Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The goons channel password has changed, it is posted here, read that thread every week or so for a new one.

:siren:9.10 is here:siren: This means:
Japanese heavies are available
"New" game mode "Rampage"

Lost your premium tank? Get it back! (currently down, but you can get it back through support anyway)

A special message from Senor Lowtax demon6

quote:

Goon Tonks TS address is 710146.ts3.mpgs.co and no password required at the request of the populous because using passwords is apparently hard. Due to that reason a complicated system of permissions that is making some of us pull our hair out had to be developed.. thanks goons. Any verified goon can give you permissions & tags, create your own channel and have at it. If you need us to create a specific channel please feel free to ask as well and mods will be happy to accommodate your request within reason i.e. no channel names or descriptions that promote hate speech and all that. Use common sense when you ask in other words.

What is World of Tanks?
World of Tanks is a free to play online shooter featuring tanks from the first late-WWI designs to early Cold War prototypes. Aside from Shermans, T-34s and Tigers, you will see lesser known machines, prototypes, and ridiculous poo poo that never ever should have made it out on the battlefield.

What kind of tanks are in this game?
The tanks in the game are split up between 6 nations: the Soviet Union, USA, Germany, France, Britain, China, Japan. Each nation (except China) has its tanks split into 4 tech trees: Artillery (self propelled indirect fire guns), Tank Destroyers, Medium Tanks and Heavy Tanks. China only has a Medium tree with a small Heavy branch, Japan has only a Medium branch, while older nations might have two branches for some vehicle types. New tanks are being added all the time.

I am a colossal sperg. Can I expect 100% historical accuracy?
Hell no. This game is pretty arcadey. Shot ballistics are modeled, and stuff like shell traps and ammo rack detonations are in the game, but there are also things like hit points and repairs for damaged components/dead crew members. I am a pretty big history sperg, and I still find the game very enjoyable.

As for the tanks themselves, a lot of stuff has been changed in the name of having fun. The Maus can actually move faster than 5kph, and you can hang all sorts of ridiculous guns off your tanks. 10.5cm guns on a King Tiger? Go ahead. 107mm ZiS-6 on your KV-2? Knock yourself out. Most tanks have 3-4 guns available, including the historical one.

So how does this internet tanks thing work, anyway?
Typically, battles are fought in teams of 15 randomly chosen players with tanks of similar tiers. You win the match by either blowing up all your enemies or capturing their base. Whether you win or lose, you earn credits and experience, which allow you to buy and research higher tier tanks. Your crew earns experience as well, which allows them to learn skills that improve their performance a little. Even experienced players with 10k battles under their belt will be more or less evenly matched against you if you are in similar tier tanks.
There are many server clusters: North America, Europe, Russia, China, Korea, South-East Asia, Singapore. Most goons play on the North American cluster, and a lot play in Europe. I don't think there are a lot of goons on other servers.

Somehow, I have friends, how do I alienate them completely by playing with them?
You can form a platoon with 1 or 2 other players. Platoons fight on the same team in the same 15v15 random battles, so an organized platoon has an advantage over a bunch of uncooperative pubbies. You want to platoon, because pubbies play like this:

If you get 10-12 people, you can form a tank company, where you fight against other companies. Companies get matched in limited tier brackets, and if you win you get half of your enemy's credits and experience, in addition to yours. If you have a company of players that aren't poo poo, it's a very good way to grind. Joining a clan or just hanging around the Teamspeak channel will make it easier to find people to play with you.

You can also get 7 people (5 tier 8 and 2 tier 1) and play Team Battles. Team Battles are a little more organized than companies, but the pubbies are still horrible.

There is also Historical Battles, where the rules are a lot different to try and be more realistic. These battles were not very popular and were taken out, but they are coming back at some point in the future after a massive rework.

Companies and Team Battles have been eclipsed in popularity by clan Strongholds, which are basically the same thing as Team Battles, but with less restrictions and more rewards. Even if you are not in a clan, you can fight with one in Strongholds as a mercenary.

New referral incentive

If you refer a new person or a player that stopped playing for a long period of time, you can invite them to the game. If you platoon with them, you get significant bonuses, and if they get a tier 10 tank, you get an exclusive premium tank of your very own. Make sure that you re-send the invitation if it was issued more than a week ago, as it will expire. WG support can't do anything to manually fix the recruiting system, so if you start playing without a valid invite, you get no rewards.

I am bad at video games, but I have a lot of money. How can I pay to win?
Since even Belorussians need to eat, World of Tanks has a paid currency called gold. You can use gold to buy better ammo, train your crew faster, convert experience from other tanks, buy garage slots, expand your crew barracks, or earn extra credits (this is stupid, never do this). You can also buy special tanks that are only available with gold. Most of them are awful, so try to not pay $50 for a rust bucket. Make sure to check Hellsau's list to find out which one you'd want. Also don't buy the highest tier tank right away, as a tier 8 tank that doesn't know how to play is a huge liability to their team. As a result of Wargaming's "free to win" initiative, everything available for gold that affects combat can be bought for credits.

