Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Thanks man! & yep that happened to me where you take a good few minutes typing up your thoughts on a film and everything and somebody posts right as you're typing. Kinda funny since sometimes this thread goes days without a single post.

& your Starship Troopers marathoning has me tempted to add the Fast & Furious films as a slot on my list... I hear some of the recent ones are decent but part of me doesn't want to just jump in. (I'm aware I'm talking about missing continuity in the film about car racing and stealing aimed at teenage boys...)

& yep, original Assault on Precinct 13, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Quickscope420dad, I think you should see what your grandpa thought was so Christmasy about The African Queen.

Mahlerov Cocktail gave me A Fistful of Dollars, which I watched, then kept going because why not. I had a longer write-up initially, but then lost it due to Firefox fuckery, but I'll do my best.

A Fistful of Dollars: Fantastic opening sequence! Some fantastic cinematography, like the cloud of dust dissipating and the Man with No Name appearing. Really well done. Apparently Leone would dub in voices after the filming - this is a bit distracting in all the films more or less, though the films are good enough that you stop paying that much attention at some point.

For a Few Dollars More: Lee Van Cleef shows up to audition for "Badass: The Movie." So many great sequences in this movie - the hat scene (with Mortimer and The Man shooting each others hats to introduce themselves), the music watch's chimes overlapping with Morricone's score, so much great stuff.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The longest and biggest of the films. While the film takes place during the Civil War (indeed it's a prequel to the other two films), the latter half of the film could almost be considered as an anti-war statement: the prison camps, the futility of the charge, and Tuco's run through the cemetary. I think that half of the film makes this one the strongest of the three, but it's a hard choice.

1. Singin' in the Rain - because I've never been one for musicals.

2. The General - never seen Buster Keaton

3. To Kill A Mockingbird - I read the book :colbert:

4. All About Eve - Um, not sure I've seen a Bette Davis movie either

5. The Best Years of Our Lives - I've heard good things about it, just never had anyone say "yeah monster it's really good go see it."

6. Infernal Affairs - Stars Tony Leung who is one of my favorite actors and I would literally watch him do anything. Infernal Affairs seems to have a stellar rep (and was the influence for The Departed as I recall, and I do love me the Departed.) HK cinema I like in general though my favorite director is Wong Kar-Wai.

7. Bottle Rocket - I love Wes Anderson. I've loved all of his films (except Rushmore, which I will give another chance someday.) I had a discussion with the SO about who our favorite directors were, and Wes was up there with the Coens and Scorsese.

8. Bonnie and Clyde - 42 on the AFI list. It's supposed to be a classic, I've only seen a few Warren Beatty films, a few more of Faye Dunaway.

9. Midnight Cowboy - I haven't seen many Dustin Hoffman movies. The Graduate of course, not much else, this is supposed to be one of his stronger works.

NEW 10. The Aviator - There are a few of Scorsese's films that I haven't seen, this is the most recent one.

Unshamed: City Lights, Some Like It Hot, Annie Hall, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dollars Trilogy

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
^I also love Wes Anderson though I never watched Bottle Rocket (I know it was a short at first then they made a full movie with it) go watch it and tell me how it was

quote:

RollingBoBo, welcome to the thread! I'm a big Kurosawa fan, and if you've never seen one then there's plenty of great films awaiting you. Yojimbo is my pick for you and it's a good choice for a first Kurosawa too. (you say you've never worked up the courage, don't know if that's just a phrase you went with, but Kurosawa films are very easy to watch, there's no barrier to get over and get used to before you can start enjoying his films, so I hope you enjoy and I look forward to reading your thoughts on Yojimbo)

yeah I had some kind of weird mental hangup (maybe because of the language barrier?) but after watching Yojimbo it's all cleared out and cinema proves itself to be an universal communication tool . English isn't my first language and I've never written movie reviews before so I'll keep them short and sweet:

I really enjoyed the movie! Beautiful shots (I love the way he portrays discussions) and a plot that sucks you right in. There are a lot of details and they all matter to make the story unfold, there is a lot of foreshadowing as well. The emotions on the characters' faces are always very vivid (some of them are pulling crazy faces) and the cast is very solid, giving the whole thing authenticity, charm and life. A

The list:

1. Gesualdo: Death for Five Voices - just watched Little Dieter Needs to Fly and The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner . I want more Herzog

2. Lolita - need to see this and Spartacus to complete the Kubrick filmography.

3. La Dolce Vita - Fellini makes very special movies and I want to watch them all

4. The Baby of Mâcon - thorougly enjoyed The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Her Lover and I hope this one is just as good

5. To Catch a Thief - watched a few Hitchcocks, i'm down to watch a few more

6. Chinese Roulette - that Fassbinder guy sounds interesting, never watched a single movie by him

7. À bout de souffle - french new wave is probably a thing I should get into

8. The Ladykillers - one of the last Coen brothers movies I haven't seen

9. Rashomon - Official Kurosawa Spot

10. Touch of Evil - heard lots of crazy stories about Orson Welles, he seems like a fascinating character

No Shame Zone
Yojimbo

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm going to pick Lady Killers for you in the hopes that it may encourage someone to help me finish my quest to complete the Coens!

