Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Anyone read any interesting articles on the coding of roguelikes?

My buddy linked me this article detailing the process behind building randomized floors with connecting rooms. It's a pretty neat read!

http://journal.stuffwithstuff.com/2014/12/21/rooms-and-mazes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I don't want to be an Angband apologist or anything, but that's kind of it's thing. With the relatively trivial food and light clocks, it lets you decide how fast you want to go. Want to level up on levels 1-5 for 100 hours? Go to town. Want to dive straight to level 40 where almost everything can kill you? As long as you can detect dangers you can do that too.

I do think the monster memory metagame doesn't play out as it should. That is the one thing that carries over between characters (make sure you load your dead character to start the next one)- you'll know about any monsters your ancestors have faced. However, mid-game you do start getting into some risks of insta-death, so for a new player it can be a little frustrating to be able to handle baby dragons and the early game orcs and then keep hitting up against these new monsters. I agree with the comment to turn on full monster memory, but as it's currently configured this labels the char with the cheat flag. This also removes the carry-over between characters.

The current dev effort is entirely in updating the code base (e.g. separating game logic from UI). That's likely going to be done in a few months, after which the devs will be looking at gameplay changes again.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

madjackmcmad posted:

Not a roguelike, but we're a similar audience: are any of you rocking Rimworld right now? I dig DF but I'm hesitant to jump on this game. My body says yes, but my brain causes me to feel judgmental. Tell me you love it and it's the second best game since Dungeonmans.

It is pretty fun! Definitely jump in, the Dev works really well and keeps a changelog that he updates daily so you can what is being worked on patch to patch.

The simulation is fun, with stuff like diseases , having raider attack and lodge a bullet into the brain of a colonist causing him to be good for slowly sweeping your base, or harvesting organs and turning people to meat and their skin to hats.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Geokinesis posted:

It is pretty fun! Definitely jump in, the Dev works really well and keeps a changelog that he updates daily so you can what is being worked on patch to patch.

The simulation is fun, with stuff like diseases , having raider attack and lodge a bullet into the brain of a colonist causing him to be good for slowly sweeping your base, or harvesting organs and turning people to meat and their skin to hats.

Word? See, this is the one thing I always felt Unreal World was missing. If you're gonna let me stalk and systematically hunt a roving band of Njerpez you drat well should let me make hats and cloaks and belts out of them as well as meals. :argh:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Word? See, this is the one thing I always felt Unreal World was missing. If you're gonna let me stalk and systematically hunt a roving band of Njerpez you drat well should let me make hats and cloaks and belts out of them as well as meals. :argh:

Yup.

I think in the latest release video he shows off a human skin parka for the new temperature system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvK0Q17808g

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Geokinesis posted:

Yup.

I think in the latest release video he shows off a human skin parka for the new temperature system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvK0Q17808g

I was skipping around the video and I got to the part where he's talking about sculpting.

"Oh, turns out this lady has cataracts in BOTH eyes!"

Yeah, I think I'll definitely grab this game when it comes out of EA. :haw:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

There, I'm pretty happy with that. 3-dynamic-color glyphs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Jotun, Who Parts Limbs does not gently caress around :stare: RIP Tough McStrong, you were real good at axes but Jotun was better.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

Jotun, Who Parts Limbs does not gently caress around :stare: RIP Tough McStrong, you were real good at axes but Jotun was better.

Are you that deep into the game in the Steam version?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Oh man, I knew buying Crypt of the Necrodancer would be a bad idea but I had no idea just how much. 8 hours in 2 days. :(

People like Bananasaurus Rex are monsters for being able to be so adept at a game in just ~160 hours.

EDIT: It's especially hilarious because I keep stuttering with everything I do for like ~30 minutes after playing it. Especially with mouse scrolling.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Unormal posted:

Are you that deep into the game in the Steam version?

No. I thought the Steam version was only for Linux or something?

Also, I'm not that deep into the game anymore, either way :haw: Maybe I'll try a hybrid Esper next.