The most popular use of gold is buying a Premium account. Premium players earn 1.5 times the experience and credits. This really helps you out and is the only way to play high tiers without going back to low tiers to grind credits.

If you don't want to pay money, you can earn gold through promotions, contests, or through being in a clan.

I am a pro tier Russian Hacker, and I don't play any game without mods. Are there mods?
Hell yes there are, and they make pubbies bawl their eyes out. XVM and J1mbo's Crosshairs are pretty much indispensable, but the full list of supported mods changes every patch. Here is the official forum thread about them. There will be a post about most popular mods below.

Unfortunately 9.0 UI changes broke a lot of mods, so your favourite anime girl tank skin may no longer work.

What is a good official news source, aside from the main website?
This game is written by Belorussians, so all the most advanced mod discussion, conspiracy theories and developer tidbits are found on the Russian forums. For you decadent capitalists following along, I periodically translate the latest whining from pubbies in a feature known as SerBfacts.

Who is SerB?
Sergei Borisovich Burkatovskiy is the lead designer of World of Tanks. He hates nazis and whining pubbies. He is the goon hero and we strive to follow his teachings.

I think that this game would be better if <Very Important Opinion>

My computer is an eMachine from 1996, can I still play?
World of Tanks supports pretty low end hardware (in theory), so you might want to try out a Low Res Mod Pack and disable a whole bunch of stuff. Rumour has it that "Ultra Low" settings are in development.

WG put a bunch of graphics effects in 8.10 that will drop your framerate, so here are the effects and how to turn them off:

Lens flare: set Lighting Quality to Medium or lower
Light rays: set Lighting Quality to Medium or lower
HDR Bloom: set Post-Render Effects to Off.
Cloud Shadows: set texture quality to Medium.
Motion blur: this one gets its own setting, so set it to off.

Clan Wars:

A clan is up to 100 people who are bad at tanks fight for land on the Global Map together. A well organized clan with good players can easily pay for its members' premium subscriptions and more. The SA forums has several clans associated with it. You really need a tier 10 tank to join a clan. Do not go joining a clan "just to play with goons", or everyone will laugh at you. However, ever since Strongholds were added, it is possible to get bonuses without holding land, such as extra credits or experience per battle.

Note: just because a clan has 100 people in it, doesn't mean it's full. A player generates a chip on the global map, whether he plays or not. Odds are that at least a handful of that 100 no longer play. A clan would be more than willing to kick an inactive player for a new active one.

NA Server:

ISLAM: Muslims for Marriage Equality. For some reason, Wargaming has a problem with the name or the description or something like that. Can't imagine why.

ISLAM lasted for about 12 hours. To replace them, we get PANSY: Heer as Volk. The most fabulous clan! :sparkles: Join this clan if you want to do Clan Wars discuss the length and girth of your gun. PANSY has their own thread in PGS about joining and battle schedules and stuff.

NDP: No Dumb Pubs. Used to be the poo poo, died, came back, died again.

PBKAC: Not a goon clan, per se, but there are a ton of goons in it. It's a pretty demanding clan, so I guess you can try to join if you think you're hot poo poo and have many tier 10s.

STUG: Baby StuG. An offshoot of SGLE that does Clan Wars is still twitching is dead.

NSFW: 2Grilles1Krupp. Used to be the go to place for goon clan wars, now defunct.

SGLE: StuG LyfE. Everyone got burned out and it collapsed.

SDP: Some Dumb Pubs. NDP's STUG equivalent, except they let in pubbies, and pubbies ruin everything. Currently defunct.

MS-W: Marder, She Wrote. An awful clan full of quitters. When you see them in game, shake your head and move on. Does not participate in Clan Wars. You can get an MS-W clan tag, if you really want to.

STATS and MTFT: Gold Shooting Stat Hoarders and Marder Time, Fun Time. Gimmick clans for trolling pubbies. These don't actually do Clan Wars.

European Server:

Click the flag for the PGS Eurogoon thread

2PAC: "Don't give a Foch". Temporarily renamed by a corrupt moderator to "Babbyland", they are out for justice. Does not do clan wars, does not require tier 10s, join if you want to play with goons. Currently recruiting
HETZ: Hetzers Gonna Hetz. Europe's first goon clan, now defunct. They obviously don't do Clan Wars.

Other servers don't have enough of a goon presence to have any goon clans.

Joining a clan:
Clans are full of weirdos that want you to apply in precisely the way they want to in order to make sure there are no spies. Odds are you should at least post in this thread saying "I want to join <clan>, my in game name is <username>".

Console peasant? Not to worry!

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I created a PS4 Community for those of us dumb enough to play this game on a console. It is called Goon Tonks.

PM me, Respond here with your PSN name, or send a PSN message to ShankyMcStabber for an invite.