Gojira was fantastic. I can't imagine my take on it is at all original but it was incredibly evocative and impressive on all fronts. I really enjoyed the most recent Godzilla, but it really couldn't be more different than the original. There's something very poignant about Godzilla himself being portrayed by an actual man in a suit. We did this to ourselves. The film felt an awful lot like Japan's thesis of discontent. It was angry. This was a film with an agenda and it really hammers its message home. I was thinking that this film was coasting along to 10 out of 10 region, but that bit in the ending basically setting up for sequels "this will happen again" kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyhow, it's no mistake that this film set up an amazing franchise. I'm definitely going to be checking out more of them.

9.5/10

1. The Blues Brothers - Interested, not much else to say though.

2. The Purple Rose of Cairo - More Woodie!

3. Notorious - More Hitchcock!

4. Poolhouse Junkies - Looks like fun.

5. The Last Starfighter - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

6. Rebel Without A Cause - I know that Fry from Futurama is based off of Dean's character (or at least his look). I also know it's classic and even though I'm over 90 movies in the shame seems endless.

7. Sherlock Jr. - Keaton has yet to disappoint me. The General actually brought me to tears. More please.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9.*NEW* Beasts Of The Southern Wild *NEW* - All I know is that the kid is supposed to be great.

10. Ashes and Diamonds - There was some kind of list of famous director's favorite movies. A lot of directors I liked listed this and I had never heard of it. Let's go!

94 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10, Gojira 9.5/10

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Monster on a Stick gave me African Queen on account of how I said it was my granddad's favourite christmas movie.

I have no idea why, really. I didn't know him, though - maybe it would have made more sense if I did. It's a silly but generally jolly adventure film, with interesting lil bits of cinematics for its time (underwater shots, swarms of mosquitoes etc). Katharine Hepburn and Bogey work well together and their characters are well defined. The film continuously tries to create a sense of peril but really it never succeeds because it's obviously so feelgood and happy. I guess it rightly counts as a classic and I couldn't say it's overrated.

My list:

1. The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin) - on the list of classics that should be watched

2. I Origins - a 2014 film with what looks like the potential for an awesome premise

3. Das Boot - saw some of it as a kid. This is long and subtitled and will take some effort to watch, I think.

Apollo 18 - yeah that's not a typo. I thought it was when someone asked me if i'd seen it. Apollo 18.

BoBo's inspired me to join the Kubrick completionist club so:

5. Day of the Fight - Documentary work doesn't strike me as something that's gunna show Kubrick's power, and it's his first film. However, it is one of his few where he's credited as
director, producer AND writer (and more), which I think is what I love most about Kubrick (same criteria as 2001, which is my film-to-end-all-films favourite)
I just realised this is only 16 minutes long so I'm going to just watch it straight up.

6. Fear and Desire - I know the premise and the ending, and although i really, really like both, knowing the ending has put me off watching it so far

7. The Seafarers - I don't know anything about it. This is only 30 minutes long, so i'll watch this after Day of the Fight, and add brief reviews of both to my next post after someone picks something else from the list for me to watch.

8. Killer's Kiss - again, I know nothing about it.

9. The Killing - once more, I know nothing about it.

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 23, 2014

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Pick one for me yo!

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Chili posted:

Pick one for me yo!

doh, i forgot - was gunna say The Blues Brothers!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Quickscope420dad posted:

Monster on a Stick gave me African Queen on account of how I said it was my granddad's favourite christmas movie.

I have no idea why, really. I didn't know him, though - maybe it would have made more sense if I did. It's a silly but generally jolly adventure film, with interesting lil bits of cinematics for its time (underwater shots, swarms of mosquitoes etc). Katharine Hepburn and Bogey work well together and their characters are well defined. The film continuously tries to create a sense of peril but really it never succeeds because it's obviously so feelgood and happy. I guess it rightly counts as a classic and I couldn't say it's overrated.

Honestly I'm not sure why it was his favorite Christmas movie either. Maybe he watched it on Christmas sometime and associated it with pleasant memories. The only scene I really remember is the whole leech segment which I found a bit scary as a kid. There's a crapload of Bogart movies I'd consider better (Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, even Dark Passage. Oh and The Caine Mutiny if you cut out all the romance subplot crap, he's got one of his most iconic scenes in that with his rant about using geometric logic to find out who made a duplicate key and stole the strawberry from his ship while clacking those steel balls in his hand. Whheeeeeee)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

RollingBoBo posted:

I watched so many great movies thanks to this thread, I think it's time for me to get in on the action! I just watched La Strada and enjoyed it so you get to watch it too.

Heck yeah, thanks man. Gonna get my Italian on.

e: monster on a stick, glad you enjoyed the Leone films so much! Their ending sequences are all masterclasses in raising tension.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Quickscope420dad, it's been a long time since I saw Das Boot, but I remember it making a strong impression. I'd like to hear how it holds up.

RollingBoBo asked me to watch Bottle Rocket and let me know how it was. I enjoyed it! It's kind of interesting watching Wes Anderson's first full length movie, and you can see some of his trademark style with certain camerawork and dialogue (the movie was co-written with Owen Wilson, who also stars.) It's basically a Wes Anderson caper movie. Also it has Kumar in it :buddy: who made every movie better; R.I.P. :smith: I'm glad I watched it (and I think I've seen all of Wes' full length movies now!) Thanks for the suggestion, and I'd recommend seeing it - it's not his best movie (certainly no Grand Budapest Hotel) but it's got that - charm? Magic stuff that he puts into his movies?

