Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

pentyne posted:

That was a weird episode. Also, Robert does not know how to throw a punch at all. That looked like some random flailing around more then anything.

Hugh Bonneville and Richard E. Grant old man fighting was the best thing this entire season. I kept expecting one of them to break a hip.

Also, :allears: :love: Richard E. Grant :love: :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mouse Dresser posted:

Hugh Bonneville and Richard E. Grant old man fighting was the best thing this entire season. I kept expecting one of them to break a hip.

Also, :allears: :love: Richard E. Grant :love: :allears:

For a second I almost thought Robert was doing the "two fist strike" Star Trek thing that Kirk constantly did, but then I realized it was basically just an arm flail and a tackle.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Where the loving gently caress is this police investigation subplot going even, it's incoherent.

Glad they ditched Communist Teacher. Randy Art Dude subplot had a satisfying conclusion.

If Downton Abbey just became "worse and worse things happen to Edith" I would probably keep watching. Enjoying the endless karmic bitchslap of ghost Mr. Pamuk.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Edith is calling a hitman to murder the farmer family so she can "adopt" her daughter. She inadvertently calls the Nazi Party and ends up hiring her fiance's murderers.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The twist with that is it won't be that her fiance was murdered by Nazis, it'll be that he became a Nazi.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Oh dear, is this show going to try to pull Anna-did-it-and-Bates-just-went-down-to-London-to-visit-her?

Maybe not, but who knows.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Onomarchus posted:

Oh dear, is this show going to try to pull Anna-did-it-and-Bates-just-went-down-to-London-to-visit-her?

Maybe not, but who knows.
No, they will just strongly hint at that and then pussy out and return to the status quo.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
god drat it when are carson and mrs hughes gonna start boning?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Am I wrong, or did they really say that Hitler himself probably murdered Michael?

:smug:

"He probably won't even do five years." No, Robert, but he will write a book, see, and....

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I stopped watching with the end of season 3. It was a good ending to the show. Never saw the christmas special either so no random death for no reason

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I stopped watching with the end of season 3. It was a good ending to the show. Never saw the christmas special either so no random death for no reason
And in a shocking plot twist the surprise death for this season will be Isis.

At least it looks as if the bates murder case will finally come to a conclusion.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Bates is smart enough to buy two return tickets, and leave one unripped for an alibi. He also killed his ex wife and probably poisoned Isis as well.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

Bates is smart enough to buy two return tickets, and leave one unripped for an alibi. He also killed his ex wife and probably poisoned Isis as well.

Don't forget about Mr. Pamuk.

Edit: Now that I think about it Downton Abbey would be a much better show if it was about Mr. Bates, Serial Killer Valet.

smg77 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 29, 2014

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
A guy from where I used to live went as Downton Abbey for Halloween. I thought it was pretty cute.

http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/downton_abbey/downton_abbey_costume.html

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Allright, last two episodes. Let's recap this series

- Mary flits between men, again
- Bates, is suspected of murder, again
- Tom starts to feel out of place, again
- Edith has the one farmer raise her kid, ends up deciding to take her child and raise her
- Isabel is getting married to a peer
- Thomas acts like an rear end in a top hat to everyone, again, tries some painful anti gay cure
- Robert acts like a complete rear end in a top hat to someone, acts semi-contrite and apologizes the next day, again
- Rose chases a "forbidden" romance (at least he's rich and white-ish), again

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Oh, and the dog dies.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Edith getting upstaged by Isis was hilarious. Even the dog is more loved by the family than she is.

I can only imagine the actress severely pissed off the writer at some point.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 3, 2014

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"I thought I would look in on Marigold"

"It's not a good time m'lady"

-Downton Abbey season 5

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Next season, Scotland Yard investigates Bates on allegations he murdered Isis with cancer. Edith sends her daughter to boarding school in Hiroshima, Japan.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't know why you guys are all surprised that this soap opera is a soap opera.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I wonder if we are finally going to get Tom Branson and Lady Mary together, an idea that needs to happen precisely because it is so bad.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Onomarchus posted:

I wonder if we are finally going to get Tom Branson and Lady Mary together, an idea that needs to happen precisely because it is so bad.

