Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Close This Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

It's a shame this thread had to go because some people used the report button instead of the ignore button.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This is a children's cartoon that ended with the main character basically embracing non hetero normative gay love that shocked and moved homophobes, otakus, sjw tumblerlites and so forth into discussing what it meant to them in variously spergful and worthless yet ultimately meaningful conversation on our preconceptions, biases, and seemingly overwhelming acceptance of some unexpectedly poignant media representation of a couple of superhero cartoon women.

Of course people are going to poo poo post and report spam as the dust settles, this stuff is transformative to sheltered women and gay fearing posters or cosmic validation to young upstart bisexuals around the whole Internet.

A mod threatening to cut off dozens of level headed posters from one of the only relatively sane, premium membership posting clubs cuz he was annoyed at repeat trolls giving him seconds of volunteer admin duty work of ignoring reports is honestly pathetic and makes me wonder if the admin just isn't comfortable with strong women depicted realistically on TV and is lashing out at innocent 10 bux paying Korra fans because of his prejudice.

Shame on you.

Edit: just probate or ban trolls or those who take the bait and move on please.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 23, 2014

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Guys, the original (yuri) pairing for Korra, before anything about Korra was known except for a name and a silhouette, was Korra-(moon spirit) Yue. And Yue was played by Seychelle Gabriel in the movie that shall not be named. So it all makes sense.

Breadbox
Nov 8, 2007

I support party wipes.

Look how beaten down Korra looks in that scene. So intense. So hot.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

You're gonna carry that weight.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why not just start an "Avatar Appreciation thread" in ADTRW? I mean, it really is anime after all. We're all pretty nice, chill folks there, I'm sure we'd welcome a ATLA/Korra thread! :shobon:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Why not just start an "Avatar Appreciation thread" in ADTRW? I mean, it really is anime after all. We're all pretty nice, chill folks there, I'm sure we'd welcome a ATLA/Korra thread! :shobon:

Zorak would nuke the thread within 2 pages once SHM and Irish Joe showed up.

People in TVIV have it pretty good as far as mods go. The ADTRW forum knows to toe the line and not get too weird or bans start dropping left and right, and none of the other mods care enough to reverse them.

Given the content of most of the threads, its objectively a good thing. Show threads get closed real quick when people start getting creepy, especially about "underage" female characters.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

This is the top post on the front page of Reddit right now and with good reason, it's brilliant:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

DrSunshine posted:

What kind of hard-hitting and controversial topics would a modern-setting Avatar world deal with? I mean, with LOK we clearly had a fairly political tone with the same strains that were prevalent in our own early 20th century -- anarchism and worker unrest, the rise of revanchist, nationalist politics, the collapse of monarchies and so on. It even touched on things like environmental degradation, the rise of mass media, and isolationism.

Would a modern Avatar have to deal with global climate change? Peak spirit energy? Fundamentalist extremist Water tribe spiritualists committing acts of terror?

At one point I suggested drugs and junkie benders (but that would never fly on a kids network). Another idea is traveling to the moon and how that might turn out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My favorite anecdote about Avatar is Bryan nonchalantly revealing Korra was actually named after someone's dog.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

My favorite anecdote about Avatar is Bryan nonchalantly revealing Korra was actually named after someone's dog.

Well so was Indiana Jones, so she's in good company!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Korra the Korrgi.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Creating an offsite board worked well for the Hasbro Show, though when the Hasbro Show was discussed on SA, it never really saw this kind of infighting. :shobon:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Another idea is traveling to the moon and how that might turn out.

In space, no one can feel you bend! :kheldragar:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Young Varrick with Mrs. Beaks:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The show is still cool. I would suggest those of you who haven't picked up the Platinum Korra game to do so, because it's good.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
The reason people troll this thread is because the people in it make it irresistible to troll. There's just a lot of obsessive, uptight, weirdos, for some reason.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Misandrist Wytch posted:

The reason people troll this thread is because the people in it make it irresistible to troll. There's just a lot of obsessive, uptight, weirdos, for some reason.

but my animes

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I dunno why you're all so down on the idea of a positive posting-only Korra offsite. SHM would leave and never come back.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Deadpool told me over PM that while this thread will be locked permanently on January 1st, he's totally down with a postmortem/memorial thread being made like a month later.
So yeah, I think the 10th anniversary on February 21st would be a good time.