Updated list:

3. To Kill A Mockingbird - I read the book :colbert:

4. All About Eve - Um, not sure I've seen a Bette Davis movie either

5. The Best Years of Our Lives - I've heard good things about it, just never had anyone say "yeah monster it's really good go see it." (Actually this has been corrected, someone told me it was one of the first movies to tackle what happens to returning veterans and is really good and I should see it.)

6. Infernal Affairs - Stars Tony Leung who is one of my favorite actors and I would literally watch him do anything. Infernal Affairs seems to have a stellar rep (and was the influence for The Departed as I recall, and I do love me the Departed.) HK cinema I like in general though my favorite director is Wong Kar-Wai.

7. Bonnie and Clyde - 42 on the AFI list. It's supposed to be a classic, I've only seen a few Warren Beatty films, a few more of Faye Dunaway.

8. Midnight Cowboy - I haven't seen many Dustin Hoffman movies. The Graduate of course, not much else, this is supposed to be one of his stronger works.

9. The Aviator - There are a few of Scorsese's films that I haven't seen, this is the most recent one.

NEW 10. The French Connection - This is supposed to be a classic, but I've never gotten around to seeing it. Picker has the right to give me the sequel to watch as well, which was directed by John Frankenheimer so it cannot be bad.

Unshamed: City Lights, Some Like It Hot, Annie Hall, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dollars Trilogy, Bottle Rocket

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

7. Bonnie and Clyde - 42 on the AFI list. It's supposed to be a classic, I've only seen a few Warren Beatty films, a few more of Faye Dunaway.

Try this one next.

This thread has been moving fast.

The New World - Where I've found Malick to succeed is in the whimsicality of his films. However, it didn't work here because I was already aware of the popular myths surrounding this four-hundred year-old story. Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line and even The Tree of Life all had surprises.
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a contemplative pastoral poem but I didn't connect with the muttering narration at all either.

History can be a tricky subject to bring to the screen. It does capture the disorder and chaos that probably occurred in the early years of Jamestown. A lot of backstabbing and mob rule.

I suppose I didn't understand the actions of Smith either. The biggest surprise was reading that Q'orianka Kilcher was only 14-15 years old in her Pocahontas portrayal.

PS Lots of abrupt cuts.

Procrastination (157 completed):

#155 The Heart Desires AKA Dil Chahta Hai - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. There must be an echo in here. 10/1/14

#156 Land Tax AKA Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - The Wrath of (Aamir) Khan continues on the IMDb top 250. 10/13/14

#157 Scream 2 - The first one was a surprise. 10/21/14

#159 Blood Diamond - This (like so many others) is something I remember hearing a lot about at release and then not much at all soon after. 11/20/14

#161 Sweet Smell of Success - Seems to have acclaim. 11/20/14

#162 The Hangover - 470,619 votes on IMDb and I haven't seen it. 11/29/14

#164 Hachi: A Dog's Tale - A dog film that's been lurking around the IMDb 250. 12/13/14

#165 Black Cat, White Cat - A cat film that's been lurking around the IMDb 250. 12/13/14

James Bond versus Godzilla:

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (98/100 completed):

new #58 Fantasia - I know I saw some of this when I was younger but I don't remember if I saw it all. 12/22/14

#90 The Jazz Singer (1927) - I knew a guy who saw this when it was released. He died a couple years back. 11/22/14

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Zogo posted:

new #58 Fantasia - I know I saw some of this when I was younger but I don't remember if I saw it all. 12/22/14

which one? There are a bunch. I think there are two disney ones, one being a remake of the old classic (the remake stinks), and then there's the neverending story-like one which has nothing to do with the disney one at all

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Quickscope420dad posted:

which one? There are a bunch. I think there are two disney ones, one being a remake of the old classic (the remake stinks), and then there's the neverending story-like one which has nothing to do with the disney one at all

The 1940 version.

I just ran across this countdown of all 100:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UYlX1-mj4s

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Quickscope420dad posted:

Nah it's not a remake, IIRC it was supposed to be a running series where different classical pieces got put to animation but there are only the two films. I love both :shobon:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Go with The Hangover, and then never watch the rest of them. It really does stand alone as a pretty solid comedy.

You know, for awhile I wasn’t sure if Blues Brothers was too smart or too stupid. But somewhere around the 10th horrible sight gag, I think I decided on the latter. I may be chastised for this but I think Tenacious D does their thing a lot better than The Blues Brother does the same type of thing. My understanding is that this premise started as a successful SNL sketch and I totally believe that, you can certainly pull apart a solid 4 minutes out of this concept. But if you’re gonna go and demand that these characters carry a full 2 hours and 15 minutes (that runtime was totally out of control by the way) you really need to give the characters some dimension apart from being deadpan. The music was good, but for the most part, all of the songs are not versions I’d prefer listening to over the originals.

All in all, I just wasn’t impressed by this. It wasn’t funny, I didn’t laugh, and I really couldn’t give less of a poo poo about anything going on in this. What’s a shame is that I can’t think of a comedy that started off with a stronger 10 minutes. Jake’s exit from the prison was shot beautifully and the scene with “The Penguin” had me thinking that this was going to be some trippy rear end magical realistic journey…

Oh well, it just felt really stupid.

5/10

1. *NEW* First Blood *NEW* - Yup, never seen any of them old Rambo flix.

2. The Purple Rose of Cairo - More Woodie!

3. Notorious - More Hitchcock!

4. Poolhouse Junkies - Looks like fun.

5. The Last Starfighter - I know nothing about this other than the bits that were referenced in Plinkett's Episode 1-3 reviews. It looks cool though!

