Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

meanieface posted:

I'm wanting the SQL 2012 stuff, there's no 2014 tests out yet. Plan is to spend a bit each morning working on it before people come in with their hair on fire; if I try to do this at home on my own time, it's never going to happen. Kids + unpaid OT.

There wont be a SQL 2014 MCSA test, but there WILL be 2014 MSCE questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

meanieface posted:

I'm wanting the SQL 2012 stuff, there's no 2014 tests out yet. Plan is to spend a bit each morning working on it before people come in with their hair on fire; if I try to do this at home on my own time, it's never going to happen. Kids + unpaid OT.

OOOOH I am so going to use that phrase, she will LOVE it. I love my boss lady. Thanks goon!

The 2012 tests got updated in-place with 2014 content. For now, that's going to continue which is why the cert only lasts 3 years -- can't say "I'm an MCSESQL 2000" 14 years later anymore. Until they change it again that is.
As for the content, be prepared to learn a metric ton of details around SSIS packages for the third MCSA exam and a decent bit of the formal language syntax for all of them, even for the content that you work with all day to cover the corner cases you don't happen to run into in your environment. IMO, you should be carving out that bit of morning learning all the time even when you're not expressly studying for something specific so that you're keeping abreast of what's out there instead of cramming at crunch time after the biz need appears. Good businesses like proactive people, and that's a decent buzzword to throw in the mix unless you're under a really rough time+money crunch across the business.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So, I just got my first help desk/sysadmin job a few months ago. I am really enjoying it and doing my best to do a good job at it. I'm having a problem I've found vexing, though.

A few days ago, one of our clients calls and says his computer is running really slowly. We provide remote support to various companies, so, I VNC onto his computer. About 100% of the CPU and most of the memory, shown in task manager, are used by a process called wmiprvse.exe. Last night, I found a fix which involved restarting the services connected with it, it seemed like the problem was solved. He used the computer last night and was happy with it. I come in this morning and he calls, and apparently it is doing the same thing again, except now the processes taking up most of the CPU and memory are dllhost.exe *32 (several instances of this one), regsvr32.exe, dpnsvr.exe, and fxmapi.exe. I'm not sure what's going on now. I've tried running some virus/malware scans with no luck. Researching the specific processes hasn't turnedup much. I feel that I am rather at a loss at the moment. Could anyone point me in the right direction possibly?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

high six posted:

So, I just got my first help desk/sysadmin job a few months ago. I am really enjoying it and doing my best to do a good job at it. I'm having a problem I've found vexing, though.

A few days ago, one of our clients calls and says his computer is running really slowly. We provide remote support to various companies, so, I VNC onto his computer. About 100% of the CPU and most of the memory, shown in task manager, are used by a process called wmiprvse.exe. Last night, I found a fix which involved restarting the services connected with it, it seemed like the problem was solved. He used the computer last night and was happy with it. I come in this morning and he calls, and apparently it is doing the same thing again, except now the processes taking up most of the CPU and memory are dllhost.exe *32 (several instances of this one), regsvr32.exe, dpnsvr.exe, and fxmapi.exe. I'm not sure what's going on now. I've tried running some virus/malware scans with no luck. Researching the specific processes hasn't turnedup much. I feel that I am rather at a loss at the moment. Could anyone point me in the right direction possibly?

Have you tried combofix?

http://www.combofix.org/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
you can also fire up Process Explorer to see exactly what the runaway ones are doing. They'll probably be making a bunch of TCP/UDP connections to random IPs if it's malware.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Seconding Combofix, that's a good one. I used to almost always use Malwarebytes but times have changed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Seconding Combofix, that's a good one. I used to almost always use Malwarebytes but times have changed.

I use both.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

high six posted:

Building on what others have said, what do you see in Event Viewer? Event viewer's a cool tool you can navigate to (Start -> Right click Computer, click "manage" -> It's on the left) which catalogues any errors the operating system detects. For program/process related problems, check the Application section. Filter that for Critical, Error and Warning in the past 30 days and see what comes up.

I do agree with I-666 though. It's most likely a virus - I had a very similar problem today. Explorer.exe using 3GB of RAM for some reason. Checked ResMon (built into Windows, resmon.exe) and it showed it was hitting servers in China.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
UPS came by the house earlier today with a package for me. There was a label saying it required a signature because it contained alcohol, and I was concerned that I'd mistakenly had a bottle of wine sent here instead of to my parents' house.

What should I find inside, but what appears to be a superb bottle of Scotch from my boss, with a note thanking me for my hard work? Even I have trouble justifying hitting the sauce this early, but I will certainly give a trip report later tonight!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My boss took a swig of the whiskey I bought him at work. It as a p. baller move.

Booze gift giving is the best.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
:yotj: - 25% raise and way less stress. Happy Holidays to me! Thanks to everyone who posts in this thread, been invaluable to me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TeMpLaR posted:

:yotj: - 25% raise and way less stress. Happy Holidays to me! Thanks to everyone who posts in this thread, been invaluable to me.

Haha, I read that as "negative 25% raise" for a second.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I explained how xbmc works to my father in law today. Well, I basically said it was magic but he seemed impressed. Yesterday he used aol search on our laptop. Am I qualified to work in it now?

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I explained how xbmc works to my father in law today. Well, I basically said it was magic but he seemed impressed. Yesterday he used aol search on our laptop. Am I qualified to work in it now?

depends, what is your opinion on malt liquor?

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Yeah, it appears to have been several rootkits causing it. I got rid of them and it seems to have fixed it. Hurray!

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

high six posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Yeah, it appears to have been several rootkits causing it. I got rid of them and it seems to have fixed it. Hurray!

Rootkits can be pretty drat persistent, unfortunately. Don't be surprised if it happens again.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
On the subject of xbmc, I'm currently using it for remote streaming on my android tablet. It can't play MP4 files for poo poo. Is there anything I can do to change this?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

What should I find inside, but what appears to be a superb bottle of Scotch from my boss, with a note thanking me for my hard work? Even I have trouble justifying hitting the sauce this early, but I will certainly give a trip report later tonight!

A++ would drink again. :angel:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

stubblyhead posted:

A++ would drink again. :angel:

What was it?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

I believe it was scotch

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I believe it was scotch

Yes, specifically Laphroaig 25 Cask Strength. Perfectly sublime.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:drat: I really like the run-of-the-mill Laphroig, super peaty and delicious. That must have been out of this world. If I am googleing correctly that is worth north of $400 a bottle. Jealous! I love a good scotch but am too cheap to buy anything nicer than, say, a low-end Glenlivet often.

Best I got this year was a 6-pack of Breckenridge Holidale from our VAR. And some hilarious (but quite tasty) Verizon-branded chocolate lol.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

stubblyhead posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

You lucky bastard.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

That is very good whisky, sounds like your boss likes you pretty well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

stubblyhead posted:

This. A thousand times this. Although the quarter cask is amazing as well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I guess I am pretty awesome. :c00l:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Potentially dumb question: Is Server 2012 worth learning? It literally just looks like Windows 8 with more options to me....

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Docjowles posted:

And some hilarious (but quite tasty) Verizon-branded chocolate lol.

A few years ago when I was contracting for Comcast they gave out chocolate bars with wrappers that said something like "Thanks for helping us beat our goals by $2 Billion this quarter!"

Biggest slap in the face ever. It may as well have said "Yes, we made a lot of extra money, but your bonus is just going to be this lovely chocolate bar."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Race Realists posted:

Potentially dumb question: Is Server 2012 worth learning? It literally just looks like Windows 8 with more options to me....

It is, but one of those options is "Add Roles and Features" which includes things like Active Directory, File Services, IIS, etc."

Those are a big deal.

Also, server 2012 is built around the minimal install. Done right, Server 2012 should actually feel like DOS (Powershell actually) with more options.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Race Realists posted:

You just described every version of Windows Server vs non-Server.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It is, but one of those options is "Add Roles and Features" which includes things like Active Directory, File Services, IIS, etc."

Those are a big deal.

Also, server 2012 is built around the minimal install. Done right, Server 2012 should actually feel like DOS (Powershell actually) with more options.

am I more likely to find it running in today's workplaces, or Server 2008?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Just learn it, it's useful and you'll look like a tool in 5 years if you've still only got MCSA: Server 2008 (or whatever) on your resume.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Race Realists posted:

am I more likely to find it running in today's workplaces, or Server 2008?

In today's workplaces you will probably find a lot of 2008R2.
2008R2 is kind of like Windows 7 plus server features.

A good shop will be making an effort to deploy all new servers in 2012R2. If you can do 2012R2, you'll have few issues with 2008, menus will be a little different and some powershell commandlets won't work.

Personally, I've only bought books and studied 2012R2.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Race Realists posted:

You'd be learning Windows Server which is an enormous and highly complex product and implanted in nearly everyone small to enormous corporation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Just learn it, it's useful and you'll look like a tool in 5 years if you've still only got MCSA: Server 2008 (or whatever) on your resume.

Plus, the actual tools are pretty much the same. The big difference is how you get to them, but if you can't figure out the UI differences between Windows 7 and 8, you have bigger problems.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
ed: not applicable

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Today's pretty quiet at work, so I've got time to tackle things I've been wanting to do for a while. First on the list: report on who's got what kind of access to everything on the file server, which I imagine is way more open than it should be. Any suggestions on how to do this so that the output is readable by non-IT folk? I basically want to go to the manager of each department so they can review without loosing their minds in the process.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Alfajor posted:

Today's pretty quiet at work, so I've got time to tackle things I've been wanting to do for a while. First on the list: report on who's got what kind of access to everything on the file server, which I imagine is way more open than it should be. Any suggestions on how to do this so that the output is readable by non-IT folk? I basically want to go to the manager of each department so they can review without loosing their minds in the process.

Take whatever output you actually have and turn it into an excel doc with headers and filters.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A good shop will be making an effort to deploy all new servers in 2012R2.

YAY I RUN A GOOD SHOP :neckbeard:

Yes, learn 2012 R2. For as much as they changed the frontend and people are terrified of change, they really did some mighty deeds on the backend services.

Notable improvements that I deployed right out of the gate as soon as I upgraded:

DHCP policies, filters, dynamic failover
File Services deduplication

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Docjowles posted:

Best I got this year was a 6-pack of Breckenridge Holidale from our VAR. And some hilarious (but quite tasty) Verizon-branded chocolate lol.

I'm pretty sure we got the same Verizon chocolates. Did it come in a massive container with like 60 of them and little plastic covers around the individual chocolates?