Have some icons:

Other resources:
For the Record: WoT news, supertest leaks, and some history. Stopped updating, but the content remains.
Rita's Status Report: Same thing FTR used to do but with more lolcats.
Noobmeter: Track your stats, make fun of bads.
VB Addict: Ridiculous amount of stats, basically everything WoT tracks about you.
Archive Awareness: My blog about history, tanks, and tank history.

If, for some reason, you want to be reminded of this game without playing it, the official soundtrack is available here for free (unless you click the iTunes button, in which case it's not).

Test Server

The Test Server goes up a few weeks before every patch, and exists to test out new vehicles and features. Your account is copied over (you can sell vehicles and discard crews without fear, but your progress also doesn't transfer over) and given copious amounts of gold, credits, and free XP to get whatever vehicle. Aside from new tanks, this is a good chance to try out some premium vehicles you want to buy.

Until we get roaming, the test server is the only way to encounter other tankers from around the world. They will kill you, since they think this is hilarious, so keep the following phrases ready in your paste buffer:

Не стреляй! (do not shoot!)
я свой! (I'm one of you!)
я не пиндос! (I am not an American)
я разведчик! (I am a spy!)

On the other hand, if you want to get shot more, here is a list of handy phrases:

Я американский нагибатор, вы все олени (I am an American unicum, you are all scrubs)
Няш мяш Крым наш (a difficult to translate political slogan)

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Want to play with internet tanks? Follow these steps:
0. FIND A BONUS CODE. World of Tanks has bonus codes floating around that give you neat stuff like free premium, free tanks, free gold, etc. A lot of these codes are only available on new accounts. Look in this thread, someone is bound to have posted some.
1. Download the client: http://worldoftanks.com/en/update
2. While it's downloading, read this. It should familiarize you with basic game concepts.
3. Read this (the tank descriptions are somewhat out of date though) to familiarize yourself with basic tactics and terminology. If it's a lot to absorb, don't worry about it, it will all become clear very fast as you start playing. Skim the tanks for each nation to figure out what you want to be playing. If you're confused, go Soviet heavies.
4. Get on the teamspeak server (ts.goontanks.com is dead, go to the one mentioned in the PGS thread) and find someone that will platoon with you and teach you how to shoot enemies.
5. Play tanks, get money. After a day or two you should have figured out which tech tree you want to advance in. You can typically only do two at a time, otherwise you won't have enough credits to buy anything. You can also only do one, but then you'll have nothing to play while your one tank is in battle.

Talking to goons
There are 2 ways of getting in on the sweet, sweet goony action. One is the teamspeak. Connect to pbkac.ts.nfoservers.com or the new goon TS (goontanks is dead now), then sit around in the lobby. Someone is bound to give you permissions eventually (especially if you ask in the thread).

Since Teamspeak is hard, you can also use the terrible in-game means of communication and go to the channel called "goons" in game. Click on the "Channels" button in the lower left hand corner, type in "goons", double-click it, enter the password, and you're set. Note: if you want to get in on platoons or companies, Teamspeak is usually called upon first, so you'll be missing out a lot.

The password is posted in this thread, updated "weekly".

Choosing a tank:

There are a lot of tanks in the game. Unless you're polka, you won't have all of them. You will have to limit yourself to some. First, you're going to have to choose a nation.

Soviet Union :ussr: : a very forgiving tech tree. Pubbies rage about Russian Bias (tm) due to Soviet tanks not exploding immediately from their German or US guns. The heavy line is split with the fast and lightly armoured IS tanks or the slow and lumbering KV tanks. Both sides pack fairly inaccurate guns that deal tons of damage. Medium tanks are lightly gunned, but have good agility and somewhat bouncy armour at high tiers. Their TDs have very little armour, opting instead for very high camouflage values and amazing guns. NOTE: Now that the T-60->T-70->T-80 line exists, there is no longer a reason to play the A-20. The A-20 is one of the most miserable grinds in the entire game. Don't play it.

Germany :godwin: : much less forgiving than the Soviets. Both heavy lines end up with giant bricks. Their TD line follows the same principle: big tank, big gun, no camo whatsoever. The Wafentrager line is the opposite: relatively lightly armoured vehicles, but with even better guns. Medium tanks in the line that ends with the E-50M are also very big and heavy, closer to the faster Soviet heavy line, but tanks that lead to the Leopard are much closer to what you would expect from medium tanks. Note: the Maus line is horrible and painful.

America :911: : fairly forgiving to beginners as well. They have big guns and excellent gun depression and turret armour. Tank Destroyers give you the option to go with or without a turret, both ending up with some devastating guns. The medium and heavy lines end with very nimble tanks with high penetration guns.