6. Rebel Without A Cause - I know that Fry from Futurama is based off of Dean's character (or at least his look). I also know it's classic and even though I'm over 90 movies in the shame seems endless.

7. Sherlock Jr. - Keaton has yet to disappoint me. The General actually brought me to tears. More please.

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there!

9. Beasts Of The Southern Wild - All I know is that the kid is supposed to be great.

10. Ashes and Diamonds - There was some kind of list of famous director's favorite movies. A lot of directors I liked listed this and I had never heard of it. Let's go!

95 Total De-Shamed!

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9.5/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8.5/10, Blade Runner 7.5/10,Crimes and Misdemeanors 9/10, Vertigo 7/10, Being There 7.5/10, Psycho 10/10, Apocalypse Now 7.5/10, Citizen Kane 8.5/10, Dr. Strangelove 7/10, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 8.5/10, The Bicycle Thief 7/10, Raging Bull 8/10, Ikiru 10/10, Terminator 2: Judgement Day 7/10, The Night of the Hunter 8.5/10 How to Train Your Dragon 6.5/10, There Will Be Blood 8/10, Manhattan 7/10, Rashomon 8.5/10, Unforgiven 8.5/10 The Third Man 9.5/10, Requiem For A Dream 4/10, Charade 5.5/10, Sunset Blvd. 8/10 , Badlands 6.5/10, Dead Man 8.5/10, On The Waterfront 9/10, Mad Max 6/10, Singin' In The Rain 9.5/10, Sleeper 7.5/10, Enter The Dragon 6.5/10, The Hustler 8/10 , The Town 9/10, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 5.5/10, Boogie Nights 7.5/10, Hanna 8.5/10, The Conversation 7.5/10, Serpico 8/10, Hoop Dreams 9/10, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind 8/10, Blood Simple 7.5/10, Roman Holiday 8.5/10, Miller's Crossing 8/10, M 7.5/10, Moonrise Kingdom 6.5/10, Rope 7/10, Tiny Furniture 1/10, On The Town 5.5/10, Gosford Park 5.5/10, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, 8.5/10, City Lights 8.5/10, The Exorcist 6.5/10, California Split 7/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 8/10, Following 8/10, The General 10/10, Barton Fink 8.5/10, Tombstone 8/10, The Hudsucker Proxy 9/10, Love Actually 6.5, La Dolce Vita 7/10, Chop Shop 9.5/10, Duck Soup 6/10, When Harry Met Sally 8/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Kelly's Heroes 8/10, The Thing 8.5/10, Lost In Translation 9.5/10, Anchorman 6.5/10, Mulholland Dr. 8.5/10, Rebecca9/10, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans 7/10, Steamboat Bill Jr. 9/10, Double Indemnity 9/10, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 6.5/10, The Man Who Wasn't There 8.10, Synecdoche, NY 10/10 , Leaving Las Vegas 9/10, The Hidden Fortress 8.5/10, Magnificent Seven 8/10, Dear Zachary -/10, The Fly 9/10, Time Bandits 6/10, Before Sunrise 6.5, The Buddy Holly Story 7/10, Pleasantville 7/10, The Rules of the Game 6/10, Senna 7.5/10, Kiki's Delivery Service 8/10, Gojira 9.5/10, The Blues Brothers 5/10

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Blues Brothers is one of those films where I just don't really understand the appeal, it's like someone made a comedy and forgot to make it funny.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I don't find Blues Brothers very funny but I still like it for some reason.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Blues Brothers is one of those films where I just don't really understand the appeal, it's like someone made a comedy and forgot to make it funny.

Yeah. Go ahead and say what I was trying to say, but better and in only one sentence.

rear end in a top hat.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Chili, it's time for you to watch Notorious. Hitchcock, Grant, and Bergman, hard to go wrong.

Zogo gave me Bonnie and Clyde and while the film started strong, it just started to drag. I get that the film was probably significant for the time - the very first scene has Faye Dunaway going to the window nude (covered up with the window frame of course), and there's a lot of violence (mostly the gunfight sequences.) That doesn't make it a film that has held up over the nearly 50 years since it was made. Maybe that is the problem - it relied a bit too much on being shocking. Nowadays some of it almost comes across as comic ("MAH EYES!!!") Another bit that was just strange was this sequence where the gang kidnaps Gene Wilder (who was trying to get his stolen car back); it's supposed to be funny, I think, but it comes across as really awkward and uncomfortable to watch. The real Bonnie and Clyde were a relic of their time - once the FBI was formed, cops had radios, and their strategy of skirting state borders no longer worked, that was the end. Maybe the film is also a relic of its time. By the time the famous ending comes, it's a relief because the movie is over. 4/10

EDIT :frogsiren: I watched a few other movies on my list, reviews here. Not sure if I should add them to my Unshamed list or not since nobody picked them.

EDIT x2: Also watched The French Connection, holy poo poo what a great movie, very much ahead of its time. 8.5/10. Also To Catch a Thief which is kind of an accessible Hitchcock because of the greater emphasis on the love story, maybe 7/10.

Updated list:

3. The Best Years of Our Lives - I've heard good things about it, just never had anyone say "yeah monster it's really good go see it." (Actually this has been corrected, someone told me it was one of the first movies to tackle what happens to returning veterans and is really good and I should see it.)