Also Deadpool says that threadshitters (people who post poo poo that clearly isn't meant to facilitate discussion) will be probated and told to stay out.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RottenK posted:

I dunno why you're all so down on the idea of a positive posting-only Korra offsite. SHM would leave and never come back.
This is how that weird brony forum got made after all MLP talk got banned, please don't.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Covok posted:

I never watched that one because it didn't look that good. It just seemed juvenile. I suppose you disagree?

It's immensely juvenile and full of real raunchy humor but I love it for the amazing English dub and the absolutely ridiculous and hilarious animation.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I understand that a lot of shitposting from the post-Dangenronpa thumblr crowd carried onto this thread, so I'm perfectly okay with the idea of another postmortem thread down the line.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So yeah, I think the 10th anniversary on February 21st would be a good time.

Wow, 10 years since the very first episode. Looking back, it's been quite a trip.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I misread that as "postmodern" thread, instead of "postmortem", so I was thinking about long posts influenced by Derrida, Foucault and Lacan deconstructing the politics and symbolism of ATLA and LOK. :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Covok posted:

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious which ones you feel are better. Gainax shows are kind of all over the place...besides the fact they are all about growing up.

FLCL remains Gainax's best anime.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Wow, this thread can move fast when it wants to.

I started watching Korra early on in the first season as I'd heard the series was well made, and really enjoyed the first season. Second season was a bit iffy, third was better, and while in parts the fourth wasn't as good as I was hoping for, the episodes after the filler one were damned near perfect. I started reading this thread about halfway through fourth season, found a bunch of references to ATLA and decided to watch that - and I'm really sad I didn't follow it when it first came out. I'm still working my way through the start of Book 3, and it's really cool to see all the callbacks in Korra to ATLA.

I thought the final four were spot on - everything led up to this pivotal battle, and each attempt to stop the mech flowed on from the previous. There was no dues ex Avatar moment - they tried something, it didn't work, but they used what they learned from it to try again. I would have liked if there was going to be another Avatar series in the future, but given how well financially this didn't turn out for Nick I don't see that happening, and the series creators sound like they've had enough of Avatar for a while.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Genocyber posted:

FLCL remains Gainax's best anime.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't seen it should check it out. It's good, not good for an anime, just good.

It's the best coming-of-age story I've seen in a cartoon.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Smoothrich posted:

makes me wonder if the admin just isn't comfortable with strong women depicted realistically on TV and is lashing out at innocent 10 bux paying Korra fans because of his prejudice.

Shame on you.

Edit: just probate or ban trolls or those who take the bait and move on please.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I forget who it was, but someone made a lot of great posts for Last Airbender highlighting Eastern philosophy/religion/symbolism/history. Something like that would be great for Korra as those are areas I know very little about. That's the type of thing I think would be great for a postmortem thread.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Postmortem is kinda depressing. What are the odds that there will be a new cartoon?

I think 30%.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Postmortem is kinda depressing. What are the odds that there will be a new cartoon?

I think 30%.

A remake of the original will happen 20 years from now.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

TheKingofSprings posted:

Done entirely in 3D smell-o-vision.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I think 30%.

Depends on who ends up with the rights I guess. Presumably Nick has them so...

TheKingofSprings posted:

...but on the off chance that they somehow revert to the creators then maybe I suppose a Netflix series somewhat sooner might not be out of the question? Depending on how well Netflix actually does with TV shows at least.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Gaussian posted:

I forget who it was, but someone made a lot of great posts for Last Airbender highlighting Eastern philosophy/religion/symbolism/history. Something like that would be great for Korra as those are areas I know very little about. That's the type of thing I think would be great for a postmortem thread.
It was someone with a cat avatar I think, with french text underneath it. Maybe I'm misremembereing but they've posted itt before.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pretty sure it was ShadowCatboy, but I think he did more of that in the last thread than this one.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think a combination of "we want to do other stuff" and "Nick owns the rights, and kept screwing us over" means that the odds of a new Avatar are pretty low.

• Locked thread