner, mostly by my mom.

And now, after a few servings, to collapse in a sofa while trying to open presents.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Haven't posted in a good long while, but I had some time on my hands for Christmas dinner (which all civilized people have on the evening of the 24th - so as to avoid lunch and the dreaded turkey).

I usually like to do something different each Christmas; two years ago it was all Thomas Keller's French Laundry, last year was more American-style(-ish) with loads of different things on the table, and this year I thought I'd do some really old-school, dinosaur-rear end French cooking.

All dishes are courtesy of the wonderful French Kitchen cookbook by Michel Roux Jr - Credit where credit's due!

Starter: Oeufs Poche Carême

Invented by the Godfather in the depths of history. Trimmed and turned artichoke heart with salmon/chive/brandy/tabasco/mustard mayonnaise, poached egg, and smoked salmon

Soup: Chestnut and Apple Soup

Pretty straightforward, a classic of Corsican cooking - quite light and refreshing due to no cream or butter. The chestnuts provide the smooth finish themselves.

Fish Course: Filets de Sole Véronique

I don't think I've ever actually seen this on a menu, but it's a true classic of French cooking. Poached dover sole (holy gently caress that was expensive) with a reduced and mounted sauce, peeled white grapes and a few veggies for colour.

Meat Course: Rack of Roe Deer Fillet, Fresh and Pureed Chanterelle Mushroom and fried Roseval Potato

Not a classic French dish, but I love love love serving game at Christmas and a friend slipped me a rack of roe deer, which I took off the bone (for easier cooking) and served with mushrooms. Because you have to. I'd urge everyone everywhere not to cook loving turkey but any kind of game.

Cheese Course

Forgot to take the picture, but consisted of:
[list]
[*] Raw Milk Brie
[*] Testun de Barolo - aged goat/cow cheese with Barolo grape pressings on the outside
[*] Buche de Pilat - soft goat's cheese, very mild
[*] Cabrales, spicy Spanish blue cheese
[*] Some very soft & strong French cheese that you need to scoop with a spoon - can't remember the name.

Dessert: Baba au Calvados

A play on the super-ancient and traditional Baba au Rum, it's roughly the same thing but you make an apple-based syrup instead. Served with chantilly cream, mashed apples and an apple glaze.

Also, I kinda whiffed how much they would expand in the oven, which is why it looks like a giant mushroom :)

Bonus for making it to the end of this post: Christmas Tree

Because real men use real candles, and not this horrid electric poo poo.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Did a much smaller portion of the serious eats sous vide porchetta

Well, how was it? how big of a belly piece did you use? i really, really need to make this.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Well, how was it? how big of a belly piece did you use? i really, really need to make this.

I followed the recipe pretty much step by step except for doing it in 30 hours rather than 36 because I started late. The pic is a ~1kg portion that I cut from a larger piece, 3kg total.

It turned out great, the skin was super crispy and all that, though I could have done a better job distributing the herb rub more evenly. Also, for some reason I was expecting most of the fat to have rendered out during cooking but that's definitely not the case.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And now, some memories of foods I made in 2014....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w6m-nhUcos

Paella:

Pepperoni & banana pepper pizza:

Al pastor wings:

This crusty-rear end bread:

*snif*

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

:drat: :eyepop:

Also, gently caress peeling grapes.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
What did (my wife) cook for Christmas:

Bacon and Leek Quiche for lunch. Friggin' delicious.

Rolled Turkey roast for dinner, cooked by me. No pictures, as it was delicious, not pretty.

My wife's five-star Pavlova for dessert. As is only good and right.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Made beef wellington for the first time this Christmas!

Holy poo poo was it awesome. I was so happy with out evenly it cooked as well! Could have used less pate for some people's tastes but that's okay :D

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Jesus gently caress.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
For Christmas I volunteered to do the cooking and humiliate a dead turkey even further

Terrible phone camera really captures red

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Decided to make dinner for my girlfriend as I'm off for several days and she had to go back to work today.

Nothing fancy but it was delicious. Roast chicken breast topped with herbed bread crumbs, and sauteéd zucchini with garlic and tarragon. I don't cook with meat much, so this was something of a rarity. Also made a fresh loaf of bread, but I've posted enough pictures of boules already.

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.

franco posted:

You

guys

kick

rear end

:love:

(and the rest of you too, but I have to cherrypick or else I'd just quote whole pages ;))

Screw you for making me so hungry when my cupboard is bare though - the perils of using things up before you go away for Christmas tomorrow :argh:

Thanks!

Round 2 of the same recipe came out just as nice, this was a last minute gift loaf.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Modernist mac with havarti and crab and pancetta, with spicy green beans. Oh my god this is one of the best things I've ever made.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Christmas dinner.

Sous vide turkey porchetta, modernist potato puree, sous vide glazed carrots, green beans with bacon and onions.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Christmas dinner

Hallacas and pan de jamón

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

How are you folks doing your green beans? They look roasted it perhaps pan fried (especially with bacon and onion in the works).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

idk how DnF did hers, but I blanched and chilled mine, fried up bacon, fried onions in bacon fat, deglazed the pan with a glug of white wine and a big knob of cold butter to emulsify, tossed the beans into heat, served.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We bageled for the first time today.

I didn't plan ahead, so I could not make poppy bagels (i.e., the best bagels) but they are really good. A little time consuming, but less so than bread, and very good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Pigs feet in aspic for christmas eve dinner. My aunt used to make this every year for christmas, but she passed away last year. So my mom is teaching me how to make it for the family. Fantastic stuff, I hope it sets up nicely.

oh man you should take a look at Fergus Henderson's trotter gear.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012399-fergus-hendersons-trotter-gear

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

nuru posted:

How are you folks doing your green beans? They look roasted it perhaps pan fried (especially with bacon and onion in the works).

I had cooked some pancetta and red bell pepper in a cast iron with red pepper until the pancetta was crispy, then I put all that into my mac and tossed the beans straight into the pan on med-high. When they started to brown I cut the heat, put in a couple TBs of water and covered, steamed a few minutes til tender. I would have steamed in white wine but I was out. It just needed a pinch of salt at the end.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
Christmas treats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

sharkattack posted:

easiest black beans and rice (used canned beans, still awesome)

And I made this veggie platter for a party. the dips are romesco, hummus, and then the easiest but best dip ever---a ranch dip packet mixed with sour cream and green onions

I think we will try every one of these.

Here is our bûche de noël

• Locked thread