Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

revmoo posted:

My friend's Civic has _hundreds_ of miles on my HF torque wrench.

I've put just shy of 1000 miles on the Civic and I built it entirely with Ebay parts and HF tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sbyers77 posted:

I think this was mentioned several pages back before it was released, but Lowes has now their Kobalt Direct Drive ratchet on sale. http://toolguyd.com/kobalt-direct-drive-gearless-ratchet/

Thank you so much for mentioning this, my wife bought a couple for gifts at the original price of $30. Just barely within the 30-day price guarantee window as well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 23, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

Splizwarf posted:

I will be trying to buy one tomorrow, I'll see if they have extra.

Cheers.

I never got your email, either. Gonna get me dimensions for your missing pads? I thought I sent off your foot- but I found the letter sitting under a stack of poo poo on the desk that I no longer use. :doh:

..any luck with the Nook? Let me know!

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 23, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sbyers77 posted:

I think this was mentioned several pages back before it was released, but Lowes has now their Kobalt Direct Drive ratchet on sale. http://toolguyd.com/kobalt-direct-drive-gearless-ratchet/

It's awesome and its on sale right now for $9.98 marked down from $30. When I was playing with it in the store I was a little unimpressed because the "try me" plastic bit had quite a bit of play and couldn't tell if it was from the plastic or tool. But once I got it out of the packaging and played with it further it worked as well as advertised. Smallest arc I could manage will increment the ratchet.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_607976-22029-86777_0__?productId=50283595 (With bonus palm ratchet, if in stock)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_607975-22029-86773_0__?productId=50283593

:fry: I'll be out and about tomorrow. Looks like I may have to swing by a Lowes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah my 3/8 ratchet collection has suffered casualties lately, gonna go pick up one of those direct drive ones today I think.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
From that same page there's this 300-piece set which looks clearance down to just over $100:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...ollow&cId=PDIO1

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

looks like a decent set too. A lot of the "300 piece" sets they put on clearance here ends up being like 30 sockets and 250 screwdriver bits.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
A review of that kit says that you get two sets of allen wrenches in SAE and two sets in metric. That's a lot of allens. You probably also get a buttload of shallow sockets :mad:

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

A review of that kit says that you get two sets of allen wrenches in SAE and two sets in metric. That's a lot of allens. You probably also get a buttload of shallow sockets :mad:

Still better than the bullshit "multifit" sockets that strip everything. Totally going to my local lowes today for that 3/8ths direct drive handle, tossing the bs sockets in the garbage on the way out.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

ExtremeODD posted:

Still better than the bullshit "multifit" sockets that strip everything. Totally going to my local lowes today for that 3/8ths direct drive handle, tossing the bs sockets in the garbage on the way out.
How do they strip everything when they're advertised to work on partially stripped heads?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They strip them to a state they're compatible with :haw:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Do you believe all advertisements? Because man, have I ever got some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you. Universal fits-everything sockets are great for low torque stuff but if it's high torque, partially stripped, and/or rusted in place, you are gonna make your life way worse if you try it on something.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Shallow sockets are generally more use (unless working with a stud of some sort :quagmire:) and allen bits round off like a motherfucker, so I don't see a problem with this as long as you realize it going in.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

I don't believe all advertisements, but I had not used any spline sockets before and so wasn't personally aware of how good or bad they are

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just grabbed that direct drive set from Lowe's and the bottom half of that DeWalt tool chest from Home Depot. I'll grab the top half after Christmas since they both wouldn't fit in my car.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 24, 2019

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Extra posted:

Do safety goggles that will fit around glasses and not fog up horribly exist?

No, but prescription safety goggles exist!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Extra posted:

Neat I totally can't afford those. Sanding and wire wheeling loving sucks when the goggles fog up every 10 seconds.

You can't afford Twenty American Dollars?

I've been buying glasses from Zenni for almost a decade now, they're legit.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Extra posted:

Neat I totally can't afford those. Sanding and wire wheeling loving sucks when the goggles fog up every 10 seconds.

You could try one of the clear face shields?
Never used one myself as I can still see enough close up without my glasses but they look like they should do the job

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, clear face shields work if you have to wear glasses, and though I do have presciption safeties, I prefer the face shield because it, well, shields your face.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Shampoo posted:

Neat! I was idly wondering if I could get a cheap set online. I have a cheapo set that fits over my glasses, but the two layers of lenses royally messes with my eyes and it feels like my eyes are constantly struggling to focus when wearing them. I rarely need them, so spending a lot for a nice pair wouldn't be worth it.

These are the kind I have. Someone handed them to me the first time I went into a factory like ten years ago and that's all I've ever used.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/3M-Indoor-Clear-Frame-Eyeglass-Protector-47031-WZ6/205137840/

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, clear face shields work if you have to wear glasses, and though I do have presciption safeties, I prefer the face shield because it, well, shields your face.