France :france: : probably the hardest to play. Low tier heavies and light tanks are slow and awful. Higher tier mediums and heavies get revolver cannons: 4-6 shots in rapid succession, followed by a lengthy reload period. Devastating in the hands of a skilled player, but the learning curve for these is very steep for a beginner. Their tank destroyers have thick aggressively sloped front armour and pretty decent guns. Their artillery moves and fires very quickly, but with low calibers compared to other arty lines. DO NOT PLAY THIS AS YOUR FIRST TECH TREE. All French tanks are either awful, require very advanced play, or both. If you are new, play the Americans (T110E5 line) or Soviets (IS-7 line).

Britain :britain: : Medium tanks have very good gun depression, are typically very agile and fast firing, if poorly armoured. This line contains cruiser tanks, if you know anything about British tanks. The heavy line contains slow moving, well armoured behemoths, with smaller, but faster, guns than the Germans. High tier tanks have special HESH shells, which work as very high penetration HE. British tank destroyers have hilariously thick armour, and move very slowly. All British artillery except for the FV304 is bad.

China :china: : A strange tech tree. Up to tier 5, all tanks are imports or captured. After that, the heavy tree is derivatives of the Soviet IS series (fast heavies with big inaccurate guns), the medium tree is effectively Soviet mediums with massive guns. The light sub-tree has an autoloader, if that's your sort of thing.

Japan :japan: : A tech tree that's even smaller than China's. For now, all they have are light and medium tanks. Intermediate tanks are poo poo. The top of the tech tree is okay, I guess.

Grinding to a Clan Wars tank

Hellsau posted:

Grinding to a Clan Wars tank (list shamelessly stolen from generously contributed by Hellsau). Note that this list changes with nearly every patch.
The following tanks are in demand for Clan Wars: T57, AMX 50B, Batchat 25t, E-100, Object 140, Leopard 1, STB-1
The following tanks are in demand, but in lesser numbers: Object 263, T110E3, Waffentrager auf E-100, FV215b, IS-7, T-62A, Object 907, T110E5, E-50M, Object 261, M53/M55, Conqueror GC (good artillery players are extremely valuable)
The following tanks are okay: T110E4, VK7201, Object 430, 121, GW Type E
The following tanks are shameful and should never take part in Clan Wars: JpE-100, Maus, IS-4, FV4202, 113, M60, M48 Patton, FV215 183, Batchat 155, T92, Foch155, Object 268, FV4005

By lesser numbers, I mean that the tanks are either reserved for specific purposes, or you literally use fewer of them like E3s and arti. The 215b, E5, IS-7 and E50M are basically interchangeable, and the non-140 Russian mediums have different strengths.

Don't bring Mauses or IS-4s except against shitters. They are "armored" versions of the E100 and IS-7, except they are significantly easier to pen by people who aren't awful. I've crushed way too many IS-4s simply because they have horrific front armor and are slower and less sloped than the IS-7, and the Maus is solely an ignorable HP brick.

The J100 might deserve a promotion. Is the 430 irrelevant now or am I overestimating the 907's armor?

Note: this list is rapidly subject to change as new tanks are added, and old tanks are nerfed/buffed.

Events and specials:
World of Tanks has lots of special events, some tied to famous battles, some tied to seasons, and some for no reason at all. The events are announced on the World of Tanks website, and also typically someone posts them in this thread. Things that happen at these events very often include:
50% credit discounts for certain tanks (almost always tier 6 and under)
50% gold discounts for certain premium tanks (always tier 5 and under)
30% gold discounts for certain premium tanks (tier 6 and higher)
Double credit multipliers for certain tanks (again, low tier. The M4A3E8 shows up in this list a lot)
Discounts on 1 day, 3 days, and 7 days of premium
x3 experience for the first victory of the day, instead of the usual x2

Rarer, and thus much nicer specials include:
x2 or x3 crew experience for every game
x5 experience for the first victory of each day
A set of free gold consumables and a day of premium
Discount on 6 months or 1 year of premium
Change your password for free gold

Missions

Missions are like quests. You get a goal (kill 50 tanks, win 30 games, get a certain medal, drive into a lake), and a reward for it. The game helpfully keeps track of your progress. Missions can earn credits, experience bonuses, equipment, and even free tanks.

Skills

Prav made a giant effort post on which skills are useful, and you can read it here.

Aside from the Repair/Camo/Firefighting skills the game launched with, there are now a half-dozen or so skills for every crewman type. A good write-up of currently available skills can be found here. Use this spreadsheet to figure out when you will get to a next skill. Most of your crews will have two full skills and most of a third, if you play them a lot. 4 skills takes ~1500 battles to achieve, so pick your skills carefully!

If you screw up, don't worry. Unlike before, where you had to delete a skill completely to respec, you can now pay gold to reassign all your experience, pay silver to reassign 90% of your experience or pay nothing to reassign 80% of your experience. Re-skilling, just like retraining, periodically goes on sale, so you don't have to live with stupid choices for very long.

Mods

World of Tanks has a pretty poor interface at times, so mods have been developed to add lots of functionality. Here are some very popular ones, but this is by no means a full list. :siren:9.0 broke everything:siren:, you will have to wait for mod-makers to work their rear end off and bring their mod back. Most mods should be working again by now, though.