4. Infernal Affairs - Stars Tony Leung who is one of my favorite actors and I would literally watch him do anything. Infernal Affairs seems to have a stellar rep (and was the influence for The Departed as I recall, and I do love me the Departed.) HK cinema I like in general though my favorite director is Wong Kar-Wai.

5. Midnight Cowboy - I haven't seen many Dustin Hoffman movies. The Graduate of course, not much else, this is supposed to be one of his stronger works.

6. The Aviator - There are a few of Scorsese's films that I haven't seen, this is the most recent one.

NEW 7. The Duellists Ridley Scott's first film. Another director I am working my way through (though Kingdom of Heaven :froggonk:)

NEW 8. Ben Hur STOP JUDGING ME

NEW 9. Kill Bill Trying to knock out Tarantino's movies.

NEW 10: Once Upon a Time in the West I am a horrible human being. :smith:

Unshamed: City Lights, Some Like It Hot, Annie Hall, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dollars Trilogy, Bottle Rocket, Bonnie and Clyde
Personally unshamed: To Kill a Mockingbird, All About Eve, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The French Connection, To Catch a Thief

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 27, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't find Blues Brothers very funny but I still like it for some reason.

oh god yeah I should've prefaced the choice by saying that it's not really to be watched for laughs, it's just a wacky adventure with cool music and world-record breaking car chase scenes

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
btw guys I kinda accidentally watched my entire remaining list since my last post, all except the great dictator so I dunno what to do now and am kinda reluctant to do one megapost reviewing 9 films at once

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Quickscope420dad posted:

btw guys I kinda accidentally watched my entire remaining list since my last post, all except the great dictator so I dunno what to do now and am kinda reluctant to do one megapost reviewing 9 films at once

Go for twitter style, 140 characters or less on each.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Quickscope420dad posted:

oh god yeah I should've prefaced the choice by saying that it's not really to be watched for laughs, it's just a wacky adventure with cool music and world-record breaking car chase scenes

Also LOCUSTS! It wasn't my fault I swear to GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
monster on a stick, you've been waiting a few days, watch Infernal Affairs. Interested to see what you think of it, on its own and with reference to your love of the Departed (since I'm guessing it's basically impossible to ignore the one you've seen first when watching the other, was for me anyway, having seen Infernal Affairs first)

Quickscope420dad gave me the original 1976 version of Assault on Precinct 13.

It was solid and enjoyable and as it is a John Carpenter film, it was largely what I was expecting. It sets itself up kinda slowly but no scene drags and it always holds your interest as to what's happening. The plot is that of (as the title suggests) an assault on a police station. The actual reasons for this attack are actually not what I was quite expecting and rather more interesting than the assumption that I had in my head going into the film. My assumption was that a gang was attacking the police station to release/rescue a gang member (though this might be the plot of the more recent remake, which I have no interest in watching...) rather than the gang after a man seeking refuge in the police station having killed a gang member in revenge for said gang member's actions.

Special note to say that the music in the film, composed by Carpenter himself, is fantastic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTKj5nXvgw

I enjoyed this and it's no surprise that it's remained a notable film, I've got to watch more of John Carpenter's films...

List of Shame:

1 - A Prophet - Heard almost nothing but good things about this, and prison films are usually interesting.

2 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

3 - Haywire - Another apparently solid action flick, Soderbergh is usually realiable and entertaining in genre mode.

4 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

5 - 13 Assassins - Takashi Miike's acclaimed samurai epic is one that I've not caught yet, must make amends.

6 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

7 - What Richard Did - Only film by the brilliant Lenny Abrahamson that I haven't seen yet. [Irish Film Slot]

8 - It's a Wonderful Life - Allegedly. I'll tell you if it actually is when this gets picked.

9 - Blackfish - Very interested in the subject matter, I need to start watching more documentaries too. [Documentary Slot]

10- Stand by Me - new - I've heard the song but have not seen the film. Repeatedly told I should see this by people.

Shame No More: [31] [top three] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Chewy Bitems posted:

Special note to say that the music in the film, composed by Carpenter himself, is fantastic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTKj5nXvgw

I didn't care for Assault on Precinct 13 overall, but I like the score, and it's my favorite thing about the movie. Of special note is the disco remix of the main theme. I don't know if I like it more or less than the original, it's just fun to know it exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZJa0HkgXcY

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The remake of Assault on Precinct 13 features an assault by a corrupt police force on their own headquarters in order to silence an officer who has developed a conscience.

Say what you will about the quality of the movie as a whole, but I get a Die Hard 2 feeling whenever I watch it. In a good way.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I tried to get some of the biggest ones i havent seen:

gone with the wind
Ikuru
7th seal
Bicycle Thieves
Tokyo story
400 Blows
Schindler's List

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Welcome to the thread Slaapaav, could you please pick a film from my list for me?

Nice starting list too.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Haywire. I actually watched it a week ago

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Slaapaav, you get 2001: A Space Odyssey. And to quote the advice given when chosen for me in this thread a few weeks ago:

Quickscope420dad posted:

I wanna take the opportunity to throw this in here too, for someone yet to see it: don't go into it for the scifi. It's praised as an incredible scifi film. But the scifi is really just a prop; all Kubrick's adaptations use their source material as a prop for something else. Maybe go in with just one question, and assume that Kubrick has answered it by the end of the film: What is The Monolith? HAL is cool and all but don't get distracted, there really is something much bigger and intricate going on in this film than just cool stuff in space.

Finally found time out of my vacation The Shawshank Redemption, which was an captivating and often brutal portrayal of a corupt prision system and the mental dangers of institutionalization. Not a moment of the 2+ hour runtime feels wasted or dragged out, even given the lengthy span of time in which the film takes place. The dynamic between Andy and Red was great needless to say, particularly the outside perspective Red manages to provide on the more introverted parts of Andy's story. All of the villainous roles were particularly well-performed as well, all coming across as genuinely and utterly despicable, each in their own unique ways. Don't have time to say much else at the moment, but it was just an excellent film all-around.

My List:

1. 21 Jump Street - Didn't get around to seeing it when it came out, but love Lord and Miller's work on both Clone High and The Lego Movie.

2. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

3. Back to the Future 2 - Thought I added this after watching the first film for the thread for some reason, but apparently I didn't, so I'm adding it now.

4. Fight Club - Often see this regarded as Fincher's magnum opus. The only thing I know going in is the first rule about Fight Club, which I'm not at liberty to talk about.

5. Jackie Brown - The only Tarantino movie I have left to see aside from Death Proof. I know that it's a crime drama that pays heavy tribute to 1970's blaxploitation films (a genre that I admittedly have just about zero personal experience with), and basically nothing else.

6. The Godfather - I feel like I should already be pretty familiar with this movie through sheer cultural osmosis, but I honestly don't know a whole lot going in aside from the horse head scene.

7. Full Metal Jacket - More Kubrick. I know some of iconic scenes of the first half at boot camp and basically nothing else.

8. Pink Floyd - The Wall - I like Pink Floyd and I like surreal imagery, so I can only imagine this should be right up my alley.

9. Princess Mononoke - More Miyazaki, and from what I understand one of his more mature films. One of my friends added this to her top favourite movies after watching it a while back, but I don't actually know a whole lot about it myself.

10. The Lord of the Rings - Even by the standards of this thread, there's pretty much no excuse for me to have not seen these already. Watched Fellowship with a few friends a couple of years ago but never followed up on the other two. Figured I'd get the whole trilogy out of the way given their collective importance and how intertwined they all are in regards to both story and production.

Deshamed (31): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Zombieland, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Shawshank Redemption

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Trash Boat, I'm reluctant to give you another Miyazaki since you just did a couple, so I'm gonna pick Fight Club. (I look forward to reading your non existant review [/crappy obligatory can't talk about Fight Club joke])

Earlier today, Slaapaav gave me Haywire.

Which was alright. A fairly by-the-numbers action film about a supersoldier/secret agent type on the run. It's not particularly original other than that the fact the lead is a woman, played by Gina Carano who is fine though her character really doesn't have much personality. The action scenes are fine, with it mostly being hand to hand combat (which makes sense and is well done, given Carano's MMA background) which leads to the film being rather low key in a way that adds to it, no unnecessary huge car chases or explosions. A decent though rather unremarkable film.

A section of the film takes place in Dublin and being a Dublin resident, a couple of notes:

The taxi that picks them up from Heuston Train Station turns onto Dame Street, which is the wrong way to get to the Shelbourne Hotel, though whether that's inaccurate filmmaking or a taxi driver getting a few extra Euros from some out-of-towners I can't say...

Carano's walk/escape from the Shelbourne takes a correct real life route, which is nice. Except when she's on the rooftops and somehow teleports across the River Liffey...

Also, I've been in that newsagents shop loads of times and I'm pretty sure they don't sell phones. Though maybe they did when the film was made...

List of Shame: (& I'm bumping my top three to a top five)

1 - A Prophet - Heard almost nothing but good things about this, and prison films are usually interesting.

2 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

3 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

4 - 13 Assassins - Takashi Miike's acclaimed samurai epic is one that I've not caught yet, must make amends.

5 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

6 - What Richard Did - Only film by the brilliant Lenny Abrahamson that I haven't seen yet. [Irish Film Slot]

7 - It's a Wonderful Life - Allegedly. I'll tell you if it actually is when this gets picked.

8 - Blackfish - Very interested in the subject matter, I need to start watching more documentaries too. [Documentary Slot]

9 - Stand by Me - I've heard the song but have not seen the film. Repeatedly told I should see this by people.

10- Escape From New York - new - Decided that I should see more Carpenter films, I must've seen this when i was young but can't remember it.

Shame No More: [32] [top five] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Chewy Bitems, one of my future shameful entries will be Escape From New York, let me know how it is.

Chewy also gave me Infernal Affairs and it was terrific - The Departed was obviously a remake of IA, with some differences (love triangle, a different ending, some other stuff) and many more similarities. It's a bit hard to compare the two movies otherwise; Scorsese is one of my favorite directors (and really I think The Departed win was an apology by the Academy for not giving him Best Director for Raging Bull, Goodfellas, or even Gangs of New York.) At the same time, Tony Leung Chiu-Wai is a fantastic actor (watch In the Mood For Love if you don't believe me.) So which one is my favorite? I'm not sure, I think I'd have to watch The Departed again to make a call, but both are excellent.

I haven't watched the sequels yet.

Updated list:

3. The Best Years of Our Lives - I've heard good things about it, just never had anyone say "yeah monster it's really good go see it." (Actually this has been corrected, someone told me it was one of the first movies to tackle what happens to returning veterans and is really good and I should see it.)

4. Midnight Cowboy - I haven't seen many Dustin Hoffman movies. The Graduate of course, not much else, this is supposed to be one of his stronger works.