I've been telling my wife that this is going to happen every episode since last season. There's just enough happening to keep this plausible and it drives my wife nuts. I will be so happy if it ever happens just for my wife's reaction.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
What a stupid way to make a "shocking twist"

The detective in this case could not have been trying harder to get Bates to admit any information they could use to arrest him. Oh, a new witness suddenly came forth, and just so happens to be able to ID the killer? Arresting Anna is just the police trying to force Bates to confess because they obviously think he's guilty and can't prove it. I assume the detective in charge has a grudge against Bates for getting off on the murder of his wife and has settled on the fact that Bates killed Greene for his rape of Anna. And Ms. Hughes is clearly distraught because she knows who killed Greene (she did) and the only way to free Anna is to confess.

The rest of the episode was boring as hell, just more "Don't race mix" only with a Jewish flair and something about a new servant getting fleeced in a gambling den.

Oh, and Robert somehow figured out that Meredith is Edith's child.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tom and Mary? Are you blind?

Julian Fellowes has worked for seasons and seasons for setting up the perfect Lady Mary and Carson ship. It would be such a wonderful union, two who understand eachother. Carson would be a true father for Matthew Crawley Jr. and a true son-in-law for Lord Grantham. The house would be restored to full service, with between-maids and hallboys alert and liveried at every doorway, a full time silver polisher in the basement and clean exchange plates at every place setting.

And whats more, true love would at last ring through the Abbey.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

pentyne posted:

What a stupid way to make a "shocking twist"

The detective in this case could not have been trying harder to get Bates to admit any information they could use to arrest him. Oh, a new witness suddenly came forth, and just so happens to be able to ID the killer? Arresting Anna is just the police trying to force Bates to confess because they obviously think he's guilty and can't prove it. I assume the detective in charge has a grudge against Bates for getting off on the murder of his wife and has settled on the fact that Bates killed Greene for his rape of Anna. And Ms. Hughes is clearly distraught because she knows who killed Greene (she did) and the only way to free Anna is to confess.

The rest of the episode was boring as hell, just more "Don't race mix" only with a Jewish flair and something about a new servant getting fleeced in a gambling den.

Oh, and Robert somehow figured out that Meredith is Edith's child.

The eyewitness isn't even sure what gender the person was who surprised the valet before he died.

The police know that the valet had raped a whole bunch of women but suspects Anna because of reasons.

Where was Anna when the accident happened anyway?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Yet another interaction between Robert and the police that in reality would have ended in "I am a Peer of the Realm. gently caress off."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Yet another interaction between Robert and the police that in reality would have ended in "I am a Peer of the Realm. gently caress off."

Yeah, "I'll offer my surety" would meant that any cop would've had to stop and accept that and come back in the light of day. The entire event could not have been more orchestrated to upset Bates in order to prompt a spontaneous confession.

I'll be amazed if the plot doesn't get resolved in the Christmas special with the lead detective being outed as having a agenda against Bates and the whole thing falls apart. The original Bates storyline was interesting because for a while it really seemed like Bates could've killed his ex-wife, but Anna is so blatantly innocent it's not like it could even go to trial.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I don't know, I think that might have worked pre-20th century, but not in modern day 1920s Britain. I'm sure Robert can probably telephone the Home Office and get Anna off, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I did like Mary's "It's not miss!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I know this has been mentioned before, but apparently this show takes place in some weird alternate universe where 1920s Scotland Yard would actually give a poo poo about some commoner dude who fell off a bridge (I think?) in London like 2 years ago in what was declared an accident at the time, with no urging from any surviving family or anything. Maybe there is literally no other crime that happens and that have nothing else to do?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Well, Bates did beat the Old Bill by getting out of murdering his first wife, thanks to plucky Sarah Bates, so perhaps Scotland Yard had a grudge against him so they checked the name of every death during the season against a copy of Debretts' until they could find some thin unsolved thread to pin back on him?

Its not like cops back then had developed an us vs. them mindset and would expend massive resources working through old grudges while letting the rest of the caseload rot... right?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know this has been mentioned before, but apparently this show takes place in some weird alternate universe where 1920s Scotland Yard would actually give a poo poo about some commoner dude who fell off a bridge (I think?) in London like 2 years ago in what was declared an accident at the time, with no urging from any surviving family or anything. Maybe there is literally no other crime that happens and that have nothing else to do?