If you are lazy, download McGavin's modpack. If you get squares (and you probably will), download these fonts.

XVM: Extended Visualization Mod. Colloquially known as "pubbie radar". This mod contains Over-target Markers, a damage log, and all sorts of other cool ways to modify your interface. Most goons have this mod. It also shows statistics for players, so you can tell who is a complete moron and who you can actually count on to help you win. Recent versions of XVM split up the stats portion and the interface portion, both available here. Follow the instructions included in the zip file, this mod is a little hard to install.

J1mb0's crosshairs. Offers a lot more customization options, a reload times, and yaw indicators on tanks with limited horizontal traverse. EU Forums thread here

Hitzone skins. Show weak points on tanks, as well as crew and module locations. Pubbies go berserk when you tell them you have them. Here is a set of popular ones, but there are tons of different versions. There are tasteful white ones, too, if you don't want your tanks to look like clown cars.

Contour Mods. Replace existing tank mini-icons with more readable ones. Different versions also show tank stats, like view range, armour thickness, etc. POGS is one of the most popular sets, but, again, there are dozens of these.

Scroll mode-switch blocker. Prevents you from switching between Sniper Mode and Arcade Mode with the mouse wheel. Handy if you use the lowest zoom setting of Sniper Mode a lot. Available here.

Battle Assistant: A mod for artillery that tilts your camera to show where the shell will go. A must have if you play artillery.

:siren:PROHIBITED MODS:siren:
There's now an actual official WG list of prohibited mods! Read it here.

If you use these, don't tell anyone. This list can change at any time, so it's a good idea to never show screenshots to anyone, admit that you play this game, speak about internet tanks at all, or mention to anyone that you own a computer. Just in case.

:siren:Other things that will get your stupid rear end banned::siren:
a) being a nazi, naming yourself after a nazi, or general racism
b) admitting to account sharing
c) botting
d) wantonly executing teammates for cowardice

Hacks

We're goons, so we obviously use the best hacks there are. "Hellsau's Mods" is the best hack pack available right now, download it at the end of this post. Shanky made some changes to it, everything works with 9.0 and up.

[[YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VIEW ATTACHMENTS: wothacks.zip]]

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 23, 2014

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Russian website has a pile of historical articles on tanks and tank battles. I periodically translate them and post them in the thread. Here is a list of articles that I will update once in a while.