FlaxAxis
Dec 24, 2014

sup #entitlitos
I made this spreadsheet with a list of download links to procedurally-generated games with descriptions. I'm working on adding a fourth column with searchable symbols indicating different aspects of the games (fantasy/scifi, crawler/first-person/platformer, ASCII/graphics, etc). Once I've got that column more or less done I'll move on to adding more games and polishing the descriptions, which as it stands are mostly either lifted from RogueBasin/Steam/official game sites or suggested by others.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FlaxAxis posted:

I made this spreadsheet with a list of download links to procedurally-generated games with descriptions. I'm working on adding a fourth column with searchable symbols indicating different aspects of the games (fantasy/scifi, crawler/first-person/platformer, ASCII/graphics, etc). Once I've got that column more or less done I'll move on to adding more games and polishing the descriptions, which as it stands are mostly either lifted from RogueBasin/Steam/official game sites or suggested by others.

The OP is pretty unwieldy, but I added a link before the games in detail section. Thanks for doing this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FTL bitch report: Easy is a boring slog, switched to Normal. Fights are way more interesting, but making progress is a bitch, probably going to switch back and grind on Easy until more ships are unlocked... maybe. In meantime, I unlocked the Engi ship, and played a quick game on normal.

Very first fight: enemy had missile slinger, an ion cannon that fires three volleys, and a drone neutralizer. Engi starting equipment is a combat drone and single shot ion cannon.

I'm trying not to bounce off of it this time, but some roguelikes you feel like the RNG god hates you, calculating behind the scenes, and it's part of the motivation to keep playing. Some just feel dumb and random, like a roulette wheel. Bleah, it's probably just me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: I spoke too soon, apparently there are people who can maintain a 90% winrate in FTL, which if anything is better than a lot of actual roguelikes. v:shobon:v

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 24, 2014

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Shark Tower posted:

My buddy linked me this article detailing the process behind building randomized floors with connecting rooms. It's a pretty neat read!

Thanks for this, always interested in this stuff for my dream of one day making a game

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: I spoke too soon, apparently there are people who can maintain a 90% winrate in FTL, which if anything is better than a lot of actual roguelikes. v:shobon:v

I don't doubt that a bit, but the previous FTL binges I've had, it's not worth the grind to get that level of proficiency.

I'll say this much though: the harder battles are more fun. Normal is way more fun than Easy, because triumphing over things gone horribly wrong is where FTL shines. Thing is, as a new/unskilled player, you're so hampered by those thrilling battles, that you have very little to look forward to afterward. I get the sense that I'm grinding my way to a meticulous proficiency, even though I'm already pretty good at the core mechanics of the game.

I guess I might be a bit of a casual roguelike player, but I also feel like FTL could stand some improvement. I keep coming back to it, though, because at its soul, it's still a really good game mechanically. I especially love how much of it is keyboard controlled. *Hits ENTER, orders everyone back to stations, feels all captain-y*

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah this is definitely doable, at least on normal mode and with the better ships. There are a couple of ships which are deliberately bad or designed around some weird gimmick, but it's usually obvious which ones those are.

Knowing what to upgrade, and when, is really important. Prioritizing engines is a good idea, because it massively increases your dodge % and lets you escape from battles more easily.

If I had to pick out any one problem with FTL it's that it's too slow in the early game. There's too much waiting around for your weapons to charge. Game really needs a fast forward button.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

EvilMike posted:

If I had to pick out any one problem with FTL it's that it's too slow in the early game. There's too much waiting around for your weapons to charge. Game really needs a fast forward button.

Just like 'O' lets you scoot to the nearest interesting thing in Crawl, a fast forward feature in FTL should slow down (or even pause) when someone fires something, or any action occurs.

Also oxygen should just refill instantly after a battle if all your doors are shut and you have no breaches or fires.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I played FTL once, won on easy, never played again. #1 winrate oh yeah.

Had only the starting gun until the last world, then got lucky and found some ion thing.

Untimely Brigand
Mar 28, 2007
Showing a little love here for Vagante.

Cost: $14.99 on Steam Early Access, free demo on the Vagante website.
Genre: Hybrid Platformer-Roguelike
Graphics: "Dark" pixel art.
Platform: Windows (Mac and Linux "coming soon")
Multiplayer: Local, 4 players.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8bamfbDHUw

Vagante feels like what I wanted to play as soon as Spelunky came out. It has the same brutal gameplay as the latter, but is also knee-deep in rpg features. There are three starting classes that I've seen so far: knight (melee), rogue (ranged), and mage (spellcasting). You aren't limited by your starting class, however; I played as a knight who read a couple spellbooks and had a pretty sweet longbow as a ranged weapon--of course, after getting the longbow, I was knocked off a platform into a bed of spikes. There is some permanent progression; as you unlock secret achievements, you unlock starting traits, of which you can select one at character selection.