Not only that, but they spent months traveling all over the UK questioning people, or in reality just Anna.

For a rehashed plot from 3 seasons ago, the only someone redeeming outcome would be that the Detective in Charge, the same one who rebuffed Robert's attempt to offer his surety for Anna, was in fact pretty much dead set on Bates being the killer once he learned that Greene had raped several women matching the description of Bates wife when he was a lord's estate, and that Greene had visited Grantham estate and died shortly after his second visit.

There's literally no evidence with which to even arrest Anna. Some mysterious witness (who saw but not enough to know a gender) who appeared a few months after the first witness suddenly came forward? Even by corrupt 1920s London police standards that would get shredded by a competent lawyer, or quashed outright by a peer like Robert.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Notable lack of excitement for the special. Isn't anyone else on the edge of their seats for the thrilling "Anna is in jail" plot?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Oh yeah. I guess i could go watch that or something.

Since this thread got bumped, I've been meaning to ask, what the gently caress is going on with the scene transitions in this show? They frequently cut off at random, early times, often in the middle of a note of the background music. It's jarring and distracting and it's like the producers don't even watch the final cut. The only time I've ever seen anything like it was in Red Letter Media videos, where they do it on purpose as a joke.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Since this thread got bumped, I've been meaning to ask, what the gently caress is going on with the scene transitions in this show? They frequently cut off at random, early times, often in the middle of a note of the background music. It's jarring and distracting and it's like the producers don't even watch the final cut. The only time I've ever seen anything like it was in Red Letter Media videos, where they do it on purpose as a joke.

It's been really prominent recently when they jump scenes really quickly, like barely a minute between transitions. The music cutting off seems to be a deliberate thing, I guess to heighten the drama.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Someone on reddit mentioned that the original BBC/ITV (?) airings have transition interstitials there that get cut from the stuff people download, so it makes more sense with those there (the music continues).

Fun Christmas episode, a big ol Awwww Yissssss moment when the proposal goes out. The guy that Mary was totally macking on, he was on Boardwalk Empire wasn't he? He looks super familiar. Mary certainly loves her bad boys.

I also thought George Clooney was supposed to show up in the x-mas special...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Well the epsisode was sort of crap but now we have the prospect of watching Carson and Hughes awkwardly make the most English of love so the next 10 months should fly by.

Poor Andy. Thrust right into the Daisy-Thomas axis of season-long unrequited love on his first week on the job.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
I've seen the first three series and a bit of the fourth. The show simultaneously intrigues and disgusts me. I'm intrigued in that I love period pieces but am repelled by the way the show seems to somewhat glorify the class system. I feel angry for the "downnstairs" characters and the sheer power that the upstairs people have over them, and a frequent occurrence in this series are moments when an upper-class person intervenes kindly on behalf of their servants and everyone is happy. I feel sorry for Mr. Mosley and the way he's ever so eager to please and fearful about either retaining his position or hopeful of gaining one when he's terminated. I know in reality these upstairs people all probably derive immense pleasure and satisfaction from their position in society and their status and power over their practically groveling servants.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ZergFluid posted:

I've seen the first three series and a bit of the fourth. The show simultaneously intrigues and disgusts me. I'm intrigued in that I love period pieces but am repelled by the way the show seems to somewhat glorify the class system. I feel angry for the "downnstairs" characters and the sheer power that the upstairs people have over them, and a frequent occurrence in this series are moments when an upper-class person intervenes kindly on behalf of their servants and everyone is happy. I feel sorry for Mr. Mosley and the way he's ever so eager to please and fearful about either retaining his position or hopeful of gaining one when he's terminated. I know in reality these upstairs people all probably derive immense pleasure and satisfaction from their position in society and their status and power over their practically groveling servants.

You must hate watching like, everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

spronk posted:

I also thought George Clooney was supposed to show up in the x-mas special...

He was in a special they did, but not in the actual Christmas special. It's a parody played by the same actors and it's great, you should look it up on Youtube.

• Locked thread