Previously translated:
Khalkin-Gol
VK1602 Leopard
Soviet-Japanese War (August Storm)
BT-SV
Chinese tank building
Battle of Raseiniai
Sinyavino Offensive
Battle of Prohorovka
E-50
T95
KV-1
TOG
British tank building (parts 1 and 2)
ISU-152
M3 Lee
T1 Cunningham
M7 Priest
Object 212, KV-220, KV-3
M46 Patton
KV-2
Dancing with Tigers
T-26
StuG III
Leichttraktor
Hetzer
Baryshev's raid, 1942 (daring PzIII heist)
PzII Ausf J
AMX 50 100 / AMX 50 120
Battles for Burma Road
WZ-120
Ferdinand
MS-1
BT
Maus
Tiger I
Tiger II
American tank building, part 1
Operation Bagration
Battle of Kursk
T-60
Jagdtiger
Battle of Stalingrad
PzIV
Liberation of Kharkov
Small parts of a big victory
Swinton's land battleship
Flying tanks
Airborne tanks
A tank's winged heart
Guns of two worlds
Strike from above
Type 89
Flying Elephant
Japanese tank building
Beast Slayer's Predecessor: KV-7
Japanese tank tactics
T-100-X, -Y, and -Z
Char 2C
Fall of Berlin
Super Pershing
Cromwell
IS-6
Panther's failed debut
Battle for Ponyri
Battle of Prokhorovka
SU-152
Hunting King Tigers
BDR G1B
The last tank battle of WWII
KV-220
T34
Post-war light tanks
Operation Suvorov
Operation Typhoon
Morozov's Top Ten Tanks
Oboy supertank
Tanks in the Kiev Operation
Operation Uranus
Chinese Eastern Railway
Mikhail Koshkin
Women of the Tank Forces
WZ-111
Panther with 88L/71
Archer
Cuirassiers of the British Crown
Kolchigin's all in one tank
WWI tank spies
WWI tank tactics
White Army tank tactics
Taking Iwo Jima
Operation Spring Awakening
SU-100P
Tanks in colonial wars
Uman-Botoshani Offensive
Tanks in the Spanish Civil War
T-90
K2 Black Panther
SOMUA S35
Armata
Battle of Stonne
How the Red Army learned to fight: tragic '41
How the Red Army learned to fight: victorious '45
How France lost Vietnam
IS-2 in battle
Armchair generals
Armoured trains
Merkava
What's in a name?
How Japan bought a Tiger
How tanks learned to fight: surprises and paradoxes
Japanese heavy tanks
BT-7 Artillery
Engineering Operation Overlord
Mius Front
Panther slaughter at Zhudre
Defensive medals
Evolution of city fighting
Derkach's mobile fortress
Soviet offensive in Manchuria
SIG Tank Destroyer
Operation Avalanche
Motorized sleds
Adna Chaffee
Cavalry at Smolensk
Unscheduled tank battle
Soviet heavy tank regiment
IS-2 in combat
BT tanks with rockets
Tankers in Typhoon's way
Panthers in Bretteville-l’Orgueilleuse
Death Harvester
Sherman's Combat Debut
Skoda T-40
Armoured cars of the pre-tank era
Battle for Trostyanets
The Desert Fox
Tracked Amphibians
Artillery at Stalingrad
Electric tanks
IS-8
Tanks in Berlin
The Road of Life
Universal fighting machine
Tiger-Maus and E-100
Superheavy tank destroyers
Czechoslovakian tanks
Armoured Fantasy: Land Cruisers
U-19 bunker buster
Flaming Ironclad
T1 Cunningham
SU-2-122
M2A4 light tank
Defense of Bastogne
Pz38(t) nA
43M. Toldi III
Screw drive tanks
LTTB
Object 777 and Object 752
KV-220 in development and in combat
Walking and jumping pillboxes
CruiserTank Mk.III
ST vz. 39
Post-war French tank development
Prospective American tank destroyers
Soviet turreted tank destroyers
Liberation of Novgorod
16th Tank Brigade in the liberation of Novgorod
T-150
Battle for Workers' Village #6
KV-3
Strv S and Strv 103
KV-4 and a little KV-5
AMX ELC 90
Battle for the Philippines
FV4202
FV4005 and FV215
AMX 50
AMX 50 120
M6A2E1
Valentine modifications in the USSR
ARL-44
Covenanter
Medium Tank Mk.I
M22 Locust
T2 Medium Tank
KV-7
Semi-fictional German tanks
Mauschen
StuG III Ausf. B
Battle for Binnen
10,5cm Sfl. auf Geschützpanzer Mk.VI(e)
Soviet 107 mm guns
Bandkanon 1
T49/T67 Tank Destroyer
IS-7
Cruiser Tank Mk.IV
German medium paper tank destroyers
FCM 36
AXMX 38
Tetrarch in the USSR
Object 257, the first IS-7
IS-3 Part 1: Design and Production
IS-3 Part 2: IS-3 in combat
Rheinmetall Leichttraktor
Krupp Leichttraktor
Birch Gun
Strv 74
Post war StuG service
Object 212
Light Tank M3
M3 Stuart in Soviet service
T-30
T-60
17-pdr
PzI
PzI analysis in the USSR
T-45 and other modernizations of the T-60
s.Pz.B. 41
Czechoslovakian T-34-85 tanks
ZIK-20
Object 268 and Objects 282
TACAM T-60
Landsverk L-60
38.M Toldi I
Moto-Tank MT-25
7TP
R 35
R 35 in German service
Medium Tank T1E1
T-55
Strv m/38 and m/39
Vickers Mk.E
Christie M.1931
Type 95 Ha-Go
T-70
Dicker Max
T-62
Medium Tank Mk.II
Light Tank M2
Combat Car T4

Today in History
January 9th, 1900: Grabin's birthday
February 6th, 1942: Toropetsk-Holmsk Offensive Operation
February 11th, 1940: Karelian Offensive
February 20th, 1945: Birth of the IS-3
February 25th, 1945: Pershing in Combat
February 27th, 1916: Big Willie
March 13th, 1936: Second stage of the Guadalajara operation
March 18th, 1919: FT-17 Capture
March 25th, 1945: Siegfried Line Breached
April 10th, 1944: Liberation of Odessa
April 24th, 1918: First tank battle
May 1st, 1945: Assault on the Reichstag
June 6th, 1944: Operation Overlord
June 6th, 1944: Landing in Normandy
June 10th, 1944: Wyborg Operation
June 17th, 1929: RKKA Mechanized and Armoured Forced begin
June 21st, 1931: Christie Tank trials completed
June 27th, 1931: Grotte tank trials completed
June 30th, 1915: Killen-Strait tractor trials completed
July 20th, 1915: Vezdekhod trials
July 27th, 1942: First battle of El-Alamein
July 29th, 1938: Conflict at Lake Hasan
August 20th, 1932: T-35 prototype completed
August 27th, 1915: Tsar tank trials
September 2nd, 1942: T-60 tank takes flight
September 7th, 1945: Parade in Berlin
September 15th, 1916: Battle of the Somme
November 19th, 1942: Operation Uranus
November 21st, 1943: D-25T trials
December 19th, 1939: T-34's birthday

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 24, 2016

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
As a reminder, the TS address is: 209.15.226.35:10937. Anyone can give basic tags, and if you idiots REALLY manage to gently caress poo poo up, Hellsau, demonR6 or myself can probably fix it. If we feel like it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

subhelios posted:

As a reminder, the TS address is: 209.15.226.35:10937. Anyone can give basic tags, and if you idiots REALLY manage to gently caress poo poo up, Hellsau, demonR6 or myself can probably fix it. If we feel like it.