5. The Aviator - There are a few of Scorsese's films that I haven't seen, this is the most recent one.

6. The Duellists Ridley Scott's first film. Another director I am working my way through (though Kingdom of Heaven :froggonk:)

7. Ben Hur STOP JUDGING ME

8. Kill Bill Trying to knock out Tarantino's movies.

9: Once Upon a Time in the West I am a horrible human being. :smith:

NEW 10: The Seven Samurai. I've only watched a few Kurosawa films (Dreams, Throne of Blood), would like to see more, and this is supposed to be one of his (if not the) best.

Unshamed: City Lights, Some Like It Hot, Annie Hall, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dollars Trilogy, Bottle Rocket, Bonnie and Clyde, Infernal Affairs
Personally unshamed: To Kill a Mockingbird, All About Eve, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The French Connection, To Catch a Thief

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
monster on a stick you get to watch The Aviator because i really liked watching that movie and there is some briliant stuff in there if i remember correctly.

So I just got done watching 2001 not even 5 minutes ago and it was pretty great, insane how they made all those effects shots in the sixties. It also blew me away how much of the visual designs of the space tech has been almost outright stolen from this movie and used almost without adaption in like hundreds of different pop culture bits. What i really didnt like was the very grating sound effects that were used way to often to the point that I had to adjust the volume in those scenes. My favorite part is the part where whatever his name is traveling to the moon while you just get all kinds of crazy space age designs just thrown in your face machinegun style for what feels like an hour, I dont understand how they could make a movie like this where everything looks to be in the tiny details that nobody would notice. Not the biggest fan of the acid sequence that just lets you know this is a movie from that era.

Overall this is a pretty amazing experience and watching it on a huge screen when it came out must have been absolutely mindblowing! It felt like many of the shots were a bit wasted watching it on a laptop screen, it obviously detracts a lot from the movie but I can still appreciate it for what it is.

gonna add ben hur to my list because thats also a big western visual spectacle type movie ive heard

ben hur
gone with the wind
Ikuru
7th seal
Bicycle Thieves
Tokyo story
400 Blows
Schindler's List

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Slaapaav, I will pick The Seventh Seal for you. It is a stunning movie.

Just saw Kiki's Delivery Service and I was very impressed by it. Kiki was a delightful character and very easy to root for. The animation is gorgeous, like most Studio Ghibli productions, and the storyline is very good. Sometimes having a movie without an antagonist for the hero to fight is very refreshing. So far, I haven't been disappointed with any Studio Ghibli movie.

My List:
The Graduate - Only things I know about this movie is Mrs Robinson is seducing someone and Plastics.

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

True Grit - The original version. Been a while since a western was on my list.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

Grave of the Fireflies - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli

Ran - Heard this is one of Kurosawa'a best, so I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is one of my grandmothers favorite movies. I haven't seen it yet.

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

The 39 Steps - More Hitchcock here.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dmitri Russkie posted:

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

This has been on your list for a long time.

The Hangover - It almost makes more sense to categorize this as a mystery that happens to have a lot of comedic gags. This one showcases Las Vegas and feels like an ad at times. It could also be considered a modern take on Bachelor Party (1984).

Rather than showing much of the action and cavorting we mainly follow the characters retracing their disastrous steps trying to figure out how everything got screwed up.

Zach Galifianakis stuck out as the oddball wacko knucklehead (insert other pejoratives here).

Here's some Déjà vu moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfUU1wJKXDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Tz5M_gM9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSFxlfuf9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIQbTJRKDpc

Also watched:

Blood Diamond - Kind of a dreary one and it shares some similarities with Lord of War. Diamonds are a popular and valuable commodity so naturally people are going to be killing each other, chopping arms off, razing and pillaging villages to get them, right? If all that doesn't work you can always brainwash the youth in your area to be child soldiers.

There's a three-way struggle between Danny Archer (Leonardo DiCaprio), Solomon Vandy (Djimon Hounsou) and Maddy Bowen (Jennifer Connelly). Danny wants diamonds and $$$, Solomon wants his stolen child back and his family reunited and Maddy wants a news scoop. I guess two out of three wishes isn't bad.

Side notes:

-These diamond miners live a nightmarish existence.

-The RUF (Revolutionary United Front) villains have a passing resemblance to the more recent and familiar Boko Haram.

-The whole situation in Sierra Leone is portrayed as a big mess.

Fantasia - I'd be more inclined to go out and watch cartoons if the big companies were releasing things like this today. At times the animation veers into psychedelia and abstraction and it's hypnotizing. Other times we get cool visuals involving Zeus, Isis, Chernabog and Tyrannosaurus rex.

Scream 2 - The grim reaper is back and this one opens with a segment full of teenagers watching a movie called "Stab." Most of them are acting like idiots and morons. Wes Craven is kind of ridiculing his base here.

I remember Scream pulling off a surprising twist so I was curious to see if I'd be fooled again. This time around I can't say I was shocked.

Like the first time around the characters are hypersensitive to the rules of horror films and movie references. I suppose I found some of the characters to be a little too affected at times.