They do protect most of your face. unless you grow a long beard. then hot metal from a cutting wheel lands in the perfect crook of your beards and starts a face fire....gently caress HF cutoff wheels.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Uthor posted:

Neat! I was idly wondering if I could get a cheap set online. I have a cheapo set that fits over my glasses, but the two layers of lenses royally messes with my eyes and it feels like my eyes are constantly struggling to focus when wearing them. I rarely need them, so spending a lot for a nice pair wouldn't be worth it.

These are the kind I have. Someone handed them to me the first time I went into a factory like ten years ago and that's all I've ever used.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/3M-Indoor-Clear-Frame-Eyeglass-Protector-47031-WZ6/205137840/

I bought a pair from rxsafety dot com and they aren't too bad. They ran me around $75 but you can get cheaper ones there. There's a goon in SA-Mart that does glasses, I'm not sure if he does safety ones though, you might go check his thread.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

iForge posted:

I bought a pair from rxsafety dot com and they aren't too bad. They ran me around $75 but you can get cheaper ones there. There's a goon in SA-Mart that does glasses, I'm not sure if he does safety ones though, you might go check his thread.

I'll check stuff out after my winter break. I haven't been on a factory floor in like three or four years and I've only gone a handful of times in the last decade. I work in an office helping other companies with design work, so there just isn't any opportunity. If the $20 Zenni ones are actually protective, then they should be good enough for the occasional work trip or when I need to hit something that isn't designed to be hit. They'll match steel toe boots that I wear like once a year.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

This is my main ratchet and I love it right next to my kobalt 3/8 drive ratchet. Remove the two screws on the back plate and put some blue loctite on them, otherwise they will eventually back out and spill the ratchet's guts all over the floor.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Kotaru posted:

This is my main ratchet and I love it right next to my kobalt 3/8 drive ratchet. Remove the two screws on the back plate and put some blue loctite on them, otherwise they will eventually back out and spill the ratchet's guts all over the floor.

I have the 'green handle' version of this same one. I abuse the hell out of it whenever possible. Time to go goop it up. :ohdear:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any reason not to buy a 30 gallon air compressor that makes 5.9 cfm at 90psi. I can even do a an orbital sander but not a jitter bug. I figure the impact guns are not full sustained usage if they use 6.0cfm.

I do plan on getting an 80 gallon down the road but right now my space and electrical service is limited so 120v will have to do.

Edit: I figure I can buy a bigger machine and either sell this one for a decent price or just keep it. Its just not going to happen for 3 years for a bigger machine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iForge posted:

Yeah I've got a set of rxsafety goggles - it's the only way I actually wear goggles. Only problem I've had is that in AZ, it's too easy to overwhelm the bit of foam that's supposed to keep your face dry of sweat :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any reason not to buy a 30 gallon air compressor that makes 5.9 cfm at 90psi. I can even do a an orbital sander but not a jitter bug. I figure the impact guns are not full sustained usage if they use 6.0cfm.

I do plan on getting an 80 gallon down the road but right now my space and electrical service is limited so 120v will have to do.

Edit: I figure I can buy a bigger machine and either sell this one for a decent price or just keep it. Its just not going to happen for 3 years for a bigger machine.

It can be frustrating when doing a lot of sustained high-CFM work (like sanding) but it's completely usable for impact guns, air ratchets, die grinders, etc.

I've been living with a Craftsman of about the same capacity for a couple of years now. When I have a lot of sanding to do I hook up a dead harbor freight 30-40 gal (I forget exactly - it's the tiny 240v upright one which lasted long enough to sand and paint one car before it poo poo the bed) for extra storage capacity.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Shampoo posted:

Those aren't prescription goggles, they're goggles with prescription glasses mounted it them. Is there a good cheap straight goggles option? I'd just want one lens.

SomethingOrAnother
Nov 23, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Don't know if you bought anything yet, but I'm pretty sure this is the kit that I have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-201-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/21930758. I've beaten the poo poo out of drat near everything in that box (minus the screwdriver bits) and haven't managed to break anything yet. It's a hell of a starter.

I did end up getting the kit. It went on sale and I jumped on it. Got it yesterday and the quality seems very nice. I like the color coded sockets for metric and SAE. My cousin is looking for a set as well, I will send him that link!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The motor on my mini quad copter broke and I'm going to try and fix it as practice. The thing is I need to desolder the old motor wires off a board that is about the size of a quarter.

A friend recommended I get a desoldering iron, but those seem to go for around $20 and the quad itself cost me $30, so it seems silly to spend so much to fix it.

I was perusing Amazon and saw "solder suckers" and desoldering wicks for under $5. That's much more reasonable for the use I'm going to get.

Any recommendation on what I actually want to buy and use?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

It's usually cleaner and easier to use the wick and a small tipped iron than a huge tipped desoldering iron.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
For through-hole stuff, solder suckers are awesome. For surface mount stuff, wick really shines.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Good point. Hot air workstations work wonders for SMD. :v:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Viggen posted:

I have the 'green handle' version of this same one. I abuse the hell out of it whenever possible. Time to go goop it up. :ohdear:

Same here. It's the poo poo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm pretty sure it's surface mount. Wick it is! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Tools are not something I count against the cost of a project, unless it s a super specialized part.

But I also try to rationalize buying tools.