You start the game with one affinity point, which you can assign to level up certain traits. A mage, for example, can put a point into "Potion Knowledge" which identifies all potions by default. That affinity can be leveled up to Chemical Transmutation, which allows you to combine two potions to make a new one. It looks like you can level up and gain more affinity points, but I haven't survived long enough to do so.

There is also plenty of itemization--outside of the standard +'s and -'s to stats, there are also some gameplay-enhancing abilities that items can have, like wall-grabbing, water breathing, mana regen, etc. A lot of staple roguelike scrolls (magic mapping, teleportation, etc.) and potions (poison, healing, strength, etc.) can also be found.

Overall, it's pretty fun. You should check out the demo if you're interested.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal! I have a new save file that crashes the game when loaded, and with a different error this time!

Save and log.

This character was doing really well, too. :( I may take a break from True Men for a bit.

Untimely Brigand posted:

This sounds a lot like what I wanted Spelunky and Rogue Legacy to be.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Caves of Qud on Steam with tileset support, it's a christmas miracle!

[CoQ Steam 12-24-2014]
*Tileset support, toggleable in Options
*Fixed issues with zone freeze/thaw
*Fixed issues with save/load
*Fixed issue with deep copies (Temporal Fugue, etc)
*Fixed a bunch of rendering issues
*Fixed pyro and cryo zone rendering

Y̶P̶T̶V̶3̶-̶I̶3̶7̶R̶V̶-̶L̶6̶V̶6̶4̶
G̶3̶6̶Z̶5̶-̶J̶Q̶X̶W̶6̶-̶L̶R̶J̶5̶N̶
2̶9̶C̶0̶M̶-̶8̶N̶L̶D̶E̶-̶0̶7̶P̶J̶7̶
2̶R̶F̶W̶Y̶-̶A̶7̶W̶J̶7̶-̶J̶D̶F̶D̶2̶
A̶4̶G̶5̶F̶-̶6̶E̶B̶T̶5̶-̶5̶A̶Y̶V̶3̶

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 25, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

YPTV3-I37RV-L6V64
G36Z5-JQXW6-LRJ5N
29C0M-8NLDE-07PJ7
2RFWY-A7WJ7-JDFD2
A4G5F-6EBT5-5AYV3

Yaaaaay, I finally got a Unormal key! :dance:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Unormal posted:

A4G5F-6EBT5-5AYV3

Thanks, I look forward to giving this a test. And dying a ton.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Unormal posted:

Caves of Qud on Steam with tileset support, it's a christmas miracle!

[CoQ Steam 12-24-2014]
*Tileset support, toggleable in Options
*Fixed issues with zone freeze/thaw
*Fixed issues with save/load
*Fixed issue with deep copies (Temporal Fugue, etc)
*Fixed a bunch of rendering issues
*Fixed pyro and cryo zone rendering

YPTV3-I37RV-L6V64
G36Z5-JQXW6-LRJ5N
29C0M-8NLDE-07PJ7
2̶R̶F̶W̶Y̶-̶A̶7̶W̶J̶7̶-̶J̶D̶F̶D̶2̶
A4G5F-6EBT5-5AYV3

Thank you. I took 29C0M-8NLDE-07PJ7

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The other two got lurked.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Sooooo...is this normal? OSX 10.9.5, Hackintosh though I doubt it matters.

It never progresses beyond this point, though the frame number in the corner does update.

The game also hangs when I do Command+Q or click the close button on the window.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

I grabbed G36Z5-JQXW6-LRJ5N !

first impression: re-sizing the window to make the tiles more readable makes all the ui text absolutely massive

I'll play till I die or run into a gamestopping bug :banjo:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It never progresses beyond this point, though the frame number in the corner does update.

The game also hangs when I do Command+Q or click the close button on the window.

Gonna say no. Can you e-mail me a log to unormal at gmail.com? (looks like a shader compilation bug. What are you running it on?)

Mac OS X ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

I added a "previousstable" branch that should work for anyone I crushed with a pinkscreen while I fiddle with fixing it, prior tile-less build that worked on OSX.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 25, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Just curious, but how feasible would it be to implement Crawl type tiles for CoQ? (Aside from all the asset work required, I'm curious from a programming perspective)

I don't mind ASCII at all, just asking because it's fun reading through your porting process.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

Just curious, but how feasible would it be to implement Crawl type tiles for CoQ? (Aside from all the asset work required, I'm curious from a programming perspective)

I don't mind ASCII at all, just asking because it's fun reading through your porting process.