Don't rely on me I'm the one who keeps accidentally dragging channels and trying to put them back.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Hellsau posted:

Don't rely on me I'm the one who keeps accidentally dragging channels and trying to put them back.

:sigh: I suppose doing that on accident is better than what I thought you were doing.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Page 1 snipe.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I just read through the OP and noticed that you need a tier 8 artillery for CW, even though I guess you have just been copypasting the same thing each time.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Repost from the earlier thread:

Free day of premium code: 2015WGNY (Provided by BIG HEADLINE)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Merry Christmas, goons. Let's get this thread off to a good start:

The Comet is pretty terrible.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Did they announce sales for Christmas? Due to sucking a ton of dicks winning the campaign I have enough gold now to buy a premium T8. Was thinking the FCM due to it being able to make credits.

I already got a T34, so the FCM seems like the logical choice.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tell people to get a goon to send them a referral code too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Chillyrabbit posted:

I just read through the OP and noticed that you need a tier 8 artillery for CW, even though I guess you have just been copypasting the same thing each time.

I do make changes and updates, but I missed that one. Oops.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Reposting for new thread:

:siren:Here's a link to my modpack for 9.5!:siren:

Here are the fonts it uses.

It contains:
- XVM with my own brand of lines on the minimap
- White = Maximum spotting/draw distance and traverse indicators
- Red = Artillery and low tier autoloader range
- Green = View range and camera direction
- 2 seconds protection from shooting at corpses
- J1mb0's crosshair mod
- Server-side crosshair
- 500m zoom out, 16x zoom in
- Meltymap's damage and armour thickness indicator
- Scope shadow removed
- Locastan's damage panel and session stats
- 2 row tank carousel
- My Metal Gear Solid sixth sense mod
- HP bars and Team HP
- Battle assistant

It probably also has some other stuff I've forgotten about, but nothing that can get you banned. Let me know if there are any issues.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Dalael posted:

Repost from the earlier thread:

Free day of premium code: 2015WGNY (Provided by BIG HEADLINE)

Yeah, many thanks to, BIG HEADLINE.

Was just trying to post that when the old thread closed on me.

And here's to many more posts while I trundle on in my giant German poo poo boxes in the coming year!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Also the section about gold says you can use gold to buy premium ammo, with no mention that you can also buy it for credits now.

Oh and as for the thread title, Ensign, I think a more commonly used translation of that phrase would be "Through hardships to the stars". Might get the joke across better if you used that form. :v:
I wonder what the Latin word for "stats" is...

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Mesadoram posted:

Did they announce sales for Christmas? Due to sucking a ton of dicks winning the campaign I have enough gold now to buy a premium T8. Was thinking the FCM due to it being able to make credits.

I already got a T34, so the FCM seems like the logical choice.

It can print damage pretty well, its gun is solid, but everyone knows you're a big soft barn of a target. Other than that I've really enjoyed mine. It does pretty well on money, too. Not as well as the T34 for me but still good. I would however only run it in pref platoons. It rolls really well with KV-5's and IS-6's.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bob A Feet posted:

It can print damage pretty well, its gun is solid, but everyone knows you're a big soft barn of a target. Other than that I've really enjoyed mine. It does pretty well on money, too. Not as well as the T34 for me but still good. I would however only run it in pref platoons. It rolls really well with KV-5's and IS-6's.

That's what I figured. It moves quick and it does have a nice gun. FCM will be my platoon tank :-).

Just hope they put it on sale...

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Mesadoram posted:

That's what I figured. It moves quick and it does have a nice gun. FCM will be my platoon tank :-).

Yeah its my go to for pref platoons. Its got a pretty good HP pool too so sometimes you can pull a bold "entire enemy team is red lets rush something stupid" kinda thing. Gun is a laser with decent pen. Shouldn't be a problem on most T8's, esp if you know where to aim. T9's I usually carry some gold for but its got the speed and maneuverability to reposition so you don't have to face someone's front.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I got that day of premium, and holy poo poo I remembered how much more you earn coins and stars. Holy poo poo. 2000xp stock game? :getin:

still terribad at tanks

Crash74
May 11, 2009
So warpack is a mod that lets you get arty view on normal tanks and have tracers? How is this different than mods that have been out for 2 years? Does it put back arty tracers or something?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Nordick posted:

Also the section about gold says you can use gold to buy premium ammo, with no mention that you can also buy it for credits now.

Oh and as for the thread title, Ensign, I think a more commonly used translation of that phrase would be "Through hardships to the stars". Might get the joke across better if you used that form. :v:
I wonder what the Latin word for "stats" is...

I was considering "per aspera as statsra" but it didn't sound as good.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Mesadoram posted:

It has really nice DPM at like 6.5 seconds per shot. The depression isn't half bad so you can hide the bulk of your tank pretty well and the aim time lets you pop shots out pretty well. I like mine. Plays like a combination of panther II and Pershing with 8 prem MM.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was considering "per aspera as statsra" but it didn't sound as good.

Through hardship, the stats.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
How are the new British tanks? Any keepers? I kind of want a Firefly.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Wait theres a mod that puts arty tracers back in view for tanks?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Firefly is badass and fun. Slower than poo poo though.

907 is insanely bouncy.

Worfus
Sep 24, 2007
That clan wars tank list is horribly outdated. The 50B and 215B are in demand, the 263 and IS4 in demand but lesser numbers. The foch155, 268, 121, and 183 are scrub tanks that should never be used. The 430 is ok at least and used sometimes.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

I kind of want a Firefly and I don't even play the game anymore. I don't care how good it is either, I just like having all the iconic tanks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

McGavin posted:

Through hardship, the stats.
Votíng for this. It's succinct and fitting.

The Firefly is pretty neat and worth getting imo.
The Archer seems like a pretty good TD if you can work around the gimmick. Great gun for tier 5 with great horizontal traverse, decent depression and afaik at least decent camo.
Challenger and Charioteer are both pretty fun, they're pretty fast and kinda hybrids between mediums and usual turreted TDs. Having the L7 on a mobile turreted vehicle at tier 8 is pretty sick, even if the soft stats are a bit poo poo.
The Conway doesn't have the top speed, but it's really agile for the preposterous DPM (~3k) it does.

Low tiers are nothing to write home about, and whichever branch you want to take you have a terrible tier 4 to get through (Grant or Valentine).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just found a video of a guy doing 8.7k damage in the 907:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1yOPDivAuw

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Grinding to a Clan Wars tank (list shamelessly stolen from generously contributed by Hellsau). Note that this list changes with nearly every patch.
The following tanks are in demand for Clan Wars: T57, AMX 50B, Batchat 25t, E-100, Object 140, Leopard 1, STB-1
The following tanks are in demand, but in lesser numbers: Object 263, T110E3, Waffentrager auf E-100, FV215b, IS-7, T-62A, Object 907, T110E5, E-50M, Object 261, M53/M55, Conqueror GC (good artillery players are extremely valuable)
The following tanks are okay: T110E4, VK7201, Object 430, 121, GW Type E
The following tanks are shameful and should never take part in Clan Wars: JpE-100, Maus, IS-4, FV4202, 113, M60, M48 Patton, FV215 183, Batchat 155, T92, Foch155, Object 268, FV4005

By lesser numbers, I mean that the tanks are either reserved for specific purposes, or you literally use fewer of them like E3s and arti. The 215b, E5, IS-7 and E50M are basically interchangeable, and the non-140 Russian mediums have different strengths.

Don't bring Mauses or IS-4s except against shitters. They are "armored" versions of the E100 and IS-7, except they are significantly easier to pen by people who aren't awful. I've crushed way too many IS-4s simply because they have horrific front armor and are slower and less sloped than the IS-7, and the Maus is solely an ignorable HP brick.

The J100 might deserve a promotion. Is the 430 irrelevant now or am I overestimating the 907's armor?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

How is the Achilles?

Also Ensign you may want to add a note about Battle Assistant in the Mods section of the OP, seeing as it's basically required for most arty now.

e: aw, the 268 sucks now? I guess I'll stop when I get to the 704...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rockopete posted:

How is the Achilles?

Also Ensign you may want to add a note about Battle Assistant in the Mods section of the OP, seeing as it's basically required for most arty now.

e: aw, the 268 sucks now? I guess I'll stop when I get to the 704...

There were a few posts last thread wondering if the 704 is just better than the 268, side by side. I definitely do not think the 268 belongs in clan wars outside of an insane gimmick strat.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Hmm I can consistently solo the 113 at 60% over nearly a thousand games i'll just take the 907 out for a spin.

Guess its time to go back to heavies because pubbies are too loving stupid to actually take them to the places they need to be and mediums can't hold poo poo.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Please don't take hellsau's tier lists as anything approaching the gospel truth by the way.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

There's something right about a goofy translation for a wot thread title.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

rockopete posted:

How is the Achilles?
It's... a tier 6 Wolverine with a 17-pdr. Has a slightly better engine though. I guess it's not exactly bad, just unremarkable. This is just from a few battles on the test server though, so if anyone has more experience on it, feel free to correct me.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

xthetenth posted:

There's something right about a goofy translation for a wot thread title.

I just grabbed the movie title from Rotten Tomatoes. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Wasn't there some pastebin (I think from Hellsau?) that listed all the premium tanks and which were and were not worth buying?

That should be in the OP.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)