Procrastination (160 completed):

#155 The Heart Desires AKA Dil Chahta Hai - Aamir Khan is popular on the IMDb top 250. There must be an echo in here. 10/1/14

#156 Land Tax AKA Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - The Wrath of (Aamir) Khan continues on the IMDb top 250. 10/13/14

#161 Sweet Smell of Success - Seems to have acclaim. 11/20/14

#164 Hachi: A Dog's Tale - A dog film that's been lurking around the IMDb 250. 12/13/14

#165 Black Cat, White Cat - A cat film that's been lurking around the IMDb 250. 12/13/14

new #166 Diary of the Dead - I've watched this series in the oddest order over the years. I saw Dawn of the Dead (1978) first and then Land of the Dead (2005) then Night of the Living Dead (1968) and finally Day of the Dead (1985). 1/5/15

new #167 Kingpin - A bowling comedy. 1/5/15

new #168 Brief Encounter - I've seen Lean's "big three" films but nothing else. 1/5/15

new #169 The Double Life of Veronique - I should watch another Kieslowski film. 1/5/15

James Bond versus Godzilla:

AFI's 100 Years...100 Movies (99/100 completed):

#90 The Jazz Singer (1927) - I knew a guy who saw this when it was released. He died a couple years back. 11/22/14

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Zogo, it's a movie that will appearing on my list someday, so I'd like to hear what you have to say about The Jazz Singer.

Slaapaav assigned me The Aviator and what a terrific movie. There's a lot to say about it - the flight sequences (that H-1 sequence! but then that XF-11 sequence! "Take her back to 200." "NO. drat. WAY."), the masterful cinematography, Leonardo DiCaprio's performance, Scorsese's direction, Howard Shore's score, Cate Blanchett's work as Katherine Hepburn, the color - it's a three hour movie that when it ends you say "wait that was only 90 minutes, wasn't it?" What Scorsese can do with film...

Updated list:

4. Midnight Cowboy - I haven't seen many Dustin Hoffman movies. The Graduate of course, not much else, this is supposed to be one of his stronger works.

5. The Duellists Ridley Scott's first film. Another director I am working my way through (though Kingdom of Heaven :froggonk:)

6. Ben Hur STOP JUDGING ME

7. Kill Bill Trying to knock out Tarantino's movies.

8: Once Upon a Time in the West I am a horrible human being. :smith:

9: The Seven Samurai. I've only watched a few Kurosawa films (Dreams, Throne of Blood, Ran), would like to see more, and this is supposed to be one of his (if not the) best.

10. Kundun Another Scorsese I haven't watched. Someday I'll get to the musical, but that day is not this day!

Unshamed: City Lights, Some Like It Hot, Annie Hall, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dollars Trilogy, Bottle Rocket, Bonnie and Clyde, Infernal Affairs, The Aviator

RollingBoBo
Aug 25, 2008

living that high life
^^Once Upon a Time in the West for you my friend, it's just great

I just watched The Ladykillers. Definitely not the best Coen movie but still a fun little one. I just read the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test and also saw the movie they made with the footage (Magic Trip) and I don't know why they modeled the explosives guy after Ken Kesey but it was a nice touch that I really enjoyed. I disliked the bad CGI and the product placement, also thought the ending was kinda weak. The characters are all stereotypes but they overplay that aspect so much that it's obviously a satire so you can't really hate on them for that. C+

The list:

1. Gesualdo: Death for Five Voices - just watched Little Dieter Needs to Fly and The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner . I want more Herzog

2. Lolita - need to see this and Spartacus to complete the Kubrick filmography.

3. La Dolce Vita - Fellini makes very special movies and I want to watch them all

4. The Baby of Mâcon - thorougly enjoyed The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, Her Lover and I hope this one is just as good

5. To Catch a Thief - watched a few Hitchcocks, i'm down to watch a few more

6. Chinese Roulette - that Fassbinder guy sounds interesting, never watched a single movie by him

7. À bout de souffle - french new wave is probably a thing I should get into

8. The Naked Man - continuing my Coen list

9. Rashomon - Official Kurosawa Spot

10. Touch of Evil - heard lots of crazy stories about Orson Welles, he seems like a fascinating character

No Shame Zone
Yojimbo, The Ladykillers

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Hi thread! My new year's resolution is to watch more movies, and I'm going to have you all help me. I've also got a bunch of Criterion blu-rays backlogged from the last B&N sale and Christmas, and I figured this would be a good way to start knocking them out.

F for Fake - I've heard nothing but good things, plus this Orson Wells guy makes pretty decent movies from what I've seen in the past.

Eraserhead - I've actually seen chunks of this years ago, but I've never sat down and watched it start to finish. Big Lynch fan.

Throne of Blood - Kurosawa is always great, and a samurai Macbeth adaptation sounds pretty intriguing.

Fanny and Alexander - Don't know much about this one, pretty much a blind buy. I know there's a miniseries version and a theatrical version, any opinions on which to watch first?

Picnic at Hanging Rock - Another one I don't know much about, but the summary on the back sounds interesting. It includes a copy of the book, should I read or watch first?

Paris, Texas - I've heard real good things about this one, and Harry Dean Stanton is always great.

Youth of the Beast - Picked this up at a garage sale for $3.

I'll add some non-Criterion stuff once I start getting these checked off.

Edit: RollingBoBo, go with Rashoman

Toebone fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 9, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I have ikuru on my list and im gonna just make it a kurosawa spot, i have seen a bunch of them but hes a director where you can probably watch everything he made without wasting your time. Toebone your posted reminded me that i havent seen throne of blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
also what is the deal with the movie THE SEARCHERS ?? I have seen it multiple times and its on many top 10 greatest ever lists and it kinda sucks imho I just dont get how that movie is one of the greatest ever the visuals are like above average in certain scenes so is it just this film that people have read a library worth of books about how it was made and that somehow makes it great??