At this point I could do anything we wanted, really, it's just "how much work".

The actual tile-renderer can do pretty much whatever I want, it's just using my little 2D engine from Sproggi, but the further I move away from something that can utilize the existing massive codebase the more of an overhault it is to get it done. For example, as soon as I move away from a 1:1 replacement of characters I suddenly have to start re-doing big already-working swaths of code like target pickers, having to create whole new visual effects because I can no longer re-use the character-colorations for status indications, etc. It's not technically infeasable, it's just more and more like writing a whole new game. If I did that, I'd want to actually write a whole new game that wasn't designed by us as terrible inexperienced designers a decade ago, that worked on mobile, etc. So the current solution has the really nice property of re-using a massive amount of existing code, which will let us get it shipped, and let us focus any actual work we do it on content, rather than just refactoring existing stuff to get it to work.

While not skyrim, I think this solution will make it accessible to people who like roguelikes but just can't read ASCII, and be a pretty finite chunk of work to get complete:

Unormal fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 25, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ok, just posted a new build that should fix this. Hit me up with a log if it still doesn't work.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Untimely Brigand posted:

Cost: $14.99 on Steam Early Access, free demo on the Vagante website.
Genre: Hybrid Platformer-Roguelike
Graphics: "Dark" pixel art.
Platform: Windows (Mac and Linux "coming soon")
Multiplayer: Local, 4 players.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8bamfbDHUw

Vagante feels like what I wanted to play as soon as Spelunky came out. It has the same brutal gameplay as the latter, but is also knee-deep in rpg features. There are three starting classes that I've seen so far: knight (melee), rogue (ranged), and mage (spellcasting). You aren't limited by your starting class, however; I played as a knight who read a couple spellbooks and had a pretty sweet longbow as a ranged weapon--of course, after getting the longbow, I was knocked off a platform into a bed of spikes. There is some permanent progression; as you unlock secret achievements, you unlock starting traits, of which you can select one at character selection.

You start the game with one affinity point, which you can assign to level up certain traits. A mage, for example, can put a point into "Potion Knowledge" which identifies all potions by default. That affinity can be leveled up to Chemical Transmutation, which allows you to combine two potions to make a new one. It looks like you can level up and gain more affinity points, but I haven't survived long enough to do so.

There is also plenty of itemization--outside of the standard +'s and -'s to stats, there are also some gameplay-enhancing abilities that items can have, like wall-grabbing, water breathing, mana regen, etc. A lot of staple roguelike scrolls (magic mapping, teleportation, etc.) and potions (poison, healing, strength, etc.) can also be found.

Overall, it's pretty fun. You should check out the demo if you're interested.

This is pretty fun but the spikes/falling block instagibs feel really out place/pace when the rest of the game is kinda slow.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Ok, just posted a new build that should fix this. Hit me up with a log if it still doesn't work.

Well, it's better...

Kind of. :v:

Graphics card is an ATI Radeon 5770, 1024MB. Log sent to what I seem to recall is your email, unormal at gmail.

Also the game still hangs when I try to quit, but that's easily fixed with a force-quit.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The default keybinds don't have any ranged weapon keys bound besides reload.

e: and changing them made it puke out an error that's in your email.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Shark Tower posted:

This was a good read

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Merry Christmas, Roguelike Thread <3

The game's tapestry is so woven with goonfiber and has been for years: kickstarter, early testing, bouncing ideas around, introducing me to new games, and just good ol fashioned roguelike chatter. Being in the company of other unrepentant nerds who were super excited to spend holiday time seeking out tiny new roguelikes and/or writing their own was a huge inspiration for me to create and finish Dungeonmans, both the 2009 for fun version and the world class goty 20XX version available now on Steam, which you might get through one of these keys.

70YM4-GP8N5-FJG9T
ATK7A-GF6CV-90ZDY
3K06B-74M20-L3VJT
CHZ6G-N688F-925ZE
QV7NL-JLRR9-IZ0AQ
0D08D-FK9FF-FYV54
BRQ7Q-YFWI7-YNGPL
RIXPV-YML0Z-2X7E7
W96BA-EVQM6-WWBE4
YFGRD-927L8-YKE05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU